Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

This is my first time hearing about it so forgive me if I seem naive to that tumult.

Do the most cursory of research before you ask your questions maybe?

The thing is, Operation Bootstrap was never supposed to be where things stopped. But the US Government never really funded any sort of plan beyond that, say to maneuver Puerto Rico into a more service and knowledge based economy as the wealthier states of the union later became, which would be a logical next step. And the Puerto Rican government largely doesn't have the resources to manage that kind of thing on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

I am not Latin, but I am American, so maybe you guys can help. Do you think Puerto Rico would be better continuing as they are, as a full state, or full independence?

Statehood would probably be most advantageous but I doubt Congress would go along. Independence would leave PR proper hosed because the federal money would stop.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Do the most cursory of research before you ask your questions maybe?

You are the person who asked this:

fishmech posted:

What do you consider particularly corrupt about the current Brazilian system?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Any of you insiders have updates on the TSE deliberations?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Scaramouche posted:

Any of you insiders have updates on the TSE deliberations?

Not an insider, also on vacation so not really following the news.

Its going to be 4x3 In favor of ignoring the odebretcht evidence, with present Gilmar Mendes voting against what past Gilmar Mendes said.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Brazilian royalty is still trying to stay relevant for some reason, I guess the political turmoil has given them some hope.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If they want to stay relevant they should find hotter royals.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badger of Basra posted:

If they want to stay relevant they should find hotter royals.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I have a bunch of weird authoritarian "friends" who can't stop talking about how the monarchy is the solution to all Brazil's problems.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

hoiyes posted:

I have a bunch of weird authoritarian "friends" who can't stop talking about how the monarchy is the solution to all Brazil's problems.
They probably reminisce on the glory days of the liberal Emperor Pedro II, and think 'hey, we should have a guy like that! He'd solve everything!'

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Magrov posted:

Not an insider, also on vacation so not really following the news.

Its going to be 4x3 In favor of ignoring the odebretcht evidence, with present Gilmar Mendes voting against what past Gilmar Mendes said.

Eu já sabia. Globonews/G1, give me a blog and a 30 minutes daily show, im better than Cristiane lobo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hate this stupid country. We're just doomed to mediocrity.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Dias posted:

Implying it's good enough to be mediocre.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dias posted:

Stink Terios posted:

Implying it's good enough to be mediocre.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Yeah like Dias said, it's not really shame, it's more like a pervasive pessimism. And I really don't have a good explanation for the general sentiment but I feel like maybe it's something about the way we're educated? Ever since as kids we learn things about Brazil in a cynical way.

And it's funny because the more I know people from other countries, the more I see that all faults (and strong points too!*) that are attributed to brazilians are not exceptionally brazilian qualities at all.

I guess you could put it this way: we have some weird kind of brazilian exceptionalism.

So when's the next election?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is this where we should talk about Puerto Rico and their upcoming referendum, or is there a more appropriate thread for that?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do so many people want a dictatorship back? Is there any data showing that a large sum of people would prefer such a switch? I can't imagine the mental gymnastics to justify such a thing.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do so many people want a dictatorship back? Is there any data showing that a large sum of people would prefer such a switch? I can't imagine the mental gymnastics to justify such a thing.

Because being Latin American is a hell of a drug

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is this where we should talk about Puerto Rico and their upcoming referendum, or is there a more appropriate thread for that?

I get that reference! (in your handle)

(because I'm one of the poor benighted who actually likes the WoT :smithcloud:)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punk rebel ecks posted:

Corrution and abuse of authority wasn't publicized back then nor was most crime statistics and as such people who never lived in it honestly believe crime and corruption was lower.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

whiteyfats posted:

I get that reference! (in your handle)

(because I'm one of the poor benighted who actually likes the WoT :smithcloud:)

What's up WoT buddy! :):hf::)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's up WoT buddy! :):hf::)

:yaycloud:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Magrov posted:

Eu já sabia. Globonews/G1, give me a blog and a 30 minutes daily show, im better than Cristiane lobo.

Huh. Is there a term for I'm disappointed for being disappointed?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I suppose it is. Could you tell me why the main parties boycotted the referendum. Again? Do they want an official referendum ordered by congress? If so why dont they realize the bullshit thats going on in DC right now means its not even on the list of things they might want to do?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
They boycotted it because they knew they'd lose. Also, it's easier to organize a boycot over a signle issue referendum vote than it would be if there were legislative elections at the same time.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Wait. What do you mean by they knew they'd lose, I thought one of the parties was officially pro-statehood? Why would they boycott the referendum? I could understand the pro independence one boycotting it but not both.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Communist Zombie posted:

Wait. What do you mean by they knew they'd lose, I thought one of the parties was officially pro-statehood? Why would they boycott the referendum? I could understand the pro independence one boycotting it but not both.

The pro-statehood party didn't boycott it as far as I know.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I did an interview with a goon about Venezuela, in case anybody was interested.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
(Uruguayan goon reporting in) Uruguay's getting pretty bad as well, considering how many reasonable, fine, international trade deals we've suddenly pulled out of. Seriously? The only thing that's keeping me here is the zero-tax on IT income from international entities.

Nonetheless, everything's steadily getting more expensive, and steadily more bigly badly for everyone, even if it's all at a slow pace.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

An interview by a video game streamer that starts with "yeah... So I didn't prepare this at all" and then goes on for 40 minutes.
I'm sure lots of valuable geopolitical knowledge can be taken from this.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
Elections coming up in Chile pretty soon.

Piñera victory looking good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

An interview by a video game streamer that starts with "yeah... So I didn't prepare this at all" and then goes on for 40 minutes.
I'm sure lots of valuable geopolitical knowledge can be taken from this.

So in other words, still more informative than your posts.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

pepito sanchez posted:

(Uruguayan goon reporting in) Uruguay's getting pretty bad as well, considering how many reasonable, fine, international trade deals we've suddenly pulled out of. Seriously? The only thing that's keeping me here is the zero-tax on IT income from international entities.

Nonetheless, everything's steadily getting more expensive, and steadily more bigly badly for everyone, even if it's all at a slow pace.

Why is Uruguay pulling out of trade deals, and has your economy been effected by the recession in Brazil?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

wateroverfire posted:

Elections coming up in Chile pretty soon.

Piñera victory looking good.

In a sea of assholes, he's definitely the best option.
At least the left needs to be stomped out of government.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

In a sea of assholes, he's definitely the best option.
At least the left needs to be stomped out of government.

Yeah pretty much.

Somewhere out there is a government that has the vision to pursue social change and the competence to not wreck the economy getting there, but until that precious unicorn emerges I'm voting for the assholes who can keep the lights on.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, so maybe 10 days without any of us bitching means everything is fine down South oh no wait they found out that a plane carrying 500kg of cocaine left from a farm belonging to our Secretary of Agriculture never fuckin' mind.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Meanwhile, Aecio will likely get away completely free despite video tape evidence of him taking bribes and talking about murdering people who cooperate with investigations, while rumors are that Lula will get 22 years in prison for using an apartment that didn't belong to him as a bribe.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Dias posted:

Hey, so maybe 10 days without any of us bitching means everything is fine down South oh no wait they found out that a plane carrying 500kg of cocaine left from a farm belonging to our Secretary of Agriculture never fuckin' mind.

wow, amazing that farmhands would moonlight as drug kingpins, in open defiance of their magnanimous landlord. good thing they're not getting paid anymore

or, alternatively: zeze perella could only move 445 kg. That's over 12% growth in transport capacity in under four years!

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

SexyBlindfold posted:

wow, amazing that farmhands would moonlight as drug kingpins, in open defiance of their magnanimous landlord. good thing they're not getting paid anymore

or, alternatively: zeze perella could only move 445 kg. That's over 12% growth in transport capacity in under four years!

total weight in drugs moved is the literal measure of power in the national congress

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pablo Escobar, eat your heart out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

bagual posted:

also available as a documentary series in youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfCpd4ibH3c

also, the government tried a ban on using official pics of the president for memes, which sparked a blowback and eventually a report on meme creators, who are exactly the types you'd expect

O CRIADORSINHO DE MEMESINHO