Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Does anyone know if deploying from a Tyrannocyte count as moving? Or since it's after the movement phase it doesn't?

E: Top of the page cool pic

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Strobe posted:

Just don't supercharge unless you need it to do succeed-or-lose damage? :shrug: Plasma no longer Gets Hot unless you're pushing for extra S and D is a definite upgrade in my book.

Never not supercharge. Failure to supercharge is lack of faith in the Emperor, and is therefore heretical.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Genghis Cohen posted:

I have used these guys in both my games of 8th so far, and yes, they kick rear end. For perspective, a Scion officer and a command squad of 4xplasma guns was 145pts last edition. Now it's 40+64. I prefer the command squad to the regular one for suicide deep strike . . . outside 9" means outside rapid fire range for the hotshot lasguns, and of course you're paying for the guys. Command squads are not linked to number of HQs taken, you can just take the officer and 2 comd squads. As a general unit, a Scion with a hotshot lasgun is now 10pts and may just be a viable unit, but I think they'd be better off in the mechanised role. Apparently their Taurox Primes are fiendishly efficient gun-transports now? Like the 20 shot S4 gun is one of the most efficient all-round weapons in the game.

Conversely, the traditional firepower of Leman Russes seems like it took a massive dive. You're not going to get many turret weapon hits with any of the main guns. (the exterminator and eradicator are just weedy; the vanquisher is still basically an inferior battle cannon) Sponsons and hull lascannon upgrades, which no longer snap fire from ordnance being fired, mostly went well up in price. Plasma cannons and the executioner in particular I want to call out. They are just not worth it - firing on normal power, the turret is pretty crap. Because any 1s remove the model outright (was this really something they couldn't write their way around on big vehicles?) the risk of super-charging is just unacceptable. Even with re-roll 1s, from a tank commander: that's a 1/36 chance of death per shot. With plasma sponsons, it puts out an average of about 8 shots a turn. It's nearly 25% to kill yourself every time you fire in the best possible situation. Don't think I'll be using Russes much, at least until a codex comes out.

Excuse me sir, in 8th edition we call them baddle cannons

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Never not supercharge. Failure to supercharge is lack of faith in the Emperor, and is therefore heretical.
See, TheChirurgeon? This guy gets it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

Excuse me sir, in 8th edition we call them baddle cannons

I don't know why they changed so many other things from 7th but kept the relative AP of weapons (ap4 and better) absolutely identical, even if they change the roles of them.

Like battle cannons might not have been so bad if they were AP-3 instead of -2. Still wouldn't get many hits but the hits you do get would stick. But I don't think there was a single ranged weapon that had its AP changed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all AP4 guns became -1, Ap3 -2, AP2 -3, and AP1 -4.

Battle cannons are the missile launchers of turret weapons. They're "versatile" which means they're kinda poo poo at two different roles and cost too much.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 9, 2017

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

So far painting doomsday ark is fine. All silvers and blacks are done, moving on to greens next.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Baddle cannons. Love it.

My complaint about plasma isn't so much that I have to fire supercharged (which for most models, i.e. Infantry, I am massively in favour of) but specific to leman russes. Plasma on those is relatively very weak and expensive - it only becomes decent when you take the risk.

Didn't realise the stock russes had the emergency vents: thought that was tank commanders only. Still a pretty big knock to self-inflict.

I did just put together a chimera. 109 pts for 2 heavy flamers now. Dunno if it's worth it, but I guess we'll see.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Just based on Tyranid and Ork players actually being energized to play again I'll call this edition a success. Almost want to actually start an Ork force now.

Me too. But I hesitate to paint several dozen of boyz when their models are old and squatty, I'd hope they are replaced some time in the future. I've been tempted to start painting some of their existing models I like in the meantime, like these Forgeworld grot tanks...

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Just based on Tyranid and Ork players actually being energized to play again I'll call this edition a success. Almost want to actually start an Ork force now.

I've been coaxed into a few games with my orks even though I'm still pissed off with the sluggish movement and expensive battle wagons. I generally favour green tide lists and battlewagon lists, but I have loads of orks for any type of list.

My thoughts so far: Orks die in droves like bitches even if you play smart. Loss of cover screening units sucks as does the cover save nerfs in general. The KFF helps a little, but it's not as effective as it has been in the past and snipers will just ruin your day. Being 5"M is annoying, faster opponents just move away from you with impunity most of the time.

To be effective you have to bring as much dakka as you can stuff into your list. Ork assault wont cut it on its own and is somewhat underwhelming.

You have to be really careful with your Warboss and Character placement as space marine snipers are just too good for what they cost (they are seriously obnoxious I copped 4 mortal wounds on Ghazy turn one last game and my KFF meks are consistently killed by them), make them priority targets if you encounter them. I've had lots of success with a few burna squads in trukks on the flanks but they have become my opponents priority targets now, followed closely by lootas (trukk bunkers serve me well). Tankbustaz are a bit lackluster, lootas are just better.

Shoota boys are still pretty decent but the changes to cover saves makes them less effective in general. I've bought choppa boys to fights but they tend to become priority targets and I've not been able to use them effectively, maybey a weirdboy teleport will make them more effective. Grots are a bit cheaper without mandatory babysitters and they make effective enough objective grabbers and slot fillers. Everyone I've played ignores them until the end of the game but they will evaporate if breathed on.

I've not made much use of Nobz or Meganobz yet, but on paper they should be effective in battlewagon lists which I will give a go this weekend. Lots of choppa boys and nobs in wagons should be viable against the current lot of anti-horde marine and tau lists I'm facing. I may also give the dreadlist a go if I can scrounge up some more deffdreads and a gorkanaught, but the loss of cover screening hurts that style of army.

edit: Mob rule is pretty awesome now.

krursk fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 9, 2017

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised there were this many nid players in this thread to begin with.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

BaconCopter posted:

Does anyone know if deploying from a Tyrannocyte count as moving? Or since it's after the movement phase it doesn't?

It does count. There's a blurb about in a 'Reinforcements' column on the page with the main Movement rules.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soulfucker posted:

We were burrowed :)

Death from below! Terror from the deep!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This is about as many DE as I can squeeze into 2k points. I swear I used to bring more than this at 1750. Not sure how much this list will actually kill things except for MCs/vehicles, I feel like if there's a lot of infantry around then maybe it'll end up with not enough shots?

HQ
Archon
Huskblade
Blast pistol

Lelith Hesperax

Elites
Kabalite Trueborn x5
Blasters x4
Venom with two splinter cannons

Kabalite Trueborn x5
Blasters x4
Venom with two splinter cannons

Troops
Wyches x9
Agoniser
Raider with dark lance

Wyches x9
Agoniser
Raider with dark lance

Wracks x5
Haemonculus tools

Fast Attack
Reaver Jetbikes x6
Heat lances x2

Reaver Jetbikes x6
Heat lances x2

Heavy Support
Ravager
Three dark lances

Ravager
Three dark lances

Ravager
Three dark lances

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

My Tyranid friend (who doesn't post here) has the following questions about Tyranids in 8th edition:

- Are the venom cannon and/or heavy venom cannon useless?
- What is the best warrior layout, shooting-focused or melee-focused or all-purpose or what?
- Is an army based off warriors (with a Tyranid prime) and carnifexes (with Old One Eye) viable?

He hates genestealers with a passion and refuses to use them or anything involving them. Strongly dislikes gaunts of any variety. Also, he doesn't like to use the really giant monsters, like anything bigger than a carnifex. He might bend on a hive tyrant, but he really, really likes warriors the most and wants a Tyranid prime HQ. Would consider using flying units. Loves ripper swarms.
It sounds like your friend doesn't actually like Tyranids at all and should play a different army.

All bugs are beautiful.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Soulfucker posted:

They've all been playing other armies for the last few years.

Also, would it be worth doing a banner and blurb for 30K and linking it to the current thread? Staying in 7th and eventually going to 7.5 will take the Horus Heresy from being a 40K add-on to a wholly different game.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

This is about as many DE as I can squeeze into 2k points. I swear I used to bring more than this at 1750. Not sure how much this list will actually kill things except for MCs/vehicles, I feel like if there's a lot of infantry around then maybe it'll end up with not enough shots

Why the footslogging wracks unit? To take home objectives? Seems a bit out of place. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the wyches, as I'm not sure the coin flip of no escape is going to be enough to overcome the downsides of their fragility.

Do you rate reavers? I bought some recently and they seem very, very expensive now. 30pts each and an eye watering 25 for each heat lance? Seems like they lost any punch they had in assault, and the units shooting besides the heat lances is contemptible. It's a lot to place into the hope of probably 5+ to wound a vehicle, with S6.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Soulfucker posted:

The top three Goon armies have always been Genestealer Cults, Iron Warriors, and Tyranids.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

Why the footslogging wracks unit? To take home objectives? Seems a bit out of place. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the wyches, as I'm not sure the coin flip of no escape is going to be enough to overcome the downsides of their fragility.

Do you rate reavers? I bought some recently and they seem very, very expensive now. 30pts each and an eye watering 25 for each heat lance? Seems like they lost any punch they had in assault, and the units shooting besides the heat lances is contemptible. It's a lot to place into the hope of probably 5+ to wound a vehicle, with S6.

A lot of this is me building what I can out of my 5th ed army, so I'm lacking in options. Reavers seemed like the best of the anaemic Fast Attack choices. Ideally I'd prefer some Incubi coming out of another Raider or possibly a Venom, but I don't own any.

The wracks filled the 3rd troop slot as cheaply as possible, although I suppose 5 warriors and a blaster might fit in there too although I'm not sure that's any better.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think hellions might be worth a try from the FA slots? I see your predicament with troops. Maybe cheaper FA choices would let you squeeze in a venom for whatever you pick?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

panascope posted:

The top three Goon armies have always been Genestealer Cults, Iron Warriors, and Tyranids.

One is the most spergy group of individuals in 40k, one is a mindless blob that follows the instincts of the biggest elements, and the last is a literal cult. Truly, the :goonsay: is strong.

E: Not you personally panascope, incidentally, just those choices.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Spoilers all of the armies are autistic :ssh:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a ton of details, but in a way details are a good thing. The less detail there is, the harder to paint the model well, because you gotta freehand stuff.

Those details, if you don't need them to each be their own color, just kinda help you. You can flat paint most of it, wash it, and then just add a few colors to the mix and you're done.

If you flat spray those rubrics with gold base paint, then wash them, all you have to do is paint the teal panels and you're pretty much done. Add some black and silver and some green on the guns and eyes and you're all the way home.

I love the new rubric sculpts :)

That's exactly what I done. I'm not a great painter, but I'm proud of how they turned out.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The new Thunderhawk is up for pre-order at £450

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Shockeh posted:

One is the most spergy group of individuals in 40k, one is a mindless blob that follows the instincts of the biggest elements, and the last is a literal cult. Truly, the :goonsay: is strong.

E: Not you personally panascope, incidentally, just those choices.

Didn't we used to play HoN together?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
My local club is doing an escalation thingy, starting at 500 points and going up in 500 point increments. I've got a fair amount of Chaos from either 2E days or stuff I picked up for painting, and 8E sounds like it might actually be fun to take part in.

Is this a good start?

This would then be changed up to

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

panascope posted:

Didn't we used to play HoN together?

Yes. I'm still around, mostly on DOTA, and I keep tabs on 40k despite not playing in years.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I'm late for Dimachaeron chat but w/e here's more pictures because they're rad and I hope they get nice rules just like the Haruspex seemingly did:

TheChirurgeon posted:

I hate the model, but this is a good paint job!

I thought the same thing at first, but having seen one up close I really, really prefer their lithe/athletic build over the bulkier Exocrine and Toxicrene chassis. Same with the Tyrannofex.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The dimachaeron is one of those models that looks better in real life than in pictures.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

chutche2 posted:

So, changes I made to the list:

Dropped the 5 vanguard to add 2 power fist terminators
Swapped the lascannon devastators for a vindicator
Add a jump pack to the captain

Don't have a third razorback so the heavy bolter devastators can stay for now. Librarian is getting replaced as soon as my copy of the astarted forgeworld index arrives.

Captain with master crafted boltgun, relic blade, jump pack (117)
Terminator librarian (161)

10 tactical marines with plasmagun, plasma cannon, combi flamer (175)
10 tactical marines with gravgun, missile launcher, combi flamer (181)
5 scouts with a heavy bolter (65)

5 assault marines with jump packs, eviscerator, melta bomb, 2 flamers (125)

Contemptor dreadnought with multimelta (167)
7 cataphractii terminators (Power sword, 2 chainfists, 2 power fists, 2 double lightning claws, 1 heavy flamer) (349)

Devastator squad with 4 heavy bolters and a storm bolter (107)
Predator with TL lascannon, 2 heavy bolters (172)
Vindicator with storm bolter (162)

Razorback with TL assault cannon and storm bolter (102)
Razorback with TL lascannon and storm bolter (117)

Is the plan for the Cataphractii to teleport in? Seems like a decent mix, of anti-infantry and anti-tank. That being said I'm unsure if maybe just dropping the wargear from the captian and keeping him in the back to reroll your long range stuff isn't a better plan.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 9, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Soulfucker posted:

Instinctive Behavior - Lurk

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Soulfucker posted:

I thought the same thing at first, but having seen one up close I really, really prefer their lithe/athletic build over the bulkier Exocrine and Toxicrene chassis. Same with the Tyrannofex.

Master Twig posted:

The dimachaeron is one of those models that looks better in real life than in pictures.

I just hate the pose--there's nothing particularly dynamic about it--and the twin scything talons on each arm just look silly to me, probably because they point outward like he's trying to flap them like wings. I agree that it looks much better in person, but it's really hard to find angles of it that make it look impressive imo. They went for a kind of leaping pose and just didn't get there.

I like the Exocrine, though--the bulkiness works for me as living artillery.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't think it's just this thread. I feel like nids are pretty high up in popularity, especially when it comes to their design and concepts. GW just has been making GBS threads on their rules repeatedly for several editions, because GW.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Uroboros posted:

Is the plan for the Cataphractii to teleport in? Seems like a decent mix, of anti-infantry and anti-tank. That being said I'm unsure if maybe just dropping the wargear from the captian and keeping him in the back to reroll your long range stuff isn't a better plan.

Personally I wonder how viable characters will be in general. I would expect the meta to quickly shift to snipers and other weapons capable of taking them out.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Personally I wonder how viable characters will be in general. I would expect the meta to quickly shift to snipers and other weapons capable of taking them out.

One of my concerns for 8E is that not everyone currently has options for snipers, which could end up becoming a big deal. There are some soft counters like The Horror, but if they do end up being a big thing it could leave a few armies trailing behind until a new codex addresses it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Two stupid questions from my first attempt at playing 8th yesterday:

Are Flamers stupid overpowered in the Overwatch part of the Charge phase? Normally you need to roll a 6 To Hit but Flamers say they Auto-Hit. I can't find anything that would modify that - it does say "irrespective of the firing model's Ballistic Skill or any modifiers", but auto-hitting isn't a modifier.

It seems easy to lock up vehicles with infantry now. If I charge a vehicle, on their next turn if they want to move they need to Fall Back and get at least 1" beyond my unit; if I've done a bit of damage and reduced its speed that's about impossible with smaller transports like a Rhino.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It may only work a tenth of the time, but I will always try to make up for GSC inability to field snipers by trying to mind control the heavy weapon in the squad closest to the enemy general.

Mortanis posted:

Are Flamers stupid overpowered in the Overwatch part of the Charge phase? Normally you need to roll a 6 To Hit but Flamers say they Auto-Hit. I can't find anything that would modify that - it does say "irrespective of the firing model's Ballistic Skill or any modifiers", but auto-hitting isn't a modifier.

Yep, flamers are great for overwatch. But remember, most flamers have a range of 8" and you check for range before firing. If you're charging from 9" away they don't do anything.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 9, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Plus once a unit is in melee they can't fire overwatch, so either by charging from 9" or just throwing a cheap unit at them you can basically lock that poo poo down.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mortanis posted:

Two stupid questions from my first attempt at playing 8th yesterday:

It seems easy to lock up vehicles with infantry now. If I charge a vehicle, on their next turn if they want to move they need to Fall Back and get at least 1" beyond my unit; if I've done a bit of damage and reduced its speed that's about impossible with smaller transports like a Rhino.

Flamers auto-hit in Overwatch. It's a big deal.

I can't speak to vehicles, but 6" is still a decent amount of movement. Granted if you wrap around it's a challenge, but I think that's intended.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

One of my concerns for 8E is that not everyone currently has options for snipers, which could end up becoming a big deal. There are some soft counters like The Horror, but if they do end up being a big thing it could leave a few armies trailing behind until a new codex addresses it.

The armies that lack sniper fire tend to be good at melee, so I guess the expectation is that you charge in and wreck everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Infantry wrapping vehicles is definitely a thing. I had a big blob of termagants completely shut down a land raider. They got an 11 inch charge when most of the unit was 2 to 5 inches away. Completely surrounded it. Held it off long enough for a Trygon to show up and eat it later.

• Locked thread