Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

isn't that more or less the same thing that happened to Valve years ago?

also cdpr has a very good new game now and it is called gwent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, she steals that stupid mask despite the fact that the druids tell her it will end the world, she's says that's a bunch of nonsense.

They are wrong, she's right.

She not only knows better than the druids, she knows that literally no one will listen to her, even Geralt will try to explain to her that there *must* be another way. And they will waste valuable time in the search for their daughter.

The fact that people online routinely interpret her actions as Yen nearly destroying the world over the objections of smarty men... I mean, am I totally wrong to smell some misogyny at play?

1. The main plot of the game, such as it is, deals with foiling an apocalyptic prophecy about an extreme weather event that will destroy the world. In that context, "lol, storm goddess wrath" seems a bit stupid.

2. If she does have solid reasons to assume things will work out fine (or even that the storm we've seen the mask summon won't actually kill an unknown number of innocent bystanders nearby), she doesn't care to share them with us.

3. Yeah, she goes straight for stealing from friends and endangering anything between the local forest / Skellige / the world itself, instead of consulting with "smarty men" to look for another way, strong independent woman that she is.

4. The other way is literally asking anyone in Skellige "hey, did the Wild Hunt pass through these parts recently?" and heading to the site of the attack.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Which is why I'm quick to point out that there's nothing wrong with not liking Yen, she's mean. Some people don't think that's a good trait, some people see it differently. I just think it's easy for some people to interpret her character shallowly, especially because video games, generally, do not train players to look for complexity.

and yeah also patriarchy a lil*

*in darker corners of the internet, it's not a lil
All media can be consumed intellectually and while particular preferences come from particular life experiences it's not possible to pinpoint the exact ones (unless you actually know the person). Broad generalizations in this matter tell more about the anxieties of people making those than about groups being generalized.

People who enjoy tragic movies don't have to be depressed, people who enjoy horrors don't have to be victims of traumas, people who don't like Yen may fully understand her character and still not choose her for a variety of reasons including for example an interpretation that Geralt and her are a dysfunctional couple. You may or may not think that their communication issues are so bad that they're in dire need of magical couples therapy (another big plus for the game's incredible realism in depicting adults and their problems) but it doesn't have to have anything to do with patriarchy or whatever. I won't argue with you when comments against Yen come in the context of other misogynistic views because that's a different matter. However, not everything is self-evidently a projection, compulsion, exploitation or a power fantasy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

people who don't like Yen may fully understand her character and still not choose her for a variety of reasons including for example an interpretation that Geralt and her are a dysfunctional couple. You may or may not think that their communication issues are so bad that they're in dire need of magical couples therapy (another big plus for the game's incredible realism in depicting adults and their problems) but it doesn't have to have anything to do with patriarchy or whatever.

When an individual dislikes something, it's good not to rush to judgment as to why they don't like it, but when there is a pattern of it, it's perfectly fine to discuss that that's happening within the context of a patriarchal society and that sexism may be a contributor in the trend.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I agree with using context, that's what I wrote in the next sentence.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Someone mentioned it earlier, but the bigger issue between Triss and Yen is Geralt himself. He's a big brooding man child who his friends poke fun of constantly. Don't let the beard fool you, he's not a "wise, cultured old man." He's a 16 year trapped in the body of a 106 year old mutant monster killer. Triss loves him to death. Yen loves him as well, but actually accepts who he is. Triss swoons over the "idea" of Geralt rather than the person. Shani straight up knows he's the manbaby I described above. Geralt is awesome because of these very qualities. There is no such thing as a "cmdr Shepard" in this world, he only exists in movies. But Geralt is very real and has qualities most males share in some degree. But either way, he's not the best relationship material.

And not to be "that guy" but I think it's unfair to judge a character without having read the body of work the character is based on. It'd be like judging Darth Vader as a sentimental character with good inside, having only seen Return of the Jedi.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
guys, I didn't call anyone here a sexist, you can put your fedoras away

"some people on the internet have really unhealthy opinions about girls" is not a shocking revelation

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 8, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

I agree with using context, that's what I wrote in the next sentence.

Fair enough. Most "shipping wars" are just about teams taunting each other the same way sports rivals do anyway, so I've always interpreted the "If you hate Yen, it's because you hate you parents!" type replies to be pretty tongue-in-cheek and not some kind of serious attempt to psychoanalyze someone based on their internet post.

(If you choose Triss, you probably eat plain white bread while watching paint dry, though.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

sean10mm posted:

Compare how Triss and Yennefer react when your adopted daughter goes missing and is being hunted down by cosmic demons.

Yennefer goes out and tears poo poo up trying to find her.

Triss sits in a puddle of her own piss in Novigrad mooning over you and asking you to run mostly unrelated errands for her pet project, hoping your Stockholm Syndrome over her raping you when you were amnesic kicks in.

Triss is superficially nice but a really bad person. Yennefer is an unpleasant person early on who is actually fiercely loyal and protective.

Basically Triss was a speed bump for me once I realized this.

You can hash out the morality of it all you want, I picked Triss because Yennefer is simply annoying to be around.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I picked Triss because she was a cute curvy redhead, aaaaand that was about the extent of my thought process there.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Today's thoughts:

1. Holy poo poo the swamp witch / bloody baron questline was good.
2. Not a big fan of Ciri's voice actress so far
3. Is my beard growing?!!
4. The game could a lot more some non-quest-related NPCs. Just some dudes to talk at every village. I think they tried to use the contract boards to convey lore, but it would be more effective if it wasn't just big walls of text.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

redbackground posted:

I picked Triss because she was a cute curvy redhead, aaaaand that was about the extent of my thought process there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Smol posted:

yes

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

GOTY of all years

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Smol posted:

It will keep growing too, unless you go to a barber to style it. I think if you go to get it clean shaven at a barber that it will grow back. It's great.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The default cuts will grow back, the styles added with dlc are static I think.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Geralt is the happiest when he sits in his garage working on his car or looking through his stashed MTG collection when nobody's looking (eveything still in pro sleeves, mint condition).

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Palpek posted:

Geralt is the happiest when he sits in his garage working on his car or looking through his stashed MTG collection when nobody's looking (eveything still in pro sleeves, mint condition).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

guys, I didn't call anyone here a sexist, you can put your fedoras away

"some people on the internet have really unhealthy opinions about girls" is not a shocking revelation

Most people have unhealthy opinions, period.

Like anybody who doesn't have the opinion that Shani is Best Girl.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nice sweater. FOr a clown to wear to the circuis

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Iron Crowned posted:

I like to imagine this is what Geralt would be like if he didn't become a witcher.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Ignoring how awful literally everything else is about that photo, his head doesn't look too bad.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Truth be told my main reason for picking Triss was that it was the only way to have sex with her. Yen gives it up on the unicorn with no commitment. My Geralt had a sacred mission, dammit, and nothing was going to stand in his way!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Real men gently caress both Yen and Triss and then skip the It Takes Three to Tango mission, thereby avoiding all consequences.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's not like Geralt's just saying "there must be another way", the druid guy said there IS another way. We just never hear it because she Leeroy Jenkins off with the mask. It's not like I'm trusting A Man's ideas over hers and She Knows Better, she's literally just being impatient here in a way that could gently caress over a lot of people. I don't have any reason to trust that she's right on this when every decision that she makes seems to be one that fucks over other people.

Moments that make me irritated at her: When Crache asks if she mentioned Ciri when asking the druid to examine the magic site. She gets irritated and says that it wasn't any of his business. Crache: "Uh huh." Which suggests that hey, he might have let her take a look if she mentioned that. Instead, she had a blowout argument and wasted time because she is pathologically unable to just loving explain. She had to wait for Geralt to walk in and lend a hand because hey, turns out people trust him more. Maybe because he explains things.

EVERYTHING, everyone's reactions to her, everything she says, everything makes me think she's a serial manipulating jackass who always thinks she's right and withholds information because someone else might not agree with her.

Real talk: People might be a little bit right about failed relationships informing people's opinions on the girls, but in my case, it's... extra unfortunate. Yen reminds me too much of a friend's super controlling, abusive ex. You don't like me breaking into your e-mail and phone? ARE YOU HIDING SOMETHING? I know you hate when I do this, but I'm going to do it anyway and make fun of you when you object. ;3 I'm going to make all the important decisions for us because you can't be trusted to~ All it's missing is a horrible custody battle over Ciri complete with blackmail. Geralt is that friend who's in a horrible relationship and EVERYONE close to them tries to point it out. Except some loving bards are singing songs about it like it's the most romantic thing ever and my comparison falls apart, what the heck, bards.

Also, Lambert's a dick.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm done with Yen As A Romance so I am happy enough. I am free to romance or not romance others as I see fit. First thing I did was forget what time it was and play Gwent/pursue sidequests until 4 am gently caress.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

thing is that blabbing about what they are dealing with and who are they looking for is quite a loving pickle, but since Geralt lacks any subtlety (as shown in Novigrad), Yen is overcautious - she keeps her cards really close because

remember the nilfgaard spy got loving threshed just by getting like a faint whiff of Ciri? Yeah, that's that. Yennefer holds back because poo poo like that can put Crach, Ermion et al in danger and she knows the Wild Hunt well enough to understand what they are capable of much better than the rest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mangoose posted:

I'll agree on the sylvans, but where do you get that unicorns are scraggly, donkey goat things in the books?

In time of contempt, the chapter where Ciri teleports to the desert has a preface about how unicorns actually look compared to the fantastical ideas ignorant people have. The unicorn that helps Ciri out of the desert was decidedly non majestic.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Arcsquad12 posted:

In time of contempt, the chapter where Ciri teleports to the desert has a preface about how unicorns actually look compared to the fantastical ideas ignorant people have. The unicorn that helps Ciri out of the desert was decidedly non majestic.

Aren't the Elves in the world the Wild Hunt comes from at war with the Unicorns?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I love the idea that there's a planet out there where Elves who are dressed up for a GWAR concert and usher in a pocket ice-age everywhere they go have been waging an endless war with unicorns farting rainbows and sparkles at them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
^^^I'd read the hell out of that.

dead comedy forums posted:

thing is that blabbing about what they are dealing with and who are they looking for is quite a loving pickle, but since Geralt lacks any subtlety (as shown in Novigrad), Yen is overcautious - she keeps her cards really close because

remember the nilfgaard spy got loving threshed just by getting like a faint whiff of Ciri? Yeah, that's that. Yennefer holds back because poo poo like that can put Crach, Ermion et al in danger and she knows the Wild Hunt well enough to understand what they are capable of much better than the rest

This would be fine if she didn't handle literally everything the same way, no matter how important or unimportant. If she didn't, people might be willing to just take her word for it this time. But everything indicates that she handles everything this way, so nobody is willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. So Geralt has to come in and explain, and we're back in a full circle to "explaining would have solved this problem faster."

Heck, explaining could get them to skip the whole thing. "Wait, you said the Wild Hunt was after her? they attacked this village..."

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 8, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I installed the mandatory mods and now I'm encountering two issues.

First is, the script merger says there are no mods. I have pointed the program to the correct folder, and I have the mods installed correctly in the Mods subfolder.

Secondly, I can't load my save game now, it says I am missing the DLCs required to access content. I have the icons on the menu screen saying I have them installed. I've tried verifying and repairing. I'm hoping I can solve this without uninstalling and downloading 34gb again.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 8, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The reveal that Wild Hunt are just SPAAAACE EEEEELVES is probably the most disappointing part of the game. I really was hoping for more from them.

Also I know this isn't even a reveal if you've read the books or played previous games, but I hadn't.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The reveal that Wild Hunt are just SPAAAACE EEEEELVES is probably the most disappointing part of the game. I really was hoping for more from them.

Also I know this isn't even a reveal if you've read the books or played previous games, but I hadn't.

It was disappointing, but I warmed up to it 'cause it opened up the whole interdimensional portion of the plot and that has my favorite quest in it.

My biggest issue is that them being what they are makes it weirder that the Crones are besties with them. The Crones are ancient creatures; the Wild Hunt would be a relatively recent thing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay, installing the NPC scabbards mod makes the game unable to load anything.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 9, 2017

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

This would be fine if she didn't handle literally everything the same way, no matter how important or unimportant. If she didn't, people might be willing to just take her word for it this time. But everything indicates that she handles everything this way, so nobody is willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. So Geralt has to come in and explain, and we're back in a full circle to "explaining would have solved this problem faster."

Heck, explaining could get them to skip the whole thing. "Wait, you said the Wild Hunt was after her? they attacked this village..."

actually that isn't bad; I think it is a fantastic piece of characterization for both of them, regardless how you feel about - like palpek and comte were saying, you can dislike Yen and it is fine - my point is that you can see the reasons why she acts like that given the situation she's in

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

lmao, "reveal". Read the books, pleb :smug:
But in all seriousness, it makes the King of the Wild Hunt's appearance in W1 retroactively hilarious if you didn't already know at that point.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
"Hmm, it's been over 15,000 posts since I last went into the witcher thread, and it's close to E3, so maybe they will be talking about any cyberpunk 2077 news"

*It is STILL Yen vs Triss chat.*

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dead comedy forums posted:

actually that isn't bad; I think it is a fantastic piece of characterization for both of them, regardless how you feel about - like palpek and comte were saying, you can dislike Yen and it is fine - my point is that you can see the reasons why she acts like that given the situation she's in

Oh, it's fine characterization for a character I hate. But thread is kinda full of "no, she is the best, you have juvenile romantic opinions and you have to read three novels before you can dislike her!" weirdos.

Sorry, bros, her behavior just frustrates me to my core. :shrug: She passed the point where previous or future behavior can make her better relationship material for me.

Broose posted:

"Hmm, it's been over 15,000 posts since I last went into the witcher thread, and it's close to E3, so maybe they will be talking about any cyberpunk 2077 news"

*It is STILL Yen vs Triss chat.*

New players will keep it going forever. (I am one of those new players, sorry. Also, the answer to Yen v Triss is still Shani)

I actually like it. I like that Witcher is medieval area science fiction where magic is part of the science. It's a very different world feel from what I'm used to.

Also, I'm sad Kalkstein is dead, but at least he died in style.

RADOVID SUCKS FLACCID COCK

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 9, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Yen made him wear it for the Skellige Yule dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Ahh, Triss versus Yen chat. Let's see...what else can raise the thread's ire...

Just unlocked the Troll Killer achievement.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 9, 2017