Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Soggy Cereal posted:

"A baby!"
- My favorite part

I wasn't expecting that and it was :3: Got an honest laugh out of me.

I though the movie, plot, etc. was just okay overall, but it's filled with little touches like that really made me like Gadot as Diana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Her powers have been inconsistent for as long as the character has existed. She's vulnerable to cutting and piercing weapons, yet she jumps through glass windows unscathed. So the movie is consistently inconsistent like the comics. It doesn't matter.

Toady fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 7, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

teagone posted:

It's revealed she is the offspring of Hippolyta (not a god) and Zeus (a god) in the film — it's her New 52 origin, where Hippolyta lied to Diana about her birth, saying she was born from clay, but in truth she is the natural born daughter of Zeus, carried to birth by the Amazon Queen. According to Greek myth, that makes her a half-god. A demigod. Part Amazon from her mother's side, part god from her father's side.

Then they got several lines in the movie wrong.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bruteman posted:

I wasn't expecting that and it was :3: Got an honest laugh out of me.

I though the movie, plot, etc. was just okay overall, but it's filled with little touches like that really made me like Gadot as Diana.

I like the ice cream part too. Which was pulled straight from the comics. "You should be very proud!" Totally made that ice cream vendor's day :3:

Tenzarin posted:

Which ones?

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 7, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

This sounds highly suspect. Which lines? Aside from the ones where her mother has specifically lied to hide her origins from her.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For what it's worth, the RLM guys — who have mostly shat on DCEU films in the past — really liked Wonder Woman. Jay more so than Mike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoUnOxqr40

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Did the movie show the German marines trying to get away/back out to sea? Or is this yet another movie fight where some random unit fights to 99% casualties instead of running away?

The movie actually settles on "A god is corrupting mankind into wild aggression", as a partial explanation for WWI so...

I liked the movie. There were a few awkward scenes, and one hilariously silly cut, but otherwise the movie was tight. Also, genuinely funny.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's kind of interesting. I think this film did a lot of things very well. But I do wonder if it did a lot of novel things.

A lot of interviews and reviews have played up the idea that Wonder Woman didn't need a tragedy to motivate her into heroism, but...all that hero-driving tragedy is still here. First with Aunt Antiope getting shot by a mugger, and then with Steve's extravagant man-fridging.

To be fair, Antiope's death doesn't teach her anything or instill any significant character development in her, and her drive to be Wonder Woman is shown to have come from other sources.

But in that case, why is the scene in here at all? Because we needed to keep the requisite blueprint of an archetypal superhero's journey, even if bits and pieces of that blueprint aren't actually needed? It's not like Diana was any less selfless or adventurous or proactive before Antiope died, unlike a lot of other heroes who require a motivating death of a loved one. Literally no one ever mentions Antiope again after that scene, because all of Diana's motivating forces are coming from elsewhere. So what does this death actually add, in this storyline?

As for the Steve death, I have a strong feeling that if the genders were switched in that scenario -- if a woman blew herself up to save the world and teach the male hero a valuable lesson -- I personally would be calling it the lamest, most generic poo poo ever. Is there something about this context of Diana and Steve, of a male love interest dying to further a female hero's characterization (which doesn't happen in the original source material), that makes it inherently less...naff? Whether because setting the genders up in this way is just more novel in general, or was there something about the way that this sacrifice was written and depicted that makes it less hackneyed and equivocal to every other time this has happened?

I dunno. I don't have clear answers for any of this. I absolutely think WW is a sort of a unique film with a one-of-a-kind storyline, but I do wonder how much of that unique film is still made up of elements we've seen in a whole lot of other places.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

As for the Steve death, I have a strong feeling that if the genders were switched in that scenario -- if a woman blew herself up to save the world and teach the male hero a valuable lesson -- I personally would be calling it the lamest, most generic poo poo ever. Is there something about this context of Diana and Steve, of a male love interest dying to further a female hero's characterization (which doesn't happen in the original source material), that makes it inherently less...naff? Whether because setting the genders up in this way is just more novel in general, or was there something about the way that this sacrifice was written and depicted that makes it less hackneyed and equivocal to every other time this has happened?[/spoiler]

I dunno. I don't have clear answers for any of this. I absolutely think WW is a sort of a unique film with a one-of-a-kind storyline, but I do wonder how much of that unique film is still made up of elements we've seen in a whole lot of other places.
Gender doesn't matter too much here. The scene worked because the characters were well characterized in a likeable fashion and so we indentified with their predicament; and Chris Pine acted the hell out the scene. That's all you need.

Cliches are cliches for a reason, when they're done well they speak to us on a primal level.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

Don't forget that large chunks of the movie are retelling stories that were first published 76 years ago and have been retold and borrowed from and referenced countless times since then. It would be pretty much impossible to do a Wonder Woman origin story without going over a bunch of stuff that you'd seen in a whole lot of other places.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The way I took it is that she was capable of being hurt by bullets and poo poo up until she "awoke" the God half of her after Trevor died. Which is why the immediate combat after that where she basically clowns the German troops in slow-mo in a not-so-bloody-ripoff from Immortals is so different from No Man's Land. She's much much powerful at that point and now (after beating Ares) she's as powerful as she can be (or maybe she gets another boost in the sequel if its set in the past).

God that scene sucked. Pressing the "I Win" button is never satisfying.

Toady posted:

Her powers have been inconsistent for as long as the character has existed. She's vulnerable to cutting and piercing weapons, yet she jumps through glass windows unscathed. So the movie is consistently inconsistent like the comics. It doesn't matter.

John McClane jumped through a window and never got any additional injuries. Plate glass is a joke in fictional universes.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 8, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

BrianWilly posted:

It's kind of interesting. I think this film did a lot of things very well. But I do wonder if it did a lot of novel things.

A lot of interviews and reviews have played up the idea that Wonder Woman didn't need a tragedy to motivate her into heroism, but...all that hero-driving tragedy is still here. First with Aunt Antiope getting shot by a mugger, and then with Steve's extravagant man-fridging.

To be fair, Antiope's death doesn't teach her anything or instill any significant character development in her, and her drive to be Wonder Woman is shown to have come from other sources.

But in that case, why is the scene in here at all? Because we needed to keep the requisite blueprint of an archetypal superhero's journey, even if bits and pieces of that blueprint aren't actually needed? It's not like Diana was any less selfless or adventurous or proactive before Antiope died, unlike a lot of other heroes who require a motivating death of a loved one. Literally no one ever mentions Antiope again after that scene, because all of Diana's motivating forces are coming from elsewhere. So what does this death actually add, in this storyline?

Well, it teaches her how hosed up and alien the outside world is, and that the mechanics and technology of war have progressed to the point that personal prowess and heroism are meaningless on the battlefield. It also shows us that despite their creation myth the amazons are functionally just regular people.

quote:

As for the Steve death, I have a strong feeling that if the genders were switched in that scenario -- if a woman blew herself up to save the world and teach the male hero a valuable lesson -- I personally would be calling it the lamest, most generic poo poo ever. Is there something about this context of Diana and Steve, of a male love interest dying to further a female hero's characterization (which doesn't happen in the original source material), that makes it inherently less...naff? Whether because setting the genders up in this way is just more novel in general, or was there something about the way that this sacrifice was written and depicted that makes it less hackneyed and equivocal to every other time this has happened?

My favorite part about that scene was the way the sound was hosed up and unintelligible, and I was really disappointed that we got a minutes-later flashback with working audio.

parcs
Nov 20, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nah, it loving rocked. I haven't enjoyed a Superhero movie that much since Winter Soldier. Already saw it twice.

but i mean the film does not deserve an imdb score of 8.2. another film with an imdb score of 8.2 is Heat, and this film is nowhere near the quality and caliber of Heat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

John McClane jumped through a window and never got any additional injuries. Plate glass is a joke in fictional universes.

Maybe John McClane is a demigod. You don't know.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

teagone posted:

Maybe John McClane is a demigod. You don't know.

After he survived a bath in radioactive Chernobyl water in Die Hard 5, I cannot argue against this point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

In addition to what Ferinus said, on a surface level, it adds the origin of Wonder Woman's tiara :D It belonged to Antiope, and from what I remember, Hippolyta gave it to Diana as a parting gift, to wear it proudly in the world of man, and to honor the memory of the greatest Amazon warrior among them.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

teagone posted:

In addition to what Ferinus said, on a surface level, it adds the origin of Wonder Woman's tiara :D It belonged to Antiope, and from what I remember, Hippolyta gave it to Diana as a parting gift, to wear it proudly in the world of man, and to honor the memory of the greatest Amazon warrior among them.

But SHE was the greatest warrior among them. Hippolita makes sure that happens when she realized Diana must learn to fight. Maybe she didn't learn some kind of ultimate Amazonian martial arts technique to become the greatest Amazon warrior or some anime bullshit like that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

But SHE was the greatest warrior among them. Hippolita makes sure that happens when she realized Diana must learn to fight. Maybe she didn't learn some kind of ultimate Amazonian martial arts technique to become the greatest Amazon warrior or some anime bullshit like that.

No yeah I know that. Hippolyta told Antiope to "train Diana harder than any Amazon, to become even an greater warrior than you." Something to that effect. What I meant was that Hippolyta essentially said "wear the tiara to honor your Aunt Antiope who taught you how to be a badass."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

parcs posted:

but i mean the film does not deserve an imdb score of 8.2. another film with an imdb score of 8.2 is Heat, and this film is nowhere near the quality and caliber of Heat.

IMDB is a website filled with dumb nerds. Their top 20 features two LotR movies, two Star Wars movies, Fight Club and Forrest Gump along side actual classics like 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, and The Godfather parts 1 and 2.

The Shawshank Redemption is not the greatest movie of all time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey, Forrest Gump is really fun. :mad: Screw those LotR movies, though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Drifter posted:

Hey, Forrest Gump is really fun. :mad: Screw those LotR movies, though.

forrest gump can bite me

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xealot posted:

There's also a belief component, it seems. Diana's way less capable of superhuman poo poo until she convinces herself otherwise. She struggles to climb that tower until realizing she can bash right into the side, and she's injured on the beach but clearly can do godlike combat poo poo towards the end of the movie.

I suspect she *wasn't* bulletproof but is now. If for no other reason, because of Superman power creep so she can fight Doomsday or Darkseid or whoever.

To paraphrase the intro of the cinematic Greek mythology masterpiece Conquest, her becoming bulletproof is Greek mythology shorthand for her truly becoming an adult and is able to lead. Like Conquest it has it both ways where a hero rises up is able to effectively do magical stuff because they realize that they matter and are awesome and we get that in the text of the movie but the characters don't really "notice" it in that way because they the actual legendary stuff is being performed by them in the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHMtTuAd1Vw

Both also draw from Hercules specifically to weave their own tale.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 8, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

forrest gump can bite me

...in the rear end?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

teagone posted:

...in the rear end?

Buh-tocks.

E:
One thing from the comics i hope makes some translation into future dc movies is how in a life or death fight, Wonder Woman would not only wreck Superman but kill him quick fast and in a hurry cause shes a capital W Warrior.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 8, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

One thing from the comics i hope makes some translation into future dc movies is how in a life or death fight, Wonder Woman would not only wreck Superman but kill him quick fast and in a hurry cause shes a capital W Warrior.

I feel like Superman dying once in the current continuity is enough.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like Superman dying once in the current continuity is enough.

"We can go darker." - Zack Snyder

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

IMDB is a website filled with dumb nerds. Their top 20 features two LotR movies, two Star Wars movies, Fight Club and Forrest Gump along side actual classics like 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, and The Godfather parts 1 and 2.

The Shawshank Redemption is not the greatest movie of all time.

The Shawshank Redemption is a movie that practically no one dislikes and everyone at least likes, if not loves (like the Godfather 2), which makes its ranking actually pretty good as far as mass appeal criteria goes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

parcs posted:

Well, maybe I have bad taste, but I really, really enjoyed this movie and think it fully deserves its ratings on IMBD or Rottentomatoes. :shrug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can't believe enough people actually understand how Rottentomatoes works now that we've regressed back to the dark days of anger over IMDB ratings.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I liked the movie a lot and agree it's not on the level of like "classic movies" which is why numerically rating movies is the dumbest loving thing ever. It's even dumber to use an RT score as a numerical rating, which it most definitely is not, but you shouldn't even be doing the bad thing of "this movie is an 8/10 and therefore this other movie which is significantly different in all aspects but objectively 'worse' cannot be more than 7.5/10" in the first place

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Why can't we just agree on an absolute list of every movie ever made, in order of quality?

I'll start:

1. Wayne's World
2. Con Air

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Like, I love to watch classic movies, or arty movies, or whatever, the last film I saw in theaters before this was a re-release of La Strada. I usually don't go in for big budget blockbusters but I can't deny I really was taken in by this movie, despite its flaws and am happy to see it do well critically. Yeah sure, I guess its objectively not as good as something like the Conversation, but honestly I just don't care, I loved it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think the point here is that you can't compare The Conversation to this. That's like saying that a dictionary is a better book than a thesaurus.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Like, I love to watch classic movies, or arty movies, or whatever, the last film I saw in theaters before this was a re-release of La Strada. I usually don't go in for big budget blockbusters but I can't deny I really was taken in by this movie, despite its flaws and am happy to see it do well critically. Yeah sure, I guess its objectively not as good as something like the Conversation, but honestly I just don't care, I loved it.

The wife of a friend of mine absolutely detests comic book movies from basically every angle (and she's right most of the time about why they're bad), but she's been gushing about WW from the second it was over

~~AS A MAN~~ it really seems like this was a capital I Important movie for women (at the very least those in my life, all of whom have said as much), which is pretty rad imvho

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
women should have the opportunity to make and star in mediocre, thematically muddled punchmans movies too

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

women should have the opportunity to make and star in mediocre, thematically muddled punchmans movies too

Thats nice dear.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Thats nice dear.

Very funny.

I'm actually quite serious, though. The sooner it becomes normal, the sooner flops are just flops and aren't blamed on the director or star being a woman, the better it'll be for women stars and directors and, more broadly, for audiences.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Very funny.

I'm actually quite serious, though. The sooner it becomes normal, the sooner flops are just flops and aren't blamed on the director or star being a woman, the better it'll be for women stars and directors and, more broadly, for audiences.

Thats nice dear.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think the point here is that you can't compare The Conversation to this. That's like saying that a dictionary is a better book than a thesaurus.

You can, and you should. The genre ghetto is an excuse, not an absolute barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

parcs posted:

Holy poo poo, someone who's actually worried about the IMDB score of a movie five minutes after it comes out. I thought this phenomenon died out years ago.

They're always high early on, then it dissipates. There's no need to worry about which number is next to a film on a website.

• Locked thread