Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

germskr posted:

Anybody know anyone who has actually gone to DOD Skillbridge? Trying to get more information, but the website is a JOKE.

What are you trying to find out? There's not much in the way of Navy participation, but Marines and Army have quite a few programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Anita Dickinme posted:

I like being water soldiers. :( I honestly don't see why we have to be like every other branch except worse with the type III's vomit green. Wish we had either taken the marine's camies or just kept the blue with the Type III material.

I know I'm still new, but the Coast Guard ODU seem pretty useful for being practical and looking okay. Could the Navy have just added a cuff or a crease or something to make it "navy unique" and have just used that rather than going to type 3's? Since the Coast Guard already uses them wouldn't the logistics have been simpler and streamlined?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I know I'm still new, but the Coast Guard ODU seem pretty useful for being practical and looking okay. Could the Navy have just added a cuff or a crease or something to make it "navy unique" and have just used that rather than going to type 3's? Since the Coast Guard already uses them wouldn't the logistics have been simpler and streamlined?

I've never worn them but I've always thought thought CG ODU looked like a perfectly good working uniform.

Blue camouflage is still peak BIG NAVY in my mind. Why on earth would a sailor need blue camo? If we don't need it, why the gently caress are we wearing it!?!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lou Takki posted:

I've never worn them but I've always thought thought CG ODU looked like a perfectly good working uniform.

Blue camouflage is still peak BIG NAVY in my mind. Why on earth would a sailor need blue camo? If we don't need it, why the gently caress are we wearing it!?!

SEA WARRIORS

Basically at the tail end of Iraq all the other branches had "modernized" their uniforms in some way. I'll admit the song and dance of changing uniforms multiple times a day because you couldn't eat in coveralls or dirty utilities was a pain in the rear end for a deck sailor. For most others it was nbd because they were just in their spaces doing their thing. What would have made the most sense was just switch everyone to coveralls 24/7 and minor consolidation to service uniforms. However, this wasn't 21st century enough with all the other branches with hot new digi-camo. The navy blue camo was a straight up palette swap of marine camo with the EGA swapped with the Anchor-Eagle-Constitution or whatever it was called. This was done entirely because some master chiefs were so emasculated by their badass marine counterparts in the pentagon that they demanded a navy version of their uniform. Ever have a masterchief go around that insists that everyone be called "WARRIORS" instead of sailors? Those guys are why.

I'm still of the opinion - flame retardant coveralls 24/7 at sea and as a working uniform ashore.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

piL posted:

What should I do in Pattaya for the full Navy experience?

If you get overnight don't bring poo poo with you. Just buy everything ashore as your goal should be to look like a German tourist. If its your first time go experience the chaos and majesty that is Walking Street. Buy a couple of bottles of Mekong Whisky, a bottle of 7up/Sprite, and a backback (if you don't buy the backpack and just walk around with a bottle of Mekong the Thai people will loose their goddamn minds and your walk will turn into a parade). Unless you really need a shittily made redbull shirt, just leave everything behind when you depart.

Before we pulled in there for the first time I had heard so much about Pattaya and of course I thought it was mostly bullshit. Our LPO had been talking the most poo poo and had the craziest stories so we decided to hang with him for the day (mistake). We also booked the same hotel as him (mistake). We get off the bus and start walking towards the Walking street area and my first impressions were that it was hot, the beach looked sketchy, the utility poles were a goddamn explosion waiting to happen, and that it wasn't as crazy as it was made out to be.

I should also point out that since I was on the Blue Ridge, we weren't a huge crew, and of course we pulled in by ourselves so we were the only sailors in town.

In Thailand, at least Pattaya, they have this bar set up where you will have one large roofed area with open sides that has tons of small bars dispersed through it (sometimes with a boxing ring). So as we get to the first one, and the first sailors foot crosses the threshold on the sidewalk that allowed them to spot us, all loving hell broke loose. These bar girls started banging bells, yelling, and just losing their goddamn minds. Chicks were up on bars flashing us and screaming out in detail what they would do it us. It was loving bonkers, and this was at like 2 in the afternoon on a weekday.

Everything my LPO said was true. Every story, in all of its disgusting detail, was accurate and ultimately verified by the locals (who all knew him, like seriously everyone shady in Pattaya knew him). All of it. The hotel he booked us at did away with the sprites in the fridge and throw pillows and instead had dildos on the dresser and a sex swing above the bed. Site TV was the bar downstairs and you could order drinks and ladies to your room.

But ultimately my favorite memories of Pattaya were finding a mamasan and letting her know that me and my buddies just wanted to drink and eat some good food and not be bothered by barfines. We would sit at the bar and make it look busy while we drank, smoked cigars, and ordered out for good food. We would try to pick one on the corner so we could people watch and enjoy the fresh air.

Our other favorite thing to do was to book a drive/scuba trip with Mermaids (http://www.mermaidsdivecenter.com) and spend the day out on the water. They always took great care of us and would let everyone have a good safe time. The lunch they cooked for us was on point too.

Seriously, just get the gently caress out of Pattaya and enjoy the country especially the food.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

SEA WARRIORS

I'm still of the opinion - flame retardant coveralls 24/7 at sea and as a working uniform ashore.

I was wondering that too, we have flame resistant coveralls and it seems like people on ship wear them a lot or all the time, why not have them do it on land too, especially if they'll be working in that uniform as well. It'd be one less thing for the seabag. I understand they'd be uncomfortable in warm weather, but that seems kind of minor.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

This.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Those would be org wear for the flight deck crews only. You don't really need high-vis orange/yellow unless you're working in an environment where you need everyone to see you. Plain fire retardant coveralls would do the job admirably for everyone else.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I support it as long as it's more breathable than the foot long turtle neck jerseys they tried to give us last year which aren't even flame resistant. :suicide:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I support it as long as it's more breathable than the foot long turtle neck jerseys they tried to give us last year which aren't even flame resistant. :suicide:

Not many things are flame resistant when they're soaked in jet fuel.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

orange juche posted:

Not many things are flame resistant when they're soaked in jet fuel.

Jet fuel has relatively high flash point so flame resistance still matters. :science:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Jet fuel has relatively high flash point so flame resistance still matters. :science:

A bucket of jet fuel won't light if you drop a lit match in it, but if you drop a lit match on soaked coveralls it's BBQ city because it will have more surface area from soaking through the coverall.

poo poo you could probably drop a book of lit matches in a bucket and be alright tbh. I'll stand 100 yds away while you do that though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

A bucket of jet fuel won't light if you drop a lit match in it, but if you drop a lit match on soaked coveralls it's BBQ city because it will have more surface area from soaking through the coverall.

poo poo you could probably drop a book of lit matches in a bucket and be alright tbh. I'll stand 100 yds away while you do that though.

Surface area is not the issue, flash point is. The liquid doesn't burn, the vapor does and JP5 doesn't have combustible vapor until 140°F.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So I woke up this morning to find out that my last ship lost someone over the side.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/cruiser-normandy-sailor-reported-overboard-near-north-carolina-massive-search-underway

They're still at River City. I've been on shore duty less than a year, so it's almost certainly someone I know.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My buddy on there got to skip out on this underway. I'll PM you who it was when he finds out. :(

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20170608/coast-guard-navy-searching-for-sailor-from-ri-who-went-overboard

It's one of my guys.

:smith:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

That really blows. My condolences.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just visited the Navy Memorial here in DC. Everyone needs to come visit DC and see the sights.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Just visited the Navy Memorial here in DC. Everyone needs to come visit DC and see the sights.

Coming up for two weeks starting Sunday. because gently caress me I'm still in (part time).

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Coming up for two weeks starting Sunday. because gently caress me I'm still in (part time).

Same here. We're all dumb!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Although the weekend in the middle, my wife is flying out to visit. Hotel paid for by the Dod!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm so dumb I went back active (but FTS) so I'm extra dumb!

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I was in DC for a long weekend in April. The Newseum is really great, definitely a must visit.

You can even touch the Unabomber's cabin!!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Thronde posted:

I'm so dumb I went back active (but FTS) so I'm extra dumb!

So that means you're like an EN2 or something doing YN work?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hey guys I'm loving retarded and bad at Navy.

How do I dig up when my E4 pay started up? I found my frocking date NSIPS but apparently I got to know when I started getting payed the big PO bucks too. Apparently MyPay only keeps the last year of stubs but I hit E4 in March so ....

Help.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey guys I'm loving retarded and bad at Navy.

How do I dig up when my E4 pay started up? I found my frocking date NSIPS but apparently I got to know when I started getting payed the big PO bucks too. Apparently MyPay only keeps the last year of stubs but I hit E4 in March so ....

Help.

If you made it off the test you should be able to look up your profile sheets and that will give you your actual advancement date.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/navy-chiefs-cpo-365-phase-i-optional

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

So that means you're like an EN2 or something doing YN work?

Actually got lucky. ET2 doing MA, BM, EN, GM, and ET work. And I'm my own LS, YN, and PS. Riverines are great!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Cool. I still get my dd-214 monday tho, so oh well.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

That to me reads as a way to gently caress over people on the eval side who 'choose' not to go.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

That to me reads as a way to gently caress over people on the eval side who 'choose' not to go.

Now make warfare pins voluntary, too, and we get to actually select people who genuinely give a care.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Now make warfare pins voluntary, too, and we get to actually select people who genuinely give a care.

So within a month of me getting back to Great Lakes to instruct, a bunch of senior E-6s left the command, so the percentage of MTS qualified instructors dropped like a stone. The Chiefs knee-jerked into mandatory after work MTS training Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The best part is that they have a policy that you aren't even eligible to board for MTS until you've been at the command for 6 months. Because of course.

Edit:

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=100975

They called it.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 10, 2017

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In the last few weeks (we were in the field for three of them, also) my unit has had four DUIs, one of them being an underage DUI from a party who named everyone at the party so they too can go up, and a sexual assault. Some Chiefs did some things that are not so great too, but we have to think about their careers :)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Khakis can do no wrong.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Khakis can do no wrong.

Why would you have to repeat something that is know?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So within a month of me getting back to Great Lakes to instruct, a bunch of senior E-6s left the command, so the percentage of MTS qualified instructors dropped like a stone. The Chiefs knee-jerked into mandatory after work MTS training Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The best part is that they have a policy that you aren't even eligible to board for MTS until you've been at the command for 6 months. Because of course.

Edit:

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=100975

They called it.

Thats exactly what happened to me. Then all of us that got there at the same time qualified. Then we all left and...the future refused to change.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

loving lmao.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Hello. Now I have a DD-214. I don't think I will be shaving tomorrow.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Lucius posted:

Hello. Now I have a DD-214. I don't think I will be shaving tomorrow.

Hey shipmate, the reserves is looking for a few good men.

lol enjoy your new life man

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey shipmate, the reserves is looking for a few good men.

lol enjoy your new life man

No joke had a reserve recruiter call me out of the blue last week, it was all I could do not to laugh on the phone at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Anyone claim disability when they got out? PM me if yes.