Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

HWAORANGAtang not anime? Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
shaheen is a salafist

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Josie belongs in the farthest top left corner

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You're free to make your own lists :colbert:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

shaheen is a salafist
are you the same dude who said playing shaheen is "supporting the saudi arabian regime"

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Skjorte posted:

I've played 9 games with Ling and have reached 2nd kyu now. If I level up one (two?) more time(s), will every other character also level up, or is that not until I reach a higher milestone? I'm a very comfortable Xiaoyu player and an extremely bad everyone else player, so I'd hate to not have those ten or so low-level fights with all of the other characters.

Every other character levels up to 1st dan when you get to that, so about two games, yeah. I've barely played fighting games before this one so that was pretty terrifying to find out first hand, but I've been doing alright with my second character. I think you'll be fine if you try stuff out in practice beforehand.

That said I'm on PC/Europe so the skill level might not be as high as on console. I still can't do any of my big combos in an actual match and I'm at 3rd dan with both of my characters (Lili & Paul).

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they're all anime and they're all good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sharrrk posted:

they're all anime and they're all good
That's true, "not anime" in terms of Tekken characters is still really anime. :c00lbutt:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Skjorte posted:

I'm guessing it's only live in Europe at the moment, though I didn't notice a download, and there's nothing new in the game's Update History. I'm still getting more 'couldn't connect' or 'couldn't send fight request' messages than I am fights, but I've managed to connect with a handful of players, so EU definitely did get a boost. Hopefully they're still tweaking the algorithm because connecting was way less of an issue in T6 and Tag 2.

I've played 9 games with Ling and have reached 2nd kyu now. If I level up one (two?) more time(s), will every other character also level up, or is that not until I reach a higher milestone? I'm a very comfortable Xiaoyu player and an extremely bad everyone else player, so I'd hate to not have those ten or so low-level fights with all of the other characters.

It won't be long before 1st dan is basically trash tier, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Your Computer posted:

You're free to make your own lists :colbert:

are you the same dude who said playing shaheen is "supporting the saudi arabian regime"

what are yuo saying you LIKE the saudi regime?? you support wahhabism????

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jmcrofts posted:

It won't be long before 1st dan is basically trash tier, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It already is :ssh:.

Source : am a trash rear end player who still gets wins at 1st dan.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jmcrofts posted:

Ugh I thought ranks were character based but now I remember this coming up before. So much for me being happy I've gone through treasure mode undefeated with Nina so far and not dipping into online yet.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Played around in practice for an hour or so last night since I'm still unfamiliar enough with Tekken to actually play against real people, pulling off some of the sample combos properly is a good feeling of progression. Having played For Honor for the last few months, it's nice to have a fighting game on PC that's made by people who are competent.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Medullah posted:

Ugh I thought ranks were character based but now I remember this coming up before. So much for me being happy I've gone through treasure mode undefeated with Nina so far and not dipping into online yet.

1) They are, you just get boosted to 1st Dan for everyone once you hit it with one char because they want the lower ranks to be for 'literally doesn't know game mechanics' tier.
2) Your treasure mode rank is independent from your online rank, they're different.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Medullah posted:

Your online and offline ranks are separate, so you won't be punished for having played a lot of offline games. The game does a pretty poor job of tracking your online stats, though. You can find out how many ranked matches you've won in total, but there doesn't seem to be a way to check out character-specific stats.

I offer rematches to the people I beat unless our game was laggy. My memory isn't the best in the world, but I'm almost certain I've experienced the other guy entering the rematch with another character than the one they used when I beat them. How are they doing that? Or can I just not tell the difference between Steve/Bryan and Jin/Lars anymore?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

attackmole posted:

1) They are, you just get boosted to 1st Dan for everyone once you hit it with one char because they want the lower ranks to be for 'literally doesn't know game mechanics' tier.
2) Your treasure mode rank is independent from your online rank, they're different.

Ah cool, I look forward to getting violated because I've tortured myself with Nina for years because a young me liked breaking arms

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
There are other rank boosts later on - I saw Aris get to Brawler, which I think is about 10th Dan, and every other character got boosted to 3rd Dan.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
The patch is out in NA now, too. Comes in a 700ish mb update that removes character/rank of your next potential opponent, so now ranked only has the Warm-Up option, but at least it kinda works occasionally.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Did they make it so you can look at move lists in warmup or is that bizarrely absent still?

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Nope. I don't think they've had that in previous games either, so I wouldn't hold out hope.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
I am embarrassed by how much time I spent on this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

No way is Nina a libertarian. Whole chart is suspect.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
shaheen is a mutaween

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Which characters use flashy smash moves? I wanna crush people using something like drags running overhand.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Just got Tekken God Prime in Treasure Battle. My thanks to Kazumi's power crushes.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

poe meater posted:

Which characters use flashy smash moves? I wanna crush people using something like drags running overhand.

Paul, Feng, Heihachi, Jack, Bryan, Miguel and Kuma/Panda are all pretty smashy. Feng might be the flashiest of the lot? I hardly know anything about Gigas, but he looks like he might fit the bill as well.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Guys I did it I think I found my main.

It's Lili. As soon as I started messing with her in training mode I was like yes this is it, she has fancy evades, she has flips, nothing super fancy and its easy to understand.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Foodahn posted:

Jack is who I started playin with. He's so so basic, so turtley and so good at being basic and turtley, the perfect compliment to my training-room-only Mishimas (i am a slave to EWGF).

So basically just block? A lot. And punish as hard as you can. Throw out a 2,1 every now and then. Probably a few d/b+1 cause that button is legit. If you want to get a little aggressive you can ff+1 (follow this up with EMGF if you can, or d/b+2 if you can't do it reliably, also ff+1 is safe). Standard d/f+2 launcher but it's got some serious range. ff+3 is also fun to throw out, it's plus on block so.. I guess push some buttons afterward? Throw? I dunno. I'm not gonna pretend I'm good.

Oh and d/f+1,1 is gonna be your screw attack (s!) that you'll use in practically every juggle.

Also, know your command throws. Also, if/when you win, press 3+4 a bunch, alternatively press d/b+1,2,1,2,1,2.

Edit: and since it's kinda on topic, Rage Drive is probably a better use of rage than RA, at least until you/I start playin dudes who can block it on reaction, which i guess is possible.

Thanks for all of this amigo. I thought it was the Cossack Kicks that I was supposed to do if I won though. Help?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Overbite posted:

It's Lili. As soon as I started messing with her in training mode I was like yes this is it, she has fancy evades, she has flips, nothing super fancy and its easy to understand.

Yeah, I'm really digging her. Flip all day every day. I worked on integrating her side hop move today, I can't tell if it's actually good for evasion compared to sidestepping but it seems like a good mix-up tool

Also I wish I could set my customization thumbnail to be the loading portrait

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I'm really digging her. Flip all day every day. I worked on integrating her side hop move today, I can't tell if it's actually good for evasion compared to sidestepping but it seems like a good mix-up tool

Also I wish I could set my customization thumbnail to be the loading portrait

her back + kick seems to get stuffed by everything at close range so it's kinda hard to use it to evade. Sometimes I can confuse low level players by spinning around everywhere then dashing in with a 3 for a flip kick but I don't see these tricks working on people who know what they are doing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Overbite posted:

I don't know, I feel like she's pretty fancy :haw:

She was one of the first characters I tried in a Tekken ever I think, of course I was just mashing buttons back then. She's definitely on my list of characters I want to learn better, but I always felt like she was somewhat complicated kinda like Feng? Lots of evasion, crouchdash and backturned moves right?

I know I'm switching characters nearly daily but I'm having a ton of fun exploring the different movelists and playstyles. Maybe it would be a better idea to stick to one character and get really good at it, but I feel like at least I'm learning their movesets which will help me defend against them, and the fundamentals I'm learning are the same across characters. Also getting better at pressing buttons which always helps. And how can I know who I want to main if I have only tried a couple of characters? :3:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

tyblazitar posted:

I am embarrassed by how much time I spent on this.

kazuya and heihachi run global economic corporations that are so big they can literally fight a world war against eachother like a king or an emperor would (with their main credentials being "can punch really hard"), how are they only slightly more authoritarian than a cosplaying weeb?

I have to rate your list 0/10 for a complete lack of lore knowledge.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

My PS4 player friend says that since the patch he's had exceptionally laggy matches. He said pre-patch when MM was busted and all you could was tournaments it was fine but since the patch it's been a lag fest. Anyone else have the same experience?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Might be because everyone can suddenly connect now? Not sure

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I got about 30 matches in now in ranked since the patch. Only knock I can put on it is once I got to first dan all of a sudden it took much longer to find matches, which honestly I guess I find understandable as today is the first "true" day of ranked matches since it was busted before.

Match quality in all matches I would rate as excellent, on par with injustice 2. Only thing ranked would really need now is a true 2/3, not this one rematch only jazz and let people sit at a tie.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Just got Tekken God Prime in Treasure Battle. My thanks to Kazumi's power crushes.

What rank is Tekken God prime? I just hit conquerer and I'm curious how much farther I have to go.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hello have this game on PS4 and I can family share a buddy's copy on PC I play Shaheen and Claudio and Chloe (can't decide who to focus on) and a little bit of Law, I would like to fight goons please beat my rear end thank you god bless

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

I got about 30 matches in now in ranked since the patch. Only knock I can put on it is once I got to first dan all of a sudden it took much longer to find matches, which honestly I guess I find understandable as today is the first "true" day of ranked matches since it was busted before.

Match quality in all matches I would rate as excellent, on par with injustice 2. Only thing ranked would really need now is a true 2/3, not this one rematch only jazz and let people sit at a tie.

Aris put out a video asking for unlimited rematches so you can "deathmatch" someone, meaning play them until one of you gets high enough level off of wins from the other that you no longer impact each others rank. Sounds cool but niche

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

darealkooky posted:

kazuya and heihachi run global economic corporations that are so big they can literally fight a world war against eachother like a king or an emperor would (with their main credentials being "can punch really hard"), how are they only slightly more authoritarian than a cosplaying weeb?

I have to rate your list 0/10 for a complete lack of lore knowledge.
"Powerful" and "authoritarian" are different things.

BattleTech posted:

What rank is Tekken God prime? I just hit conquerer and I'm curious how much farther I have to go.

It's 100 dan, have fun.

Yes, it does literally say 100 dan, however in reality it's the rank after 34th dan.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Real hurthling! posted:

Aris put out a video asking for unlimited rematches so you can "deathmatch" someone, meaning play them until one of you gets high enough level off of wins from the other that you no longer impact each others rank. Sounds cool but niche

Sounds bit extreme, but a true 2/3 ain't too much to ask for. Its the biggest feature I want for injustice 2 as well. Seems so incredibly odd just to leave it at the one rematch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Special fights in treasure mode are the worst loving garbage.

that's all