Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Yesterday I saw an ice planet with volcanic rifts or something like that and sure enough there were long, thin cracks of lava on the surface and it looked p. dope on the night side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

Yesterday I saw an ice planet with volcanic rifts or something like that and sure enough there were long, thin cracks of lava on the surface and it looked p. dope on the night side.

That might have been the Vodyani home planet, which always looks exactly like that.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Kalko posted:

Well, this guy was parked here for a while...

What are your favourite custom ships? After grabbing all the early curiosities I like to upgrade my probe ship with a combat module and I make another explorer class ship with probes for later use. I use a fleet of combat explorer ships as my army as long as possible, which actually isn't very long because they seem to get their poo poo pushed in against the first small attack craft.

I also build custom siege ships with the small protector class by stacking it with those Titanium Slugs modules. You only need a couple to make short work of any defending army before sending in the ground forces.

Also here's a tip that helped me when I was new last week : after you colonize a planet you can still use probe ships to explore the curiosities (you don't have to put them in the build queue) you just have to zoom out one level from the system screen.

A good custom ship idea is a support ship with that "adds +1 movement to the fleet" module in it. Some support chassis can have 2 or 3 of them and if you just add one of those ships to each fleet all your poo poo will move around much faster.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dense & Dust Atmospheres both show up as sort of fog effect on the planet surface.

As does the one with multiple wormholes on a planets surface as these sort of colorful red-blue tumors.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kalko posted:

Well, this guy was parked here for a while...

What are your favourite custom ships? After grabbing all the early curiosities I like to upgrade my probe ship with a combat module and I make another explorer class ship with probes for later use. I use a fleet of combat explorer ships as my army as long as possible, which actually isn't very long because they seem to get their poo poo pushed in against the first small attack craft.

I also build custom siege ships with the small protector class by stacking it with those Titanium Slugs modules. You only need a couple to make short work of any defending army before sending in the ground forces.

Also here's a tip that helped me when I was new last week : after you colonize a planet you can still use probe ships to explore the curiosities (you don't have to put them in the build queue) you just have to zoom out one level from the system screen.

Curiousities can net some good poo poo so i usually end up making 3x explorer ship fleets w/ titanium probes for maximum explorage. Like no poo poo early on you can get a triple-laser white module that does 80/100/100% damage at base of 21 damage, and it's better than even 2nd tier research lasers

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Do AI factions ever change up their projectile/laser mix? Making ships customized against that particular faction is pretty OP (whereas if you do it the wrong way, you'll get your destroyed).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

totalnewbie posted:

Do AI factions ever change up their projectile/laser mix? Making ships customized against that particular faction is pretty OP (whereas if you do it the wrong way, you'll get your destroyed).

Yes, if they see a glaring weaknesses in your offenses or defenses they switch all their designs to make use of that. It might take a while for you to see the effects of it though, since they don't refit their older ships. It's most noticeable if you fight them until a truce, and then fight them again years later.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
AI doesn't seem very good at that in practice in my experience, although TBF I haven't played more than like one and a half games. I fought a real long war against an enemy that used all missiles so I went heavy into armor and guns (helped that I found a sweet gun tech in an anomaly) and they never ever switched up their weapons. Wasn't a matter of refitting either because they had some crazy production going on so they were constantly sending new fleets against me to be mulched.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Gobblecoque posted:

AI doesn't seem very good at that in practice in my experience, although TBF I haven't played more than like one and a half games. I fought a real long war against an enemy that used all missiles so I went heavy into armor and guns (helped that I found a sweet gun tech in an anomaly) and they never ever switched up their weapons. Wasn't a matter of refitting either because they had some crazy production going on so they were constantly sending new fleets against me to be mulched.

It seems like the AI cares more about countering the weapon ranges you have than trying to match up well for defenses.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I've been having fun with the Riftborn and the UE, but just tried my first game with the Unfallen and good lord they're amazing. Their early game growth just rockets them ahead; fastest & easiest 4x win I've ever had.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They really rely on star clustering. The vines are literally like tree branches, if you've got a limb that gets cut off at the shoulder, the whole thing collapses

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I think I might go back to Endless Legend until ES2 gets an expansion or two. It's a nice game, but combat is extremely boring so the bulk of the game is just upgrading your planets which gets old pretty fast. I haven't had any issues stomping the ai so far so I just get bored after the exploration/settling part of the game.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
The Endless Games are starting to follow the same routine for me.

Horrible Balance / Gameplay Balance.
Unique Ideas
Wondrous Art / Music
Dust EVERYWHERE

Still like them

Malek fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 9, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Blisster posted:

I think I might go back to Endless Legend until ES2 gets an expansion or two. It's a nice game, but combat is extremely boring so the bulk of the game is just upgrading your planets which gets old pretty fast. I haven't had any issues stomping the ai so far so I just get bored after the exploration/settling part of the game.

I have been trying harder difficulty settings and different factions and yeah, I just can't get into warfare or combat.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I'm still waiting for something to like about Stellaris or Galciv. I haven't liked any of Stardock's recent strategy games so I'm much more hopeful for the former than the latter.

The latest dev post says they're making progress ironing out MP desyncs and improving late game performance. A beta patch is already out. AI performance has allegedly been improved up to eight fold in certain areas, whether that means less turn lag, harder AI or both is a mystery.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Delacroix posted:

I'm still waiting for something to like about Stellaris or Galciv. I haven't liked any of Stardock's recent strategy games so I'm much more hopeful for the former than the latter.

Yeah I will say I definitely like this game a lot more than Stellaris. That game needs even more work.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Delacroix posted:

The latest dev post says they're making progress ironing out MP desyncs and improving late game performance. A beta patch is already out. AI performance has allegedly been improved up to eight fold in certain areas, whether that means less turn lag, harder AI or both is a mystery.

That makes me want to revisit Sins of a Solar Empire, which was actually pretty good RTS game. Not nearly the same as ES2 or EL or w/e, but it's a diff genre and scratches a semi-similar itch.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Stellaris is going to be awesome in a couple of years.

GalCiv is insultingly bad. I don't think I've ever given up completely on a 4x game in one day before I met Galactic Civilizations 3.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Human Crouton posted:

Stellaris is going to be awesome in a couple of years.

GalCiv is insultingly bad. I don't think I've ever given up completely on a 4x game in one day before I met Galactic Civilizations 3.

I had some friends get actually angry at me because I said I'm not interested in the Galciv series because the owner of the company is a sexual harassing hard right libertarian piece of poo poo. "What!? How can you let politics influence what games you want!! You think game devs should lose their jobs because you don't like their politics or the politics of their boss?!?!!" and then the game turned out to be poo poo anyways.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had some friends get actually angry at me because I said I'm not interested in the Galciv series because the owner of the company is a sexual harassing hard right libertarian piece of poo poo. "What!? How can you let politics influence what games you want!! You think game devs should lose their jobs because you don't like their politics or the politics of their boss?!?!!" and then the game turned out to be poo poo anyways.

I made fun of Wardell on Twitter a few years ago and he retweeted it to his followers. I got piled on for about three days over that. I think the highlight was someone saying they wanted to cut my head off.

I've been putting more time into the UE and I gotta say their special trait is pretty baller. I think Influence buyouts don't scale up like dust buyouts do, so if you start getting colonies in the late game you can get them up and running super quick. Also being able to generate tons of Influence lets you pass shitloads of laws.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nice, the new preview patch for Endless Space 2 fixed the bug that made vines invisible! Now I can actually see where my treepeople are spreading!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Blisster posted:

I have no idea how they tuned this game but I've found Endless is probably the best difficulty, funnily enough. It certainly isn't as brutal Endless in EL, but I feel part of that stems from ES2's diplomacy system being so easy to game: as long as you're producing enough Dust/resources you can sell for Dust, you can indefinitely stave off your greedy dickish neighbors until you're ready to stomp their unoptimized, under-teched fleets.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Are we giving Multiplayer another run tonight?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Are we giving Multiplayer another run tonight?

Yes, 50m.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm still not sure if a Depleted planet actually produces less FIDS than a regular one in the current ruleset. I need to sit down and measure it. By which I mean, I know that CRAVER population units definitely produce less FIDSI on a depleted planet since their population function is they just produce 150% of everything on Undepleted, but don't produce any bonus FIDSI (like Haroshems and their +3 food etc) beyond that, so when everything is eaten they go down to the planet's baseline.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I had a bunch of non-craver pops on a Depleted planet, would it be as productive as an Undepleted one?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

I'm still not sure if a Depleted planet actually produces less FIDS than a regular one in the current ruleset. I need to sit down and measure it. By which I mean, I know that CRAVER population units definitely produce less FIDSI on a depleted planet since their population function is they just produce 150% of everything on Undepleted, but don't produce any bonus FIDSI (like Haroshems and their +3 food etc) beyond that, so when everything is eaten they go down to the planet's baseline.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if I had a bunch of non-craver pops on a Depleted planet, would it be as productive as an Undepleted one?

Nope. That's why you stick a single Craver on there to slave-drive the little shits.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Speedball posted:

Depleted is a status that affects the planet and causes it to produce less FIDSI regardless of who's sitting on it. I was rather annoyed to conquer the Vodyani homeworld only to find out that somehow the whole system was full of depleted worlds, even though the Cravers were a galactic arm away and hadn't to my knowledge unseated them--I would have thought that was a feature, what with their fluff in all, but playing as Vodyani I never ran into that.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you zoom out one step from the System screen where you can build improvements to the screen that you use probes, you can hover your cursor over planets and get a tooltip which, at the bottom, will show a planet's total bonuses/penalties without improvements. That's where you can check for things like unique planet bonuses and I believe depleted penalties as well.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

Depleted is a status that affects the planet and causes it to produce less FIDSI regardless of who's sitting on it. I was rather annoyed to conquer the Vodyani homeworld only to find out that somehow the whole system was full of depleted worlds, even though the Cravers were a galactic arm away and hadn't to my knowledge unseated them--I would have thought that was a feature, what with their fluff in all, but playing as Vodyani I never ran into that.

Craver heroes have a skill that boosts planet output but adds Depletion points. If it was late-game enough that's probably what happened.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Glidergun posted:

Craver heroes have a skill that boosts planet output but adds Depletion points. If it was late-game enough that's probably what happened.

Is that skill ever worth it if you're not playing as a Craver? Like are there any synergy bonuses to be had for depleting a planet if you have any pop other than Craver?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is that skill ever worth it if you're not playing as a Craver? Like are there any synergy bonuses to be had for depleting a planet if you have any pop other than Craver?

Well, the skill itself gives a pretty significant output boost. Also workers on undepleted planets have no penalty, no matter how close to depleted the planet is, and you can just reassign the hero - the points themselves will stick around but you'll no longer be making any more. It's probably even better on non-Craver empires, since it lets you get a burst of super-production out of all of your colonies if you're willing to move your guy around instead of fire-and-forgetting him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The skill also partially mitigates the penalties of depleted planets, iirc. So if you conquer an already-depleted Craver system you can stick him on there and forget about him.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Having a lot of fun with this despite all the big glaring bugs and issues all across the game, but I'm at a point in the Riftborn quest where you need to pump 4 systems to 30% Ecology support and I'm scratching my head just trying to figure out how all the political stuff really works.

If I'm following correctly ...
- The graph in the system view shows you the system's leanings, which is effected by the Population types in the system in relation to what events have happened to it (and your empire)?
- The Representatives (and voting for senate/etc) are influenced by those system graphs, but you can essentially "buy out" elections using the options provide for Dust/Influence. So, your representatives may not really follow what your system views are.

So anyway, is there any tricks to really giving a huge boost to a system's leanings? I tried for about 30-40 turns to just do nothing but research Eco techs, build eco buildings, massively dump out Colony ships (and just sell them, if that even does anything), and so on. Net effect over that entire time period was pushing from like 3% support to ~15% support.

And then very shortly after that someone declared war on me, I defended a couple of systems from them, and my Militarist support skyrocketed up to like 60%+ in every system again, even in ones that have pops entirely made of Eco influence based races.

So am I missing something or are these mechanics just really badly designed/balanced? I can't believe that having war declared on you and defending yourself in your own territory would bump it up so much. And I mean what other options do you have, building enough military ships to defend yourself will also boost Militarist? Are there other repeatable construction projects that boost other factions like how military ships boost Militarist?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, the influence system is kind of wonky and vulnerable to getting messed up by wars or even pirate skirmishes. Horatio (or maybe all dictatorships?) have a tech that allows you to convert industry into Ecologist support. Would be handy to have everywhere.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I seem to be missing how to do ship customization. I've been doing auto upgrade and so far my strategy has been throwing endless waves of ships at them until their considerably over powered ships go down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Malek posted:

I seem to be missing how to do ship customization. I've been doing auto upgrade and so far my strategy has been throwing endless waves of ships at them until their considerably over powered ships go down.

Click on the little spaceship icon on your toolbar and edit your designs? Same screen you buy upgrades for your troops and set your troops to be 100% tanks the moment you can.
If you're asking what designs are good, it sort of suffers like stellaris where it's a rock paper scissors sort of thing except the enemy is really bad at optimizing their ships. Personally I like to make my ships 100% one weapon type then add the module that buffs that type. So have an all energy design with the +20% energy damage module. But then have your support ship all kinetic, so your fleet has both bases covered.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Yeah, the influence system is kind of wonky and vulnerable to getting messed up by wars or even pirate skirmishes. Horatio (or maybe all dictatorships?) have a tech that allows you to convert industry into Ecologist support. Would be handy to have everywhere.

Oh yeah that was the other one, even attacking pirates seemed to bump up Militarist?? I hope they take a good look at how all of those influence effects work at some point. For now it just really sucks that I basically can't continue the main quest because I basically just doesn't seem to be able to push those values past 30% any practical way. :smith:

Also feeling based on starting with the default game size settings (I think Large was the default?), that I should really be playing on something like a Small or XS size instead.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Having a lot of fun with this despite all the big glaring bugs and issues all across the game, but I'm at a point in the Riftborn quest where you need to pump 4 systems to 30% Ecology support and I'm scratching my head just trying to figure out how all the political stuff really works.

If I'm following correctly ...
- The graph in the system view shows you the system's leanings, which is effected by the Population types in the system in relation to what events have happened to it (and your empire)?
- The Representatives (and voting for senate/etc) are influenced by those system graphs, but you can essentially "buy out" elections using the options provide for Dust/Influence. So, your representatives may not really follow what your system views are.

So anyway, is there any tricks to really giving a huge boost to a system's leanings? I tried for about 30-40 turns to just do nothing but research Eco techs, build eco buildings, massively dump out Colony ships (and just sell them, if that even does anything), and so on. Net effect over that entire time period was pushing from like 3% support to ~15% support.

And then very shortly after that someone declared war on me, I defended a couple of systems from them, and my Militarist support skyrocketed up to like 60%+ in every system again, even in ones that have pops entirely made of Eco influence based races.

So am I missing something or are these mechanics just really badly designed/balanced? I can't believe that having war declared on you and defending yourself in your own territory would bump it up so much. And I mean what other options do you have, building enough military ships to defend yourself will also boost Militarist? Are there other repeatable construction projects that boost other factions like how military ships boost Militarist?

Something you might have missed is that each race, major and minor, puts different weights on each of the six types of influence. You can see this in the population screen.

Riftborn get half the normal influence from Ecology acts, making that quest absurdly hard in its current form.

That said, Militarism is grossly overweighted for everyone right now for exactly the reasons you described, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decimal error or something. Hopefully it will be toned down.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Avasculous posted:

Something you might have missed is that each race, major and minor, puts different weights on each of the six types of influence. You can see this in the population screen.

Riftborn get half the normal influence from Ecology acts, making that quest absurdly hard in its current form.

That said, Militarism is grossly overweighted for everyone right now for exactly the reasons you described, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decimal error or something. Hopefully it will be toned down.

Yeah I did notice that, so I started making some systems with no Riftborn at all and stuffing them with Horatio and others. I think it might work if I can dig up a few more systems to shuffle pops around in, but even still just a few battles and I'm seeing barcharts full of red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Fortunately, the patch changes this quest objective to "pass 3 Ecologist laws", which only requires keeping the Ecologists as one of the parties in power for a couple cycles.

Hilariously, citing that it was "too difficult" in its current form, they changed the objectives of the penultimate Vodyani quest from destroying three planets to destroy​ing two planets. No, it's not difficult, Death Stars are incredibly easy to make by the point in the game you've researched both techs, it's just that it's mind-numbingly stupid to go out of your way to research the Planet Cracker, and engage in the slow and wasteful business of deleting planets. Though, just for flavor as Vodyani that reconciled with the Heretic, if only doctrinally and not literally with Mr. Cutscene, I destroyed Tor and the Hissho homeworld.

e: and the Unfallen homeworld, and Vanguard, and every planet within two systems of the UE capital...

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 12, 2017