Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Stexils posted:

i know 0 about any of these VNs in the humble other than root double, which i already own and read. can someone give their impressions?
I uninstalled and returned Sound of Drop by about the fourth time I got an inconsistent and illogical death. Like, sometimes staying put and hiding is the right thing to do, other times you have to rush forward with no other concerns, and there is never any indication about which would make more sense. It's just "do you go left or right" and poo poo like that. The narrative and characters weren't nearly interesting enough to put up with that nonsense.

Fault is enjoyable though, even if the almost total lack of even minor dialogue choices makes me sad. At least let me inconsequentially roleplay a little. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I uninstalled and returned Sound of Drop by about the fourth time I got an inconsistent and illogical death. Like, sometimes staying put and hiding is the right thing to do, other times you have to rush forward with no other concerns, and there is never any indication about which would make more sense. It's just "do you go left or right" and poo poo like that. The narrative and characters weren't nearly interesting enough to put up with that nonsense.

Fault is enjoyable though, even if the almost total lack of even minor dialogue choices makes me sad. At least let me inconsequentially roleplay a little. :smith:

I'll always remember the Tsukihime choice like that. "Do I run or fight?". If you run, giant shark in the elevator. It's as ludicrous as it sounds out of context.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My favorite non-sequitur choice was in Hourglass of Summer: 'bring her some flowers' immediately becomes 'so I decided to steal some flowers and got arrested for it'. No, Mr. VN dude, that's not what I wanted you to do at all.

Which reminds me, did anyone else play those DVD releases like Hourglass of Summer and Ever 17? That has got to be the worst format for a VN ever. Ran slow as hell too.

Edit: To clarify, these games were released on DVDs and could be played in your DVD player or anything else that could run DVD videos like a PS2. They had no save function (obviously) and instead ran on passwords. It was a very inefficient and crappy method for playing a VN that was only used again in Japan for some shady shenanigans on the PSP.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 7, 2017

Selane
May 19, 2006

I don't know what's worse, that or Root Double. Like, I get that people like it, and I kind of liked the three hours that I played of it, but I had to throw in the towel because the gimmick was so dumb and annoying.

"Ok, I want character X to do Y. Now let me figure out how to configure these 27 sliders to make that happen".

Only game I've ever quit playing due to the UI being so bad that I literally could not figure out how to convey my intentions to the game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The DS port of Higurashi was pretty bad, UI-wise. It had you tap on an emotion scale what kind of emotion you want the character to react with. Good luck figuring out what will make you do what.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Getsuya posted:

My favorite non-sequitur choice was in Hourglass of Summer: 'bring her some flowers' immediately becomes 'so I decided to steal some flowers and got arrested for it'. No, Mr. VN dude, that's not what I wanted you to do at all.

:same:

I hate it when MC doesn't follow my directions exactly like TW3 I didn't ask Geralt to hit on that lady I thought she was going to give me a new quest like in all other RPGs. Thanks for ruining my immersion game.

My favorite are non-choices like "Date" or "Do Not Date" from P3/4/5 and how everyone handles rejection from MC-kun. Why is there no "I'm already dating [name]" option ever? This is why I'm always single in NG+

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm OK with some choices that are basically just guesses that may or may not kill you. FSN does this all of the time, and makes the story more engrossing since you don't know if you are in a bad ending or not.

Fata Morgana late game spoiler:

Having gotten a dead end when I chose to follow Maria back to the town made me think that I was in another dead end when the swordsman was torturing Michel. I was genuinely surprised when Mell and Pauline burst into the room.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 7, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Which reminds me, did anyone else play those DVD releases like Hourglass of Summer and Ever 17? That has got to be the worst format for a VN ever. Ran slow as hell too.

I attempted Phantom of Inferno but the text was so painfully slow I had to give up; that format really can't get a sense of pace going in an action story. I don't think Ever17 was ever released like that, though; might you be thinking of Exodus Guilty or something?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Whoring out some non-VN unused bundle keys for anyone who has leftovers from the bundle btw.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Speaking of Ever17 what's with the xbox 360 port of it i'll never get to play? I heard it added new routes, significantly clipped and changed around old routes to remove repitition, and the game itself works a lot better as a result. Has anybody played it to know if that's actually true? What I heard of the remixed music sounds pretty terrible tho

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
I keep starting Steins;Gate and then forgetting about it after near the end of chapter 1 (not the prologue). I hate to say it this way, but does it get more interesting? I've heard great things about it and it hasn't clicked for me so far.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

I keep starting Steins;Gate and then forgetting about it after near the end of chapter 1 (not the prologue). I hate to say it this way, but does it get more interesting? I've heard great things about it and it hasn't clicked for me so far.

There's a lot of in-depth science technobabble that doesn't go away for like ten hours, so if that's not your bag then i'm gonna say drop

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

I attempted Phantom of Inferno but the text was so painfully slow I had to give up; that format really can't get a sense of pace going in an action story. I don't think Ever17 was ever released like that, though; might you be thinking of Exodus Guilty or something?

Oh it might be because the PC release was at the same time I thought they were in the same boat.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Absolutely yes

It really does get better and has a fantastic final third imo

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Obviously up to individual taste, but I found the first third or so of the game (as said above, around the first eight to ten hours) to be paced a bit too slowly. Interesting stuff was happening, but several scenes seemed longer than they should've been, and it could get really dull at times. The game really picked up from there though, and is truly fantastic at times, particularly towards the end. If you've tried it multiple times and the game's just really not clicking with you though, then the anime adaption's really well done if you wanted to try that instead. Personally I thought it was paced better, since the relatively unexciting beginning part was more like eight episodes instead of eight hours.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Steins;Gate is a slow burn, but personally I missed a lot of that stuff from the beginning when I was watching the anime.

Alder posted:

:same:

I hate it when MC doesn't follow my directions exactly like TW3 I didn't ask Geralt to hit on that lady I thought she was going to give me a new quest like in all other RPGs. Thanks for ruining my immersion game.
Walking Dead Season 3 pulled some nonsense like this. At one point one of your dialogue options is "tell your brother off" or something to that effect after you and him are having a fight about how he's an rear end in a top hat or something, and what your character does is out of the blue tell him that his wife is going to leave him after his wife had already asked you to keep this a secret.

It's like, dang, if I thought the dialogue option was going to lead to him saying that I wouldn't have picked it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stefan Prodan posted:

Absolutely yes

It really does get better and has a fantastic final third imo

Nthing this. I'm one of the few people that seemed to enjoy most of the intro to S;G but when poo poo really hits the fan you're going to forgo sleep to get to the true ending. To be honest, I wasn't even really expecting the whole climax of the game, and it was an awesome read.

Getsuya posted:

The DS port of Higurashi was pretty bad, UI-wise. It had you tap on an emotion scale what kind of emotion you want the character to react with. Good luck figuring out what will make you do what.

Reactions? In Higurashi?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Reactions? In Higurashi?

The DS version is a single game with branches rather than separate chapters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Steins;Gate has a pretty decisive ramp point up point, after which the story never looks back and contains most of the most memorable moments. But I don't think it could work without that slower build up, since it does all the legwork for establishing the characters and that "simpler/happier" time that you'll come to desire a return to after it takes off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Edit: To clarify, these games were released on DVDs and could be played in your DVD player or anything else that could run DVD videos like a PS2. They had no save function (obviously) and instead ran on passwords. It was a very inefficient and crappy method for playing a VN that was only used again in Japan for some shady shenanigans on the PSP.

Dragon's Lair got a similar release years ago. You are basically playing a highly nested DVD menu in these things.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Famitsu has been publishing a "user survey best-games-of-all-time-in-a-genre" series of articles for the last few weeks, and this week it's the adventure game round. The list contains some things that aren't pure VNs, but most of them are:

20. Dream Club Gogo
19. Policenauts
18. Famicom Detective Club Part 2
17. EVE burst error
16. Ghost Trick
15. Portopia Serial Murder Case
14. Ace Attorney 3
13. Snathcer
12. Yu-no
11. Super Dangan Ronpa 2
10. Chaos Child
9. Ever17
8. New Dangan Ronpa V3
7. Raging Loop (aka the one game in this list I wasn't aware of before)
6. Kamaitachi no Yoru
5. Machi (aka the translation I really have to get back to)
4. Dangan Ronpa
3. Ace Attorney 1
2. 428
1. Steins;Gate

There are some things here I wasn't expecting (as a personal interest, the relative rankings of the DR games as opposed to conceived superfan perceptions of their acceptance), but most of it was predictable, I guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I'd put Ace Attorney 3 over the first game.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

orenronen posted:

7. Raging Loop (aka the one game in this list I wasn't aware of before)
Honestly I suspect brigading here. A list full of decades-old classics and one new IP that's only been out a handful of months? Even if it is somehow one of the greatest of all time it's hard to believe it's had long enough to make its way to number 7 in the public consciousness.

orenronen posted:

6. Kamaitachi no Yoru
For those who don't know the English name for this is "Banshee's Last Cry". I've had it sitting around for years; I should really get around to playing it but the dry presentation makes it tough going.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think Banshee's Last Cry is necessarily great to play today, though it's nice to have some version of a heavily influential weirdo game like that available in English in some form.

I'd be curious to know what people think of the localization of the iOS version too.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I don't think Banshee's Last Cry is necessarily great to play today, though it's nice to have some version of a heavily influential weirdo game like that available in English in some form.

I'd be curious to know what people think of the localization of the iOS version too.

I think the original Kamaitachi is still a great game - it's a pretty good murder mystery written by an actual mystery novel writer, and it still holds up even before you add the post-main-story crazy routes it adds. You also can actually get a modern take on it - a Vita remake was just published a couple of months ago. The text seems to be mostly the same but the graphics were completely redone with anime sensibilities and full voice acting, plus it has an extra route from Ryukishi07. It seems perfectly fine from the little I've seen on Youtube, but it did take lots of criticism from fans of the original moody silhouette graphics version.

The first thing to know about the iOS version is that even in Japanese it was an attempt to grab the attention of mystery lovers who don't play video games and haven't played the original, and so the text was modernized so the story takes place in the 2010s instead of the '90s, and the graphics are completely new real-location photos without any on-screen characters - silhouetted or otherwise. The localization was done by Jeremy Blaustein, best known for his Metal Gear Solid work, so the writing is great. It *is* one of those localizations that takes huge liberties with the text and changes the location from Japan to America, though, which I don't particularly like in games written by actual literary authors.

Finally, the likelihood of the game's sequels being released in the west are minuscule, but the game localization does make it incompatible with their stories, since they all are much more explicitly set in Japan and use Japanese mythology as a background.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 8, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://steamcommunity.com/games/286260/announcements/detail/894345997988029146

quote:

Some of you already know but we and Sekai Project have been working on a second set of translations for milestone one that is 100% faithful to the original Japanese text. It is consistent with the tone of ms2a as well because they are both done now by the same person. This update has been in the works for a very long time now and we hope you all enjoy either a second read or the first more accurate dive into the world of fault.

Also very importantly, the original version is not gone! It will be forever saved on a branch where you can always revert to if you liked the first version. But from this point on, the author of the series, Munisix, considers the second version (the one that will be automatically downloaded when purchased by default) canon.

So they actually redid the translation for that game?
The original release was really weird. It wasn't really bad or the usual "translation vs localization" stuff, it was more like "here's an original fantasy story based on the same plot outline and characters" instead of a translation.
Like they completely replaced the magic system with something else, including the ingame encyclopedia entries for it. And they invented pseudo-german terms for everything, which was completely absent in the japanese original.

Speaking of which...I have a spare key for that game now. Does anyone want it?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 8, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tamba posted:

The original release was really weird. It wasn't really bad or the usual "translation vs localization" stuff, it was more like "here's an original fantasy story based on the same plot outline and characters" instead of a translation.
Like they completely replaced the magic system with something else, including the ingame encyclopedia entries for it. And they invented pseudo-german terms for everything, which was completely absent in the japanese original.

Speaking of which...I have a spare key for that game now. Does anyone want it?

I'll take the spare key if it's still available. Thanks.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It is, PM sent

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tamba posted:

That's way overselling it. The two translations aren't so different that you'd really notice, and you certainly wouldn't notice any inconsistency between 1 and 2a.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

That's way overselling it. The two translations aren't so different that you'd really notice, and you certainly wouldn't notice any inconsistency between 1 and 2a.

Looking into it a bit more, it seems to be a bit more complicated than that.
I played the game immediately when it came out, switching between the japanese and the english text, and there were large differences, especially when it came to the magic system, which used terms like "shift", "commit" and "bless" to describe the process of casting magic. They also had entries in the encyclopedia:

The current version looks like this though, which matches the current english version.

Maybe the original release of the game included an old version of the japanese script, while the english translation was already based on a more recent, heavily edited version of the japanese script that only got patched in at a later point?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't remember the first translation not using those terms, but that was a couple of years ago and I don't trust my memory, so you could well be right. I do remember barely noticing any difference when I read the new one when that came out last year, though.

Those extra encyclopedia entries are still in ms2, so my best guess is that taking them out of 1 was a design decision - they didn't want to let people overwhelm themselves with The Lore right away. You could ask them on Twitter or something if you want to know for sure.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i'm really enjoying world end economica. outside of a few dumb VN scenes having the plot center around breaking into the financial world via moon stock trading is refreshingly unique

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

:thunk:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

When games emulate real life...

Also KW is now available on ALL platforms coming soon:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Root Double is Route B then A, right?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

yeah. honestly i really don't know why they even have the option of a there to start given that reading it would completely ruin the mystery of the first part.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's route A then B. You do the routes in alphabetical order.

Doing B first ruins a huge twist in Route A.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

Root Double is Route B then A, right?

What? No, Route A then Route B. There is complete consensus on this. :colbert:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

do the route with the orange jumpsuit guy first. i forget which is which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A first does probably make more sense. Although I don't think B first is a disaster, doing it that way would lead to some huge twists of its own.