Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Too bad, they looked pretty neat. Actually, are there any other survival crafting games worth checking out? There's Ark, but that looks like its only good if you have a crew (Neebs has a long rear end Lets play of that they update every saturday too).

The fact I can avoid poo poo in the seamoth makes me dread using the Cyclops or the Prawn Suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ARK is very bad. The Long Dark is cool if you can accept that you will die at some point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Efexeye posted:

ARK is very bad. The Long Dark is cool if you can accept that you will die at some point.

I'm playing Dark Souls on and off, so that's not really a problem.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Long Dark is really good, though not a building game like Subnautica - you can craft some items but it's almost totally about survival and exploration. It just got an update yesterday that's the last Early Access update before it officially launches in August so now would be a good time to pick it up. I highly recommend it, although it can be frustrating (you will indeed die at some point, probably early the first few games). Death is permanent too, no savescumming allowed.

The Forest is worth checking out, it's similar to Subnautica in that it can't decide if it wants to be a building game or a story-driven game. The building mechanics are decent and it's pretty fun to fight the cannibals. It really shines in multiplayer, great way to kill an evening with a couple people - build a bigass fortress and wage war on the cannibals.

vv that is pretty steep, yikes. I got it for $10 in the Steam winter sale and that was a steal, $20 is probably the sweet spot for just sandbox mode - the story may make it worth the extra $15, idk

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 8, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
TLD's price has jumped up a good deal though, $35 now. If you're in no rush to play it might want to wait to see if it gets a good summer sale discount.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If you just like the pretty underwater stuff, I really really enjoyed Abzu. It's a two hour game but it feels like a really good two hour trip on psychedelics in terms of the emotional beats it hits. (The game itself isn't psychedelic as far as visuals are concerned.)

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, Words Adrift is totally a crafting sim with a ton of similar elements to Subnautica, both environmental and gameplay related. Check it out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i want something that has what Subnautica has, crafting, base building and exploration. That's what I was initially interested in Ark.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I got ARK for free and I want my money back.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

dylguy90 posted:

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, Words Adrift is totally a crafting sim with a ton of similar elements to Subnautica, both environmental and gameplay related. Check it out.

Would be nice to but apparently they don't want many people to play it. It goes on sale for a day and then is unavailable for X months, from what I gather.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Zesty posted:

I got ARK for free and I want my money back.

A coworker of mine and I were talking about games and he tried to sell me really hard on ARK , brought up web pages and videos of trailers and ranted about dinosaurs vs machine guns..

I haven't talked to him since.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Neebs has a whole series where they play Ark. They make it look fun, but that's more because they're dumb and are assholes to each other. Some of the poo poo in that game does look annoying as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1Uou2DWH7IGqPVmuAz1nsUl56c8js20p

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I got ark when it was on sale a couple weeks ago and I'm having fun with it singleplayer. Its far more sandboxy than subnautica but I like dinosaurs and surviving in a hostile world with lots of different, varied threats.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It used to be a decent game, but the devs ramped up the timesinks to an absurd level and added new bad mechanics to appeal to the poopsock guilds who drive every normal person out of the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Warbadger posted:

It used to be a decent game, but the devs ramped up the timesinks to an absurd level and added new bad mechanics to appeal to the poopsock guilds who drive every normal person out of the game.

Speaking of which.

Devs are pimping "Silent running 2.0" to fix the fact silent running is a "Get out of jail free card".

Silent running is now an Ability. It will now last 30 seconds, and have a 2 MINUTE cooldown. (But you can use it at high speed for said 30 seconds!, that makes it still good right?)

New feature include: Turning off your engines entirely so you don't make aggro inducing sounds with your stationary submarine! (Starting up your engines again takes time).

Flanking speed is faster! (But will set your ship on fire after 20 seconds. When? Heat is a hidden value!-*bursts into flames during silent running*)

Continue to drive slowly everywhere at minimum speed, because that's the speed you maybe possible won't get noticed by a reaper in!

Finally removing the energy loop! Enjoy sitting around your base waiting for stacks of power cells to recharge.

Oh and I guess shields might finally maybe do their job. ("Almost identical to the seamoth perimeter defense" Because your giant submarine clearly doesn't rate better defenses than the baby sub)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/1354868867713060131/

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 9, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Have they added solar panels to cyclops finally? Also, lol @ no heat gauge, my loving Yugo had a heat gauge

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Truga posted:

Have they added solar panels to cyclops finally? Also, lol @ no heat gauge, my loving Yugo had a heat gauge

:pgi: is proud that Subnautica has embraced Ghost Heat.

EDIT: :sigh: already got someone saying they don't like that the shield will repel predators (You know, like the Seamoth). That's the community mindset that keeps distracting the devs from all the cooler parts of the game. People upset that your giant submarine features do their job, not simply set you on fire for having the nerve to turn it on.

Saying this kind of thing out of context sounds like a loving parody of sandbox gamers. "Our players complained the vehicle features were working. So we added more reasons for it to guaranteed catch on fire if you use them. Defensive powers now buffed to match the smallest vehicle in the game." But no, literally happening.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 9, 2017

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Why do they pay attention to these troglodytes anyway? The company already has their money, they're not obligated to do what anyone says.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Because its easier to artificially slow down how fast players "consume" the game than it is to add stuff to actually extend the content

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol gently caress those changes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Carcer posted:

Because its easier to artificially slow down how fast players "consume" the game than it is to add stuff to actually extend the content

Riveting gameplay to some, it seems.

quote:

Pushing My Cyclops Back to Base
I was heading back to my sea base from the Koosh/Bulb Zone when I realised the Cyclopse had 2%. I am very new to the Cyclops and I'm not used to managing the power supply (nor do I have a power cell charger). Already accepting the fact that the Cyclopse was not going to make it back, I planned to push her all the way to my sea base. She died a little over a 1,000 Meters from my base. I spent almost an hour last night pushing the Cyclops. We are now a little over 300 Meters away. I plan on pushing her all the way back today.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, jeb getting out of the rocket and pushing it the last couple m/s to get back home instead of barrelling into the void was really cool, but that's not how submarines work.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Jesus christ, that reads like something from April 1st. Do the devs literally hate fun?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:shepicide:

I think i'll just watch the Neebs LP or something like that instead of playing if the changes continues in this direction.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i want something that has what Subnautica has, crafting, base building and exploration. That's what I was initially interested in Ark.

7 days to die is a good base building, crafting, and exploration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Riveting gameplay to some, it seems.

As opposed to gluing two batteries together and sticking them in the reactor?

You can make new, charged powercells.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well hey, they implementing that zappy sheild thing I suggested ages ago, well thats somthing at least. Ghost heat though, what the gently caress?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

Speaking of which.

Devs are pimping "Silent running 2.0" to fix the fact silent running is a "Get out of jail free card".

Silent running is now an Ability. It will now last 30 seconds, and have a 2 MINUTE cooldown. (But you can use it at high speed for said 30 seconds!, that makes it still good right?)

New feature include: Turning off your engines entirely so you don't make aggro inducing sounds with your stationary submarine! (Starting up your engines again takes time).

Flanking speed is faster! (But will set your ship on fire after 20 seconds. When? Heat is a hidden value!-*bursts into flames during silent running*)

Continue to drive slowly everywhere at minimum speed, because that's the speed you maybe possible won't get noticed by a reaper in!

Finally removing the energy loop! Enjoy sitting around your base waiting for stacks of power cells to recharge.

Oh and I guess shields might finally maybe do their job. ("Almost identical to the seamoth perimeter defense" Because your giant submarine clearly doesn't rate better defenses than the baby sub)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/1354868867713060131/

I thought this was a joke until I looked at the link. Holy poo poo.

I had a lot of respect for unknown worlds from natural selection 2. That is rapidly evaporating. Every change I read from them that makes the game more tedious in service to the git-gudders while failing to address literally anything about the slideshow performance on competent systems is making me less and less confident they're going to pull this off.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
lol they're dressing the new SR changes as "Giving players agency".

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Man this game is going to be my last early access game. I've only done it a few times and 90% have been a shitshow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I had a lot of fun with it and I'll have more when 1.0 is finally out. :shrug:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

I thought this was a joke until I looked at the link. Holy poo poo.

I had a lot of respect for unknown worlds from natural selection 2. That is rapidly evaporating. Every change I read from them that makes the game more tedious in service to the git-gudders while failing to address literally anything about the slideshow performance on competent systems is making me less and less confident they're going to pull this off.

If it helps, even internet pals I've known for over a decade still have to stop and confirm if I'm just joking, or bringing up the millionth "Oddly specific example, that is true" when it comes to gaming.

But yes, the fact it really does read like an SA frontpage joke patch notes article doesn't help matters.

Carcer posted:

lol they're dressing the new SR changes as "Giving players agency".

Having a wrench and psychic powers I can murder things with in System Shock 2 while still being terrified of lab monkeys trying to kill me is agency.

These days though, actual agency is a dirty word while people berate you for "Overusing your flamethrower" in Alien Isolation, having expected a flamethrower in an aliens game to kill some xenos rather than just be a mild inconvenience for them to walk through unscathed and eat your face.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 9, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

With all of those changes, why the gently caress would you want to use the Cyclops? It's probably going to be more resource efficient to make a string of bases that you can just Seamoth/PRAWN to instead of having to deal with a deep sea Yugo.

I really wish they'd stop listening to the kids huffing paint in the corner.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Mr Hootington posted:

7 days to die is a good base building, crafting, and exploration.

It's the most satisfying one I've played (out of ARK, The Forest, Subnautica and The Long Dark). I think there are elements of those other games that do it better than 7DTD (Subnautica is more polished overall, Forest has more interesting enemies, etc) but 7DTD is the one I keep coming back to.

I haven't touched Subnautica in a while, and every time I think about coming back I read this thread and :whitewater: Part of me wants to wait till it hits final but they keep pushing it back...

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I just want them to finish the loving story.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
At this point I am wondering why they are even bothering with the thing and not just outright removing it if they wanna cripple it that badly.

Like, the Cyclops during it's peak days wasn't all that interesting since it was basically just a slow, clunky mobile base that due to it's size and cameras and all that never felt like it was great for exploring since you had to get low to the sea floor to see poo poo but you would then also just keep bumping around the uneven terrain. I wouldn't have minded if they did some change to make it a more intereting vehicle but if anything they just continue making it more tedious.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The cyclops should really have the sonar be a passive and constant effect because you can't maneuver otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

These days though, actual agency is a dirty word while people berate you for "Overusing your flamethrower" in Alien Isolation, having expected a flamethrower in an aliens game to kill some xenos rather than just be a mild inconvenience for them to walk through unscathed and eat your face.

In fairness, in an Alien (singular) game that's basically exactly what a flamethrower does. It's in the film and everything.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Next update the Cyclops will be made of pure potassium so it explodes the second it touches the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tombot posted:

Next update the Cyclops will be made of pure potassium so it explodes the second it touches the water.

They're actually much more likely to modify it so that it explodes as soon as water touches the engine, but yeah pretty much.