Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Played some, definitely feeling that extra grip but the FWD cars feel way more loose on the brakes in the default setup than they did before. I'm struggling most with the elevation changes, without the ability to memorise stages its really important to watch for where the road goes down or up as that seriously affects how you have to go into the corners. There's a corner in the first career rally for me that's fast but slopes downhill after the apex and judging the speed into that corner is beyond me right now. Surprised by the FFB with my wheel as well, probably the best FFB a Codemasters game has had out of the box.

Still crashing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The extra grip on in the rear definitely messing with me. Handling and FFB feel much improved.

Haven't used the Stratos yet to see how good this game really is.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cars are squirrelly under braking. Nothing that bumping some forward bias doesn't fix. Managing weight transfer is a very big deal, especially coming up on crests. That's my favorite revision to the game: the sense of weight to the cars.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Is it unlocked on steam already? Does the GMG version unlock through steam too? Looking at the Steam reviews and seeing lots of graphics complaints, how is it comparing to rally?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fingers McGee posted:

Is it unlocked on steam already? Does the GMG version unlock through steam too? Looking at the Steam reviews and seeing lots of graphics complaints, how is it comparing to rally?

The graphics are fine. It's the Dirt Rally engine. Maybe people are mixing up the lack of handcrafted tracks to the somewhat generic stage generator as a downgrade. I can see that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I had the graphics on high to start with and bumped them down to medium for performance and haven't noticed a huge difference. It looks a little better than Dirt Rally but not hugely so.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tracks seem way more forgiving at the edges. Definitely can make cuts you couldn't get away with it rally

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Anyone else noticed problems with the crowd setting ? I was getting really bad performance which was not improved by dumping the big culprits like MSAA, advanced blending and AO down. Turning crowd off fixed it... seems buggy.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I'm loving it. Getting some samey bits on some stages- especially the longer ones. But the core moment-to-moment racing is fantastic.

Also, all the career mode elements are fantastic. My girlfriend even wanted to redesign my team's look. I love the whole thing of the sponsors- providing a different kind of goal than simply "get a great time" is really fun.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The team building mechanics are the same as GRID I'm reading?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Of all the weeks for my parents to get sick (not seriously, but enough to need me home)... Please keep posting so I can live vicariously through your Dirt experiences until I get back to my PC and wheel.

Has anyone given arcade mode a try? I wouldn't mind having a gamepad-based alternative for those weeks when I'm traveling with a beefy laptop. I've got one of those HKM PS3 controllers, which is good enough for middling runs on the older Dirt games. It doesn't work for poo poo on DR, though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I can't find a way to shut off the onscreen pace notes.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Options, game preferences, OSD settings, set co driver calls to off.

Game owns so far!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Confirmed, people who are complaining of the game having too much grip have not driven the Group B cars. Those things are still fire breathing monsters who are looking for an excuse to kill you. I think the fact that the career starts you off in a slow FWD car is probably skewing some early impressions of the handling.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

cowboy elvis posted:

The graphics are fine. It's the Dirt Rally engine. Maybe people are mixing up the lack of handcrafted tracks to the somewhat generic stage generator as a downgrade. I can see that.

This is definitely part of it, a lot of the individual assets of Rally weren't exactly stunning but the game did a great job of hiding that with interesting environments, lighting, and weather. Dirt 4 drops you into a bunch of flat, samey Michigan stages in midday which doesn't give the strongest first impression. The lighting as a whole seems kind of odd and sterile so far actually, although I haven't played a ton yet and almost all races have been at midday so who knows. I am at least happy they didn't go back to the mainline Dirt staple of slathering everything with unnecessary post processing filters.

Handling feels good, I really like that the cars are 'heavier' and paying attention to weight transfer is a lot more important now. Tarmac physics feel completely different and I haven't been able to get the hang of them at all - the cars feel more grippy and responsive than I was expecting and I tend to oversteer, overcorrect, and veer off course a lot. Also, those big curbs are extremely unforgiving.

The stages as a whole are a less bastardly so far though, but I am still very early in the game so I'm hoping they'll get more spiteful and full of irrational vehicle hatred later on. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but I've certainly been underwhelmed with the stages I've raced after coming from Rally - probably the best thing about that game was how dangerous every stage felt with the narrow roads and close obstacles. Here it feels like you can get away with cutting and going off course a whole lot more before you're really punished for it in any way. Again, this very well may change after I've played for more than a few hours.

Overall it appears to be a Good and Fun Game™ though, and like someone above said the moment-to-moment gameplay is great. I've never driven an actual rally car (sorry, WRX, I still love you!) so I can't comment on how realistic it is or isn't, but the cars are fun, challenging, and satisfying to drive which is enough for me. The driving school seems really well done too, and I spent probably 30-45 minutes playing around and shaving seconds off of my times on the stupid beginner lessons. I didn't really notice, are those actually tracked anywhere? Is there any kind of leaderboard for them? That could be fun. I'm also looking forward to getting into the career a little more, I did buy a car and toss a team together but I haven't got to race with them yet.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Really looking forward to smashing out some stages after work today. I've got a logitech driving force GT wheel, do you think I should just keep the logitech software off and use the game's FFB settings then? It sounds promising at least.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Regarding the stages, I'd say the early career stuff tends to be very low complexity so it'll be 99% 6s and 4s with maybe a hairpin or 3 thrown in. The current Daily challenge though and some of the Pro Tour online stuff I've done though has been way more complex with regards to elevation change and corner variety. Pro Tour is really the thing I don't think enough people are talking about, it's effectively ranked online with 8 people all driving the same stage at the same time. Seeing the arrows on the progress bar moving alongside mine and seeing the telltale stall of someone who clearly crashed at a corner you just nailed is immensely satisfying and I really hope people continue to play that.

Also I recorded my Dirt Daily run today which is Group B through Wales in heavy mist and that's loving scary.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
My favorite little thing so far is that when you're in the free roam at dirtfish you can change your car's tuning on the fly while driving. I've already learned so much and I still have several tabs of stuff to experiment with. I also really like the Spain stages. To me the tarmac feels great and I've done better there with the 037 than I have in Michigan with any of the FWD cars they start you with. That could just be me though.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Doing the shakedown of today's daily filled me with fear. The first half of the stage I was terrified, yet as I kept going(at a severely diminished pace), I got faster and faster, and when the stage turned mostly into the Wales plains- I was suddenly charging through the fog, not being able to see a quarter second in front of me, feeling like I didn't even need a road.

Today's daily is lovely.

Edit: drat, I missed Tier 1 on today by half of a second. 6:28.392

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tier 2 and 3 being around 30 seconds apart is gonna be pretty rough on some people I think.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I like that you have the option to wash your car between stages, and that it makes your sponsors happy. It makes sense I suppose, but still makes me giggle to picture a representative from Ted Dickface's Discount Tools sitting in the staging area yelling "gently caress are you doing? Get that mud off our logo, shitfaces!" as the team tries desperately to patch a hole in the radiator and fabricate a new control arm with zipties and a tree trunk.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 feel very complementary to each other. DR is still going to get play time from me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hmm I guess it was just those starter fwd cars that seemed to be really rear grippy. The Stratos feels better. And whatever 4wd Subaru I bought last night breaks traction when i want it to.

It can't be stated how much better these cars are on tarmac than in dirt rally.

Game is loving good

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Doing a night race. Bright light on the track. Wtf?! Low flying drone i had to dodge!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Doing a night race. Bright light on the track. Wtf?! Low flying drone i had to dodge!

If there's a helicopter flying low it'll kick up a dust cloud. There was one in an Australian stage and I couldn't see the next set of corners because of it. Game has a lot of nasty little tricks like that it seems like the giant loving rocks that are just laying on the track in Spain's canyon sections. Then there's stuff like this insanely tight hairpin which is called as a 2 right immediate square right.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
drat this game is great. I'm one of those people who liked tarmac in DR, but this is much better. I wish they would implement the car dependent H-gate or sequential though. Feels silly driving an R5 with a stick and clutch when I forget to change settings.

That daily felt like a bit of a statement to show that they aren't going soft after DR. Managed to get into T1 with a 6.23.775 while driving like a grandma and spinning at least 5 times.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

If there's a helicopter flying low it'll kick up a dust cloud. There was one in an Australian stage and I couldn't see the next set of corners because of it. Game has a lot of nasty little tricks like that it seems like the giant loving rocks that are just laying on the track in Spain's canyon sections. Then there's stuff like this insanely tight hairpin which is called as a 2 right immediate square right.

Oh god that corner lol

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Still getting used to gravel stages so I dunno how I feel about their physics (initially quite down because of how different it is and not immediately for the better, time will tell there) but tarmac is undoubtedly night and day compared to DR. I despised Monte and never enjoyed Germany but my first Spanish rally was a pleasure.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Humbug posted:

I wish they would implement the car dependent H-gate or sequential though. Feels silly driving an R5 with a stick and clutch when I forget to change settings.

This is one big thing I'm hoping gets added post release. Also in case anyone doesn't know, the historic cars can only be bought in the classifieds section. The dealership only has the modern cars so that private collector perk might be more useful than you initially think if you're after the Stratos.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The owners club daily in the E30 is absolutely lovely. Fast and flowing. RWD feels great. The car should easily pay for itself if you do decent too. I need to unlock historic rallies now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wanted to get Dirt 4 after enjoying the Dirt Rally free trial from a few weeks back but after looking at some of the reviews and stuff I ended up just picking up Rally on the cheap to get my fix. I might get Dirt 4 someday but I really enjoyed the rally driving in DR and the simulation stuff like hiring people and upgrading facilities and all that just seems kinda meh to me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dirt Rally is a baller racing sim.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
My initial reaction was disappointment. Even with the difficulty cranked way high I placed first and second in my two first stages. The car felt super safe and way too easy to drive. I also miss the pacenotes from Dirt Rally.

The disappointment left me however, as soon as I bought a rear wheel drive car with a more powerful engine. Turns out I'm not that awesome at rally driving after all. In Wales, with the shadows from the trees obscuring the track... Yeah, I've got some learning to do. Can't wait to try that sucker on tarmac.

I haven't figured out if I'm able to compete with the older cars yet, or if I have to get a special license for that. The 70's Opel was my favorite in Rally. But that's a minor gripe.

I agree with the majority of this thread. This is a good game!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I haven't bought any of the classics yet. But I messed around with the Stratos in freeplay. Super fun.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So can we suggest names for the thread since it is going more general?

DIRT Megathread: The George of The Jungle of Racing Sims
DIRT Megathread: The Real Backseat Driving Simulator
DIRT Megathread: Don't. loving. CUT.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
It seems like you need to win 15 events to unlock career historic rallies.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I gotta say, I got a Subaru WRX and I hate it. It's heavy, squirrely, and not particularly fast. The one saving grace it feels like it has, is similar to driving the 60s Mini Cooper: When you're going down, it feels like you're falling down a mountain. Tactically.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I play with the WRX exclusively. I think it's a phenomenally easy car to drive. Behaves like a FWD vehicle with enough power to break the rear loose with throttle.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wtf is that spectator doing right in the path of the first guy who took the pace notes seriously? :magical:

DiRT: Cut the corner. See where it gets you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Dirt megathread: Be brave!

I didn't think to check the freeplay mode. Will muck about with it when I get back home.

• Locked thread