Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

disjoe posted:

Trump needs to just not create joinder with the courts, they're all admiralty anyway

The piss tapes have gold fringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Rigel posted:

A few of us roughly know how it works, but for the most part on a question like this without an obvious answer, we shrug and wait for the senate parliamentarian to rule.

Yeah, I was just hoping for something more in depth regarding the "and in the past some abortion stuff didn't fly" part of the article. As best I can tell, that was referring to a budgetary effort to bar any federal funding of any abortion, during the 90s.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I was a pretty big nothing matterer, but Trump sitting furious in a room alone not knowing who he can trust is pretty much the most I could have hoped for since he got elected. Crossing my fingers that someday I'll get to see Ivanka publicly renounce him to try and save her image (and fail) for the most satisfying Et tu, Brute? moment possible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

God drat you Lin Manuel Miranda

Cold, dude

At least call me chernow

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Dodd-Frank killed in the house just now

Start hiding gold bars in your mattress again.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jaxyon posted:

I'm guessing you're a dude because I shared that article on my FB and it's already been reshared several times by women who are like "this is spot on"

that's not proof of anything but i guess I'm saying maybe examine your biases

wait, what? Your select group of facebook friends shared something you like and your accusing him of not examining bias?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

A new tax that all Republicans can agree with!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

La Brea Carpet posted:

What are the odds it passes Senate?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

La Brea Carpet posted:

Dear Democrats: please, please, please jump on this. It's so important that you take them to task for this. Major props to Kamala Harris for already doing so btw.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Burning_Monk posted:

wait, what? Your select group of facebook friends shared something you like and your accusing him of not examining bias?

I literally said that's not proof of anything but given the subject and the response maybe he should. I wasn't the only one even in this thread who said something like this.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

eviltastic posted:

Yeah, I was just hoping for something more in depth regarding the "and in the past some abortion stuff didn't fly" part of the article. As best I can tell, that was referring to a budgetary effort to bar any federal funding of any abortion, during the 90s.

Some things are clear, like you can't pass a new criminal law or name a national monument in a reconciliation bill, because it has nothing to do with the budget. The theory further goes that items that masquerade as a budget item but are really a political issue that has nothing to do with the budget shouldn't be allowed, but where do you draw the line? At some level, every budget decision is political, when can you say "oh COME ON, thats not really budget, thats too far!"

I don't really know, its really just the parliamentarian's call. (at any time a majority of the Senate can overrule the parliamentarian to create or modify precedent, but thats extreme and rare)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Ballz posted:

0.1%

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Already drastically reduced spending and saved as much money as reasonably possible since Trump was elected.

loving hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

La Brea Carpet posted:

The bill, known as the Financial Choice Act, has little chance of passing in its current form through the Senate, where Republican leadership would need to attract Democratic support.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ballz posted:

They would have to completely destroy the filibuster.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

haveblue posted:

The bill, known as the Financial Choice Act, has little chance of passing in its current form through the Senate, where Republican leadership would need to attract Democratic support.

New Jerseyites, get on the phone and start bombarding Cory Booker's office with calls. The Dems can't allow a single defection on any version of this bill, even if it's significantly reworked. (which it, of course, will be)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

When's Trumpy speaking this afternoon? I eagerly await him going completely off topic and incriminating himself.

EDIT: NM, I missed it and it was short and unremarkable.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 8, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

haveblue posted:

Normally, I'd probably sound like I'm saying 'nothing matters' at this point, but I do agree with this. This isn't what they're pushing through reconciliation so they need some democrats on this. More than the amount of DINOs that are in congress so they can't even sway enough people, hopefully. Just need to call your D senator and make sure he's ready to filibuster.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rigel posted:

They would have to completely destroy the filibuster.

And if McConnell does that, then the second Dems take the Senate again we enter 10000 years of unimpeded liberal darkness, right?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TARDISman posted:

And if McConnell does that, then the second Dems take the Senate again we enter 10000 years of unimpeded liberal darkness, right?

At this point, I'll accept 100 years of liberal darkness

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Covok posted:

Normally, I'd probably sound like I'm saying 'nothing matters' at this point, but I do agree with this. This isn't what they're pushing through reconciliation so they need some democrats on this. More than the amount of DINOs that are in congress so they can't even sway enough people, hopefully. Just need to call your D senator and make sure he's ready to filibuster.

Not just fillibuster, but point out 'Hey these fuckers are literally trying to cause the Great Depression again.'

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TARDISman posted:

Yes. It's much harder to take benefits away than to get them on the board, so making things slow is the GOPs best hope of preventing libertopia. McConnell is smart enough to know this. I hope Schumer is too, and gets rid of the filibuster anyways.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

TARDISman posted:

it would take a trump piss tape that included pence and half of congress to make the senate blue

in 2018 the hope is that the house goes blue and dems can pass fun 1000-years-of-liberal-enlightenment bills like what the republican house did under obama (remember how they repealed obamacare roughly one billion times?)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

"well yeah, but that guy was smart and should have known better, Trump is clearly an imbecile, huge difference"

https://twitter.com/adamliptak/status/872835418194157568

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

New Jerseyites, get on the phone and start bombarding Cory Booker's office with calls. The Dems can't allow a single defection on any version of this bill, even if it's significantly reworked. (which it, of course, will be)

republicans didn't even pretend to pass something that might be able to get a vote from Democrats, they just went full on dodd-frank repeal rather than just a convenient package of bank regulation modifications that's almost as good but doesn't formally destroy dodd-frank

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Since this thread is still not called USPOL, I'll go ahead and put this here. The exit polls are horrible for the conservatives in the UK. If this holds they will either have a tiny majority or a hung parliament. They called for early elections because they thought they could expand on their majority.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/872921807384440834

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Since this thread is still not called USPOL, I'll go ahead and put this here. The exit polls are horrible for the conservatives in the UK. If this holds they will either have a tiny majority or a hung parliament. They called for early elections because they thought they could expand on their majority.

Plus in a hung parliament (meaning, no party has a majority on its own) its probably easier for labor to assemble a majority considering the Liberal Democrats got butchered like hogs for joining the Tories.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rigel posted:

I know nothing of the UK other than the Republicans are left-leaning there and the Tories want to kill babies. What I do know is that the "0" for UKIP is good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/872922228500901888

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rigel posted:

I'm a filthy American and not all that up to date on UK politics, but I am tickled that UKIP has 0 seats.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rigel posted:

WTF happened? Last I heard they were still expecting a landslide, if smaller than what they had been.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

WTF happened? Last I heard they were still expecting a landslide, if smaller than what they had been.

Theresa May hosed up literally everything she touched for a couple of months and turned out to be a lovely campaigner.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

It turns out Theresa May, a dead-ringer for the Penguin's sister in Batman Returns, is a really bad campaigner.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Well that's pretty LOL because she called this election.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rigel posted:

Just earlier today I was seeing stories that the May and the Tories would have the largest margin since Thatcher or something. Wonder where all that went. Polling must really be poo poo over there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rigel posted:

I don't understand this. That's May in the middle, right? With the biggest numbers? And the poll says they have the largest party? Someone explain.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Polls in the UK have historically been loving terrible, but the exit polls seemed to have always been close.

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/872922805477801984

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Jaxyon posted:

Theresa May said they should suspend human rights laws in order to combat terrorism, among other idiotic things such as banning secure software from use in the UK.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Just earlier today I was seeing stories that the May and the Tories would have the largest margin since Thatcher or something. Wonder where all that went. Polling must really be poo poo over there.

Its all exit polls right now, nothing final.

But if the numbers hold May is turbo hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

If that holds then that would be another European country (in addition to France) that has held an election since Trump and said, "hm nope gently caress all of that, actually"

To the degree that I can't help but wonder whether Trump's election here has passively influenced a leftward swing everywhere else

• Locked thread