Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GoutPatrol posted:

I believe that is Yuanshan - Grand Hotel.

Yeah!

For everyone else, this is a cool building. It's on a big hill by the river, near where the US army base used to be. There used to be a Japanese temple there, but a lot of it was destroyed during the war (not in a raid, a plane crashed into it). Circa 1950 when Taipei suddenly became the capital of Real China the government realized there weren't any hotels here fit for visiting dignitaries, so they built that huge thing where the temple used to be. Really pretty building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It looks gorgeous. Great photo, Accretionist.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The photographer's instagram has a lot of great photos from China/Japan. Yuma1983.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That said if you see a empty restaurant during typical meal times with no one in it don't be the first. If they're not selling food their ingredients have probably been sitting around for a while.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I had no idea brunch was an integral part of the Victorian experience. I've been to Victoria twice and not once did I have brunch! (Although I did yell at some mainlanders who were blocking my way when I was running in a blind panic to catch my ferry back to Seattle.)

It's funny because "mainlander" is a slur in victoria but not at all in the way this thread uses it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Accretionist posted:

The photographer's instagram has a lot of great photos from China/Japan. Yuma1983.

Oooooh, thanks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JaucheCharly posted:

If I had the choice between going to china or the US, I'd go to italy.

:same:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Going to Victoria? Ewwww, just go to Tofino or else where in the Island

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaucheCharly posted:

If I had the choice between going to china or the US, I'd go to italy.

:iceburn:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Going to Victoria? Ewwww, just go to Tofino or else where in the Island

I was on my way to Nanaimo via Courtenay. Victoria might have been the bright spot, hahaa.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
We all know that the lovely education system, chabuduo mindset, ingrained laziness, and the cultural fear of being wrong leaves most mainland Chinese to simply copy any original idea instead of coming up with their own. It's really pathetic and

http://i.imgur.com/BBjaaw3.gifv

Outrail posted:

That said if you see a empty restaurant during typical meal times with no one in it don't be the first. If they're not selling food their ingredients have probably been sitting around for a while.
I stopped buying noodles at the chain supermarket near me (Ren Ren Le) because they would re-use the noodles from the previous day or mix them with the fresh stuff. A couple times I bought noodles and came back to eat and opened the bag and the smell of rancid oil and "we let this sit out for far too many hours" would hit me and I'd have to throw it out.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
There's a famous restaurant near my apartment that is always packed. The people who own it opened another one that was pretty much exactly the same (same food, same staff, same decor just cleaner) about 20 metres down the road from it. I never saw anyone ever go there, they would all go to the one with the 3 hour queue because obviously that one must be better. It closed after less than a month and is now a car wash place. Why a car wash? Because there is already 2 right next to it so this must be the best business to run here.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haier posted:

I stopped buying noodles at the chain supermarket near me (Ren Ren Le) because they would re-use the noodles from the previous day or mix them with the fresh stuff. A couple times I bought noodles and came back to eat and opened the bag and the smell of rancid oil and "we let this sit out for far too many hours" would hit me and I'd have to throw it out.

Theoretically, if they add today's leftovers to tomorrow's batch there's a noodle that's been kicking around since day one.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 9, 2017

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
this lady is the 女 in 路怒症

https://my.mixtape.moe/nylnrb.mp4

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
auntie bout to beat dat pancake rear end

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

Theoretically, if they add today's leftovers to tomorrow's batch there's a noodle that's been kicking around since day one.
The Primordial noodle. The Noodle of noodles. The one true Noodle.

This is a perfect summary of face.
*Puffs out chest, stands tall*
*Points a finger, to lay blame*
*Grabs a weapon with zero intention of using it*
*Just wants to look cool*
*Someone who is the slightest bit serious about the issue wins immediately*

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Haier posted:

We all know that the lovely education system, chabuduo mindset, ingrained laziness, and the cultural fear of being wrong leaves most mainland Chinese to simply copy any original idea instead of coming up with their own. It's really pathetic and

http://i.imgur.com/BBjaaw3.gifv

Notice the open rear end on the pants so the kid can poo poo anywhere.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It's just kiddy poo poo. Not real poo poo that ruins your brand new italian leather shoes.

Lol.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Stringent posted:

auntie bout to beat dat pancake rear end

mass helps you win fights its true

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

There's a famous restaurant near my apartment that is always packed. The people who own it opened another one that was pretty much exactly the same (same food, same staff, same decor just cleaner) about 20 metres down the road from it. I never saw anyone ever go there, they would all go to the one with the 3 hour queue because obviously that one must be better. It closed after less than a month and is now a car wash place. Why a car wash? Because there is already 2 right next to it so this must be the best business to run here.

It might be because local chains tend to not standardize for poo poo, so you'll have restaurants vary wildly in quality for certain dishes or even overall. I mean in general the locations barely even communicate with each other, at least down here. I don't even understand how they get the name in the first place but even the menus will sometimes be completely different with maybe only a few common items. There's a really old noodle bowl chain here in Kunming (advertised as the oldest chain here) and they had one location in a trendy university neighborhood with the best bowl of blood noodle soup I've had down here. They closed (university moved to a suburb). Meanwhile the location 15 minutes away is thriving and is mediocre at best. So disappointing.

Just because you like a chain doesn't mean a location will be good. You basically have to find your spots here and stick to them, or explore and be willing to throw away some money on some potentially straight up bad food. If a particular location is famous or has lines, that's usually a good sign that's a legit spot (or cheap). Sometimes it gets crazy though - there's a chicken stew chain here with lines that will take an hour, and I refuse to wait an hour for a goddamn stew, especially since I've heard it isn't worth the wait.

Also I know I'm late but just to put in two cents on the cashless chat:

The Great Autismo! posted:

also i absolutely despise the idea of a cashless society and am going kicking and screaming into that future, and it's annoying, because i'll go to places and try to give them actual money, which is legal tender, and they'll be like "please use this dumb app to pay" or whatever and i'll say something like "sorry i don't have a phone or an account" and people look at me like i'm some kind of talking zebra that just sauntered into their store. it like totally fucks with their head that someone would not use alipay or whatever dumb app they want me to use.

there's a few different reasons why i think charging everything and cashless societies are bad and it irks the poo poo out of me that i'm holding 50rmb and i want a 3rmb bottle of water and they are like "please use your phone and give us your information to charge this 50 cent bottle of water". no. take my money.

Personally I agree cash is convenient and it's easy to get bogged down by people who can't seem to comprehend cashless apps, and people refusing to take cash is stupid, but...

Alipay and WeChat have made my life so much loving easier. Like seriously. Those two plus an actual POS plus various waimai/online ordering services means less loose cash flowing around in our restaurants which means way way fewer opportunities for our staff to steal. Like with straight cash we were losing hundreds per week that we couldn't track because everything was cash and the system was all handwritten paper. So from my side of the counter, the less cash the easier it is for me to run a tighter ship.

Also you'd be amazed how many old Chinese see a handwritten ticket and go "Oh it's 163 RMB? Well I only have 150 so I guess you'll just get that" versus with a POS printed ticket they're all of a sudden willing to believe that's the goddamn price and you'll goddamn pay it. I just couldn't loving believe the balls these old farts have. They still try to double check the math of a loving COMPUTER and waste our time only to eventually lose face and pay the ticket amount, but at least we get the full amount.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do you still get to scratch the fapiao if you pay by phone, though?

Also cashless payments is a good way for the Chinese government to actually get people to pay their taxes and reduce corruption, I guess.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Today I had to do some work at a building that has a really over-rated breakfast place in it...

Lol as I was reading this first sentence, not knowing it was you or that you lived on the island, I was thinking to myself "sounds like the Blue Fox".... And there it was. Bet you recommended shine cafe to them

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Tell me of this Shine Cafe

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Imperialist Dog posted:

Was this already posted? Don't cross the street in Henan

https://twitter.com/ZhangZhulin/status/872693355137961984

Honestly and completely unironically, when people react like this to some poor woman getting run over by a car, there is something very loving wrong with your society and how it's moulding people. There's just something extremely disturbing about the lack of humanity on display here, EVEN before that one sociopath runs over the injured woman because I guess the two seconds it would take to go around her is too high a price to pay for someone's loving life.

Jesus christ, China. What the gently caress is wrong with you :smith:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Honestly and completely unironically, when people react like this to some poor woman getting run over by a car, there is something very loving wrong with your society and how it's moulding people. There's just something extremely disturbing about the lack of humanity on display here, EVEN before that one sociopath runs over the injured woman because I guess the two seconds it would take to go around her is too high a price to pay for someone's loving life.

Yes but you see there are traffic accidents in America too.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Examinations are done so my school is on half day until summer vacation begins next month. This means I won't see my best grade 6 class ever again.

Before exams started, their "regular"English teacher came up and said "Did you teach (book)?"

"No, we couldn't find a copy, so I went with (better book) instead."

The school subscribes to a great online book depository for schools, so basically when I need to teach something, I look through the list, pick a book that has appropriate difficulty and content, and print off a copy for each student.

"But you need to teach it. It's in the schedule."

"I've already taught persuasive writing using (better book). Where are these books anyway?"

"In the classroom in the English cabinet."

I go to the room to have a look. No books.

"Maybe the students have them. I'll ask them to bring them in."

"Ok." I then continue with my programme.

Today, the teacher gives me a copy of the book. "This is what you should use to teach the writing."

It's got talking dogs on the cover. I flip through it. It teaches persuasive writing, no doubt, with phrases like "Snails are slow so they can't get out of the way. In my opinion, we should give motors to snails so they can move faster." It's obviously meant for younger students. My students have just finished writing opinion essays on a number of subjects, with topics ranging from whether we should shorten the school day, to whether free internet should be a right, whether we should build houses in our country parks and other hot topics in Hong Kong right now. Their work includes surveys, data charts, and bibliographies showing where they got their data to back up their opinion writing. This book is 8 pages long with 7 sentences per page.

"Is this for grade 6 or age six?" I joke.
Completely seriously, the teacher says "Grade six."
We look at each other.
"I mean, it looks like it's meant for age six, not grade 6," I explain slowly.
The teacher looks at me in annoyed confusion. "It's for grade six."
"We've already finished this topic. Besides, I won't have any more classes with this group."
"You can take some of the other subject teacher's classes."
"To cover what we've already done, but at a lower level?"
"Because it is in the schedule."

One month to go ...

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

lol

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Der Shovel posted:

Ask that in the D&D china thread for a thorough and nuanced answer.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

JaucheCharly posted:

Ask that in the D&D china thread for a thorough and nuanced answer.

*White people...

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This was no accident.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Der Shovel posted:

this also happened recently and it's even worse

https://my.mixtape.moe/wdhnoc.mp4

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Life is cheap

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Der Shovel posted:

:agreed:

http://i.imgur.com/QWdv1Ay.gifv

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Guy in Guangzhou tries to 9/11 a city bus. No deaths.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GratefulUnlinedAnole.webm

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

big time bisexual posted:

this also happened recently and it's even worse

https://my.mixtape.moe/wdhnoc.mp4
helmets on anyone: 0. seems to be having a seizure :(

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Der Shovel posted:

Here's a comment about this story someone posted on reddit:

quote:

Told this before, but one more time for fun. Walking in Haidian, Beijing (for those who know, left the North Subway station walking towards the KFC) and it's the middle of winter and the ground is cold. as I am getting closer to the corner I see what looks like a migrant worker type splayed face down in the middle of the road, his bag has fallen and his goods are scattered in an arc that looks like he went down hard. The sidewalks are full as they always are on weekends but no one is stopping, they are all making a very large circle around him so no one has to get too close. Red light comes, and the cars drive carefully (thankfully) around him as he is literally in the middle of the right lane.
I get closer to the corner and there's a raging debate in my head about whether I had to do something, finally I decide I do as this guy is face first on the cement in winter and he looks like he's been there a while. I go up to him, no smell of alcohol which was my first guess, and shake him a little, no sign, I look up and there is the police hut on the corner (I think it has since been moved and upgraded nearby) with two officers in it chatting and ignoring everything.

I shake the guy again, the crowds are still moving around us and no one even looking, avert your eyes people! Avert your eyes so you don't feel the shame! Finally he starts to wake up, he is very groggy and has no idea what is going on, I help him get off the roadway with his stuff and to the sidewalk and then the police bust out of their hut. They come over, try to force the guy to stand, which he can't, so he sits up slowly. They turn to me and I'm expecting some sort of "Thanks strange white man!" speech, and instead they start chastising me, telling me I should go and to leave these things to the police. loving hell... So I walk off and this little old aiyi comes up smiling and looking pleasant and then starts yelling loudly at me "DON'T HELP STRANGERS! THEY ARE LIARS! IT'S VERY STUPID TO HELP THEM!"
loving hell....

I was on the way to a "snow festival" down in Daxing where everyone there was also equally disgusting to each other. That was the day I decided I had had enough of China. It wasn't getting better, it was just slowly rotting from the inside out and when it broke, it was going to be bad for everyone, especially foreigners. So I came home and now just rant about my time there on Reddit when I'm bored.

I do miss the liangmian though....

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Vegetable truck shows up to save the day.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CourteousUnacceptableDodo.webm

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Imperialist Dog posted:

"Is this for grade 6 or age six?" I joke.
Completely seriously, the teacher says "Grade six."
We look at each other.
"I mean, it looks like it's meant for age six, not grade 6," I explain slowly.
The teacher looks at me in annoyed confusion. "It's for grade six."
"We've already finished this topic. Besides, I won't have any more classes with this group."
"You can take some of the other subject teacher's classes."
"To cover what we've already done, but at a lower level?"
"Because it is in the schedule."

One month to go ...

Do they also do this to each other, or is it just foreigners?

BTW, speaking of leaving places, TGA did you ever move to Japan or whatever?

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 9, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It's like a reverse Le Mans start

Edit: to be fully chinathread, one of the tuhaos should have left his car in gear so it could slowly roll off the road as he sprinted in the opposite direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"These popsicles are made out of 100 different sources of polluted water in Taiwan. The people made them want to raise attention of growing water pollution due to urbanization."

NOT SO NUMBAH ONE NOW!

• Locked thread