Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah seriously. My Baylor degree doesn't travel well to Austin. It's 90 miles away, but has it's own law school.

I think you'll find that law degrees, outside the t14, are still very regional. Zero debt from #93 will open a lot of doors for you personally and in the local market.

I don't know about WAKE, but I have to imagine that UNC and Duke dominate that market.

That said : don't go to law school if you can't get into Yale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheMadMilkman posted:

Not easily. Pull up the About Us pages from a couple of law firms in the city/state you want to work in, and look at where they attended school. You'll quickly notice a pattern.

A lot of this is due to a concern that if someone doesn't have ties to the city, they're just marking time until they can find a job in NYC / DC (for the Southeast), Chicago (Midwest), or LA / SF (West).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

My University of Minnesota degree, a 20 or so ranked law school doesn't travel well, so you can imagibe how a bama degree would go in yankee country.

I dunno im in Chicago and wearing bama gear right now at this very moment

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

I dunno im in Chicago and wearing bama gear right now at this very moment

Yeah, but how many people would hire a bama lawyer outside of al? Its a football school ffs.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Well, most everyone I surveyed was either a UB grad or from another lower ranked NY school. That said, it's likely that people who go to Bama don't want to work in buffalo, so.

I know ~25 isn't t14 but it isn't like it's South Will Rise Again Community College, yeah?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Probably not as anything other than a deputy, though it's becoming more enticing recently. But as awful as some of the days are here, at least I'm learning new things, which I wouldn't be doing there. I'd also likely be far down in the pecking order, like 4th or 5th, or worse, seeing as I'm fairly certain the current deputy hasn't forgotten how I stole away one of the attorneys she loved to emotionally abuse at her previous post, and I have less seniority than some of the newer transfers.

Right, I was thinking getting back in the CS game maybe makes sense for you but probably only if it starts to look like there will A) be a new AG, B) the current overlord is not on their nice list, and C) they will make a non-patronage deputy decision.

Of course as far as I could tell the current overlord had no background with the operations or subject matter of the division, so it's not like there's a reliable playbook beyond politicking.

More Islandchat: I am 80% sure the governor's campaign lawyer is the attorney I had to clash with over a mock trial dispute of all things a couple years back. If so he was a dick, but I also hear he's making a play for US attorney. I'd rather our previous US attorney and AG just get on Twitter and see what slobbering all over Trump can get him since he probs ain't getting the governor's recommendation.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 8, 2017

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
There's a lot of people from Buffalo here at Duquesne for some reason.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This guy owns so loving hard

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/872889932477607938

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I don't know about WAKE, but I have to imagine that UNC and Duke dominate that market.

Mostly UNC. Duke students are carpetbaggers that have no intention of staying in NC long term, so NC firms won't hire them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.kasowitz.com/marc-e-kasowitz/

quote:

Described by CNBC as the "toughest lawyer on Wall Street" and by Bloomberg Financial News as an "uberlitigator," Marc E. Kasowitz is widely regarded as one of the preeminent trial lawyers in the country. ... Opponents cited by The American Lawyer have acknowledged Marc as a "powerhouse" and "the toughest of the tough guys," and a foreign publication has referred to him as "one of the most prominent and feared lawyers in the United States."

"Some people say he is the biggest badass and a total lunch-eater. Opponents always end up giving him their milk money. He loving rules but has issues spelling important words correctly."

I want to rewrite my firm bio to say poo poo like this.

Phil is often described by other lawyers as literally the toughest opponent they have ever faced. One unnamed newspaper from somewhere not in the U.S. went so far as to call him "far better and tougher than Marc Kasowitz, and also much better hung."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Some people may have said, "Blarzgh is the handsomest lawyer in America."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Some people may have said, "Blarzgh is the handsomest lawyer in America."

Hey I'm winning handsome in this thread with my short bugle fingers

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Re: law schools and traveling, I think law students and applicants don't realize how little lawyers know or care about law schools that aren't in their metropolitan region. Like, if I see an applicant that didn't go to one of our two local schools, that's immediately a barrier to hiring them. Not in the "they're probably poo poo" sense, but in the "that's an unknown quantity" sense. If I haven't heard of your law school because it's local or in the top five or ten schools, I'm going to assume you are worse than the local graduates. Locals are known quantities. I'm not going to spend thirty seconds looking up Cornell to discover that it is a T15 law school and not just a giant suicide camp. I'm going to assume that Cornell is equal to or worse than the 40th ranked law school that me and all my friends and coworkers and judges went to.

That's not fair but it's how things work.

Plus there's the "they're just going to move away in two years" problem too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Well, most everyone I surveyed was either a UB grad or from another lower ranked NY school. That said, it's likely that people who go to Bama don't want to work in buffalo, so.

I know ~25 isn't t14 but it isn't like it's South Will Rise Again Community College, yeah?

Literally no one outside of the south knows bama is anything but a TTT. Same with Minnesota outside of Minnesota, Wisconsin, IL, the Dakotas, and somehow, loving Alaska.

Weirdly, people think GW, WUSTL, and ND are hot poo poo despite not being t14s.

Also no one cares about UT on the left coast despite being a t14, soooo.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

loving Alaska.

:mad:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Right, so the consensus of the thread is don't go to Bama or Wake unless you want to live in their markets.

Does the city you want to live in not have a decent law school? Or could you not get into nyu/Columbia? You're still a 0L so you have time to retake the lsat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You got a job didn't you?
Mid sized town law peckinv order
YHS (but people will hate you)
Any T14 within 100mi or in state
Listen to the local public radio stations, listen for law firm sponsors. Go to firms website, find the 2 schools most of the partners went to.
Rest of the T14 and any instate T1s.
Football schools not in the south
Everything else.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 9, 2017

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'd love to live and laugh and lawyer there.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Right, so the consensus of the thread is don't go to Bama or Wake unless you want to live in their markets.

Does the city you want to live in not have a decent law school? Or could you not get into nyu/Columbia? You're still a 0L so you have time to retake the lsat.

I don't really want to live/work in NYC, and Cornell didn't want to play ball. I could probably improve my 170 to 172 or so but i don't know if that would move the needle given my low gpa from ugrad

SUNY buffalo isn't particularly strong and they skimped out on aid because I live here. Cuse would be fine for the buffalo market though, I'll probably take it and get the most out of it I possibly can

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

yronic heroism posted:

Right, I was thinking getting back in the CS game maybe makes sense for you but probably only if it starts to look like there will A) be a new AG, B) the current overlord is not on their nice list, and C) they will make a non-patronage deputy decision.

Of course as far as I could tell the current overlord had no background with the operations or subject matter of the division, so it's not like there's a reliable playbook beyond politicking.

More Islandchat: I am 80% sure the governor's campaign lawyer is the attorney I had to clash with over a mock trial dispute of all things a couple years back. If so he was a dick, but I also hear he's making a play for US attorney. I'd rather our previous US attorney and AG just get on Twitter and see what slobbering all over Trump can get him since he probs ain't getting the governor's recommendation.

Supposedly, Trump loves the CNMI governor for his early loyalty, and is not only considering giving the US Atty and Federal Judge positions to CNMI, but also moving the entire district court up there, which would be both awful and hilarious.

As for me, I probably have to pick a winning horse and visibly back them if I want to return to my old spot. Incumbent will win if she runs again, but if she moves on to gubernatorial pastures, and it's an open contest, I'd have some opportunity. And it's not like if I pick wrong they can punish me too much more.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

If any lawyer could see their way to getting nicknamed mad dog they would probably have their pick of Trump nominations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'd love to live and laugh and lawyer there.

It's pretty great.

Also our awesome Republican legislature is about to shut the government down. We all got our contractually required layoff notices last week. The bonus, though it's that we are all going to cash out all of our leave, which means the state is hosed but imma get paaaaaaiiiiiiiddddddd for my 400+ hours of vacation. But then when they rehire me I'll have zero. But I finally get to pay taxes like a rich man!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 9, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I don't really want to live/work in NYC, and Cornell didn't want to play ball. I could probably improve my 170 to 172 or so but i don't know if that would move the needle given my low gpa from ugrad

SUNY buffalo isn't particularly strong and they skimped out on aid because I live here. Cuse would be fine for the buffalo market though, I'll probably take it and get the most out of it I possibly can

Go regional. I had a bad UG GPA, 172 LSAT, went to UH and work in Houston. Bad GPA is tough to overcome.

You want to work in NY? Go to school in NY.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Go to school where you want to work. I made UCLA to Texas work but had to rely on my personal network in Texas to do it, OCI and career services were 0 help. I would guess if you're planning on going the TTT with scholarship path to plan on landing close to where you went to school. Like someone pointed out, likely not safe to assume top 10% and law review.

One other thought. The prevailing sentiment on the thread does not endorse this sentiment but after coasting through undergrad and my first couple jobs out of college I appreciated the competition and pressure at a school where I wasn't a big fish.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

yronic heroism posted:

If any lawyer could see their way to getting nicknamed mad dog they would probably have their pick of Trump nominations.

Well, poo poo. Does it count if it's from opposing counsel?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

yronic heroism posted:

only counts if it's law-related, foosball-related doesn't count.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ulmont posted:

Well, poo poo. Does it count if it's from opposing counsel?

Nah, opposing counsel too easy. I usually just get a temporary opposing counsel name for whatever weird piece of collateral evidence I manage to get admitted. I think you need a name generally used around your own office. Favorite one I ever heard for a guy was VanDammage based solely on his name and non JCVD demeanor. But everyone knew who we were talking about.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 13, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

See if you can get judges to call you by the desired nickname.

It really is the highest honor to be known by a nickname in the legal field. Famously, father of modern legal methodology in Norway, Torstein Eckhoff was unofficially known as "Chimney" (which rimes with Torstein, shut up it does) Eckhoff due to always smoking his goddamed pipe when giving lectures, in blatant disregard of the smoking ban of 1973.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

yronic heroism posted:

Trump to appoint Steven Leventhal to the Supreme Court, contingent upon revealing how he poured a Diet Coke into his sleeve.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

disjoe posted:

Mostly UNC. Duke students are carpetbaggers that have no intention of staying in NC long term, so NC firms won't hire them.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to hire people when they don't bother applying for positions.

To quote the head of recruiting for my firm's Charlotte office, "We'd love to get more Duke summers, they just don't interview for our office because they're not interested in working in [lovely backwards southern cities that don't have public transportation]."

Why are you posting in this thread? Shouldn't you be off protesting the removal of a General Lee statue or something?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Guess who just got appointed as standby counsel for a pro se sovereign citizen?
(trial to begin after the trial I'm starting Monday finishes)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

joat mon posted:

lmbo. get ready for some liens recorded on your house.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

I dare you to create jointer

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

HiddenReplaced posted:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to hire people when they don't bother applying for positions.

To quote the head of recruiting for my firm's Charlotte office, "We'd love to get more Duke summers, they just don't interview for our office because they're not interested in working in [lovely backwards southern cities that don't have public transportation]."

Why are you posting in this thread? Shouldn't you be off protesting the removal of a General Lee statue or something?

Well, I'm speaking more about midsized firms based in NC, not large firms with NC offices. I don't know much about the latter.

When I was at Duke they discouraged us from applying to NC firms because they said we would lose to UNC applicants.

I don't really know about that last sentence and don't get it. Last time I checked I wasn't a confederate sympathizer.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

disjoe posted:

Well, I'm speaking more about midsized firms based in NC, not large firms with NC offices. I don't know much about the latter.

When I was at Duke they discouraged us from applying to NC firms because they said we would lose to UNC applicants.

I don't really know about that last sentence and don't get it. Last time I checked I wasn't a confederate sympathizer.

Your career services office was (unsurprisingly) garbage.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Your career services office was (unsurprisingly) garbage.

Ah, they all are.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
hot take: Donny's pardons are void as against public policy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ha, I'm taking a different transit home than normal and I ended up sitting right near a judge I appeared in front of tons of times. he's talking loudly on the phone about making sure someone (not clear) has the right backing of the right judge to get on a short list for replacing said judge. the judge on the phone was unable to pull strings due to being out of town.

The way things work.
edit: some lawyer named a kid after him. ahahaha

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 13, 2021