Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

It's Dr. Alan Grant they are melding the MCU with the Jurassic Park universe and it turns out it was Sauron that made all the JP dinos.

What a waste, he could have cured cancer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe he's playing BETA RAY BILL. I keep seeing online that he's pretty much confirmed to be in the movie, but nothing official even mentions him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh yeah, another wonky plot thing about Wonder Woman that I forgot earlier:

Ludendorff sends some agents to accost Steve and Diana. They get their asses kicked, as you do. Then one of them bites a cyanide tablet rather than allow himself to be captured or interrogated.

But...there are still several other unconscious agents lying right there, ready and available for capture and interrogation!

What even happens to them? Were the police called? Did Diana and Steve just leave them there?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe he's playing BETA RAY BILL. I keep seeing online that he's pretty much confirmed to be in the movie, but nothing official even mentions him.

First I've heard of it. Beta Ray Bill would require more than a little setup, and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to put him in the movie if he can't jack Mjolnir.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

haitfais posted:

First I've heard of it. Beta Ray Bill would require more than a little setup, and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to put him in the movie if he can't jack Mjolnir.

I looked around some more and its based on Stormbringer is on display at Disneyland. Now that's stretching it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
It'll turn out that Stormbringer is a first attempt at replacing Mjolnir, ultimately discarded in favour of AXEHAMMER (which will be renamed Jarnbjorn for brand synergy.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He was in AoU after that.
God remember how they took all the characterization that happened to Fury in WS and completely tossed in AOU, it was like Joss didn't even watch the movie.

Havoc904 posted:

Did anyone ever figure out what role Sam Neill is playing in the new Thor movie?
I'm either going with Surtur or as a homeless man hanging out with Odin.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 9, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, this sucks. I really didn't want to be the guy who's down on Wonder Woman, but I saw it and it's... okay. No Man's Land was pretty good, but I really don't get the hype for the rest of it. The thing that stuck out the most to me that I didn't see brought up before (or I just missed it if it was) is how choppily edited a lot of the fight scenes were. They didn't flow well at all.

I'm kinda bummed, it was a bit of a letdown to be honest.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Arist posted:

Man, this sucks. I really didn't want to be the guy who's down on Wonder Woman, but I saw it and it's... okay. No Man's Land was pretty good, but I really don't get the hype for the rest of it. The thing that stuck out the most to me that I didn't see brought up before (or I just missed it if it was) is how choppily edited a lot of the fight scenes were. They didn't flow well at all.

I'm kinda bummed, it was a bit of a letdown to be honest.

I think it comes from different expectations. Lots of folks were worried about this being Yet Another DC Movie, while you were coming after hearing all the hype. I agree that it's okay, a strong, solid 8 for me. I think most fight scenes went pretty well, tho, like a couple of bits were kinda choppy in the town liberation, but the majority was really cool.

There's a lot of dumb things in the third act, but it's the first one that annoys me a tad because of the pacing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arist posted:

Man, this sucks. I really didn't want to be the guy who's down on Wonder Woman, but I saw it and it's... okay. No Man's Land was pretty good, but I really don't get the hype for the rest of it.

I think most of the hype is based on its departure from the established tone of the previous DC movies. It's not phenomenal, it's a pretty good comic book movie (probably on par with Captain America), and it doesn't really try to be much more than that. Whether you like them or not, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman had loftier ambitions. If you thought they succeeded, they were elevated by those ambitions, if not, they were bogged down.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt a lot of the problems stemmed from both DC house style and general action movie style today. They always have the showdown where they have to get the thing, or push a button or close a portal or something else. Which is no different than in the 80s where the hero had to assault the villains fortress and shoot him and then Sammy Hagar plays while he hugs his daughter and the woman he has some connection with at the end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought Wonder Woman's ending suffered from the same problem as Batman v Superman, where everything just descended into a flaming, CGI maelstrom boss fight whether the movie needed it or not. Diana's whole battle against Aries seemed to actively work against the message of the film, that divine intervention isn't necessary for people to be horrible. It felt shoehorned in because "superhero movies have to end in a boss battle".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Diana's whole battle against Aries seemed to actively work against the message of the film, that divine intervention isn't necessary for people to be horrible.

That's not really true.

The Germans surrender after Ares falls because they were already preparing to, and lost their last general since the rest were gassed. The nearby German soldiers do seem to recover from some kind of Ares control but he says himself he didn't make the war happen.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe he's playing BETA RAY BILL.

The world's ready for this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Oh yeah, another wonky plot thing about Wonder Woman that I forgot earlier:

Ludendorff sends some agents to accost Steve and Diana. They get their asses kicked, as you do. Then one of them bites a cyanide tablet rather than allow himself to be captured or interrogated.

But...there are still several other unconscious agents lying right there, ready and available for capture and interrogation!

What even happens to them? Were the police called? Did Diana and Steve just leave them there?

Maybe he was the leader, and he just hired local thugs for backup? It would be easier then sending 6 people all at once to England from Germany. I don't remember if any of the others spoke, let alone also had a German accent.

That, or Wonder Woman gave no fucks, she just wanted to get to the war.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

That's not really true.

The Germans surrender after Ares falls because they were already preparing to, and lost their last general since the rest were gassed. The nearby German soldiers do seem to recover from some kind of Ares control but he says himself he didn't make the war happen.

Those Germans weren't preparing to surrender, they were preparing to prolong the war. Aries says he didn't control anyone, but the film almost immediately belies that by having those Germans do a complete 180°. They could have avoided that by simply having them surrender out of awe of Diana, who they just saw murder a literal god. That wouldn't have fixed the silly CGI fight scene, but it would have helped keep the film's message clear.

Ideally, Aries wouldn't have been in the film at all. Or he would have turned up to say "I didn't do any of this, it's all on them."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RE WW: I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that it featured the real life Field Marshall Erich Ludendorff and killed him off when he's someone who died of natural causes in 1937 IRL.

Hardly a big deal, but it's a bit weird when that kind of thing happens.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Steve Trevor seeing that sword sticking through the roof of the guard tower was fuckin great though.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
loving poo poo the photoshop on that Black Panther poster :stare:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Race Realists posted:

Username/AV + Post combo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also the trailer apparently drops during the basketball game tonight.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Steve Trevor seeing that sword sticking through the roof of the guard tower was fuckin great though.

That was a really cool shot.

Phylodox posted:

Those Germans weren't preparing to surrender, they were preparing to prolong the war. Aries says he didn't control anyone, but the film almost immediately belies that by having those Germans do a complete 180°. They could have avoided that by simply having them surrender out of awe of Diana, who they just saw murder a literal god. That wouldn't have fixed the silly CGI fight scene, but it would have helped keep the film's message clear.

Ideally, Aries wouldn't have been in the film at all. Or he would have turned up to say "I didn't do any of this, it's all on them."

I mean I guess it's an easy cop out, but I really took their expressions to mean more "I'm so loving happy to at least be alive. I mean you saw that flaming metal dude floating around right?" I didn't really like having Ares as a final boss though. Dr. Poison should have had a bigger part and played more into the ending. She felt like a non-entity.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Race Realists posted:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess I'm the only person who really liked Ares at the end. Thewlis hams it up spectacularly and he's got such a great voice for supervillain theatrics. I thought him floating around in his British rear end clothes and mustache was pretty threatening and his armored form was perfectly over the top comic book villain. I'll grant the fight could have probably been trimmed a bit, and I'm a tiny bit disappointed Diana didn't form a sword out of Zeus' lightning and kill him with that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought the villains in Wonder Woman overall were just underwhelming nonentities, really. Maybe not Christopher Eccleston in The Dark World (although at least he had a really interesting aesthetic), but pretty close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'd wager that the only real thing in that entire image is his head.

purple death ray posted:

I guess I'm the only person who really liked Ares at the end. Thewlis hams it up spectacularly and he's got such a great voice for supervillain theatrics. I thought him floating around in his British rear end clothes and mustache was pretty threatening and his armored form was perfectly over the top comic book villain. I'll grant the fight could have probably been trimmed a bit, and I'm a tiny bit disappointed Diana didn't form a sword out of Zeus' lightning and kill him with that.

The CG was a little shaky but it was a perfectly good and fun end boss battle.

One of my customers is obsessed with the Chris Pine dick scene and it ruined the film for him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'd wager that the only real thing in that entire image is his head.

The CG was a little shaky but it was a perfectly good and fun end boss battle.

One of my customers is obsessed with the Chris Pine dick scene and it ruined the film for him.

If your customer can't stop thinking about Chris Pine's above-average dick that isn't really the movie's fault.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe above-average dick was one of the casting call requirements for Captain Kirk.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

There was a really dumb article on io9/Gizmodo/whatever that argued that Chris Pine/Steve could not be "above average" because he could cover it with one hand. I wish I was lying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On the one hand it's a lovely photoshopped poster but on the other

https://twitter.com/abrahamjoseph/status/873184719667474432

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Movie posters tend to be poo poo, and that's probably one of the better ones, mostly due to the reference.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The actual execution of the poster is pretty poo poo, but the idea is solid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They really should have had him have his mask on(gently caress it mask off) his head partially and at an angle if they really wanted to make that reference.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Watch it be a huge coincidence and Marvel pulls the poster once they realize it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That really seems like a stretch to me. Other than the fact that they're both sitting in chairs I'm really not seeing the resemblance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

That really seems like a stretch to me. Other than the fact that they're both sitting in chairs I'm really not seeing the resemblance

Yeah, it is two scenes of people sitting, but they're not framed or posed similarly. Calling it a reference feels a bit unlikely to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Death of the author! Death of the author!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really shocked anyone thought the final fight in WW was decent. It was yet another interminable CGI punch fest and those are never any good.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Arist posted:

I'm really shocked anyone thought the final fight in WW was decent. It was yet another interminable CGI punch fest and those are never any good.

I think this one was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arist posted:

Interminable CGI punch fears are extremely my thing so I loved it.

• Locked thread