Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Skex posted:

Because honestly I don't see why they would tie themselves so tightly to the golden orange boat anchor tweeting from the oval office. Pence would more than serve their purposes in fact from the point of view of the GOP he'd be preferable as I suspect that he can actually be coherent at times and shut up when needed.

My going theory is that they're all so deep into this web of lies, corruption, and straight-up unreality that they're hosed the second they start falling apart, when someone finally breaks and says, "No, this is NOT okay", then it calls into question all the shady-rear end poo poo they've been doing forever and the horrible decisions they've made.

I hope, anyway.

e: dogge

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Wouldn't Trump pardoning Flynn just lead to Flynn being compelled to testify without 5th amendment protections?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

Wouldn't Trump pardoning Flynn just lead to Flynn being compelled to testify without 5th amendment protections?

yes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Profanity stopped being taboo when Pussy Riot made international headlines and everyone decided to just go with it. Today nobody cares about it who doesn't already send a thousand angry form letters to the FCC every time they spot a celebrity with exposed shoulders. It'll probably appeal directly to the youngest voters too.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

evilweasel posted:

He's not actually filing the frivolous lawsuits, the thing that would put his licence at risk.

That seems like a distinction without a difference unless he's only threatening other attorneys / people of that certain class that have attorneys. He'll be able to intimidate a wide swathe of the general public simply with those threats - that he knows they're so baseless as to not actually file the suits should be more damning, not an excuse for the behavior.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Where are his eyes!?!?

:stonk:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/873203579078807554

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'd honestly contact the law office. I'd make suggested revisions and e-mail the law office and have them send you a new typed one.

Source: Used to be a lovely lawyer, made lovely mistakes.

eviltastic posted:

Evilweasel is right, and if the case winds up being litigated it's going to be you, not whatever paralegal, explaining why you thought those words were good enough to put your name to.

evilweasel posted:

You should absolutely correct all their stupid mistakes before you sign it: you're the one signing it, you're the one vouching it's all correct.
All appreciated. I was able to correct to an allowable standard with a few word substitutions and I'll mail it off.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think the angle the right wing will take is that they will be forced to admit that Trump committed all sorts of violations of principle and ethics but nothing criminal. They will not abandon him. They'll do a Gianforte and admit to the whole thing while reaping the benefits of the power the misdeeds have brought them. They will push to put the divisiveness they've created and maintained to the side so the country can "move forward."

Nothing short of an outright criminal act with undeniable evidence will get Trump impeached, let alone indicted, and that criminal act will have to be outrageous. Ordering people to lie will not be enough, colluding with Russia to tamper with the election will not be enough.

It will have to be something that makes his base uncomfortable, and after every disgusting thing we've seen from Trump clearly they are willing to tolerate an awful lot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

morcant posted:

My going theory is that they're all so deep into this web of lies, corruption, and straight-up unreality that they're hosed the second they start falling apart, when someone finally breaks and says, "No, this is NOT okay", then it calls into question all the shady-rear end poo poo they've been doing forever and the horrible decisions they've made.

I hope, anyway.

I remember someone posting the theory that the GOP is basically trying to avoid a moral reckoning with itself because it will destroy them, psychologically and spiritually, if they ever allow themselves to actually admit what they've done.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/hamiltonnolan/status/873187601343270912

strong agree

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Xae posted:

They'll publicly be in denial, but in private they'll increase voter suppression and propaganda.

Don't read too much into the UK election. The same people who screamed about the failure of Democrats for "just" making their losing margin smaller are applauding labor for doing the same.

Right now everyone is just projecting their own ideology on to the results.

The left in the UK is split among multiple parties, the conservatives attempted and were expected to grab literally everything in this election but are now instead in corncob mode.

Also stats matter, you're basically saying "if global warming why snow?" when you suggest a huge democratic swing that can't overcome the default +20 republican vote is meaningless and just a projection of ideology to suggest it's a good thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Skex posted:

I'm beginning to think that the Russians have dossiers on many key if not most Republican lawmakers and are using that dirt to force them to do everything they can to keep Trump in power.

Because honestly I don't see why they would tie themselves so tightly to the golden orange boat anchor tweeting from the oval office. Pence would more than serve their purposes in fact from the point of view of the GOP he'd be preferable as I suspect that he can actually be coherent at times and shut up when needed.

I blame the Democrats who decided to not take down the GOP over Iran/Contra. If they had done their duty then the Republican party of today wouldn't be the bunch of lunatic traitors of today.

There is no way to dump trump without a good chunk of his base seeing it as the ultimate betrayal, and without him spending the rest of his life being a thorn in republicans' side. If they could push a button and trump magically decides to resign and retire, they'd push it so fast they'd break it. But actually removing him through impeachment won't let them just quietly swap Pence in.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

That's not really a fair comparison. Labour was supposed to be gone by the time this election was over. Instead they've gained the biggest vote share in eighty years and the woman who originally planned for this to be her moment ascendant has the entire world hounding her for her resignation.

It's a bit more dramatic than a single district election closing the gap by a few points.

Losing by less is still losing.

I think that phrase was used about a billion times after Montana and the other special elections.

Yeah, the comparison isn't perfect but that was the point. It is just close enough to let people project what they want to see in to it.

It was a big swing there and it is a big swing here. But be careful reading too much into it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/872925786910715904

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

Losing by less is still losing.

I think that phrase was used about a billion times after Montana and the other special elections.

Yeah, the comparison isn't perfect but that was the point. It is just close enough to let people project what they want to see in to it.

My understanding is that they fought it close enough that the conservative government is unworkable and will collapse within 1-2 years tops (and likely have to make unpopular compromises to last that long, and then go into the next election also suffering from the revelation of what the UK has to agree to for Brexit). It's not just that they lost by less than expected, losing by as little as they did actually matters.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am all for cursing and anything else that makes Dem candidates seem more genuine and relatable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dick Trauma posted:

I think the angle the right wing will take is that they will be forced to admit that Trump committed all sorts of violations of principle and ethics but nothing criminal. They will not abandon him. They'll do a Gianforte and admit to the whole thing while reaping the benefits of the power the misdeeds have brought them. They will push to put the divisiveness they've created and maintained to the side so the country can "move forward."

Nothing short of an outright criminal act with undeniable evidence will get Trump impeached, let alone indicted, and that criminal act will have to be outrageous. Ordering people to lie will not be enough, colluding with Russia to tamper with the election will not be enough.

It will have to be something that makes his base uncomfortable, and after every disgusting thing we've seen from Trump clearly they are willing to tolerate an awful lot.

I don't think an outright criminal act with direct evidence would necessarily get Trump impeached.

Right now I see two paths to impeachment or removal from office.

The first is his popularity drops SO low that the House Republicans actually start doing something to distance themselves. Criminal acts could spark that but they also might not depending on diehards. Overall this seems low probability to me.

More likely, those *around* Trump get sacrificed, burned, fired, indicted, etc., Until without his supporter network he does something truly indefensible -- and I don't mean necessarily something criminal, I mean something like wetting his pants in public or taking his clothes off mid speech, something that literally cannot be defended. Then we go twenty fifth amendment.

But I think the most likely way he leaves office is still sudden health crisis.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

It's literally the most expensive house race of like all time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I am all for cursing and anything else that makes Dem candidates seem more genuine and relatable.

Yeah, this. It comes off as cynical to me since there's no way a politician goes around dropping f bombs publicly without a conscious decision to do so, but if it works then it works. Doesn't seem like something worth discussing much either way tbh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The point of investigating Trump's misdeeds is not to remove him from office, though if that happens it would be wonderful.

The point of investigating them is to inform the public 'Hey this rear end in a top hat is committing these misdeeds and also his party is covering for him.' and then throw them all in a dumpster at election time.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm down with cursing when it's not a gimmick. If you drop some f-bombs sparingly to make a point then good but if you use it too much it loses its impact and just sounds immature.

Basically keep it to off-the-cuff "enough with the drat emails" type stuff.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think an outright criminal act with direct evidence would necessarily get Trump impeached.

Right now I see two paths to impeachment or removal from office.

The first is his popularity drops SO low that the House Republicans actually start doing something to distance themselves. Criminal acts could spark that but they also might not depending on diehards. Overall this seems low probability to me.

More likely, those *around* Trump get sacrificed, burned, fired, indicted, etc., Until without his supporter network he does something truly indefensible -- and I don't mean necessarily something criminal, I mean something like wetting his pants in public or taking his clothes off mid speech, something that literally cannot be defended. Then we go twenty fifth amendment.

But I think the most likely way he leaves office is still sudden health crisis.

I wish you were wrong but I have to agree.

On that note he does NOT look good at all lately. The last few Presidents all at least somewhat took care of themselves. Trump not so much. There would be some poetic justice to the POTUS who killed all of Michelle Obama's initiatives keeling over from a heart attack halfway thru a stump speech.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Retro42 posted:

On that note he does NOT look good at all lately. The last few Presidents all at least somewhat took care of themselves. Trump not so much. There would be some poetic justice to the POTUS who killed all of Michelle Obama's initiatives keeling over from a heart attack halfway thru a stump speech.

I think the GOP's fondest wish right now is that he stroke out and they be done with him without having to do anything.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Retro42 posted:

i really hope he fires sessions, itll be a clear signal to everyone that every single position in this administration is a permanent hot seat and nobody will want to work with him. itll basically become 4 years of nonstop scandal and it will own

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BiohazrD posted:

i really hope he fires sessions, itll be a clear signal to everyone that every single position in this administration is a permanent hot seat and nobody will want to work with him. itll basically become 4 years of nonstop scandal and it will own

plus that will mean all the agencies are controlled by career people since trump is unaware there are any positions below cabinet-level positions he is supposed to fill

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hello my loving fellow teens

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sessions likely wants to run for his old senate seat and would love nothing more than to be asked to resign.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FizFashizzle posted:

Sessions likely wants to run for his old senate seat and would love nothing more than to be asked to resign.

There's no indication of that at all. Sessions has next to no influence in his old seat, whereas he has ultimate power over the direction of the justice system in his current one.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't know he'd win it. It's one thing to hold the senate seat against primary challengers who have to make an affirmative case you've betrayed the party and need to go. It's another thing to try to get it back after you quit. The other people aren't going to bow out and are going to make a big deal of him slinking back to the job he just quit.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

morcant posted:

A reminder that it's been reported that the RNC servers were infiltrated yet nothing leaked out against Republicans. I think it's safe to assume there are some anvils over certain heads.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

BiohazrD posted:

And everyone left over is already looking sideways at Trump (Mattis, McMasters), or is just the absolute dregs. (Tillerson, Carson)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Night10194 posted:

I remember someone posting the theory that the GOP is basically trying to avoid a moral reckoning with itself because it will destroy them, psychologically and spiritually, if they ever allow themselves to actually admit what they've done.

They can't avoid it forever, and at that moment, I will experience climax.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FizFashizzle posted:

Sessions finally has his hands on the one thing he desires above else: the power to turbofuck minorities on a national scale and the power to take away weed. He definitely doesn't want to lose it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

hello my loving fellow teens

https://twitter.com/GOPTeens/status/871233430125764608

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I agree with this thread. I've started calling out gender-based insults the last year or two, I don't like them. "rear end in a top hat" or "idiot" are fine alternatives if you want to insult someone.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/873207949564497920

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

-Dethstryk- posted:

A reminder that it's been reported that the RNC servers were infiltrated yet nothing leaked out against Republicans. I think it's safe to assume there are some anvils over certain heads.

And Republicans are exactly that kind of stupid to use semi-official channels to email pictures of themselves banging underage Bangkok hookers to get those sweet old white guy high-5s.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

-Dethstryk- posted:

I doubt it. There was nothing actually devastating in the DNC emails. Nothing career-ending or the like - just enough to stoke the paranoia of berniebros who believed they'd been robbed and to keep the word "email" in the news against hillary EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS clinton. I'm sure they'd rather they not come out as they'd be annoying, but I'd doubt there's something blackmailable in there enough to control people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FizFashizzle posted:

If not that he could run for governor

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sessions finally has his hands on the one thing he desires above else: the power to turbofuck minorities on a national scale and the power to take away weed. He definitely doesn't want to lose it.

He's already offered to resign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rigel posted:

I agree with this thread. I've started calling out gender-based insults the last year or two, I don't like them. "rear end in a top hat" or "idiot" are fine alternatives if you want to insult someone.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/873207949564497920

I agree with this but I couldn't help but laugh at "1/14" when I first saw the tweet.

• Locked thread