Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

"interesting world"

Its the most generic looking scifi game ever.

The Fat Controller Laughed, You Are Wrong.jpg

edit: Also the discussion from a number of pages ago about the Souls series' lack of color is pretty relevant because the colors in The Surge are very vibrant which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If the Surge has anything interesting going for its setting it sure hides it well. I spent several hours watching people stream it and all they did was beat up machines and mech-zombies in grey hallways and occasionally outside in a different ruined area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The end of the game has you fighting suped-up body horror nanomachine zombies made out of crystals so I'd say it ramps up pretty nicely. Also, the game's near-ish-future aesthetic is really cool and refreshing. Whereas most sci-fi goes for body augmentation, The Surge goes for exo-suits. The technology looks cumbersome, slightly unwieldy, and held together with bubblegum and duct tape as it well should.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Internet Kraken posted:

"interesting world"

Its the most generic looking scifi game ever.

It's also a terribly designed world, easy to get lost as everything looks the same.

It's just the most boring trash.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 8, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

People complaining about hitboxes in DS2 are just looking for something to complain about, that poo poo's in every Souls game.
Yeah, but it's worse in ds2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's also a terribly designed world, easy to get lost as everything looks the same.

It's just the most boring trash.

It's good to have your eyes open when you're playing a video game.

edit: Though I do wish the maintenance tunnel shortcuts had different appearances because I got kinda tired of the yellow by the time the game was over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, but it's worse in ds2.

I just fought the last boss in DS1 and know it ain't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's good to have your eyes open when you're playing a video game.

Surge is one of the games were it really doesn't matter.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

you can say this is low hanging fruit, you're expected to iframe instead of positioning mattering, blah blah blah, but it does really suck.(ps: you can absolutely outposition most grabs in soulsborne games rather than roll thru them. mimics in ds3 can't even grab you if you strafe them)

also the last giant's stomp hitboxes are really really rear end

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
right click -> uninstall

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
That .gif is pretty much "Dark Souls grapple hitboxes (all titles)" in a nutshell. Ornstein and his spear would produce some marvellous teleportation magic, too.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 8, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah grapples is poo poo. Never had problems with the pursuer but gently caress me if the dancer uses her hand

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have never experienced or seen grapples as bad as ds2 grapples in any other souls game

also see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_cVd9Ow-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7crDxHFe0&t=657s
just a few examples I grabbed just now. there's a lot more obviously

I am one of the people who still thinks ds2 is a good game despite this(and adp, and soul memory) so I'd prefer if we could stop pretending that this isn't a problem that it has.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

IronicDongz posted:

you can say this is low hanging fruit, you're expected to iframe instead of positioning mattering, blah blah blah, but it does really suck.(ps: you can absolutely outposition most grabs in soulsborne games rather than roll thru them. mimics in ds3 can't even grab you if you strafe them)

That is a grab attack, and no you cannot. Almost every single grab attack in Dark Souls history has something questionable about it somewhere.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I have never experienced or seen grapples as bad as ds2 grapples in any other souls game

also see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_cVd9Ow-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF7crDxHFe0&t=657s
just a few examples I grabbed just now. there's a lot more obviously

I am one of the people who still thinks ds2 is a good game despite this(and adp, and soul memory) so I'd prefer if we could stop pretending that this isn't a problem that it has.

That doesn't mean they don't exist.

I have personally never seen DS2 bad grabs but I know they exist.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That gif looks ridiculous, but that's mostly an animation issue. All grabs in the Souls games have a very large hitbox, and the player probably got hit during the roll (lack of iframes due to low ADP). The reason it looks so bad is because the roll animation finishes and then the player is moved to the enemy for the grab, if they had done it the other way (enemy rotation/location "locks on" to player once grab is initiated) it wouldn't look as bad.

All grabs in all souls game are trash though.

e: talking about the Pursuer. Mimics are another can (box? :haw:) of worms, and that goes for all of them in the series too

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Your Computer posted:

All grabs in all souls game are trash though.

All backstabs in DS1 were instant grabs. That is why they had such a pronounced vacuum effect.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

All backstabs in DS1 were instant grabs. That is why they had such a pronounced vacuum effect.

Makes sense, DS1 backstabs were trash.

IronicDongz posted:

No one's saying it's not a problem, it totally is. However it's not a DS2 problem, it's just a DS problem.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

also see:

This particular one is a problem in DS3 too. The mimic's grab hitbox is atrocious and has picked me up when I'm standing behind them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have never gotten grabbed by a mimic while strafing around them in ds3. they always just whiff forwards.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
dark souls may be over but this debate will rage eternally, endlessly repeating in cycles, each age ignorantly retreading steps over and over, until it all collapses unto itself

Keh heh heh heh

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

IronicDongz posted:

I have never gotten grabbed by a mimic while strafing around them in ds3. they always just whiff forwards.

If someone were crazy enough to go through the gargantuan table defining that, they could simply check the parameters, but... good luck with that.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Sorry, i did not mean, there is an issue with the game. I just grow really tired of the "DarkSouls 2? B TEAM! B TEAM! B TEAM! Myazaki save us!" approach of most of the discussions on this title.

DS2 hitboxes were always strange. Part seems to be hoe they changed the roll i-frames mechanics.

- I-frames are immediatly after button press
- Adp stat
- Roll distance influenced by eqip weight.
- Enemy attack animations with slow windup and fast execution
- Enemy tracking
- No DS1 poise system
- Lots of enemies with grapples (Oh mr. ogre, how i loathed you in things betwixt.)

The amount of stuff, that would catch you at the beginning. DS1 medium roll i-frames felt extremly generous after a DS2 playthrough.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

dark souls may be over but this debate will rage eternally, endlessly repeating in cycles, each age ignorantly retreading steps over and over, until it all collapses unto itself

Keh heh heh heh

That, too.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 8, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

IronicDongz posted:

The hit box is massive. I've been hit as it passes by me in the animation

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would love to see footage/gifs of hitboxes as bad as the ones I have posted and be proven wrong.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

quote:

hitboxes

I just pictured what Dark Souls could have been like if Plesioth had been in it. It's nightmare fuel.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

I would love to see footage/gifs of hitboxes as bad as the ones I have posted and be proven wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_XFBm4r0gM

Favorite Dark Souls grab video.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's definitely very strange, but either a latency issue or an issue with not registering just one hit. The grab on the host itself is fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

That is pointless.

Because who cares

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, presumably you if you wanted to prove what you said wrt "all dark souls games have as bad of hitboxes as ds2"

at any rate gently caress adp but fume knight is great

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

That's definitely very strange, but either a latency issue or an issue with not registering just one hit. The grab on the host itself is fine.

She plucks him out of a roll because the actual grab doesn't line up with the animation. Then the game magically warps him in front of her. Not sure how you can think that looks fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I mean, presumably you if you wanted to prove what you said wrt "all dark souls games have as bad of hitboxes as ds2"

at any rate gently caress adp but fume knight is great

I don't want to prove that, as I saw it with my eyes. I have no interest in a pissing contest.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My preference of DS1/DS3 style mimics over most DS2 mimics has less to do with hitbox comparisons, more to do with the fact I like KARATE MIMICS.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, it's a latency issue that arises from how grabs are designed.

Which is "if whichever client controls the attacker says you are grabbed, you are grabbed no matter what your client says".

Bosses are controlled by the host.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

She plucks him out of a roll because the actual grab doesn't line up with the animation. Then the game magically warps him in front of her. Not sure how you can think that looks fine.
I don't really know what you mean, he gets caught during his vulnerable frames because he rolled too early. Switching positions at the end doesn't really matter when he still got hit by the visual part of the attack(her arm), unlike the stuff posted earlier where ex: pursuer's sword isn't touching him. He rolled in the direction the arm was moving, even.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

I don't really know what you mean, he gets caught during his vulnerable frames because he rolled too early. Switching positions at the end doesn't really matter when he still got hit by the visual part of the attack(her arm), unlike the stuff posted earlier where ex: pursuer's sword isn't touching him. He rolled in the direction the arm was moving, even.

The person was hit during their roll, probably due to lack of iframes caused by a lack of ADP. The reason it looks ridiculous is that it lets the roll animation finish before initiating the grab animation (and also because it teleports the player to the grab location, which every grab does)

Pictured: inside the grab hitbox with no iframes, probably

but also yeah, what's with the pissing contest

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

To me it doesn't look like the end of his roll is getting caught. It looks like he rolled too late, with the frames on the grab starting before the animation actually suggests. When his roll gets canceled he is still in the middle of it and I'm pretty sure you still have i-frames at that point.

The Dancer's grab is something I've seen a lot of people complain about being wonky as hell.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So basically it has more to do with invincibility frames interacted with the grab animation.

It looks sillier in two because it's possible to have less frames but on a pure mechanics level there are no differences between the three games.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The problem is that, visually, it doesn't connect. Even if yes the hitboxes were all in the same places at the same time in a mechanical sense to work, it doesn't look good, and therefore doesn't look fair. This never seems to get better from one game to the next, either, which the is the bigger issue imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
My DS1 run has progressed to NG+2. Great Club still destroys all. Made a Lightning version on NG+, going for Fire this time to have all my bases covered.

Did all the bosses in NG, only the main game bosses in NG+. Not sure what I will do in NG++ yet. I ended my session last night with spawning in the Asylum at the start of NG++. It's nice how there is very little errand running you have to do on subsequent playthroughs. No need to go get the Rusted Iron Ring, or the Crest Shield, for example. You can just bump down to Blighttown right at the start, stomp Quelaag, and stomp Ceaseless while you're down there. Makes it go by really fast, since you can basically sprint from boss fight to boss fight.

I started NG+ by immediately doing Pinwheel, since I had forgotten to kindle a couple of bonfires at the end of NG.

Since I am dead set on Great Club, I have been spending the rest of my upgrade materials on armor. It's surprising how little damage a lot of things do in DS1.

I am semi-curious to try the same run in DS3 to see how different it feels. Basically just: max out Great Club two hand it, with the Grass Crest Shield on your back. Flatten things. I named my dude Thag because I imagine his 8 Int inner dialog goes: "Thag smash...? Thag SMASH!!!" :v: