Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you care about someone then spend time with them and take them out for a beer. If you don't care about them then don't waste time and money trying to keep up pretences by buying them stupid poo poo that they don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If you're worried about your friends and family having too much crap, you could just do things for them or take them places instead.

Even if you give them an :spergin:economically inefficient:spergin: gift, don't forget to factor in the difference in marginal utility; all else being equal, if you have or make more money than them, any wealth transfer is positive-sum.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

"Bad thing has been done before" doesn't mean it's okay to make a bad thing easier to do or more appealing.

My point, as indicated by my reference to causality, is that AFAIK there's no evidence that Snapchat had those effects. I'm more than happy to hear of evidence to the contrary, though; I like to learn.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Old men generally have all the material crap they need, and patriarchal hangups mean that adult kids giving money to their elders is more likely to insult than please. So give nothing. Phone your dad. Buy him a meal or a drink if you live nearby (go to Olive Garden if you must.)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

My point, as indicated by my reference to causality, is that AFAIK there's no evidence that Snapchat had those effects. I'm more than happy to hear of evidence to the contrary, though; I like to learn.

Do you feel that this inquisition is on-topic in the Bad With Money thread? Follow-up question: Are your googling fingers broken?

BarbarianElephant posted:

Old men generally have all the material crap they need, and patriarchal hangups mean that adult kids giving money to their elders is more likely to insult than please. So give nothing. Phone your dad. Buy him a meal or a drink if you live nearby (go to Olive Garden if you must.)

I agree, experiential and consumable gifts are best in general, but especially for older people who may see accumulating more stuff as burdensome.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you feel that this inquisition is on-topic in the Bad With Money thread? Follow-up question: Are your googling fingers broken?

No less so than yours? Happy to take it to PMs if you'd like.

My googling fingers may be broken, because I can't find anything supporting the assertion that Snapchat's filter increased accidents, nor that their removal reduced them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Do you feel that this inquisition is on-topic in the Bad With Money thread?

:ironicat:

Why leave money in your 403b? It could go up or down! Just take the hit and BUY A HOUSE! Stop throwing away money on rent!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6g1p0j/looking_to_buy_a_house_how_bad_of_an_idea_is_it/[/quote posted:

short background: wife is a stay-at-home mom w/ our 20mo old. i work full-time (and full-time student if that matters) making 110k/yr. Both have 700+ credit scores, debt ratio fairly low.
So we're looking at buying a house listed at $479k. We can go the route of going to our credit union and financing the whole thing through a 5/5 ARM for first time buyers. Due to the price it would be a jumbo loan.
My wife left her job when our daughter was born and has roughly 200k in her 403b. It has been sitting there ever since. Would it be wise to cash it out and take the penalty and use the proceeds towards purchasing the house? The logic behind this being that currently the 403b may go up or down but highly doubtful there would be exponential growth. However if we take that money and put it on the house it would lower the overall mortgage payments, possibly negotiate a better rate an wouldn't have to classify it as a jumbo loan. And someone mentioned there would be savings due to amortization w/ the full cost vs cost after paying w/ 403b money (not sure how true that is). Also she wants a fixed rate loan vs the first time buyer 5/5 ARM that both CUs offer. Is the 5/5 ARM that bad or is she overreacting or something?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Luckily they seemed receptive to it being a horrible idea.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There are a few good strategies to buying gifts for people you don't know well enough to feel confident that you're nailing it. As someone who is difficult to shop for, I know a lot about this. (my hobbies are specialized enough that nobody has any idea what to get for them, and stuff tends to be too expensive for gift territory)
As mentioned in the research, the key value of a gift comes as both cash equivalent value, and the sentiment.

One is to choose something you already know they value, but something a better than what they'd get for themselves. This is easy to do with fancy booze, just buy something on the next tier up from what they usually buy.
This also triggers some loss aversion in the recipient. They value the $80 bottle of whiskey at $80, but probably wouldn't buy it for themselves at that price nor would they now trade that bottle in hand for $80 in cash. Perfect!

Or just donate to a charity on their behalf​. Make it one that's meaningful to them, give them a card that says something like "I know you feel like you have enough stuff, so we donated $50 instead to [CHARITY THAT SUPPORTS CAUSE YOU CARE ABOUT]"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, charity is the way to go. It's what I always do for my dad when I give money to my siblings.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

No less so than yours? Happy to take it to PMs if you'd like.

My googling fingers may be broken, because I can't find anything supporting the assertion that Snapchat's filter increased accidents, nor that their removal reduced them.

If you feel the need to spam my inbox with the effluvium of your personality disorder I don't suppose I can stop you, but I'll probably just delete it unread. Maybe you could find some other thread to defend the honor of funny picture apps in.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Do you feel that this inquisition is on-topic in the Bad With Money thread?

holy poo poo the needle on my irony meter is now a fan

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Motronic posted:

No, it's not.

You're right, mixed up individual non-Roth IRA and Roth 401k.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you feel the need to spam my inbox with the effluvium of your personality disorder I don't suppose I can stop you, but I'll probably just delete it unread. Maybe you could find some other thread to defend the honor of funny picture apps in.

What the gently caress are you talking about? I just asked why you believe what you do, because you contradicted my belief and I thought -- perhaps naively -- that there was something behind your position that I hadn't encountered. I don't know why you suddenly became hostile when I did so.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostnuke posted:

holy poo poo the needle on my irony meter is now a fan

:thejoke:

loving goons.

Subjunctive posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? I just asked why you believe what you do, because you contradicted my belief and I thought -- perhaps naively -- that there was something behind your position that I hadn't encountered. I don't know why you suddenly became hostile when I did so.

Jesus loving christ, STOP. I DON'T CARE. I DON'T CARE ABOUT SNAPCHAT. I DON'T CARE IF YOU CARE ABOUT SNAPCHAT. GO THE gently caress OUTSIDE.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

that seems pretty "beep boop people are efficient robots!" that ignores a whole lot of social and cultural context around gift-giving. I know a lot of economists are known for forgetting the idea of human interaction not based purely on monetary gain, but that almost seems like parody.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Jesus loving christ, STOP. I DON'T CARE. I DON'T CARE ABOUT SNAPCHAT. I DON'T CARE IF YOU CARE ABOUT SNAPCHAT. GO THE gently caress OUTSIDE.

I totally understand why you're on edge after the inquisition a couple pages ago but I really don't see any reason to think Subjunctive isn't making conversation in good faith, which is... the point of this thread? If you'll look back he even took your side in that debate.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Eldred posted:

I totally understand why you're on edge after the inquisition a couple pages ago but I really don't see any reason to think Subjunctive isn't making conversation in good faith, which is... the point of this thread? If you'll look back he even took your side in that debate.

Then make a loving thread about it and keep him busy for a while. My inbox would thank you.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So Father's Day is coming up, and we need to get gifts for several men in our lives. I suggested to my wife that we dispense with the "try to guess what they want" bullshit and give cash, because receiving cash they have license to get a thing they wanted but we couldn't select. Everyone in our family thinks they're really good at selecting and giving gifts, and they're not - they're terrible and we accumulate crap like nobody's business.

She says it's insensitive, that people would be offended, etc. etc. etc.

Good with money or bad with money?

BWM and GWL? I dunno, family gets weird and touchy about that poo poo.

Fortunately, my family is very cash oriented - we're all impossibly hard to shop for. The one exception is my MIL insists on getting me stuff but she really likes to read and I really like to read. So far that has been an okay compromise.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
This discussion is doing my head in. I don't even buy my Dad a Father's Day gift, let alone random people I know who happen to be fathers. :psyduck:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Oh my god, he could have killed her. Did she literally try to set him on fire?

It just doesn't make sense to me. After driving this much for a year it was clear they would have to buy the car out at the end of the lease, so any maintenance issues were going to have to be dealt with. And he was riding in or driving the car a lot too so he could have died when something failed. She really did try to set him on fire, the police were called, no charges were filed and he moved out after that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He asked how much they would have been willing to pay for the same gifts. Average answer: $313. Recipients valued gifts at 71.5 cents on the US dollar, a significant economic inefficiency.

If they were willing to pay the same price for the gifts they would already own something similar. It isn't even a good measure of the economical value of gift giving. A better question is if a cash gift, or no gift would have a better outcome for all involved. Buying a gift for someone that they wouldn't normally buy for themselves is part of gift giving. And social institutions should not be judged primarily on economic value. You are trading money for social capital.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lampey posted:

She really did try to set him on fire, the police were called, no charges were filed and he moved out after that.

:stonk:

How...how is that just a footnote in your initial post?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Inept posted:

With no charges filed, that's the least BWM part of the story.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

Noctone posted:

This discussion is doing my head in. I don't even buy my Dad a Father's Day gift, let alone random people I know who happen to be fathers. :psyduck:

Same.

As far as cash and gift card, I always find gift cards nicer because it forces me to use them on something I wouldn't buy normally. Otherwise, most cash just goes to groceries...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inept posted:

Who among us, in a fit of passion, has not tried to set another person ablaze?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who among us, in a fit of passion, has not tried to set another person ablaze?

It's even in the chorus of an Adele song, "I set fire to Lorraine..."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Nm personal story

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And Adele is amazing with money. She turned the earthy voice of Hungarian Throat singer into a multimillion dollar empire!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

brugroffil posted:

that seems pretty "beep boop people are efficient robots!" that ignores a whole lot of social and cultural context around gift-giving. I know a lot of economists are known for forgetting the idea of human interaction not based purely on monetary gain, but that almost seems like parody.

A lot of the social ideas we have about gift giving are created or at least heavily influenced by consumer driven industries who profit off convincing people at regular intervals that they are obligated to buy stuff for people for social acceptability.

Gift giving can be a wonderful way to express care for someone or for other social interaction, but a lot of "holiday gift expectations" are set by industries that profit off them, so there is merit in thinking about how much of the gifts we give others are just wasted money. Everyone is familiar with getting gifts they don't really like but now feel obligated to keep, or feeling obligated to buy something for someone because it's a specific day and not really knowing what to get so buying whatever.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Enfys posted:

A lot of the social ideas we have about gift giving are created or at least heavily influenced by consumer driven industries who profit off convincing people at regular intervals that they are obligated to buy stuff for people for social acceptability.

Gift giving can be a wonderful way to express care for someone or for other social interaction, but a lot of "holiday gift expectations" are set by industries that profit off them, so there is merit in thinking about how much of the gifts we give others are just wasted money. Everyone is familiar with getting gifts they don't really like but now feel obligated to keep, or feeling obligated to buy something for someone because it's a specific day and not really knowing what to get so buying whatever.
Jesus gently caress, gifts. There's a BWM. A slight derail but here goes:

A friend from work was leaving and moving to a different cities. As customary, all of her friends organised a card and a gift. We knew she needed the money, we know she didn't need more crap to have to relocate THREE THOUSAND KILOMETRES as the crow flies. But the bosses weren't happy when we shared our idea of giving her cash and a card, they were fairy insistent that it wouldn't be proper to give her cash but a gift. gently caress. What to do.

We ended up giving her a $30 wallet that looked a bit expensive and an empty prepaid visa card with cash hidden in the wallet.

She used the money to buy a new car.

annnd... some content:

quote:

Hello! I am 23 y/o male and I recently started a life insurance policy. I'm paying about $100 a month for this. I felt pressured by the sales guy to do this, and he did a pretty good job of talking me into it, but is this something I really need? I'm a healthy guy with no pressing medical conditions.
Also, how easy is it to terminate a life insurance plan?
Let me know if I need more info in this description!

quote:

Do you have dependents? No? You do not need life insurance.

quote:

I didn't think about it like that... what about the money I've already put into it?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

Jesus gently caress, gifts. There's a BWM. A slight derail but here goes:

A friend from work was leaving and moving to a different cities. As customary, all of her friends organised a card and a gift. We knew she needed the money, we know she didn't need more crap to have to relocate THREE THOUSAND KILOMETRES as the crow flies.

Moving to Perth, was she?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

from a guy who's been obsessed with buying a Tesla Model 3 for years:

quote:

I guess I should mention I could ask for a delay, and to be pushed back in line, but I want to get the car prior to the end of 2017 so I can immediately take the tax credit, and move somewhere across the country, using that $7500 tax credit as a down payment for a house.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Suspicious Lump posted:

A friend from work was leaving and moving to a different cities. As customary, all of her friends organised a card and a gift. We knew she needed the money, we know she didn't need more crap to have to relocate THREE THOUSAND KILOMETRES as the crow flies. But the bosses weren't happy when we shared our idea of giving her cash and a card, they were fairy insistent that it wouldn't be proper to give her cash but a gift. gently caress. What to do.

We ended up giving her a $30 wallet that looked a bit expensive and an empty prepaid visa card with cash hidden in the wallet.

She used the money to buy a new car.

Crikey. The office whip-round for people leaving at my workplaces would result in enough for a nice dinner, not a new car. Where do you work, Goldman Sachs?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Crikey. The office whip-round for people leaving at my workplaces would result in enough for a nice dinner, not a new car. Where do you work, Goldman Sachs?

Maybe she just had like twenty thousand friends who all gave a dollar

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

ate all the Oreos posted:

The Myspace/Facebook tendency to add literally everyone else on their friends list finally paid off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

brugroffil posted:

from a guy who's been obsessed with buying a Tesla Model 3 for years:

haha this is truly excellent jesus christ

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Owns a Tesla

Buys a 38k house

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ate all the Oreos posted:

For some reason that reminds me of the Powerball meme last year that if they split the $1.3 billion jackpot across everyone in the US, we'd all get $4.33 million each and poverty would be solved... ignoring the fact that in reality we'd get 4 dollars and 33 cents each if you actually divided the numbers correctly. Then there's the problem of inflation if everyone really did get a lot of money all together (such as with some Universal Basic Income proposals).

Then there was the beautiful counter-meme of "The Force Awakens pulls in $1.7 billion at the box office. That means each of us spent $5.66 million seeing it".

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Nail Rat posted:

Owns a Tesla

Buys a 38k house

This is the BWM thread; he's not going to be anywhere near that responsible. At the very best he'll take a 3.5% FHA loan; if we're lucky he'll get a zero-down mortgage and use that for his origination fee.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This might cross into GWM territory, but my boss is having an American Girl Doll theme for her Daughter's 5th birthday party and requesting pre-paid Mastercard and Visa giftcards only as gifts. Her daughter wants to go to the American Girl store and pick up a Doll and some clothes as her presents.

The Doll + 3 Outfits that she wants are about $650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This might cross into GWM territory, but my boss is having an American Girl Doll theme for her Daughter's 5th birthday party and requesting pre-paid Mastercard and Visa giftcards only as gifts. Her daughter wants to go to the American Girl store and pick up a Doll and some clothes as her presents.

The Doll + 3 Outfits that she wants are about $650.

I hope someone robs the party.