Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

UFC just needs to start marketing to internet savvy millenials, like when Dana said he doesn't read the internet because he has twitter on his phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

Also tying Lewis and DJ together: that is why people think they could beat up lighter weight champions. There are all kinds of regular burly gentleman walking around that could have a good shot of beating up the best p4p fighter alive.

horse poo poo. frank walks around at 155 and regularly beat the poo poo out of guys who weighed 175/180 lbs shredded who also happened to be among the best fighters in the world.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I walk around at like 210 and once spent a minute unable to get out from under the side control of a (very low level) female pro strawweight. Mighty Mouse would easily handle me in a grappling match and beat me even easier if striking came into play, and I'm willing to bet I'm more fit/capable to fight than 90% of the population.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I walk around at like 210 and once spent a minute unable to get out from under the side control of a (very low level) female pro strawweight. Mighty Mouse would easily handle me in a grappling match and beat me even easier if striking came into play, and I'm willing to bet I'm more fit/capable to fight than 90% of the population.

lol

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

horse poo poo. frank walks around at 155 and regularly beat the poo poo out of guys who weighed 175/180 lbs shredded who also happened to be among the best fighters in the world.

Frankie beat a bunch of guys who ended up at 145 and lost twice to a guy whose main skill was big thighs

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
that Ruan Potts thing from earlier: https://streamable.com/jkjqa

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

That rules.

This now has my wondering if I could escape from beneath an 80 pound non-elite pro woman and I'm going to go against the grain here and say I probably could

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

david carmichael posted:

That rules.

This now has my wondering if I could escape from beneath an 80 pound non-elite pro woman and I'm going to go against the grain here and say I probably could

i escaped eventually. but it was an embarrassing minute before i did.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

david carmichael posted:

That rules.

lol at you imagining yourself under an 80 pound woman

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LobsterMobster posted:

that Ruan Potts thing from earlier: https://streamable.com/jkjqa

that loving referee

I mean, I'm not going to call him Steve Perceval bad

but that's pretty bad

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

Frankie beat a bunch of guys who ended up at 145 and lost twice to a guy whose main skill was big thighs

and are also among the most skilled mixed martial artists in the world

you're not going to get an argument from me about size and strength mattering, but random joe who weighs 240 would get hammered by mighty mouse, it wouldnt be close, and no he wouldn't really have a chance. the fact that a lot of people think they would have a shot at beating the 5'3 best fighter in the world because they weigh more is really funny and seems at odds with my experience in combat sports between people who know what they're doing an people who don't, and then going to the extreme ends of both scales.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hell, I myself was easily beat by an 80 pound girl, also I weigh 210 pounds and probably am not 6'3" or taller. This means that mighty mouse is actually good.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hell, I myself was easily beat by an 80 pound girl, also I weigh 210 pounds and probably am not 6'3" or taller. This means that mighty mouse is actually good.

I am over 6'3" and mighty mouse is actually good

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Ah, the clock which strikes 13 may never be trusted, unfortunately. You're 5'7".

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

and are also among the most skilled mixed martial artists in the world

you're not going to get an argument from me about size and strength mattering, but random joe who weighs 240 would get hammered by mighty mouse, it wouldnt be close, and no he wouldn't really have a chance. the fact that a lot of people think they would have a shot at beating the 5'3 best fighter in the world because they weigh more is really funny and seems at odds with my experience in combat sports between people who know what they're doing an people who don't, and then going to the extreme ends of both scales.

Demian Maia, arguably the greatest MMA grappler of all time and has a claim to top 10 bjj practitioners of all time, couldn't beat Mark Munoz who was approx the same size because mark was too strong to get dragged to the ground. And we can all agree that Mark Munoz had basically no training

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I wonder how much the HBO specials leading up to a fight how do to raise the sales per event. I'm sure they help in the long term to raise profile.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lid posted:

DC is cool

“UFC, if you want Demetrious Johnson to fight T.J. Dillashaw, give him the money,” Cormier said Wednesday. “Pay him a million dollars and say ‘that’s your fight.’ I know it’s a lot for a 125-pounder, but the guy’s the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Pay him the money, and then let him go fight. ... Pay him as the No. 1 fighter in the world for once.”

“I think the responsibility for everything can be shared between Demetrious and the UFC,” Cormier said. “The UFC really doesn’t understand how to market him, because they have to get creative. He’s smaller. He’s not the biggest guy. He’s dominant. Even when Anderson Silva was the guy running through his division, his points weren’t very high, so they have to get creative. I don’t know if they’ve gotten creative. But I do believe DJ has done his part.”

Cormier also believes the UFC needs to work on devising new ways to market African-American stars, while acknowledging that Johnson, who has a big following in the gaming community, often defies categorization.

“Honestly as an African-American, you have to market people differently,” Cormier said. “There is a different demographic and I don’t know if DJ really fits neatly into any certain one. Because just his family and everything, everything combined, you gotta get tricky marketing these small guys, especially an African-American guy. So the UFC doesn’t really know how to do that yet with him.

“But, you have to have ‘it,’ Cormier continued. “Ronda Rousey happened organically. It just has to connect. It hasn’t connected for DJ, UFC has to take responsibility because they don’t know how to market him properly yet.”

DC is such a smart dude. If the UFC ever lets him drift away or retire into anything that isn't a tv/pr/behind the scenes role then they're even more stupid than they seem.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

david carmichael posted:

Demian Maia, arguably the greatest MMA grappler of all time and has a claim to top 10 bjj practitioners of all time, couldn't beat Mark Munoz who was approx the same size because mark was too strong to get dragged to the ground. And we can all agree that Mark Munoz had basically no training

i have actually grappled with mark munoz and was unable to beat him, thereby making me as good as demian maia

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
dC is fighting with jones on twitter

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

Ah, the clock which strikes 13 may never be trusted, unfortunately. You're 5'7".

lol

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Bundt Cake posted:

dC is fighting with jones on twitter

the only place he ever will

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
He has done it twice elsewhere already.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Why did condit retire again? That guy was boss.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Nierbo posted:

Why did condit retire again? That guy was boss.

because he got woozy from a single demian maia flailing slap and he realized his brain was done

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip My Posts posted:

where does he say that?

If you have fightpass pull up the fight. It cuts to his corner right after the end of round one and his corner has to convince him to answer the bell.

Edit: lobstermobster posted it a few posts ago.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 9, 2017

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gay Horney posted:

I've never seen anyone come back to the stool and say "I'm hosed I can't take him" like Potts did, has anything like that ever happened?

Isn't that happening why Miesha Tate said she retired?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Looten Plunder posted:

This "tiny punchmen don't sell fights" thing is kind of weird to me. Isn't Mayweather the biggest seller of all time? It's my understanding the guy is 15 pounds heavier than DJ. 15 Pounds is nothing.

Conor is the biggest draw the UFC has ever had, surely 20 pounds doesn't change the public perception that much.

It's not about weight, or else like you said, Mayweather and Pac wouldn't be so insanely popular. Neither would Ronda. She's a girl right? All the JUST BLEED people probably think they can beat her in one punch but she' got insanely popular

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Gay Horney posted:

I've never seen anyone come back to the stool and say "I'm hosed I can't take him" like Potts did, has anything like that ever happened?

Chris Leben quit against Uriah Hall on the stool, but he received a punch to the face that broke his soul.

There's also been a couple of guys that quit between rounds on TUF just from being too tired.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What's Mr.Leben doing these days? A true legend of the sport

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Zzulu posted:

right now, at this very moment in time? probably drugs

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I, too, touch small women

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dc is a moron for saying the blame should be shared by ufc and mm, because he then goes on to say mm done everything right!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I will always be interested in Chris Leben and Phil Baroni life-updates

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Zzulu posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisLebenMMA/status/782495060189257728

https://twitter.com/ChrisLebenMMA/status/872322183875395585

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lol, I read the realty watermark as Just Bleed Media.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:laffo: at him paying someone to make that piece of poo poo

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Our boy Conor has cracked the top 25 highest paid athletes list:

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/conor-mcgregor-breaks-into-top-25-on-forbes-highest-paid-athletes-list-060717

quote:

Following his debut in the top 100 list, McGregor vowed to one day sit at the top where he would be competing with soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo, who earned a reported $93 million last year.

Lol, nope.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Leben was too retarded to keep being a professional fighter so he became a real estate agent

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The Crippler Properties LLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Hello the crippler realty inc.? I need to purchase a home from a drunk man with pink hair, please.

• Locked thread