Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't understand this. That's May in the middle, right? With the biggest numbers? And the poll says they have the largest party? Someone explain.

Parliamentary system. All the other numbers vote as a coalition that equals her number, and hate her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rigel posted:

Since this thread is still not called USPOL, I'll go ahead and put this here. The exit polls are horrible for the conservatives in the UK. If this holds they will either have a tiny majority or a hung parliament. They called for early elections because they thought they could expand on their majority.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/872921807384440834

Ha ha, gently caress you Ukip. Enjoy that purple shower like all fascists do.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If that's the actual result, would they need a new election? I know they can do coalitions, but I assume SNP and Lib Dem are more closely allied with Labour, which gets them to... 314.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't understand this. That's May in the middle, right? With the biggest numbers? And the poll says they have the largest party? Someone explain.

It's a majority over all other parties combined, not just over each party individually.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's not winner take all, you vote for your rep for your area, then all your reps decide who they want to be the new king. If your party doesn't have a flat out majority, they have to barter with the other reps to decide who gets to be king. If you don't get a majority yourself, everyone that hates you can join together and decide to have a different king.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love UK Prime Minister self owns.

Assuming the other two parties allied with Labour, what happens with a tied parliament?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Just because you have the largest party doesn't mean you govern. The other three parties could get together and have more seats combined if the results are at all worse for the conservatives than this exit.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In the UK you have to assemble a government. See how 266+34+14 add up to overcome the 314?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Assuming the other two parties allied with Labour, what happens with a tied parliament?

I think murder becomes legal until one of the groups gets a majority

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

republicans didn't even pretend to pass something that might be able to get a vote from Democrats, they just went full on dodd-frank repeal rather than just a convenient package of bank regulation modifications that's almost as good but doesn't formally destroy dodd-frank

True, but I'm guessing the Senate version will be pretty different - probably something closer to the second scenario that you describe. Plus the Dems really do need to show themselves unified in lockstep on this. They can't allow themselves to look like they're okay with financial deregulation anymore. That needs to be the Republicans' thing.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Because I love being disappointed I'm hoping the exit poll missed high on the number of Tory seats and they barely crack 300.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

May commits political seppuku for her failure and a lot of poo poo goes up in the air, whereas before we were on the march toward Brexit.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Torries get the PM, but have a minority in Parliament. Which means they get to "be in power" while everyone else cock blocks them until they call another election.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

dont even fink about it posted:

It turns out Theresa May, a dead-ringer for the Penguin's sister in Batman Returns, is a really bad campaigner.

It also doesn't help that she was integral in sacking policemen before terror attacks, yet basically ran on "STABILITY!"

VICE News had a brief segment last night where they showcased Theresa May "trying to act human."

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Rigel posted:

Since this thread is still not called USPOL, I'll go ahead and put this here. The exit polls are horrible for the conservatives in the UK. If this holds they will either have a tiny majority or a hung parliament. They called for early elections because they thought they could expand on their majority.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/872921807384440834

Even though UKIP got 0 votes and this is the first time I've seen a picture of whoever that man is, I already hate his smug loving face.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/872921611741036545

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool, thanks goons.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Rigel posted:

At this point, I'll accept 100 years of liberal darkness
I'd take 100 days. Or hours.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/872924082957725696

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

At this point I'm just going to expect that every future Tory PM is going to self own in some glorious way and resign

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Lemming posted:

It's not winner take all, you vote for your rep for your area, then all your reps decide who they want to be the new king. If your party doesn't have a flat out majority, they have to barter with the other reps to decide who gets to be king. If you don't get a majority yourself, everyone that hates you can join together and decide to have a different king.

Okay but what if she wins the Electoral College I hear that makes her win everything forever and nothing else matters.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Throwing Turtles posted:

I just called, apparently the people in the office has no clue he said that.

They are aware now and are just politely taking a poll, "So you want a 'No' on Trumpcare?"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So if the graphic is off by 1, then it could be Corbin PM? Am I getting this right?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jaxyon posted:

WTF happened? Last I heard they were still expecting a landslide, if smaller than what they had been.

Nate silver had an article - basically, you can't trust UK polling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

So if the graphic is off by 1, then it could be Corbin PM? Am I getting this right?

Corbin is only PM if he has the most seats, I believe.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I mean no way she keeps her job after a result like that even if they slightly outperform the exit poll and don't end up completely hosed. When they called this snap election they were seemingly in a position to really properly nail down a convincing mandate for their policies and instead the elderly marxist jam man and his goofy friends managed to stem the tide of evil just enough as to ruin it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If this holds, then Nate Silver wins again. He basically said "you know what, the polls in the UK are loving terrible and I think the media is too confident, I'll say these 3 scenarios are equally 1/3 likely: Tory Landslide, decent conservative win, or hung parliament".

Almost everyone else were like "whatever, the conservatives will win, only question is by how much"

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hellblazer187 posted:

It is possible if he can get other parties to support him. LibDems did a deal with the Tories in 2010 and got horribly burned by them, so they might be more inclined to join with Labour than the Tories.

The final seat count will be vital. If the Tories get an absolute majority, either on their own or with a coalition, then they've got it, but they might not have enough willing parties to join in. The problem is that the Tories are already the only right-wing party, while there are plenty of left-wing parties-- they just happen to have done better this time in not splitting their votes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We didn't learn from Britain's mistake, but they sure learned from ours.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Feinne posted:

When they called this snap election they were seemingly in a position to really properly nail down a convincing mandate for their policies and instead the elderly marxist jam man and his goofy friends managed to stem the tide of evil just enough as to ruin it.

For a while, the polls showed such a conservative lead that there was op-ed talk of Labor permanently disintegrating into multiple parties due to the sheer power of the ownage that would be rained down on them.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffles Inc. posted:

If that holds then that would be another European country (in addition to France) that has held an election since Trump and said, "hm nope gently caress all of that, actually"

To the degree that I can't help but wonder whether Trump's election here has passively influenced a leftward swing everywhere else

you mean since brexit. why do americans always assume everything is about them.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Corbin is only PM if he has the most seats, I believe.

Thats not true. If the conservatives have less than 50% of the seats, then the other 3 parties will most likely figure out some kind of agreement to get together and in that situation he can be PM.

When one party has the majority, they can tell the other parties "gently caress off, we got this", but when no one has a majority the largest parties try to bargain with the smaller parties. In this case, everyone thinks the smaller parties will go with labor.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

There's some seats missing from the graphic. I don't know if they go to small Northern Ireland parties or are too close to call or what.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

May commits political seppuku for her failure and a lot of poo poo goes up in the air, whereas before we were on the march toward Brexit.
Not to wish our level of hosed-upedness on any other country, but if they could neglect to get their poo poo together for another couple of months so the pound stays weak and my vacation is cheaper, that would be groovy.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

botany posted:

you mean since brexit. why do americans always assume everything is about them.

Cultural hegemony.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Why the gently caress would an average UK person vote conservative? All they get is austerity, terrorism, and a dismantled internet. Corbyn wasn't exactly the most pro-EU guy either. What is the upside?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

evilweasel posted:

There's some seats missing from the graphic. I don't know if they go to small Northern Ireland parties or are too close to call or what.

326 gives an absolute majority. Northern Ireland parties are weird.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

botany posted:

why do americans always assume everything is about them.

Expect it to get noisier and worse as we start to fall down the spiral staircase of the ivory tower we've comfortably lived in for 70 years.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Oh, got it.

I actually didn't realize the UK had congressional districts (or whatever they're called there). I thought it was strictly proportional. I suppose they don't have a gerrymandering problem because there are just so many damned districts for a relatively small country physically that it approaches proportional representation? Or do they have a gerrymandering problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teddybear posted:

326 gives an absolute majority. Northern Ireland parties are weird.

I believe since Sinn Fein usually gets 4 seats but refuses to take them, 324 is in practice an absolute majority.

• Locked thread