Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The guy who bent the pulley is now saying maybe it's not too bad and he thinks he can use the press to fix it.

Jesus Christ.

For today's extra content, ve have this pulley. It may look harmless, but it is bent and may ah-tak at any time, so ve must deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This place came highly recommended too.

Mazda doesn't have an individual part number for this pulley which makes finding it quite difficult.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Blaise posted:

^^ why would you split that from the car??

So someone else with this color car who cares ($$) more about a hardtop can have it mated to their car?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

For today's extra content, ve have this pulley. It may look harmless, but it is bent and may ah-tak at any time, so ve must deal with it.

So good.

That pulley sounds hosed.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Rhyno posted:

This place came highly recommended too.

Mazda doesn't have an individual part number for this pulley which makes finding it quite difficult.

... yeeesh. You want just the pulley or the whole compressor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Just the pulley, my compressor is fine (as far as I can tell).

Edit: So full disclosure, the shop is a new place owned by a friend of a friend who specializes in imports. I probably should have just tapped the bearing out myself but I was afraid that I would damage the pulley. The tech who did it is saying nobody warned him about how soft the metal was and doesn't think the shop should pay to replace it. My friend is giving the owner hell about it for me so we'll see how that turns out but it sounds like he's accepting fault. This just makes me want to buy a small shop press even though I will probably never use it after this job.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 8, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rhyno posted:

The tech who did it is saying nobody warned him about how soft the metal was and doesn't think the shop should pay to replace it.

:allears:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Welp, I just spent all day replacing the old softtop on my NB and found out that the PO somehow cracked the rain rail even though the old top was stock. Under the parcel ledge carpet is rusted to hell, am I correct in assuming that the only fix is to have a welder cut out the chunk and weld in a new plate?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sentient Data posted:

Welp, I just spent all day replacing the old softtop on my NB and found out that the PO somehow cracked the rain rail even though the old top was stock. Under the parcel ledge carpet is rusted to hell, am I correct in assuming that the only fix is to have a welder cut out the chunk and weld in a new plate?

Those rain rails are brittle as poo poo, it isn't the PO's fault (this time).

Post pics of the rust, is it surface or cancer?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So the pulley ahole decided not to find the right sized support to put under the pulley and just smashed away. You should have told me how to operate a press I am a moron. Your fault. That said isn't every AC unit on every miata either removed or inoperative? Finding a used pulley shouldn't be that hard.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I honestly don't want to pull up the carpet for now, but it certainly felt like crunchy cancer :(
I won't have the money to deal with things for a couple/few months due to life stuff, but I'm thinking I'll buy a robbins rain rail, remove the top, and bring it to a welding shop to have it dealt with.

On the plus side, I was able to get the top fully latched this morning and it looks nice and pretty

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Your car seems to have some sort of cancerous growth there near the fender.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's just the guy's reflection :argh:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Nah, I'm sure that's a reference to the fake vent which came on the car and I'll be removing. It just has a huge adhesive pad, so I'm being careful with it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lol, I know. Glad to hear it's marked for swift death.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yes I posted this in 2 threads. I'm sorry but I REALLY need help/info.

Naturally, less than a week out from track time and now is when I've got issues.

1992 Miata. NA8 (94-97) brakes. G-LOC (Carbotech) XP-10 front pads, XP-8 rear. No other mods, standard rotors. Pretty much the standard issue miata setup.

6 weeks ago I installed these pads with a new set of rotors. Amazing, like being hit by an oncoming train. Lots of noise but totally worth it. Great bite. Did 2 days with them at NJMP, no problems.

A week or so after the track I noticed that I was getting a steady squeak-squeak-squeak from the right front. Took apart calipers, sliders looked good, piston looks good, etc. Put it back together. Still squeaked.

Took it back apart again, this time noticing that when spun, the RF came to a stop much faster than the LF. Compressed piston, tried again - now it spins great. Checked sliders again, checked piston again - no binding there. Looked CAREFULLY and noticed a tiny amount of play in the wheel bearing. Ordered a bearing and threw it on a few days ago.

Now my brake feel is AWFUL. The noise is gone (both consistent and when on brakes) and so is the bite. It's not unsafe to drive on the street or anything, but I'll be at NJMP on Saturday and Sunday - even with 90whp I want my brakes back. It basically just feels like there's no friction until I really stand on it.

Been trying to get ahold of 949racing (brake vendor) with no luck since Thursday, I think they're out on an extended racing weekend so I'll update if they get back to me.

Under heavy braking, the car seems to pull left. That makes me think the RF brake is definitely the culprit. Took the brakes apart again last night, here's pics. I gave em a light scuff with sandpaper, cleaned em off with brake cleaner. No change. The two pad pics are different only in that one pic was taken in shade and one in sun to show possible glazing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8388_zpszdusqaui.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8390_zps4ervpno0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8392_zpsyp215cke.jpg

Any ideas? Getting really stressed bc even if I ordered a new set of front pads ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) not sure if they'd show in time.

Edit: Both G-LOC and Carbotech suggested swapping inner/outer pads. Said there's no way to screw up the transfer layer from just commuting. Here's to hoping...

Blaise fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 12, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Just wanted to give you mad props for helping out, the car is back on the road! If I'm ever in your neck of the woods or you are in mine I woe you a meal and a beer!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Rhyno posted:

Just wanted to give you mad props for helping out, the car is back on the road! If I'm ever in your neck of the woods or you are in mine I woe you a meal and a beer!

Oh awesome! I was just going to PM and ask if it showed up; was happy I could use my massive pile of parts for something. ;)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Oh awesome! I was just going to PM and ask if it showed up; was happy I could use my massive pile of parts for something. ;)

So I sat and went through the bum parts today. The clutch and pulley have wear marks all along the edges where they touched. Clearly the source of the noise. So the car was still making a very slight metallic whine, a quieter version of the original noise. I did some more reading into AC clutches and message a YT guy whom had a series of repair videos I watched to learn how to do this. I suggested that perhaps the spacers had become worn? He said this was indeed something he had encountered in the past. In fact it's quite likely that this was what was causing the clutch to make contact and the bearing was never a problem. Oh well, you live and learn right?
So not wanting to go through this again I came upon a solution, I took the clutch out and put one of the original spacers in bringing the number to three. I ordered two brand new spacers that I will throw in there in the future but for now the clutch is making no noise and it still engages!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
So my dad just got a Miata RF. Unfortunately, I can't post a picture of it next to my NB because he already had some guy towing a trailer run him off the road. Hit a square curb hard enough during evasive that his wheels were pointing in different directions. I think he said the shop was only able to keep one upper control arm and everything else on the front end had to be replaced. He'd only driven it about five miles (not counting the drive home from the dealership, I assume).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Jesus. That must be the worst feeling in the world. Hopefully it's back together in no time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

So my dad just got a Miata RF. Unfortunately, I can't post a picture of it next to my NB because he already had some guy towing a trailer run him off the road. Hit a square curb hard enough during evasive that his wheels were pointing in different directions. I think he said the shop was only able to keep one upper control arm and everything else on the front end had to be replaced. He'd only driven it about five miles (not counting the drive home from the dealership, I assume).

Mazda curse is back in full force! Somebody also wrecked one nearby at 252km:

It's for sale at about half-price, so this might actually be a decent deal since it seems that the suspension wasn't hit...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Please drive safe

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So... I have a 10AE, and just bought a pair of sparco sprint bucket seats with side mounts + stock NA sliders. One minor issue that I didn't think of: the seat belt receiver is bolted to the seat sliders on the stock seats. gently caress.

Time to mod or fabricate something, I guess?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, common issue. On the NA its to the body. Get to it :)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
99 bp4w swapped in to an NA6

Just finished swapping my old smokey 1.8 for a fresh 99 motor!! While I was at it I also did a Torsen swap, coilovers, 10lb flywheel and "stage 2" ebay clutch.

Initially had the timing super retarded (timing light wasn't working) and the car drove slow as crap. After using a new timing gun and setting the timing to 14 it's great.

Oh and I found out the reason why my A/c wasn't working was because I ripped the wire coming off he compressor (didn't realize it was attached to a clamp on the power steering line). Put on a new wire and my a/c is ice cold.

So from $600 forgotten and furious / dangerous to what it is now I'm pretty stoked!

Next is hooking up the VICS

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How's the flywheel? And how much work did you have to do with wiring and ecu etc?

Wibla fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 22, 2017

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

How's the flywheel? And how much work did you have to do with wiring and ecu etc?

Flywheel is great. I had a stock 1.8 clutch / flywheel in there before and it never felt the same as my 1.6 as far as revs were concerned. The new setup is a 10lb chromoly 1.6 flywheel and XRS 1.6 clutch (the stage 2 is just a different pressure plate). Now the revs drop quick and feels revy like a 1.6 and rev matching is easier.

ECU is stock 1.6. My CAS connector wiring was already extended from whoever originally did the 1.8 swap.

Stock A/c fan wouldn't fit with the flyin miata throttle body plate but it did work with a torqflo slim fan.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also put a 10 pound wheel on a 1.8 and it doesn't feel hard to use at all. I remember everyone recommending 12 pounds for a street car, but 10 pounds isn't hard at all.

Edit: Oh, my 10 pound one is a 1.8 sized one. I hate doing clutches so I wanted as much space for clutch material as possible.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Having a functional car is the best. Gorgeous weather today so I went on a good drive after Cars & Coffee. The seat seem split a while back and it's only getting worse, what's the best replacement cover bang for the buck I can buy? I just want basic black, the saddle leather has become pretty hard and uncomfortable at this point.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I was replacing the catalytic converter on my -97 today. It had slowly been getting worse and worse emissions values for as long as I've had it (through three yearly inspections), and it finally got over the limit. No biggie.
However, while I had the car jacked up on that side I started poking at the rust at the rocker panel, and of there is quite a lot of crap there. Just with my fingers I could poke away a fair amount of rust along with wet dirt and sand and a hole maybe 15cm long and 5-6cm tall, but it seems at least possible that it is fairly local. I might get away with just fresh metal in the lower part and avoid doing the whole quarter panel. It doesn't need to look good closer than 3-5 meters away.
For now I just cleaned out what I could, and covered it up in some zinc primer and spray-on monkey feces and paint until I have time to deal with it properly. Haven't poked around on passenger side, but there is a lot less surface rust on that side. This might get punted until fall/winter, I'm afraid. Oh, glorious future repair jobs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ionn: Have you been cleaning the drains etc? if not, you probably have more rust awaiting you. Possibly a lot more.

I'm still looking into options for my bucket seats - I might just go with some jass performance adapter plates for the stock sliders and mount the seat belt receiver on the seat itself, if I can't get the NB sliders to fit on the sparco seat. I'll just have to test, I guess...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't use sliders.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

ionn: Have you been cleaning the drains etc? if not, you probably have more rust awaiting you. Possibly a lot more.

Nope. Once I'm up for doing this, I'll make some "probe holes" here and there to see what stuff is like and how much I have to cut away. I have been poking around higher up in the wheel well and from the inside (when I changed the top and installed the roll bar), and there everything looked fine so there is some upper limit to the horror at least. WH
hatever metal isn't yet damaged, I'll make sure there are good drains as well as spray in monkeypoop best as I can.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Maybe there's a better place for this but here goes: Pretty close to pulling the trigger on an ND, but need some insight from y'all.

I'm moving out to Denver, and am also buying a new car along the way. I'm a young guy with no family (and zero chance of having one anytime soon), so I felt like this was a good time as any to buy a small, sporty car I won't have a chance to drive until much later in life if I pass on it now.

Is the RF really worth the $4k + premium? Obviously having a roof is nice and everything (especially in snow country), but I haven't really read of anyone having a cave-in. The other serious con here seems to be the noticeably louder roof-down experience — which leads me to think I would think twice about putting the roof down while cruising on the highways.

Just posting as a sanity check here before I make any more decisions.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Slowhanded posted:

Maybe there's a better place for this but here goes: Pretty close to pulling the trigger on an ND, but need some insight from y'all.

I'm moving out to Denver, and am also buying a new car along the way. I'm a young guy with no family (and zero chance of having one anytime soon), so I felt like this was a good time as any to buy a small, sporty car I won't have a chance to drive until much later in life if I pass on it now.

Is the RF really worth the $4k + premium? Obviously having a roof is nice and everything (especially in snow country), but I haven't really read of anyone having a cave-in. The other serious con here seems to be the noticeably louder roof-down experience — which leads me to think I would think twice about putting the roof down while cruising on the highways.

Just posting as a sanity check here before I make any more decisions.

I've not driven the ND, but if I were in your shoes I'd drive each one for an extended time (including on the freeway!) and see how you like them.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

Just buy yourself a normal non-RF and a subaru wagon for the winter time. My NA does double duty but I'd never do it without my hard top. Hell, I probably won't do it again this year. Despite lack of family, a miata (esp an ND) is a bit small for everything.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I daily drive an ND and it does fine. I'm in Texas so snow is not really a concern though. Good non-racing hard tops are starting to come out so I may eventually get one if I feel the need arises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blaise posted:

Just buy yourself a normal non-RF and a subaru wagon for the winter time. My NA does double duty but I'd never do it without my hard top. Hell, I probably won't do it again this year. Despite lack of family, a miata (esp an ND) is a bit small for everything.

I dalied my NB in the winter for years with only a soft top and haven't had any issues. Well except everything slowly rusting to poo poo. So yeah I'm considering picking up a Subaru beater but only for that reason.