Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Fallout 4 sucking is my favorite little thing about it too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh my god I just managed the 64th story mission in American Wasteland (Manual between the 24 cones in one combo) and that was super hard, even with the 7 manual points I now have. I'm glad it's balancing me out by it's fairly chill "Do all the graffiti in all the areas and combine the styles" mission. That's pretty good pacing, I need to wind down with mild platforming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

One thing I always found really hilarious about Tony Hawk's Underground was that it does the usual tropey storyline about an athlete hitting it big and eventually learning to reject the world of hyper-commercialized professional sports...while being part of a series that is crammed to the gills with product placement and cross-promotion. THUG2 even had its entire storyline be a conspicuous tie-in to Jackass and have you palling around with Bam Margera and Wee Man and co while still having the story take potshots at the crass commercialization of skating.

Reminds me of Shaun White Skateboarding where the game's story is you fighting against "the man" and you do it uncovering billboards for Stride gum. Like, literal ads for gum and there's a trophy/achievement for doing it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Fallout 4 sucking is my favorite little thing about it too :)

Same.

I also like how Villagers in Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia have animations of running at an enemy and pulling a sword out to attack.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
re: Fallout chat, I think the simplicity of New Vegas' hook (dude shoots you in the head, find him and gently caress him up) is one of its biggest strengths because it both allows your character to be literally anything you want them to be (minus being a Courier with a bit of history with a couple characters), while also providing a broadly identifiable motivation--basically anyone can understand and get behind "vengeance on the person who shot you"

Also I loved the crafting and building in FO4. I hope Obsidian gets to make another Fallout, and I hope they use those new systems to their fullest potential. I'm sure they'd do something great with them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

Reminds me of Shaun White Skateboarding where the game's story is you fighting against "the man" and you do it uncovering billboards for Stride gum. Like, literal ads for gum and there's a trophy/achievement for doing it.

Also Sunset Overdrive, the story of fighting evil corporations with the power of punk attitude and memes brought to you by Microsoft.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh my god I just managed the 64th story mission in American Wasteland (Manual between the 24 cones in one combo) and that was super hard, even with the 7 manual points I now have. I'm glad it's balancing me out by it's fairly chill "Do all the graffiti in all the areas and combine the styles" mission. That's pretty good pacing, I need to wind down with mild platforming.

Never stop. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Figured I'd update y'all before bed - just done mission 71/95 on THAW. Found the skate park pieces in East LA were interesting enough to be kind of fun while also being easy enough to not be frustrating. After a few of the harder missions I was glad for a few easy tasks. The helicopter segment to get the couch was pretty cool too.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

4 outsold New Vegas so it obviously doesn't matter as much to most people.

Ah yes, video game sales figures, the ultimate mark of quality and a real source of insight into what people care about.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly for all of its good qualities I think New Vegas' intro kind of sucks. "Well, gently caress this Benny guy I guess. Something something platinum chip." didn't grip me as much as the vault stuff in 3 did. But that said, once you're past the intros things quickly reverse and NV largely feels better than 3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fallout 3's intro vault stuff is mostly tedious, and how it handled its radiation plot was bad. The original Fallout does a good job of giving you an objective and dropping out into the world to get stuff done. Maybe have character creation and then you wake up because someone used Vault-Tec toxin to poison the vault and you have to get out and find an antidote at a Vault Tec lab before everyone dies. Then you can shoot that dick if you feel like it or maybe fall in with him when he sells you on his murder-is-fun philosophy. Forget those vault dorks, we've got a wasteland to conquer!

edit: Keep something like the GOAT but have it be a Vault Tec CV where you detail stuff you've actually done in the vault leading up the present day. Have some flavorful responses like how, when the nutrient extruder acted up and a riot broke out, you were the first to resort to cannibalism until a nutrient extruder chip was found. Free Perk!

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Jun 8, 2017

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Because this is the little things thread rather than the bitching thread.

My favourite little thing about Fallout New Vegas is how it handled 'radioactive water'- in that large bodies of water weren't radioactive at all. Contrast this with 3's radioactive ocean, which doesn't loving work if you have a high-school education's idea of how radiation works.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

berenzen posted:

My favourite little thing about Fallout New Vegas is how it handled 'radioactive water'- in that large bodies of water weren't radioactive at all. Contrast this with 3's radioactive ocean, which doesn't loving work if you have a high-school education's idea of how radiation works.

Fallout basically works on comic book science, with atomic death rays and nuclear powered cars. Radioactive oceans are a minor thing.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It bugs me to no end though. Because it's loving stupid.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i think the drive-in theater in fo3 was cool if only for the fact that i can chain minor nuclear explosions there by detonating one car.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The exploding car wrecks are actually one of my favourite little things in the newer Fallout games. They seem to have a tendency to go off at the coolest / funniest moments.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

berenzen posted:

It bugs me to no end though. Because it's loving stupid.

Supermutants and all the various mutated fauna are okay but radioactive water? Too far man!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

Supermutants and all the various mutated fauna are okay but radioactive water? Too far man!

Well all the mutants aren't due to radiation like you'd expect from a setting that otherwise loves the pulpy comic style radiation. Those happened due to a genetic engineering virus.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

berenzen posted:

Are oceans too big to become irradiated? We never talked about radiation in high school, aside from a small bit about Three Mile Island in history.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I assume oceans are big enough to dilute radioactive material to the point that it's a non issue but it seems weird to get hung up on

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Are oceans too big to become irradiated? We never talked about radiation in high school, aside from a small bit about Three Mile Island in history.

Basically, radiation is emitted from radioactive material. What makes it dangerous is sheer quantity of radioactive material emitting alpha/beta/gamma particles. You put radioactive material in water and it will either a) dilute across the ocean to a point where the material is measures in parts per trillion- less than the radioactive material that would occur naturally in your own body.; or B) it falls to the bottom of the ocean if it's a large chunk, and water blocks radioactivity very well.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Breath of the Wild might be the first open world RPG that really knows what it's good at.

I mean compare it to Elder Scrolls. Both engines are pretty good at simulating flight, but neither one is set up at all to simulate the social consequences of murder. So, in BOTW, you can fly a little, but you can't murder everyone. But in Oblivion, you can murder anyone and everyone, because it's easy for the designers to plop combat stats on anybody, but you can;'t fly because they hid load times in the zone transitions or something. Like they didn't make design decisions so much as make more stuff until they hit some limit of time or complexity that made the decisions for them. (if i had worked on the game i would read that and be like "gently caress you, do you have ANY idea how hard it was to do this and this and this," but, i didn't)

it's kinda like the original Zelda vs, idk what was the big PC RPG then, Bard's Tale? Zelda looks like an unsophisticated kids' toy next to it, at first.

But what's the challenge in the Bard's Tale? There's mapping, which you have to do by hand, and there's fighting, which you do by exchanging different types of points for each other at different rates. The numerical world of the game is almost fully closed. The only thing that (slooooowly) adds more points to the system is the amount of time, time subtracted from your real, only life, which you feed into the game by doing tasks that you can only really fail by trying to race ahead of the ultra-drawn-out power curve.

Is that fun? Not to me i guess. That sounds like selling Mary Kay to my own computer.

Zelda is made of fewer and simpler parts, but each one's at an angle to the rest that multiplies their depth. It's basically dodgeball + exploration, you guide your guy to the goal while avoiding the moving hitboxes. Even if it were just that, each new room layout and each differently-moving enemy would add a lot to it-- like, oh poo poo this guy can teleport, this guy changes directions at random, this guy can cross obstacles I can't. But then you get the sword and you can make your own hitbox. Then you get a hitbox you can throw but it doesnt kill the enemies, only makes them pause for a second. Then you get a hitbox you can leave behind on a timer. Then you get a hitbox you can spend points to shoot. Then you get etc. etc. you see what I mean? There's a lot of lock-and-key type items but there's also a lot of moving pieces that interact in cool ways.

tldr: the parachute glider thing in zelda is cool

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

swamp waste posted:

Breath of the Wild might be the first open world RPG that really knows what it's good at.

I mean compare it to Elder Scrolls. Both engines are pretty good at simulating flight, but neither one is set up at all to simulate the social consequences of murder. So, in BOTW, you can fly a little, but you can't murder everyone. But in Oblivion, you can murder anyone and everyone, because it's easy for the designers to plop combat stats on anybody, but you can;'t fly because they hid load times in the zone transitions or something. Like they didn't make design decisions so much as make more stuff until they hit some limit of time or complexity that made the decisions for them. (if i had worked on the game i would read that and be like "gently caress you, do you have ANY idea how hard it was to do this and this and this," but, i didn't)

it's kinda like the original Zelda vs, idk what was the big PC RPG then, Bard's Tale? Zelda looks like an unsophisticated kids' toy next to it, at first.

But what's the challenge in the Bard's Tale? There's mapping, which you have to do by hand, and there's fighting, which you do by exchanging different types of points for each other at different rates. The numerical world of the game is almost fully closed. The only thing that (slooooowly) adds more points to the system is the amount of time, time subtracted from your real, only life, which you feed into the game by doing tasks that you can only really fail by trying to race ahead of the ultra-drawn-out power curve.

Is that fun? Not to me i guess. That sounds like selling Mary Kay to my own computer.

Zelda is made of fewer and simpler parts, but each one's at an angle to the rest that multiplies their depth. It's basically dodgeball + exploration, you guide your guy to the goal while avoiding the moving hitboxes. Even if it were just that, each new room layout and each differently-moving enemy would add a lot to it-- like, oh poo poo this guy can teleport, this guy changes directions at random, this guy can cross obstacles I can't. But then you get the sword and you can make your own hitbox. Then you get a hitbox you can throw but it doesnt kill the enemies, only makes them pause for a second. Then you get a hitbox you can leave behind on a timer. Then you get a hitbox you can spend points to shoot. Then you get etc. etc. you see what I mean? There's a lot of lock-and-key type items but there's also a lot of moving pieces that interact in cool ways.

tldr: the parachute glider thing in zelda is cool

Your time has expired, Senator McCain

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

Ah yes, video game sales figures, the ultimate mark of quality and a real source of insight into what people care about.

People are arguing about why one of the biggest game companies on earth chooses to develop one of the biggest franchises in modern gaming one way or another, sales figures seem like a pretty good reason for them to make that choice since they're a corporation trying to maximize their profit and all. And yeah, it does seem pretty sensible to think that how many people buy a game is a good measure of how many people care about it?

Len posted:

See also: the No Mutants Allowed crowd being outraged about the atomic cars in Fallout 3 exploding in tiny mushroom clouds because it's unrealistic. Unlike such grounded hard sci-fi as radiation making giant monsters, talking intelligent Deathclaws, time machines, Time Lords, and magic briefcases that can turn deserts into forests.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I mean it was irradiated ocean or giant mutant sharks who eat you if you go out too much.

Actually that'd be pretty baller.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

See also: the No Mutants Allowed crowd being outraged about the atomic cars in Fallout 3 exploding in tiny mushroom clouds because it's unrealistic.

This is the most damning thing I've ever heard of a group.

Guy Mann posted:

People are arguing about why one of the biggest game companies on earth chooses to develop one of the biggest franchises in modern gaming one way or another, sales figures seem like a pretty good reason for them to make that choice since they're a corporation trying to maximize their profit and all. And yeah, it does seem pretty sensible to think that how many people buy a game is a good measure of how many people care about it?

Yeah, the video game industry is still an industry, and sales are the only numbers they're gonna pay attention to at the end of the day.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
On the other hand you have poo poo like metal gear solids 2 though 4 where the least popular one has about 2 million more sales than the most popular one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Abhorrence posted:

On the other hand you have poo poo like metal gear solids 2 though 4 where the least popular one has about 2 million more sales than the most popular one.

sounds like the one that sold 2 million more would be the most popular one

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Brother Entropy posted:

sounds like the one that sold 2 million more would be the most popular one

Nope that would be Metal Gear Solid 2, A game that is fairly unambiguous about how you, the player, are a loser. People really didn't like it and people bought it because they wanted MGS1 again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
MGS2 predicted the internet

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Guy Mann posted:

Also Sunset Overdrive, the story of fighting evil corporations with the power of punk attitude and memes brought to you by Microsoft.

Sunset Overdrive is like the antithesis of Saints Row 2. In SR2 it's a fairly straight story with the bizarre/zany/"punk rock" elements brought about by the player themselves. SO on the other hand is just SO loving WHACKY GUY! WE'RE NOT LIKE THOSE OTHER DULLARD GAMES! LOOK, IT'S KING BUZZO FROM THE MELVINS! WHOOOOOAAAH... Oh, but also on a serious note... Capitalism is bad. Ok?

In its defence the gameplay and traversing the city was fun as heck. Just a shame it was written by a 5 year old.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The stupid crafting and building in F4 ruined it. I will never play it again.

The settlement building in FO4 is completely optional and extremely good.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Rough Lobster posted:

The settlement building in FO4 is completely optional and extremely good.

I would have liked it better if there were was more flat ground. Having housing slightly flying off against the ground drives me nuts.
I think the coolest settlements though are the ones that are big destroyed houses because to make it livable you essentially have to give it a home make over.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Abhorrence posted:

Nope that would be Metal Gear Solid 2, A game that is fairly unambiguous about how you, the player, are a loser.
This is false.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

MGS2 predicted the internet

MGS2 predicted the current state of the world.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Metal Gear Rising predicted the most recent presidential election down to the catchphrase and self-aggrandizing populist lunatic candidate.

On another completely and totally unrelated note, are cyborg ninjas a thing? And if not, is there a kickstarter we can donate to in order to push development along?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

For all its faults NeiR:Automata still has a fantastic soundtrack. Between Voice of NO Return and the great Dark Colossus remix there's just so many good tracks in here of all kinds.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

MiddleOne posted:

For all its faults NeiR:Automata still has a fantastic soundtrack. Between Voice of NO Return and the great Dark Colossus remix there's just so many good tracks in here of all kinds.

I didn't feel it had a lot of faults though? It was my understanding that it's basically a critical darling. The music is completely amazing though I agree.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

scarycave posted:

I would have liked it better if there were was more flat ground. Having housing slightly flying off against the ground drives me nuts.
I think the coolest settlements though are the ones that are big destroyed houses because to make it livable you essentially have to give it a home make over.

You could put down concrete slabs or raised wooden tiers that could clip through the floor quite a bit to make it seem like it was on a raised foundation. One of the funnest things I felt was creating plausible looking structures. I remember being very creative with fence posts and other things to make supports.

Plus, it was awesome putting down a bunch of spotlights, laser and missile turrets in good locations and watching them shred invading Super Mutants who are trying to kill your dirt farmers. Also the dirt farmers aren't matching thematically appropriate matching outfits and wielding the powerful weapons that you'd collected tons of in your travels.

Of all the things wrong with FO4 they got a lot right with settlements and I can't wait to see what the next Elder Scrolls game will do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Rough Lobster posted:

You could put down concrete slabs or raised wooden tiers that could clip through the floor quite a bit to make it seem like it was on a raised foundation. One of the funnest things I felt was creating plausible looking structures. I remember being very creative with fence posts and other things to make supports.

Plus, it was awesome putting down a bunch of spotlights, laser and missile turrets in good locations and watching them shred invading Super Mutants who are trying to kill your dirt farmers. Also the dirt farmers aren't matching thematically appropriate matching outfits and wielding the powerful weapons that you'd collected tons of in your travels.

Of all the things wrong with FO4 they got a lot right with settlements and I can't wait to see what the next Elder Scrolls game will do with it.

I just mostly ended up making human chicken coops for everybody and just crammed them with sleeping bags.
I think Sanctuary is the only place where I actually use the fully complete houses you can build.