Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's good low sodium soy sauce, try that. Or just various brands, they're all different mixes. I have also found Kikkoman to be saltier than average in my experience, if that's the one you're using.

If you can't find one with a saltiness level you like, dilute with some dashi. Hard to go wrong with adding some dashi to a Japanese food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Use less soy sauce. Also, some styles and brands of soy sauce use less salt than others. Low sodium and dark soy sauce may be placed to start. Last, if you're using a real old bottle, it might have experienced some evaporation over time. The seals aren't always very good. That would concentrate the saltiness.

I'm just using normal Kikkoman soy sauce. The bottle is two months old tops.

The recipe was

6 table spoons soy sauce
2 table spoons mirin
2 table spoons sake
1 inch grated ginger

I added the red pepper flakes on my own.

Also, does anyone have a preferred Mapo Tofu recipe? I think I want to make that soon.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I think Kikkoman is saltier too, Grand Fromage. Yamasa seems a lot less salty.

But yeah six tablespoons seems like rather a lot. Scaling back and maybe substituting some dashi as GF suggested would help.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm just using normal Kikkoman soy sauce. The bottle is two months old tops.

The recipe was

6 table spoons soy sauce
2 table spoons mirin
2 table spoons sake
1 inch grated ginger

I added the red pepper flakes on my own.

Also, does anyone have a preferred Mapo Tofu recipe? I think I want to make that soon.

Yeah, the soy ratio should be 2 to 1. So drop that to 4 tbsp and you'll be in business.

Gravity's guide is the place to start for mapo:
http://goonswithspoons.com/Ma_Po_Tofu,_Gravity%27s_Guide

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I think Kikkoman is saltier too, Grand Fromage. Yamasa seems a lot less salty.

But yeah six tablespoons seems like rather a lot. Scaling back and maybe substituting some dashi as GF suggested would help.

Yamasa in the litre bottle is what I use. Good stuff.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
unless I'm adding soy sauce to a soup or sauce or something, I rarely ever use more than a tablespoon or two in a dish. even if I want more salt, I think soy sauce is generally overpowering. If something called for 6 tablespoons of salty liquid, I'd probably use only 1-2 of soy, 1-2 of fish sauce, 1 of oyster sauce, and more salt/ if I needed, or bullion cubes or something. that's just my taste though. if the flavor is just supposed to be strictly soy, you can always just thin it out with water... aka 'use less'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

Yeah I dunno what the Japanese version of mapo tofu is like but this recipe is a good generic Chengdu mapo tofu. Every restaurant makes it differently so there's no one true recipe.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I made biscuits this morning and warmed up the leftover porkchops to put on them. It was amazing. Coming up with ideas to use leftovers is one of the best parts of cooking.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
To you and mindphlux both I would say: wrong thread.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

There's good low sodium soy sauce, try that. Or just various brands, they're all different mixes. I have also found Kikkoman to be saltier than average in my experience, if that's the one you're using.

If you can't find one with a saltiness level you like, dilute with some dashi. Hard to go wrong with adding some dashi to a Japanese food.

Is there a recommended dashi powder? Every now and then I have a use for dashi, but I don't keep bonito and kombu around.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Has anyone tried using one of those microwave rice cookers for making Japanese rice with? Could you just use the times recommended in the instructions for white rice, or would that need adjusting?

I imagine that whenever they use "white rice", they most likely mean long grain or basmati rice.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

I can't see the GWS site from work but read this blog about how to find good doubanjiang: http://themalaproject.com/pixian-chili-bean-paste-douban-jiang/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there a recommended dashi powder? Every now and then I have a use for dashi, but I don't keep bonito and kombu around.

I use Ajimoto, it's perfectly fine.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ajinomoto dashi powder is the standard. I know GWS gets a little intense sometimes but there's very little reason to make your own dashi on a regular basis, in my opinion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It just depends what I'm doing. If I'm making a soup or something where the dashi is the main flavor, I make it from scratch. You don't get the smokiness of the katsuobushi from any powder I've tried and I miss it. If it's dashi as a supporting ingredient in a sauce or curry or something I use powder.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Specifically Ajinomoto's hondashi powder is good. Look for the dark glass jar for easy storage.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hallo spacedog posted:

Ajinomoto dashi powder is the standard. I know GWS gets a little intense sometimes but there's very little reason to make your own dashi on a regular basis, in my opinion.

I promise I'm not sperging out or anything, but I pretty regularly make dashi, and aside from being incredibly easy, it's actually really useful (to me at least).

A. the flavor is 999 better than powder using good kombu and bontio (or whatever fish you choose to use) - and B. just having it on hand makes me think of ways to use it. I used it as a base for a shrimp pasta sauce with last week, and a few weeks ago found some ending up in a shellfish chowder.

anyways, once every several weeks I'll cook something Japanese, and really enjoy having dashi on hand to work with for the next week or so.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It makes sense for those purposes, just thinking of other threads in GWS, and if it comes down to a lot of people who maybe read these threads but don't post feeling intimidated about even trying to make some basic Japanese recipes for the first time because they don't have konbu and bonito, or can't get hon mirin, I'd rather encourage them to try by letting them know that it's not a huge difference and a large portion of Japanese home cooking uses dashi powder and aji mirin.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hallo spacedog posted:

It makes sense for those purposes, just thinking of other threads in GWS, and if it comes down to a lot of people who maybe read these threads but don't post feeling intimidated about even trying to make some basic Japanese recipes for the first time because they don't have konbu and bonito, or can't get hon mirin, I'd rather encourage them to try by letting them know that it's not a huge difference and a large portion of Japanese home cooking uses dashi powder and aji mirin.

Totally agree with this.

I think when you first start to cook an unfamiliar cuisine, especially one like Japanese that can be very ingredient-specific, most people err on the side of being too cautious. "Oh, I can't use La Choy soy sauce because it's Chinese." "I can't find mirin!" "I don't know where to buy Kewpie mayonnaise, so there's no point in even trying to make okonomiyaki." Why not experiment with what you have, or what you can get, and worry about the specifics once you've made the thing? You might save a little time and money. And remember, even Japanese people who cook don't do everything from scratch. Using curry blocks is no worse than opening a jar of pasta sauce.

The above not inspired by anyone in this thread in particular, just something spacedog's post sparked in my brain.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hallo spacedog posted:

Or even no mirin at all.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that's all really true

please noone read my post and decide not to cook japanese food at all. hondashi is completely alright.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Has anybody been lazy and done oyakodon minus the chicken?
Basically I just want a good egg and rice dish beyond plain eggs and rice.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

sounds like omurice would fit the bill

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Or just fried rice.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Egg sauce on fresh rice is good. Especially with an extra yolk.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I dunno if its a real Japanese dish or not but I like to take good japanese crab-sticks and cut them up and simmer them in mirin and dashi then put an egg into the pot and poach it like they do with katsudon, then dump the whole thing over a bowl of rice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sounds like a weird chawanmushi.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Just a poached egg on rice with a little mirin, soy, and sesame oil? I'm down. Throw some chopped spinach and togarashi and you're in clover.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like a weird chawanmushi.

I wanted a katsudon tasting thing one day and didnt want to make katsu, but i had some nice japanese crab sticks and used them instead, it really is pretty good.

I usually make it with mirin and bottled concentrated soup/noodle dip base stuff now that I think about it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Also before I actually go look it up does anyone have a good recipe for the japanese rolled pork belly thing that goes on ramen, made with sous vide?

I got a bunch of pork belly to make different stuff out of and i figured i'd give that a try. Is it just pork belly braised in dashi/mirin/soy traditionally?

For that matter any good Japanese sous vide recipes? I have been trying to think of Japanese foods that would be amenable to sous vide cooking and drawing a blank. I suppose pasteurizing raw eggs and then putting them on rice but I don't like japanese stuff with the phlegm texture.

E: I bet sous vide would make fantastic chawan mushi!

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 15, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hakimashou posted:

Also before I actually go look it up does anyone have a good recipe for the japanese rolled pork belly thing that goes on ramen, made with sous vide?

I got a bunch of pork belly to make different stuff out of and i figured i'd give that a try. Is it just pork belly braised in dashi/mirin/soy traditionally?

For that matter any good Japanese sous vide recipes? I have been trying to think of Japanese foods that would be amenable to sous vide cooking and drawing a blank. I suppose pasteurizing raw eggs and then putting them on rice but I don't like japanese stuff with the phlegm texture.

E: I bet sous vide would make fantastic chawan mushi!

Sous vide nikujaga?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Sous vide nikujaga?

That looks good.

What are those little braised vegetable accompaniments called again, stuff like lotus root and carrot and squash that you get. Sous viding those to perfection would probably be great too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Nimono? Any of the simmered dishes would probably take on a nice texture, but I guess you might need to adjust the sauces or reduce them anyway to make up for the lack of evaporation.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Kakuni (豚の角煮)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I dunno about sous vide but I've made this chashu (the pork belly on ramen) and it's quite easy and delicious. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/chashu-pork-marinated-braised-pork-belly-for-tonkotsu-ramen-recipe.html

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. Any kind of vegetable (or meat, bacon, etc.) fried with beaten egg and seasoned with soy sauce or whatever you like is just called tamago toji. It's great for using up leftovers, too.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

LyonsLions posted:

Yes. Any kind of vegetable (or meat, bacon, etc.) fried with beaten egg and seasoned with soy sauce or whatever you like is just called tamago toji. It's great for using up leftovers, too.

All the suggestions are good, but this is exactly what I was looking for! Finding a whole lot of good potential recipes, thank you!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I've recently discovered the awesome that is fermented soybeans, and was hoping I could get more information on what to do with them! Currently I've just mixed them into a sauce and sauteed shrimp in them, which I loving loved. The fermented soybean adds a complexity that had been missing from my quick-stirfry-with-random-poo poo recipe, so I'm hoping people can point me in the right direction to using this amazing ingredient more.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What kind of fermented soybean? Natto? Douchi? Various pastes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've been using the paste.