Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't remember where I read it, but I recall learning that 90% of the thing in that picture wasn't habitable and/or even connected to the Crew Stuff anyway. It's an automated refinery they tow from place with ore to base and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Baronjutter posted:

Other than actually following safety procedures in the first place and not letting kane back on the ship, probably not a lot. The huge refinery complex they were pulling probably had supplies and things as well, could have potentially ditched the nostromo and hid out on the refinery until help arrived? I mean I assume a complex as huge as that had some general living space and emergency supplies and such? It was practically a whole city.

Like, look at the size of this thing. It looks like it's got windows and poo poo, so I assume it's crewed when operational.

I've always loved this thing, here's a cool article on the Refinery
http://alienexplorations.blogspot.ca/1979/08/bismarck.html

What if there was a crew living there, refining oil during the entire events of Alien, and Ripley just blows them the gently caress up?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Finally saw Alien: Covenant :siren: it ruled :siren:

Probably not as great as Prometheus, but really really good. Still sorting through my thoughts on it.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Black Bones posted:

Probably not as great as Prometheus, but really really good. Still sorting through my thoughts on it.

Alien: Covenant was tits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw it again today and I loved it even more than before. The only issue remains the Xeno stuff. I hate that it's CGI, and that whole scene lacks tension.

But I do love David's face when they go after it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
new alien movie fuckin sucked, 2 thumbs down

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Post/username combo.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Black Bones posted:

I absolutely hated Prometheus and liked Covenant much better. The crew wasn't 24/7 retarded like the prometheus crew was and was more believable. I think the weakest thing in the movie was the aliens. They looked comical and not at all scary.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
https://www.someecards.com/entertainment/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-alien-sister-text/ :haw:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Alien Omnibus 3 seems like the best collection of Alien comics, mostly because it includes Labyrinth. Is that right, and should I order it?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

So basically, both parties in this conversation are full retarded/it's fake.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

99% of my brain was sure it was fake but 1% of my brain remembered my parents earnestly mixing up Legends of the Fall with Hong Kong '97. Either way it made me chuckle.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

keyframe posted:

I absolutely hated Prometheus and liked Covenant much better. The crew wasn't 24/7 retarded like the prometheus crew was and was more believable. I think the weakest thing in the movie was the aliens. They looked comical and not at all scary.

That's different, I would have thought anyone who thought Prometheus' crew was unbelievable would have had a hard time with Covenant's. These aren't "realistic" stories to begin with, but I never found any characters behaviour to be all that strange, even the guys who eat the egg or grab the snake.

Oram has faith that David will tell him "what's going on", in much the same way that nerds have faith that Ridley Scott will answer their inane questions about canon!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Leavemywife posted:

Alien Omnibus 3 seems like the best collection of Alien comics, mostly because it includes Labyrinth. Is that right, and should I order it?

I'd say get that and also the first one.

The first omnibus collects the original Aliens comic run, which is pretty fun.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Black Bones posted:

I never found any characters behaviour to be all that strange, even the guys who eat the egg

Well they ain't the sharpest tools in the shed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'd say get that and also the first one.

The first omnibus collects the original Aliens comic run, which is pretty fun.

I just finished the novelization for that first omnibus. Earthhive, etc. Perry isn't as good a writer as the folks doing the 2014-now books, but they're perfectly readable. I've got Earthhive and I didn't see anything in the text you wouldn't have gotten from the comics.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Breetai posted:

Perhaps not, but there's no way for them to know that they are characters in a horror movie. You can shout at the screen, but they will never hear you :(

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Poor Dr. Shaw. :smith:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Alien Covenant was cool and David is still awesome. Michael Fassbender is a great loving actor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She helped make the Xeno so it's okay.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Rewatched Prometheus recently. I didn't realize it at the time, but the last conversation presages Alien: Covenant quite nicely.

Shaw: I want to find out more about the Engineers. Who are they? Why do they hate us?

David: Haha who cares

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Haledjian posted:

Rewatched Prometheus recently. I didn't realize it at the time, but the last conversation presages Alien: Covenant quite nicely.

Shaw: I want to find out more about the Engineers. Who are they? Why do they hate us?

David: Haha who cares

I used to think that the Deacon at the end of Prometheus was supposed to symbolize that the Alien was a small and ultimately insignificant part of this universe, one that the characters were ultimately leaving behind on a little moon.

Now I know the truth, that the real point of the Deacon is as a grim punchline, that not only is Shaw heading straight into an Alien movie, but that her questions have and will again birth the Alien.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Breetai posted:

Oram eat teh eggs

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

LadyPictureShow posted:

My friend watched at least half of Max waiting for the apocalypse to happen and Mad Max to show up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus I mean this is Alien of all franchises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzSnh9nqVFs

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Strontosaurus posted:

My friend watched at least half of Max waiting for the apocalypse to happen and Mad Max to show up.

I walked into the theatre that I thought was showing Mad Max and was wondering why a Snoopy trailer was playing. :shepface:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I finally got the Alien book that I asked about before, and it's dope. It's literally photographs of the two journals Giger kept while making Alien and it has translations for all of the pages. It's a really cool piece:

Outside:

Funny Alien testing:

Polaroids in the journal

Behind the scenes stuff:

This part I found really interesting, seems like the Space Jockey and the Aliens had nothing to do with each other and that the derelict just landed on an ant-hill basically. "They aren't ants, man."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would poo poo myself If I saw that 'funny alien testing'

Good lord.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Good lord.

same; i really think alien owes so much to the actor in the mask, his body and grace really define it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

alf_pogs posted:

same; i really think alien owes so much to the actor in the mask, his body and grace really define it

Shame he died so young.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kevin Peter Hall too. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

alf_pogs posted:

He's only the Alien in 2 of the scenes though the ones were the Alien is most prominent; the scenes were Brett and Dallas die are of Eddie Powell and the one were the Alien gets blasted by the jets at the end is Roy Scammell.

Reading Giger's dairies is awesome, the production was troubled as all hell and the people that worked with/for him weren't up to snuff and slow as poo poo. He berates one guy a lot. Giger even states that he wanted to walk away from the whole project. This sketches are cool as gently caress too. Most of the book is his handwriting in Swiss so there's not much to take in save for the translations and few polaroids, professional photos and sketches. Still a great book.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Good lord.

C'mon it's pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpgu1L1YIc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's spooky

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, I don't think a naked dude with a large tube on his head is scary at all.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

s.i.r.e. posted:

I finally got the Alien book that I asked about before, and it's dope. It's literally photographs of the two journals Giger kept while making Alien and it has translations for all of the pages. It's a really cool piece:

Outside:

Funny Alien testing:

Polaroids in the journal

Behind the scenes stuff:

This part I found really interesting, seems like the Space Jockey and the Aliens had nothing to do with each other and that the derelict just landed on an ant-hill basically. "They aren't ants, man."

I have this book on order as my partner works for a book store. It looks awesome, I can't wait to get it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Black Bones posted:

That's different, I would have thought anyone who thought Prometheus' crew was unbelievable would have had a hard time with Covenant's. These aren't "realistic" stories to begin with, but I never found any characters behaviour to be all that strange, even the guys who eat the egg or grab the snake.

Oram has faith that David will tell him "what's going on", in much the same way that nerds have faith that Ridley Scott will answer their inane questions about canon!

I disagree completely. How is their behavior not strange and unrealistic? Just go watch Alien and then Prometheus right after that. The contrast is more evident there where one is "these are real space truckers and the way they act is completely believable and in character" vs in prometheus "hey here are a bunch of assholes who hate each other that somehow got hired for the most important mission in human history and they act completely unrealistic"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It was an old man's quest for the fountain of youth.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Most of the book is his handwriting in Swiss so there's not much to take in save for the translations and few polaroids, professional photos and sketches. Still a great book.

German; Swiss isn't a language. Book looks really neat and indepth though, I'm super jealous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The actual crew of the Prometheus, Captain Janeck and his men, are all extremely competent. Ms. Vickers and David know what they're doing, as does the medical staff on the ship. It's only Mr. Weyland, Shaw, and those who are convinced they are there because they believe in all the Chariots of the Gods BS that are incompetent. And why wouldn't they be? They're not serious scientists, they're either fanatics, an old man desperate not to die, or dregs who will take any job for money.