Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Lmbo tony, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

I just wanna see him get out and kick the loving thing.

Him throwing the headrest like that was probably the closest we'll see to it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I dont even know what he means by chasing him around, ive only ever seen him in this thread.

He's in the playerunknown battlegrounds thread at least. Someone asked about his avatar in there.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
tony is ron

mclaren/honda is crap

no synergy

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If Tony gets banned please place it on his post with his sister in a kart.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fo3 posted:

tony is ron

mclaren/honda is crap.

Convince Isaac to start watching F1 so we can salvage the reputation of drug addled Aussies.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
He's just got a mobile phone from what I know. No tv or pc.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Fo3 posted:

tony is ron

mclaren/honda is crap

no synergy

Don't you dare insult Are Ron like that ever again

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So many spins and lockups today.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lewis isnt trash in this circuit, it should be a fun race.

DONT gently caress IT UP FERRARI!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I'm starting to realize the McLaren Honda dream was exactly that; a dream. Everything about those two companies names together is just right.

Guys, I'm so sad. Idk if I'll make it to the end of the season. Someone hold me plz.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Him throwing the headrest like that was probably the closest we'll see to it.

In Spain he threw the steering wheel back into the car

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Channel 4 qualifying and race coverage on at 10.30pm respectively. Woe is me

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The race itself will be on NBC proper here. Weird.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DoctorGonzo posted:

Big Maur' may gently caress it up, but I hope he does not.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's 2AM were I live, that's live. I often skip COTA, but never canada or brazil.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

DoctorGonzo posted:

If you look at his record here it's pretty much win or a dnf.

Take a guess what I want.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

iospace posted:

GET YOUR GANGTAGS HERE:

Tell me if you want it centered or not as well.

Man I'm late to the party, hoping I can still get a kickin rad centered Alonso tag :allears:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

iospace posted:

The race itself will be on NBC proper here. Weird.

Eh, that happens a few times a season. I think the USGP has been on NBC when they can fit it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm watching it live on Sky. Ugh Horner.

I put down a deposit on that puppy by the way.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I'm starting to realize the McLaren Honda dream was exactly that; a dream. Everything about those two companies names together is just right.

Guys, I'm so sad. Idk if I'll make it to the end of the season. Someone hold me plz.

Literally the entire partnership is riding on this next planned upgrade. If Honda doesn't deliver, after three years of intense pressure, and with the enormous amount of resources they're now throwing at the project, then holy poo poo that's sad.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Let's see, Canada weekend coming up, this is gonna be great...

EoRaptor posted:

So Circuit Gilles Villeneuve took out the Wall of Champions, it's just a tire barrier now.

:yikes:

Brownie posted:

I'm from Toronto, Canada so I've looked into it a bit and so most of the tracks are outside the city from what I see... which means I'll need to figure out how to get myself to the tracks as well.

Thanks for the advice guys

Brownie, it's been over a decade since I've been, but there used to be a place in Etobicoke that had a Monday night league where you show up and drive their usual rental karts for a few races, and they kept track of points, etc. Something like that would be a fun way to get a little bit into it without having to drop a bunch of money on your own equipment at first. Like ilmucche mentioned, Goodwood is a fun outdoor track, and then there's 401 and a place with electrics at Downsview.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CratSock posted:

Let's see, Canada weekend coming up, this is gonna be great...

:yikes:

dont doxxx Tony

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh gently caress YOU Lewis, he was asked to simplify something for the fans and said "naw man I don't do that because I can't be bothered ha ha ha" and then when asked a technical question said "nah man you wouldn't understand"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gigi Galli posted:

Eh, that happens a few times a season. I think the USGP has been on NBC when they can fit it.

Yeah, they had Monaco on NBC, and USGP well, they have nothing else really during that time but it's opposite US football so whatever.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

learnincurve posted:

Oh gently caress YOU Lewis, he was asked to simplify something for the fans and said "naw man I don't do that because I can't be bothered ha ha ha" and then when asked a technical question said "nah man you wouldn't understand"

In Jon Lovitz voice: Lewis meltdown continues...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It seems that Mercedes (in general, not just the works team) still has a bit more power than Ferrari. Hopefully the Scud can close the gap.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Literally the entire partnership is riding on this next planned upgrade. If Honda doesn't deliver, after three years of intense pressure, and with the enormous amount of resources they're now throwing at the project, then holy poo poo that's sad.

It didn't work. Honda and McLaren have different goals so perhaps it' best to go in another direction. When/if a new OEM joins perhaps McLaren can court them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McLaren BMW?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It didn't work. Honda and McLaren have different goals so perhaps it' best to go in another direction. When/if a new OEM joins perhaps McLaren can court them.

Don't take this the wrong way but: what does this even mean?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Sounds like "I don't know but too arrogant to say so" to me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
McLaren clearly expected to be contending for Championships right now, Honda was more apprehensive about that, even initially. Brown and McLaren management perhaps feel that a customer Mercedes deal is best for now.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Lance Stroll is hot garbage. 1.2 seconds slower than a guy pulled out of retirement at his home track and home crowd.

Any fellow Canadian that is actually trackside and cheering Stroll on in particular is a traitor.

Let's also not beat off in the bush here: Honda and McLaren will no longer be together 100% at the end of his year. The only question is will it happen during the season and how readily can McLaren tweak their chassis to accommodate a Mercedes? I mean, all those engines/logistics allocated for Manor are kinda just sitting around picking Tony's posts out of their bumhole.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

McLaren BMW?

It doesn't have that same synergistic ring as the words "McLaren" and "Honda". The two go together like peanut butter and jelly, or salt and pepper.

wicka posted:

You're absolutely right and it makes sense in that regard as to why Honda wants to be absolutely certain it will deliver and delayed it. They need to look at the longer term vs the imminent future, and I get why they aren't looking that way but imo that's the wrong way to go about it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Lance Stroll is hot garbage. 1.2 seconds slower than a guy pulled out of retirement at his home track and home crowd.

Any fellow Canadian that is actually trackside and cheering Stroll on in particular is a traitor.

Let's also not beat off in the bush here: Honda and McLaren will no longer be together 100% at the end of his year. The only question is will it happen during the season and how readily can McLaren tweak their chassis to accommodate a Mercedes? I mean, all those engines/logistics allocated for Manor are kinda just sitting around picking Tony's posts out of their bumhole.

A mid-season engine change is extremely unlikely. It hasn't happened in 26 years.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I still think Porsche would be the best party to court as they've likely got some groundwork laid already. Also given the power struggle going on in the family it might just get shoved through as a gently caress you to Piech.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

A mid-season engine change is extremely unlikely. It hasn't happened in 26 years.

yeah but what do they really have to lose?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I still think Porsche would be the best party to court as they've likely got some groundwork laid already. Also given the power struggle going on in the family it might just get shoved through as a gently caress you to Piech.

I'd be totally cool with that. :cumpolice:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is a press conference with FOM going on and dieter rankin (spelling) just asked one of his tricky questions and Carey hit him with a wall of words, and hasn't drawn breath in about five minutes without actually saying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

McLaren clearly expected to be contending for Championships right now, Honda was more apprehensive about that, even initially. Brown and McLaren management perhaps feel that a customer Mercedes deal is best for now.

On reflection you're probably right...Alonso said he wants to be winning by September in order to commit to McLaren, but Brown just came out and said they need to make an engine decision by the end of July in order to be adequately prepared for 2018. It puts Honda in a very difficult position, because either they rush the upgrade and risk totally blowing it again, or they wait too long and force McLaren to drop them. I would still argue that, when Honda takes their time and does things right, their upgrades have been effective. But I certainly don't think an upgrade of this magnitude, released before they're absolutely ready, has a particularly great chance of success.

Also, the fact that McLaren is going to the media to hash this out tells me that the partnership has (again?) totally broken down behind the scenes.

wuffles posted:

yeah but what do they really have to lose?

They have a far, far, FAR better chance of scoring points with Honda than they do with a hastily retrofitted Mercedes engine.

• Locked thread