Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ophelia Juliembert
Voted Most Likely to Get Knocked Off the Stage
"I know! I should jump!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Algol Paradox
Still breaking everything.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unlucky7 posted:

Hi, I haven't played since clearing the Heavensward Main Scenario content. How much Post Heavensward patch MS content is there and is it conceivable to shotgun through it before Stormblood hits?

Also, will I be able to squeeze in the new Hildabrant stuff?

The post HW questlines has much less filler so yes, it's pretty easy to push through it. There's like, around 45 quests.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Penelope Mamzer
Voted :sparkles:Prettiest Pink Princess:sparkles:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
more of a "90s PC box beige" tbh

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Ulgrim Longshanks

Most likely to max out the height slider.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Pierson posted:

more of a "90s PC box beige" tbh

bad lighting + too lazy to go elsewhere

lazy princess

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Pierson posted:

Dragged myself away from exit polls just for FF14 pal: It's the shiny button top-middle.

I am the two unspent stat points.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lack of Highdudes resolved

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 9, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cedar Arceneaux

After school black magic boom gang

L
A
T
E
R
S

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 9, 2017

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Funny, I was just playing with /gpose today.

Kaoruko Gurenken
Primal Puncher Extraordinaire

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Whole lotta BLM up in here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Injuryprone posted:

Whole lotta BLM up in here.

blm is probably the most popular job in the game, with drg pretty close behind.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I may ask, what is the state of WAR these days?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Wait until the expansion. Any info you'd get currently could change in a week.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Fair enough. Still, not like I have a choice, it is my only max level job

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
WARs are really good now, and looking at the released info, there's no reason to think they're not going to be really good in Stormblood.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Artless Meat
{Same}

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Countblanc posted:

blm is probably the most popular job in the game, with drg pretty close behind.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I may ask, what is the state of WAR these days?

Hahaha I had narrowed my first ever class choice to BLM, WAR, or DRG.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Right now, I am a summoner; DoT DPS with Ifrit summoned.
My attacking primary skills are:
Ruin, Bio, Bio 2, Miasma
I also drop Shadow Flare when I can
For Ifrit, I have Enkindle, Spur, Rouse, & Sustain
I also have Aetherflow & Bane & Fester
For more damage, I can pop Raging Strikes, which does make the DoT's hurt more

I ALSO have Physick
I off-heal; I can keep myself healed, or help heal others to take some of the load from Healer
I can also rez people during a fight, which means the Healer don't have to stop healing.

I consider myself 'DPS with an Off-Heal'.

Now, I know I have to go Red Mage if I want to continue that..but is it that cut & dried?
I don't want to be THE Healer in a group. I am a backup healer. I want to be DPS first.
I had friends I used to WoW with who forced me into the Healer roll and would blame me when they pulled half a raid, so I LOATHE being a main Healer.

So can I keep being a 'DPS with Off-Heals'? or will RDM's be more healing-focused?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

WARs are really good now, and looking at the released info, there's no reason to think they're not going to be really good in Stormblood.

Yeah, looking at the released info War's are still going to be pretty good. Although PLD got tons of good stuff and DRK got some good stuff with a bundle of question marks thrown in?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

(A dire lack of swolelanders in here)

Galaga Galaxian
FFXI Survivor, 11 years clean.
"Lost Enoch again..."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pikavangelist posted:

Right now, I am a summoner; DoT DPS with Ifrit summoned.
I consider myself 'DPS with an Off-Heal'.

Now, I know I have to go Red Mage if I want to continue that..but is it that cut & dried?
I don't want to be THE Healer in a group. I am a backup healer. I want to be DPS first.
I had friends I used to WoW with who forced me into the Healer roll and would blame me when they pulled half a raid, so I LOATHE being a main Healer.

So can I keep being a 'DPS with Off-Heals'? or will RDM's be more healing-focused?

This game isn't really designed for backup healers or support roles, sorry friend. (well, there is support in group utility, but that's more about bonus damage or protection, not healing)

RDM has a heal and raise but it isn't ever supposed to do them in real groups. They're just there for flavor reasons. Maybe you could toss out a heal every once in awhile, but its a big waste if the healer himself is already spending more time casting damage spells than healing spells. You're more mana efficient as a damage. There's no point. I like that they have a heal and raise and outside of groups, running FATEs or whatever its a nifty thing to have. But in serious stuff? nah. Nobody should be healing that isn't a healer. Summoner, Bard, Redmage, they should all really focus on damage all the time.

TLDR: Nobody needs "dps with off-heals" in FFXIV. If anything, every heals is "heals with off-dps" and every dps is "dps dps dps". Sorry bud. If you really want to do that, you can as a RDM, but don't expect it to go over well in high level content.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 9, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

This game isn't really designed for backup healers or support roles, sorry friend. (well, there is support in group utility, but that's more about bonus damage or protection, not healing)

RDM has a heal and raise but it isn't ever supposed to do them in real groups. They're just there for flavor reasons. Maybe you could toss out a heal every once in awhile, but its a big waste if the healer himself is already spending more time casting damage spells than healing spells. You're more mana efficient as a damage. There's no point. I like that they have a heal and raise and outside of groups, running FATEs or whatever its a nifty thing to have. But in serious stuff? nah. Nobody should be healing that isn't a healer. Summoner, Bard, Redmage, they should all really focus on damage all the time.

TLDR: Nobody needs "dps with off-heals" in FFXIV. If anything, every heals is "heals with off-dps" and every dps is "dps dps dps". Sorry bud. If you really want to do that, you can as a RDM, but don't expect it to go over well in high level content.

Their gimmick is unmarked quotes from the official forums

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

His gimmick is unmarked quotes from the official forums

Ah dangit, shoulda gone with "source your quotes"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Grant Farglen

Voted Best Boy (Class of Heavensward, 2015-2017)

"I'm good and nice"

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Ragged Muffin
"No for real, when are jump potions?"

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Avelyn SteamFractureBurgergoon

"Raid dad, please don't use this photo as my yearbook photo."

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Starlight Paissa
cursed image
"..."

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jinh Charizard
Voted most likely to hug bears

(posted way earlier in the thread, but I recently resubbed and won a big glamour contest with this last week too!)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is there any way to make sequence macros for weapon skills?
IE - Heavy Swing -> Skull Sunder on one button?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Sort of yes, but don't. Actions on your bar have a half-second buffer where you can press them even though the GCD isn't up and still have them go off at the first possible moment, macros do not.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Firstborn posted:

When can I do POTD? When should I do it? Is it a good idea for a first character? I just finished up the dungeon with Squidface.

I just want to reiterate that it feels like I'm playing a multiplayer FFXII and I'm lovin' it.

Other dumb questions:
- I tried to sell a thing and it said I was spiritbound and I shouldn't. Where do you turn it into materia?
- Do dungeons drop stuff appropriate for the classes participating? I found a sweet lance with pink text.
- What are the restrictions of the glamour system? Do I need to carry around the item I want to glamour? When I update my equipment, will the transmog break, or stay in my cool look?
- Is there a setting to press the "auto-equip best stuff you have for this job" somewhere for when you switch weapons? Minor annoyance having to press it every time I feel like switching.

To expand further: you can unlock Palace of the Dead once you get a class to level 17, and you've completed at least the Main Story Quest "Into a Copper Hell" that sends you to Copperbell Mine. Once you do that, do the quest The House That Death Built in New Gridania's inn. That will unlock the dungeon, and once you've done that you can go in there with any class at any level. When you should do it is whenever you need a chunk of experience to break past a level or you're bored or whatever. For your first character, well, you only need the one. But I would advise not leaning on it too heavily because things work very differently in POTD, and you could pick up some really lovely habits in there.

For the Spiritbond thing, just progress the main plot and you will learn to turn stuff at 100% Spiritbond into materia. Note that not everything can become materia, but the exceptions are pretty few and far between, I think. You can hold on to the item until you can convert it, but if you need the space, go ahead and dump it, because you'll probably just get a rank 1 materia out of it, which isn't that great.

I don't know if the changes to "bosses will drop stuff someone can use" thing is going to be applied to all dungeons or just the ones in Heavensward. We'll see in a week, I guess, but right now it's a complete crapshoot.

The thing about the glamour system that hasn't been brought up yet but is kind of important is that you need to be level 50 to unlock it. Note, however, that any level 50 will do. This won't matter for most people, but I unlocked it when my only 50s were a carpenter and fisher. The stuff about "you don't need the item you got the appearance from but you should probably hold on to it" was already covered.

If there's a way to automatically press the "equip my Best poo poo" button, I don't know it (and given some of the suggestions I've seen it make, I wouldn't want it anyway), but you can save gear sets so you equip the full suit when you change over to it, instead of just "equip weapon, clothes fall off, gotta re-equip."

Firstborn posted:

Yes, you can do it, but you shouldn't. I will tell you how anyway.

/ac "Heavy Swing" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Skull Sunder" <t> <wait.3>
/ac "Butcher's Block" <t>

That will try to use Heavy Swing on your current target, wait three seconds, try to Skull Sunder your target, wait three seconds, and then Butcher's Block your target. The reason this is bad is because the global cooldown is two and a half seconds. So if you fire this macro, you're wasting a half second every global cooldown, and that poo poo can really add up. It's fine if you're solo and farming stuff for materials that's weak enough to not pose a challenge but strong enough that you can't just backhand it and it dies, but for actual content you'll want to do this poo poo manually.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Little Blaster
Voted most self centered on adamantoise server

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't suppose <wait 2.5> would work? It's fine if it doesn't, it just seems the game has a lot of abilities. I'm just trying to muscle this Marauder to 15 and never play it again for job requirements.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Firstborn posted:

Combat macros are doable, but any sort of combat sequence macro like this will add up to a pretty severe damage loss, due to the timing allowed on macros, the lower GCD, and the input queuing.

Edit: Nope, whole numbers only.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Firstborn posted:

I don't suppose <wait 2.5> would work? It's fine if it doesn't, it just seems the game has a lot of abilities. I'm just trying to muscle this Marauder to 15 and never play it again for job requirements.

Short Answer: No

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

The abilities that combo get the marching ants, so its really not that hard to remember that you push 1 then 2 then 3. Put those abilities in a line and then just push whichever has marching ants. If none has marching ants, press 1.

Like someone said a second ago, you're allowed to queue inputs too. You can push 1 and then after a second you can push 2 before you're actually allowed to use that move, and it'll 2 as soon as you're able.

You can't queue more than 1 input at a time though. But honestly low level FFXIV is pretty boring already, how simple are you trying to make it? :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SKULL CYCLONE
Voted most likely to kill her own static

"Stop running from me! STOP RUNNING FROM ME! WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER IF YOU JUST STOP RUNNING FROM ME"

• Locked thread