Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

Usual advice is to sell when you can reap a big profit. Question you need to ask yourself is "would I buy in at the present price?" If no, then sell. If yes, then maybe hold.

Like those Quist Yes he could have dropped for near 50 cents last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
This worked out well.

Take your Quist-No money move it to the Georgia Election against Ossoff for 35 cents. That market will be back up to 50/50 soon.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

bawfuls posted:

I haven't seen much polling from Montana, is it really free money?

Yep.

Hot Tip: Body slams increase profit margins so much, you'll need a 20 gallon hat to carry away all this free money.

"Quist No From the Get-Go"™

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Merlot Brougham posted:

Yep.

Hot Tip: Body slams increase profit margins so much, you'll need a 20 gallon hat to carry away all this free money.

"Quist No From the Get-Go"™

quist no after the body slam incident was an incredible opportunity at 50c, almost made me want to get back into this

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

quist hit 65c last night briefly. 0-5 margin was at 60c.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

quist no after the body slam incident was an incredible opportunity at 50c, almost made me want to get back into this

I'd recommend it. The water's fine.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Bought in at Kushner charges yes at 19 this morning. Thoughts on riding this one out or flipping it now for some beer money?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Beer should always be the most important factor, seriously.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Why is this market still open and why is yes so low?

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/4792/Will-Trump-withdraw-from-the-Paris-Agreement-in-2017#data

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Because of the specific rules of the market. The conditions for this to resolve yes have not yet occurred. Maybe not a bad buy, but I'll stick to the free money. There are plenty of better markets.

Predictit.org posted:

On or before December 31, 2017, Donald Trump, while serving as president of the United States, or an authorized agent or agency of the federal government, shall publicly announce the United States' unconditional withdrawal from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) or shall issue an executive order or other instrument with the effect of removing or nullifying the United States' signature from, participation in, or compliance with the Paris Agreement under the UNFCCC. Such withdrawal, executive order or other instrument need not be effective by the End Date.

PredictIt’s decisions and determinations under this rule shall be at PredictIt’s sole discretion and shall be final.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

what about that doesn't apply to this week's announcement? I don't get what's ambiguous about it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bawfuls posted:

what about that doesn't apply to this week's announcement? I don't get what's ambiguous about it

It isn't 100% clear if this line has been satisfied: "[Trump or agent] shall publicly announce the United States' unconditional withdrawal from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)..." Part of the problem is that Trump is functionally illiterate, so the actual words that came out of his mouth are confusing: "“the United States will withdraw from the Paris climate accord, but begin negotiations to reenter either the Paris accord” or another “entirely new transaction, on terms that are fair to the United States.” Does that amount to "unconditional withdrawal?"

Personally, I think Yes is a good buy at 70c, but these rules have been known to bite people in the rear end, and you can safely assume that dozens of maxed bettors will be emailing PI in both directions with what amount to legal briefs on the matter. Part of the problem is that people "farm" ambiguous markets by buying whatever is cheap and then selling when the price goes up due to chaos.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It is 100% clear that that line hasn't been satisfied; the UNFCCC treaty was never mentioned by Trump. Trump ejecting us from the UNFCCC would've been the super quick way of ejecting us from the Paris Agreement.

The Paris Agreement is subordinate to the UNFCCC, and PI makes that distinction between the two in the rules.

It's also fairly clear that Trump hasn't yet triggered the second part of the rules by merely making a political speech (and PI would seem to agree, by virtue of the market being open). We can't actually begin leaving the agreement until 2019. It remains to be seen whether anything in writing or official is submitted anywhere, hence the pricing at 70. People are hoping for something to be released by the Federal Govt that codifies our exit, but it is unknown when or if it will come.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

trump could also change his mind next week

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

It is 100% clear that that line hasn't been satisfied; the UNFCCC treaty was never mentioned by Trump. Trump ejecting us from the UNFCCC would've been the super quick way of ejecting us from the Paris Agreement.

The Paris Agreement is subordinate to the UNFCCC, and PI makes that distinction between the two in the rules.

It's also fairly clear that Trump hasn't yet triggered the second part of the rules by merely making a political speech (and PI would seem to agree, by virtue of the market being open). We can't actually begin leaving the agreement until 2019. It remains to be seen whether anything in writing or official is submitted anywhere, hence the pricing at 70. People are hoping for something to be released by the Federal Govt that codifies our exit, but it is unknown when or if it will come.

I went through this all again and I think this is probably the same result I would reach, but lol @ relying on PI to come to that conclusion (and also lol @ whoever writes their rules, once again he managed to completely misinterpret the title of the market).

It certainly has the feel of a sucker's market.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I only just started this and I don't know what I am doing so take this with a grain of salt. I'm also a very hopefuly GA06 voter (though I dumped my Ossoff stock because I reminded myself to never get too excited about politics in GA)

GA06 RV % at 50% + for yes is only at 60cents. Early vote has already beaten round 1 which was about 37-43% and the election isn't until the 20th. The Ossoff campaign has been relentless with their GOTV and there's a backlog of mail in votes not yet counted.

Cohn on twitter has lots of nice charts that also make it look like the final tally will be shy of a regular election vote count but miles ahead of round 1. Probably going to be 55-60%. Well over 50 to meet this market.

caveat: no one seems to know what the exact number they have to hit is since they allowed new registrations for this round. That's spooking people.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone in the UK election markets at this point?

Only thing that seems "safe" to me is betting against 390+ Tory seats, currently at 90c. But if there's one thing that's clear about UK elections at this point its that the polling is not reliable so anything could happen.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Anyone in the UK election markets at this point?

Only thing that seems "safe" to me is betting against 390+ Tory seats, currently at 90c. But if there's one thing that's clear about UK elections at this point its that the polling is not reliable so anything could happen.

I'm trusting my gut that everything sucks (despite Le Pen) and the polls aren't catastrophically wrong and betting Corbyn loses, but that isn't nearly as safe a bet as the 390+ bet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

May No is also getting into reasonable lotto ticket territory now (<10c). If the Tories win but lose seats relative to their current position, or fail to win an outright majority, there's a strong chance she is ousted by her own party.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

bawfuls posted:

May No is also getting into reasonable lotto ticket territory now (<10c). If the Tories win but lose seats relative to their current position, or fail to win an outright majority, there's a strong chance she is ousted by her own party.

This is a good take. Personally though I think hope is a lie and have everything on May Yes.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This is a good take. Personally though I think hope is a lie and have everything on May Yes.
Corbin No is a better bet than May Yes b/c of the potential hung parliament scenario though. But either one at 90c is not much of a bargain right now.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Im getting ready to sell off all the mid ranges I bought for 2 cents. Holding my No on conservative 329 or less.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Vishass posted:

I only just started this and I don't know what I am doing so take this with a grain of salt. I'm also a very hopefuly GA06 voter (though I dumped my Ossoff stock because I reminded myself to never get too excited about politics in GA)

GA06 RV % at 50% + for yes is only at 60cents. Early vote has already beaten round 1 which was about 37-43% and the election isn't until the 20th. The Ossoff campaign has been relentless with their GOTV and there's a backlog of mail in votes not yet counted.

Cohn on twitter has lots of nice charts that also make it look like the final tally will be shy of a regular election vote count but miles ahead of round 1. Probably going to be 55-60%. Well over 50 to meet this market.

caveat: no one seems to know what the exact number they have to hit is since they allowed new registrations for this round. That's spooking people.

This. I agree.

A few days ago I got a boat load at 42 cents. Doing well so far.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Just made a few bucks on comey not saying "obstruction of Justice" during the hearing. It was still 50/50 as of this morning.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Waiting for the scotland referrendum market to jump after the conservative landslide. Get in now while it's cheap.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Merlot Brougham posted:

Waiting for the scotland referrendum market to jump after the conservative landslide. Get in now while it's cheap.

not sure if serious

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Exit polls suggesting a hung parliament, that May No gamble may pay off after all! :dance:

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Arkane posted:

not sure if serious

Not serious. Was serious about no 329, which isnt looking good but i was pot committed and bought a few more shares. Whats another 20 bucks if this thing goes sour?

Merlot Brougham has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Jun 8, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Merlot Brougham posted:

Im getting ready to sell off all the mid ranges I bought for 2 cents. Holding my No on conservative 329 or less.

RIP

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

This isnt france. Theres still hope based on exit polls

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

This isnt france. Theres still hope based on exit polls

RIP

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

looks like exit polls may be over-favoring labour, actual results looking equivocal so far. very little data, however.

hold on to ur butts if youve got money in this one

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

looks like exit polls may be over-favoring labour

That's what I'm seeing so far. And of course hoping for.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Where are you seeing those results? Only one's I've found thus far are two safe Labor seats being called as expected.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

bawfuls posted:

Where are you seeing those results? Only one's I've found thus far are two safe Labor seats being called as expected.

Labour was expected to win both seats but the poll was expecting them to have significantly better %. One of the two actually had a small swing to the conservatives which they said was the opposite of what the poll suggested.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Merlot Brougham posted:

That's what I'm seeing so far. And of course hoping for.

Those first 3 results or so were misleading, exit polls looking spot-on now.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Now those were good quality lotto tickets :smugdog:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thinking it may be time to cash out on May No. If the Tories are close enough that all they need is DUP then the leadership change might not happen by the 30th, tough to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It's up a huge amount, so cashing out now is certainly a safe reaping. 500% return ain't shabby.

That said, massive calls even from tories for her to step down. Even if they cling to their majority, she's probably toast.

• Locked thread