Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Help me out, Latika Bourke used to be a decent journalist, right? I'm not imagining that? I swear I remember her having credibility.

No, she was always about horse-race hot takes and never really got a grip on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

ewe2 posted:

No, she was always about horse-race hot takes and never really got a grip on anything.

She at least wrote OK stuff before this. But she quickly became the person that people would leak to because no one else liked her so she got stuff to wind the CPG up. She definitely wasn't this far up her own clacker back in the day. Moving to Fairfax really let her shine in that respect.

--------------------------------

https://twitter.com/MayneReport/status/873122952413192193

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

~~~~ waynes world style wiggly time jump 6 years from now ~~~~

Click the pic to see what future Caleb does.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ukip’s general secretary, Jonathan Arnott, is to resign over the weekend after the party’s disastrous performance in the general election, the Guardian understands.

Arnott, the Ukip MEP for the north-east of England, is understood to be unhappy that the party “victimised and demonised” Muslims in its rebranded integration policy.

He personally disagreed with Ukip’s burqa ban policy and thought other policies on female genital mutilation were “crass and ill-conceived” and delivered in a way that was “clumsy and blundering”.

His departure from the role of general secretary follows the resignation of the party leader, Paul Nuttall.

Arnott is to resign after the party’s national executive committee meeting on Monday but is expected to announce his decision in the next two days.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I haven't been following UK politics but apparently they've had another election?
Didn't they already have one back in 2015 what's going on :psyduck:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
May chucked a Turnbull and held a snap election to expand her mandate and got slapped for it.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Futuresight posted:

May chucked a Turnbull and held a snap election to expand her mandate and got slapped for it.

yeah but holding one 3 years early?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Look into my eyes and tell me you don't think Turnbull would have enough hubris in him to call an election 3 years early if he thought he smelled enough blood.

Do it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Caleb bond looks like the MAD Magazine head.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

yeah but holding one 3 years early?

Yes because of Brexit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lid posted:

Still think that it was Trump that ended the worlds flirtation with fascism. America died so we could live.

I'm coming to believe this as well. It's kinda insane.

Trump and his minions are just so ugly and hateful and incompetent that people are being repulsed from their bullshit. That and his Nixon speedrun attempt.

I'm starting to hope that the ugly lurch to the right the world has been going through since 2001 may finally be starting to adjust back to something less loving evil.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Look at these muppets having hope.

Always more, always worse.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why couldn't she have taken a redundancy?

To be fair to her, she's probably 1 in 3 Fairfax journalists who actu

Cleretic posted:

Help me out, Latika Bourke used to be a decent journalist, right? I'm not imagining that? I swear I remember her having credibility.

I've done a fair bit of work with Latika over the last few months, and I've concluded she's one of the good ones. From my POV, she actually knows what I mean when I tell her to stop moving. Which is seriously rare amongst the FFX journalists.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Seriously, if any journalist knows how to actually post on the web over the long weekend, they've done way more than expected of them. It's not going to last much longer. SMH and the Age are hosed

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

ShoeFly posted:

Seriously, if any journalist knows how to actually post on the web over the long weekend, they've done way more than expected of them. It's not going to last much longer. SMH and the Age are hosed

💩💩💩

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

ShoeFly posted:

I've done a fair bit of work with Latika over the last few months, and I've concluded she's one of the good ones. From my POV, she actually knows what I mean when I tell her to stop moving. Which is seriously rare amongst the FFX journalists.

:allbuttons:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

I haven't been following UK politics but apparently they've had another election?
Didn't they already have one back in 2015 what's going on :psyduck:

This is a good video about the UK election https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRWUu9WvyM

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

This is a good video about the UK election https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRWUu9WvyM

That is a good video about the UK election.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

This is very good indeed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cleretic posted:

There's no such thing as a decent Australia journalist, especially one who's task is to comment/critique on the political scene.

Holy poo poo Mayne has gone off the rails since his Crikey days. But as I have previously mentioned, he was an ex Liberal Staffer for Kennett, so it shouldn't be too surprising

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Sinn Fein are saying that DUP / Tory alliance breaks Good Friday agreement. I wonder if we can convince the IRA to bomb Abbott too.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

You Am I posted:

There's no such thing as a decent Australia journalist, especially one who's task is to comment/critique on the political scene.

greg jericho bithc

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bogan King posted:

Sinn Fein are saying that DUP / Tory alliance breaks Good Friday agreement. I wonder if we can convince the IRA to bomb Abbott too.
I was wondering about this too. It would completely vindicate any views that terrorism is actually being deliberately fostered by the right wing.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Who was that ISP that used to run a DC++ hub back in the day?

Pipenetworks and iinet.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

What happened to us, why is blatant cronyism and lying just accepted.

What previously would have destroyed candidates is now a daily occurance and im exhausted pointing at it and asking why is noone outraged, and why any outrage about it is ineffective.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Birdstrike posted:

greg jericho bithc

Yeah, one person.

Meanwhile the rest of the press gallery just parrots whatever the Coalition and occasionally what Labor says. When was the last time a political journo actually asked a politician uncomfortable questions about their portfolio? Why isn't Dutton being dragged through the mud with him running Concentration Camps in off shore locations? How the gently caress is the racist backwards views of that hellbeast Pauline Hanson still given oxygen in the media? Why are the youth the first to get a kicking by our politicians when it comes to budgets cuts and assistance programs, whereas Baby Boomers reap the benefits of our out of control property market? Why isn't Turnbull and Abbott being exposed for their constant lies? Why the gently caress are Murdoch's shitrags and feral right wing commentators able to set the agenda? Why aren't they being called out for their hosed up racist views? Why has the non-Murdoch media, with the exception for some independent media, become some toothless? Where's the left's version of Andrew Bolt?

And why

why

is anything that looks like it could be a social good, be it a raise in basic wage or higher taxes for the rich some sort of Communist plot?

gently caress the political situation in this country. gently caress the Liberal and Labor uni students who step out of their shithouse inward looking club houses straight into either a seat or staffer position in parliament without even getting exposed to the real world. gently caress the minority forcing the political agenda in this country - why when most Australians want same sex marriage and euthanasia we still have a tiny vocal fuckwit bunch stopping it?

gently caress :smith:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

She at least wrote OK stuff before this. But she quickly became the person that people would leak to because no one else liked her so she got stuff to wind the CPG up. She definitely wasn't this far up her own clacker back in the day. Moving to Fairfax really let her shine in that respect.

--------------------------------

https://twitter.com/MayneReport/status/873122952413192193

One of these things is not like the others ♪ one of these things doesn't belong ♪

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

You Am I posted:

Yeah, one person.

Meanwhile the rest of the press gallery just parrots whatever the Coalition and occasionally what Labor says. When was the last time a political journo actually asked a politician uncomfortable questions about their portfolio? Why isn't Dutton being dragged through the mud with him running Concentration Camps in off shore locations? How the gently caress is the racist backwards views of that hellbeast Pauline Hanson still given oxygen in the media? Why are the youth the first to get a kicking by our politicians when it comes to budgets cuts and assistance programs, whereas Baby Boomers reap the benefits of our out of control property market? Why isn't Turnbull and Abbott being exposed for their constant lies? Why the gently caress are Murdoch's shitrags and feral right wing commentators able to set the agenda? Why aren't they being called out for their hosed up racist views? Why has the non-Murdoch media, with the exception for some independent media, become some toothless? Where's the left's version of Andrew Bolt?

And why

why

is anything that looks like it could be a social good, be it a raise in basic wage or higher taxes for the rich some sort of Communist plot?

gently caress the political situation in this country. gently caress the Liberal and Labor uni students who step out of their shithouse inward looking club houses straight into either a seat or staffer position in parliament without even getting exposed to the real world. gently caress the minority forcing the political agenda in this country - why when most Australians want same sex marriage and euthanasia we still have a tiny vocal fuckwit bunch stopping it?

sorry bro we have to engage them on the racist talking points otherwise we'll lose ground

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

SMH posted:

Jeremy Corbyn's success leaves the ALP reflecting on way forward to next election

The success of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn at the UK election hasn't just left the British political class searching for answers.

Predicted to lead his party to a resounding defeat in the UK snap election, Mr Corbyn instead defied expectations, winning an additional 30 seats and sweeping away the ruling Tory party majority, forcing leader Theresa May into a coalition with the Democratic Unionist Party in order to stay in Downing Street.

His message of "for the many, not the few", as well as his unapologetic focus on generational inequality and service cuts has resonated with Australian Labor MPs, as the nation's major parties attempt to map out their paths to the next election.

The success of the Corbyn campaign has "huge lessons" for the ALP, according to Senator Sam Dastyari, who spent the last week volunteering in the UK election.

"But if we are lazy, we will take the wrong ones," he said. "It would be lazy and wrong to simply look at what worked superficially – a few slogans and stickers – and not look at the underlying causes."

Senator Dastyari said the lessons he took from the result was "everyone hates the political establishment and you can't be anti-establishment enough", a need for strong grassroots campaigning and authenticity.

"Standing for something will always beat standing for nothing – even if people aren't invested in what that something is," he said.

"People are desperate for conviction over empty platitudes."

But Senator Dastyari, who sits in the Labor right faction, doesn't believe that means his party should shift to the left, instead interpreting it as "having clear, firm positions".

Victorian Labor MP Andrew Giles also saw the need for conviction, taking to social media following the UK results with the message "hope, authenticity, and policies which respond directly to the challenges of inequality are the best antidote to cynical austerity".

Mr Giles wasn't the only left-wing Labor MP to praise Mr Corbyn's performance – Doug Cameron also highlighted his "progressive policies, a focus on tackling inequality and a commitment to fairness" in his message, while others co-oped the "for the many, not the few" slogan.

As did ALP leader Bill Shorten, who responded to the UK results on Friday with a warning to Malcolm Turnbull to "look at the popularity of that message in the context that he is giving a tax cut to a few millionaires and to a few multinationals and he's increasing taxes on the many".

On Saturday, he was still pondering that slogan – and how it related to his opponent.

"I think Mr Turnbull should look carefully at that message – Australians want to see governments delivering for them, not just the top end of town," he said.

However senior lecturer in politics at Monash University, Nick Economou, cautioned Australia's political parties from reacting too rashly in response to the UK result.

"The first thing that should always be said is while there are great similarities between the British political system and the Australian one, British elections are very different," he said.

"There you have optional voting not compulsory voting and you don't have preferential voting and we also don't have that strong third party system that we see in Britain.

"So, because of compulsory voting, because of how the electorate is structured, it would be very unwise for Australian Labor to take a lead from British Labour in how to tailor a message to the voters."

That's because Australia's elections are usually won by voters in the outer-urban and inner regional seats, Dr Economou said, who tend to be "more pragmatic".

However he did see a similarity between Mrs May's ill-fated campaign and the result of Mr Turnbull's double dissolution.

"Let's call it 'shooting-yourself-in-the-footism'," he said. "There is a sense that the people running politics in the centre, are not really in touch with the people who count."

Mr Turnbull is yet to comment on whether he sees any lessons from the UK result, but has left a message for Mrs May "passing on his congratulations", with a phone call scheduled between the two leaders for Saturday night.

In news that will shock exactly zero people the ALP has learned nothing at all.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
i_believe,_checks_notes.gif

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bogan King posted:

Labor right in wrong lesson shock.

I guess we can rule out change from without I guess the only option is change from withgndhsajfh

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

Yeah, one person.

And why

why

Finally snapped huh?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
"You can't be anti-establishment enough", said a right-leaning sitting senator of the major centre-left party.

What even are centre-right convictions? I believe strongly that other people who believe in things strongly are wrong and that the other side not being in power is important, but not as important as keeping the loving Greens out of power I swear to loving GOD if you young fucks vote Green this country will go to poo poo.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 10, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Graic Gabtar posted:

Finally snapped huh?

Watching the Frankie Boyle video just got me riled up when he talked about the media's part in the election in the UK. His words are so true

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Yup. Let me paraphrase what the ALP learned from the UK elections:

It would be very unwise for Australian Labor to tailor a message to the voters based around the principles of integrity and fairness that Corbyn consistently displayed.

Because Australian politics is so rotten to the core you'll never see a federal ICAC.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

Watching the Frankie Boyle video just got me riled up when he talked about the media's part in the election in the UK. His words are so true

I can appreciate what you're saying. Plenty of hosed up poo poo at the moment for people, particularly if you're young.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The public :commissar: Sen Destyari

You really seem incapable of learning.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kommando posted:

The public :commissar: Sen Destyari

You really seem incapable of learning.

NSW Labor Right, say no more. Faceless Men Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

You Am I posted:

gently caress the minority forcing the political agenda in this country - why when most Australians want same sex marriage and euthanasia we still have a tiny vocal fuckwit bunch stopping it?

On the bright side, Victoria seems pretty set to legalise euthanasia this year, so that's something at least.

• Locked thread