Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

evilweasel posted:

trump's lawyer has a long history of threatening lawsuits he has no intention of filing

why is he still allowed to be a lawyer then? Do you not have a professional duty to the public and the courts not to abuse the legal system and your status within it in that manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm liking this new casual profanity thing.

Last I saw the usual cadre of idiot leftists were condemning it because they think it's a shallow play to appear more relatable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Buffer posted:

why is he still allowed to be a lawyer then? Do you not have a professional duty to the public and the courts not to abuse the legal system and your status within it in that manner?

He's not actually filing the frivolous lawsuits, the thing that would put his licence at risk.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

evilweasel posted:

If Trump had a functioning brain and a functioning political party he could easily propose an infrastructure bill that would put Democrats in a really bad place and potentially get 60 votes. Fortunately, he has neither of those things.

For once incompetence is saving our American Democracy.

Well, maybe not "saving", but at least stemming the bleed-out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Well, yeah, I agree.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Last I saw the usual cadre of idiot leftists were condemning it because they think it's a shallow play to appear more relatable.

gently caress em

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rigel posted:

AJC poll of likely voters this morning (Atlanta's newspaper)

Ossoff 51 (+7)
Handel 44

Ossoff has a solid majority among young voters, Handel has a narrow lead on voters over 65. 13% of Republicans and 50% of independents are with Ossoff. Only 3% of brain-damaged democrats are with Handel.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/09/ajc-poll-ossoff-opens-lead-over-handel-in-georgias-6th/

I want to believe.

I don't have faith in the GA-06 voters though. Prove me wrong you spiteful jerks.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

evilweasel posted:

If Trump had a functioning brain and a functioning political party he could easily propose an infrastructure bill that would put Democrats in a really bad place and potentially get 60 votes. Fortunately, he has neither of those things.

But the thing is that for all that Trump wants to build 1,000 Trump Memorial Highways, Republicans are actually pretty shy about funding government projects of any kind. It's a pork project, and he'd have to shell out a ton of money into Democrat districts to get the 60 votes he'd need.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to believe.

I don't have faith in the GA-06 voters though. Prove me wrong you spiteful jerks.

It's like the battle of minis tirith but instead of the riders of Rohan coming down it's all the Asians from Buford highway.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

the lawyers taking those cases are basically bottom-tier lawyers who function only on volume

Yeah, I know. Still, literally one read-through would prompt a, "Huh, 'trip' should be 'truck,' and this last sentence doesn't even sound like English." I should probably just sign it and send it back, but there is an anal-retentive part of me that doesn't want to certify something that looks dumb even if the point of it is still there.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/873156117152620544

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm liking this new casual profanity thing.

A naked attempt to get support from the youngs.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

But the thing is that for all that Trump wants to build 1,000 Trump Memorial Highways, Republicans are actually pretty shy about funding government projects of any kind. It's a pork project, and he'd have to shell out a ton of money into Democrat districts to get the 60 votes he'd need.

Right, hence the functioning political party bit. He probably could get enough of them, the party's only real ideology is the fuhrerprinzip and they'd probably be willing to choke it down, but fortunately he doesn't have the cunning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought infrastructure was Bannon's big play to usher in a thousand years of nationalist darkness? I guess with all the internal strife consuming everyone's time and putting him on thin ice there's no way to move forward.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, I know. Still, literally one read-through would prompt a, "Huh, 'trip' should be 'truck,' and this last sentence doesn't even sound like English." I should probably just sign it and send it back, but there is an anal-retentive part of me that doesn't want to certify something that looks dumb even if the point of it is still there.

You should absolutely correct all their stupid mistakes before you sign it: you're the one signing it, you're the one vouching it's all correct.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

It's like the battle of minis tirith but instead of the riders of Rohan coming down it's all the Asians from Buford highway.

I laughed so good at this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

I thought infrastructure was Bannon's big play to usher in a thousand years of nationalist darkness? I guess with all the internal strife consuming everyone's time and putting him on thin ice there's no way to move forward.

Pretty much everyone called right off the bat that Bannon's dream of a sweeping infrastructure plan was DOA. The big worry was that Trump would successfully pass a huge private-industry capture measure (toll roads, etc) and call it an infrastructure plan and that would be enough, but he's struggling with keeping that idea in his head, too.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

With last night's UK election (I know it's not directly related to us, but it still shows the current zeitgeist) and Ossof's widening lead, what are the expected reactions of R's later this month when the coming tide possibly becomes even more apparent? Are we going to start having reporters ask reps to go on record as endorsing the Trump presidency so far?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

With last night's UK election (I know it's not directly related to us, but it still shows the current zeitgeist) and Ossof's widening lead, what are the expected reactions of R's later this month when the coming tide possibly becomes even more apparent? Are we going to start having reporters ask reps to go on record as endorsing the Trump presidency so far?

You're more likely to see an intensifying effort to pass as many voter-suppression measures as possible in addition to every R politician nontupling down on their previous positions. They're not going to back away from Trump under any circumstance. They're in too deep.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Evilweasel is right, and if the case winds up being litigated it's going to be you, not whatever paralegal, explaining why you thought those words were good enough to put your name to.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is a pretty good thread on the difference between Corbyn and Hillary

https://twitter.com/zachdcarter/status/873175633366573056

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

They'll publicly be in denial, but in private they'll increase voter suppression and propaganda.

Don't read too much into the UK election. The same people who screamed about the failure of Democrats for "just" making their losing margin smaller are applauding labor for doing the same.

Right now everyone is just projecting their own ideology on to the results.

Xae fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 9, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I like the tag line because it makes it look like she's threatening to fight him

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'd honestly contact the law office. I'd make suggested revisions and e-mail the law office and have them send you a new typed one.

Source: Used to be a lovely lawyer, made lovely mistakes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, I kind of feel Gillibrand is torpedoing any chance of a 2020 run with all the weird F Bomb stuff.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

I laughed so good at this.

Same. Gotta love regional humour you actually understand..

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I kind of feel Gillibrand is torpedoing any chance of a 2020 run with all the weird F Bomb stuff.

Why do you think f bombs matter to most people, at best it drives off prudes and old folks and those are the types that vote GOP as it is

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Haha, you think f-bombs matter in the age of Trump.

Literally the only people who would a) pretend to be offended and vote GOP or b) actually be offended and vote GOP are voting GOP anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's more about professionalism. If I am talking to a client I am not going to drop a F bomb. I don't even curse at work.

It's just a quick way of being seen as "the cool kid" or whatever. She has been a blue dog for a while and now after Bernie has shifted to liberal progressiveness. It's just pandering.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

I think if the 2016 election taught us anything it taught us that you can do whatever you want as long as you don't apologize for it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Didn't see this yet

https://twitter.com/bobinglis/status/873176356477128705

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I'm beginning to think that the Russians have dossiers on many key if not most Republican lawmakers and are using that dirt to force them to do everything they can to keep Trump in power.

Because honestly I don't see why they would tie themselves so tightly to the golden orange boat anchor tweeting from the oval office. Pence would more than serve their purposes in fact from the point of view of the GOP he'd be preferable as I suspect that he can actually be coherent at times and shut up when needed.

I blame the Democrats who decided to not take down the GOP over Iran/Contra. If they had done their duty then the Republican party of today wouldn't be the bunch of lunatic traitors of today.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Seems a bit of a double standard when POTUS said whatever the gently caress he wanted and got elected.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like the tag line because it makes it look like she's threatening to fight him

I've never heard of anyone being visited by the secret service for hoping the President remains healthy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

People expected that of Trump though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Retro42 posted:

Seems a bit of a double standard when POTUS said whatever the gently caress he wanted and got elected.

Without double standards ,blah blha blah

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I would have agreed with you a year ago. In the age of Trump, I think its helpful to be genuine and passionate, and the voters obviously don't give even the slightest poo poo about being vulgar if they can vote for Trump. Hillary literally ran a "Trump drops the F-bomb publicly OMG!" commercial a ton of times, and it may have actually helped Trump.

Gillibrand probably shouldn't do it in Iowa because we have a weird "Iowa nice" thing, but aside from that, it could work out.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It's more about professionalism. If I am talking to a client I am not going to drop a F bomb. I don't even curse at work.

It's just a quick way of being seen as "the cool kid" or whatever. She has been a blue dog for a while and now after Bernie has shifted to liberal progressiveness. It's just pandering.

I'd be more likely to back a firebrand dem willing to be crass to make a point (backed up with sound reason and facts)

If anything the right has shown that raw emotional appeal is a huge selling point, and backing that with real world poo poo should lend some more value.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xae posted:

They'll publicly be in denial, but in private they'll increase voter suppression and propaganda.

Don't read too much into the UK election. The same people who screamed about the failure of Democrats for "just" making their losing margin smaller are applauding labor for doing the same.

Right now everyone is just projecting their own ideology on to the results.

That's not really a fair comparison. Labour was supposed to be gone by the time this election was over. Instead they've gained the biggest vote share in eighty years and the woman who originally planned for this to be her moment ascendant has the entire world hounding her for her resignation.

It's a bit more dramatic than a single district election closing the gap by a few points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Oxxidation posted:

Case in point.

• Locked thread