Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

aware of dog posted:

Trump's attorney misspelled "president" in his response to Comey's testimony. They absolutely are that stupid.

This greatly disappoints me. I've been watching "Better Call Saul" in which a central plot point is a crazy lawyer getting driven even more crazy by someone gaslighting him that he made one simple transposition error in a huge document. This led me to believe that lawyers are pretty OCD. Reality, as usual, disappoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

morcant posted:

Yeah, uh, my understanding was since it wasn't classified in any way...they can't...really do anything??

They aren't really doing anything, because they know they can't. Filing a "complaint" is about as limp-wristed as one can imagine.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Chances of Comey seeking employment in the Federal Government again: zero. Both parties really hate him right now. The Democrats for blowing the election at the last minute, the Republicans for calling Trump a liar under oath.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, Comey lost his job in a manner that has assured him about 50,000 better offers in the private sector. Ironically, getting fired by Trump may have saved his career rather than dooming it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, Comey lost his job in a manner that has assured him about 50,000 better offers in the private sector. Ironically, getting fired by Trump may have saved his career rather than dooming it.

I think his memoirs will sell quite well if he can write them fast enough to come out before Trump is yesterday's news.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Alter Ego posted:

...and the help he gave Trump, by humiliating anyone purveying the Russia narrative, has certainly earned him that reward.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alter Ego posted:

We don't. It's just infuriating to see these dead-end assholes somehow spin this poo poo into their own universe of protective "alternative facts". You just want SOMETHING to puncture the bubble.

Like, the bubble is punctured, poo poo is spraying out of all the holes out nonstop, fox news went from 1th most popular to 4th most popular news network, britebart lost like half it's hits per month, sean is quasi-fired, kelly anne is moved into a vault at the bottom of the sea or something, trump is disapproved by 2/3rds of americans and 20+% of his own party 4 months into his term, the_donald claims a million users but can't get 24,000 people to click a link, 4chan seems totally against him now.

Like these catch phrases aren't working, the republican media machine is not working, the tweets aren't working. It's been a disaster for them. They can make "LEAKER" a meme and like it'll get repeated by some small number of fanatics but so what? The republican narrative machine is the weekest it's been basically in modern history.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Alter Ego posted:

I also imagine a former FBI director can find plenty of work as a defense attorney representing FBI targets

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

BarbarianElephant posted:

This greatly disappoints me. I've been watching "Better Call Saul" in which a central plot point is a crazy lawyer getting driven even more crazy by someone gaslighting him that he made one simple transposition error in a huge document. This led me to believe that lawyers are pretty OCD. Reality, as usual, disappoints.

I don't proofread very much but I at least use spell check

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I have to admit I'm saddened by the fact that nobody asked Comey if Trump had moved on him like a bitch.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

EwokEntourage posted:

I don't proofread very much but I at least use spell check

I guess it's just hard to concentrate on typing when an angry orang-utan is breathing down your neck.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

I guess it's just hard to concentrate on typing when an angry orang-utan is breathing down your neck.

There's also a good chance he's still using whatever word processor he first learned to us. For example, a lot of federal judges still use old version of word perfect, and I swear some type them in notepad

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Broccoli Cat posted:

...and the help he gave Trump, by humiliating anyone purveying the Russia narrative, has certainly earned him that reward.

What the gently caress are you talking about? That's literally the opposite of what he did yesterday.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alter Ego posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? That's literally the opposite of what he did yesterday.

Yeah, what?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I bet Trump really had nothing to do with Russia collusion and everything he's done suggesting it is really just his insecurity and need for total control asserting itself. Like, he has no logical reason to be worried, but his personality disorder drives him to demand absolute loyalty and to see any question about him as an attack.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

I'm not sure what the absolute bottom even is for a Republican at this point. Trump's like 34% approval now, Nixon's floor was like 25%, but that was a long time ago.

That was also before the real nationalization of the parties, so the real die-hard base was smaller.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm deeply troubled by the fact that Trump can hire a new director of the FBI before the investigation is over. I mean, the special investigator thing should insulate pretty well, right? It's just hosed up that he can fire someone for personal gain and then hire that person's replacement in such an important position. There's no way anyone he hires isn't compromised, right? Trump would certainly talk to them and become assured that the new person had no intentions of following up on the Russia stuff. This becomes problematic if FBI agents are needed to help in the investigation and their new director doesn't like that. I know this is rambly but it's bothering me.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Well drat, the Comey trial came and went, he basically said 'Trump did Obstruction of Justice', and Congress just goes 'eh, he's still learning'

Cheeto Mousillini ain't going nowhere till 2020, might as well get used to it :cry:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

There's also a good chance he's still using whatever word processor he first learned to us. For example, a lot of federal judges still use old version of word perfect, and I swear some type them in notepad

Word Perfect is the standard for lawyers in the US, because it is a monstrous profession that needs arcana and chicanery to keep their secrets out of the hands of the common man.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hanales posted:

But it's his permanent record!

This is true. It will be on his permanent record, right next to a link to every video he's ever been in essentially saying Trump, a sitting president, is some kind of maniac (in not so many words).

Like I'd hire him in a heartbeat. He made a bad call that he regrets in terms of the Emails thing, but when presented with Donald his very reasonable response was "Well, this isn't going to end well. "

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

I also imagine a former FBI director can find plenty of work as a defense attorney representing FBI targets

I think he's more likely to just retire. Maybe not, I guess, but he's literally been on the prosecutor side of the law his entire career.

Honestly, I hope he just lays low for a few years and get quietly nominated as the deputy attorney general in the next administration.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 9, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good job Trump and Co., your actions against Comey are only going to unite the normally feuding intelligence agencies into a Megazoird-al hate-boner aimed straight at you.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

beejay posted:

I'm deeply troubled by the fact that Trump can hire a new director of the FBI before the investigation is over. I mean, the special investigator thing should insulate pretty well, right? It's just hosed up that he can fire someone for personal gain and then hire that person's replacement in such an important position. There's no way anyone he hires isn't compromised, right? Trump would certainly talk to them and become assured that the new person had no intentions of following up on the Russia stuff. This becomes problematic if FBI agents are needed to help in the investigation and their new director doesn't like that. I know this is rambly but it's bothering me.

Preet for FBI director, imo.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Parrotine posted:

Well drat, the Comey trial came and went, he basically said 'Trump did Obstruction of Justice', and Congress just goes 'eh, he's still learning'

Cheeto Mousillini ain't going nowhere till 2020, might as well get used to it :cry:

this is a stupid worthless post, take your "nothing matters" poo poo to GBS

it has been around 24 hours since the comey hearing, what exactly did you expect to happen in that time frame.

(also it's spelled "mussolini")

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I don't know that the relentlessly honest schtick lends itself well to defense work, even though that's the usual route. My guess is he'll get work leading "independent investigations" for companies and/or being a trustee like Louis Freeh did.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Chilichimp posted:

I think he's more likely to just retire. Maybe not, I guess, but he's literally been on the prosecutor side of the law his entire career.

Honestly, I hope he just laws low for a few years and get quietly nominated as the deputy attorney general in the next administration.

He's only 56, and seems to be in perfect health, so I sincerely doubt he'd retire. I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity in the private sector - there usually is for ex-political types.

His bridges are burned with both parties.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

beejay posted:

In theory this is why the President's nominee has to be confirmed by congress. In practice that particular check may not be balanced these days.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/873184420630601728

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rigel posted:

AJC poll of likely voters this morning (Atlanta's newspaper)

Ossoff 51 (+7)
Handel 44

Ossoff has a solid majority among young voters, Handel has a narrow lead on voters over 65. 13% of Republicans and 50% of independents are with Ossoff. Only 3% of brain-damaged democrats are with Handel.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/09/ajc-poll-ossoff-opens-lead-over-handel-in-georgias-6th/

quote:

The findings show Ossoff has an enormous lead over Handel among women, leading 60-34. The Republican is beating Ossoff among male voters by a 52-41 margin. He has a solid advantage over Handel among younger voters, while she has a slim majority of voters who are over 65.

So that first part is interesting to me.

GA-06 is 72% white. 53% of white women voters went for Trump nationally. But Ossoff has a huge lead among women while Handel has the big lead among men. I'd be interested to see the county and race are affecting those numbers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

beejay posted:

Presumably the special prosecutor has been getting statements from all those candidates who interviewed with Trump and left after ten minutes.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Parrotine posted:

a) That was an open hearing not a trial
b) We aren't banking on impeachment to happen before the 2018 congressional elections, and even then it's questionable unless democrats win literally every seat
c) This all continues to damage Trump

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
has this hot take by noted first-rate shithead alan dershowitz been posted?

quote:

Legal expert Alan Dershowitz reminded everyone that President Trump could have just pardoned former national security advisor Michael Flynn and stopped the FBI's investigation into Flynn's conversations with the Russian ambassador.

"The president has the authority to direct the head of the FBI to stop investigating anyone," Dershowitz stated on "Your World" today. "I've been saying this for months."

"I think this puts an end to any claim that President Trump obstructed justice. You can't obstruct justice by simply exercising your power under the Constitution," he added.

President Trump could have used his executive privilege to prevent Comey from testifying as well as pardon Flynn, but he opted to allow him to testify.

:rolleye:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

It's like reading my mom's texts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Gonna go down the Pizza Hut and buy me some pizza. CHEESE!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

I think Comey just loving killed it for anyone who bothered watching that.

Republicans have semantics and weak-rear end hand-waving to combat what is essentially the devastation of whatever reputation Trump had.

He fired Comey to take pressure off himself and found himself with a special prosecutor and the greatest character witness against him I think that has ever existed... and most of the country tuned in to watch or listen.

The testimony won't change many republicans minds, but this is primo voter suppression stuff. Republican voters will likely become frustrated with the lack of real achievements and the pain of constant cognitive dissonance. The Republicans are TRYING TO FORCE THE AHCA THROUGH THE SENATE RIGHT NOW. This isn't political suicide, but repealing obamacare is the only way to save themselves at this point... but the gamble is massive and likely to blow up in their faces.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Parrotine posted:

Did you expect Republicans to suddenly turn on Trump? I think your expectations were a little off.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well it IS Friday, he barely has any energy left. He needs to go golfing to replenish his essence, juices and minerals.

That or the dementia really is kicking in.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

has this hot take by noted first-rate shithead alan dershowitz been posted?

:rolleye:

lol, nice job Alan, except there is literal legal precedent that exercising your legal power to protect yourself from prosecution is NOT LEGAL.

edit:

This exact, dumb thing was discussed in the hearing yesterday. Was I the only one who heard that?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

He's only 56, and seems to be in perfect health, so I sincerely doubt he'd retire. I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity in the private sector - there usually is for ex-political types.

His bridges are burned with both parties.

He's also worth millions in his own right so he's under no pressure to work for work. He can probably wait for a prestigious gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gort posted:

Gonna go down the Pizza Hut and buy me some pizza. CHEESE!

I'm gonna want some cocktail. FRUIT!

• Locked thread