Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone have a link to that tweet with the example of "hope" being used to prove intent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

And how long has this starve the beast plan been going/how well is it working?

Since Reagan/Thatcher/Mulroney and its working well based on the death by 1000 cuts model. The Liberals/Cons in Canada have been doing the same thing with similar results.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 9, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If labour gets a majority coalition together it's pretty much a given they will go "lol bresit isn't happening anymore gently caress off" right?

That alone would probably piss off trump and the GOP because it's make Putin sad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If labour gets a majority coalition together it's pretty much a given they will go "lol bresit isn't happening anymore gently caress off" right?

From what I've heard no. It's basically an inevitability at this point because even if they tried to backtrack the EU won't even let them.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Google Butt posted:

Anyone have a link to that tweet with the example of "hope" being used to prove intent?

Well there's everything the mafia ever did

"Nice democracy here, hope nothing happens to it..."

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

From what I've heard no. It's basically an inevitability at this point because even if they tried to backtrack the EU won't even let them.

If they absolutely are forced to I'm sure the EU wouldn't mind fast-tracking their renegotiation to rejoin the EU soon after.

But that's me being hopeful.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm so drunk I can barely read. What happened with COMEYZ's testimony today? Anything new?

Pretend I added some clever joke like HEY I'VE BEEN LIVING ON URANUS FOR THE PAST 89 YEARS AND JOINED SOMETHING AWFUL AND THERE'S A THOUSAND MILLION NEW POSTS WHAT'S GOING ON IN US POLITICS

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 9, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm so drunk I can barely read. What happened with COMEYZ's testimony today? Anything new?

He confirmed Area 51 was real and had aliens.

One escaped and died at the end of the broadcast. Its name was John McCain.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"Can you tell us the Russian-Trump dossier is true?"

"I can't discuss that here"

So how is this not an admission of "Possibly maybe some of it is true *wink*" instead of just outright saying "No, it's not"?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ularg posted:

So how is this not an admission of "Possibly maybe some of it is true *wink*" instead of just outright saying "No, it's not"?

As Comey told the president, it is very hard to prove a negative. Even if Comey has proof, he didn't want to say no and then be unable to explain why he said no. Or yes, for that matter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ularg posted:

Everyone sitting behind the pine already knows if it's true. His saying anything about it actually *lessens* its worth, and he knows that.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Arglebargle III posted:

He brought out the piss tape and everyone watched it live on national TV and they didn't even censor anything and the Russian hookers had the biggest most 70s bushes youd ever seen

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's funny watching American news pundits get super passive-aggressive that twitter stopped paying attention to them and moved on to Corbyn & UK.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arglebargle III posted:

Pretend I added some clever joke like HEY I'VE BEEN LIVING ON URANUS FOR THE PAST 89 YEARS AND JOINED SOMETHING AWFUL AND THERE'S A THOUSAND MILLION NEW POSTS WHAT'S GOING ON IN US POLITICS

barely read this website

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:rip: the U.K. Hope Scotland goes independent and joins the EU.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nonsense posted:

It's funny watching American news pundits get super passive-aggressive that twitter stopped paying attention to them and moved on to Corbyn & UK.

Watching American newscasters (and reporters) trying to make heads or tails out of British politics is like watching a cat trying to do math. VICE News has actually done a decent job of it in short stints simply because they've got a fair amount of British nationals on staff.

Even when they pan to their London offices whoever drew the short straw there always seems to look like a deer in the headlights trying to explain to American voters how a party can win a majority yet still lose. You'd think we'd understand that here now. :colbert:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/873001187301355521

Our loving president.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/873004275332509698
https://twitter.com/jackiecarbajal/status/872959853743886336
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/873001887909400576

Does... does he not get how special counsels work?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If multiple presidents are impeached at once like that whoever becomes president will have virtually no personal power to do anything.

Yeah, but it's Orrin Hatch. I don't want him to get anything he wants, gently caress him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Party Plane Jones posted:

No, not at all.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but it's Orrin Hatch. I don't want him to get anything he wants, gently caress him.

It'll be Rex Tillerson who somehow, someway remained clean.

He'll then commit suicide by hanging himself in the oval.

Side question: if the line of succession breaks down like this with resign/impeach after whatever do they each get a number? Will the next legit president be like 54 instead of 46?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

And America...will have been made great again.:patriot:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"He then stripped out of his suit, revealing a gold track suit underneath to the surprise of none, and off-camera began to brag that he can run a three minute mile. Fox News can confirm he *said* such a thing, and we didn't bother to check if it was true or not."

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/joeltyler_/status/872998076767756288

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That alone would probably piss off trump and the GOP because it's make Putin sad.
Sort of. We're locked into Brexit at this point for multiple reasons, but Corbyn is aiming for the sort of Brexit that leaves us as close to where we were before as possible (e.g. retaining freedom of movement and single market membership), while May is aiming for the sort of Brexit that burns every possible bridge with the EU.

PhazonLink posted:

And how long has this starve the beast plan been going/how well is it working?
It's been depressing enough that I haven't been following it closely, but quite well to all appearances - we're having severe staff shortages which will get far worse post-Brexit (most of our nurses are immigrants), and we recently came pretty close to the first doctors' strike we've ever had.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mustached Demon posted:

As awesome as this may be, assuming any removals of that level happen, it's going to stop at the Speaker. And the real question would be whether it happens before or after the next Congress is convened and whether the Dems retake the House.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

As President Comey told the predisent, it is very hard to prove a negative. Even if Comey has proof, he didn't want to say no and then be unable to explain why he said no. Or yes, for that matter.

FTFY

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Whew, thank god that's over. That was pretty hosed up, right guys? Well, back to work everyone!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/873001887909400576

That, or he's just following the current GOP talking point, which is "haha oh good now that comey has totally vindicated trump, all this stuff with Russia is completely done, nothing to see here folks, MAGA along" followed by suspiciously jaunty whistling and looking shiftily into dark corners. They're all doing it.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Side question: if the line of succession breaks down like this with resign/impeach after whatever do they each get a number? Will the next legit president be like 54 instead of 46?

Pretty sure as soon as someone is sworn in, they're officially part of the lineage. So if Pence got caught up in the proceedings and was removed from line of succession before swearing in, he wouldn't be counted. But if he were sworn in then impeached later that day, he would still count.

Gotta be for real president, though, and not acting president.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/872904279027265538

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

the pee tapes are real

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The music is perfect

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i'm reading lou dobbs' twitter

lasers need to come out of your tv screen when you turn to fox, searing your flesh over time as you continue to watch, eventually triggering some sort of pavlovian response to not view this loving insane propaganda

or mercifully kill the viewer

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The EU would gladly cancel the whole thing. Brexit will still happen because it is still what the majority of voters want. Labour has promised to go through with it and the election wasn't fought on Brexit at all really.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

This... doesn't sound right? Does the legal definition of "corrupt" really require knowledge that one's actions are breaking the law? So we wrote anti-corruption laws with a literal "I didn't know it was against the law" defense?

Clearing the room beforehand would seem to indicate that he knew what he was doing was wrong.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 9, 2017

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

UK election is taking a weird turn.

https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/873009295624994816

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

"All right, we'll call it a draw"

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
A little B. Kliban in the right place at the right time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I know nothing about how leaks work, but I'm very curious of the "private citizen" defense. Isn't that still, you know, leaking government secrets? Would that lead to a lot of people being able to talk about what they did while they worked in the government after they quit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

the piss tape was real.

• Locked thread