Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rigel posted:

I agree with this thread. I've started calling out gender-based insults the last year or two, I don't like them. "rear end in a top hat" or "idiot" are fine alternatives if you want to insult someone.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/873207949564497920

Holy poo poo, you're JK Rowling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

And everyone left over is already looking sideways at Trump (Mattis, McMasters), or is just the absolute dregs. (Tillerson, Carson)

Tillerson shouldn't be the absolute dregs. You look at his resume, he has the credentials that he should be what you're looking for in a Republican administration - successful business executive in an industry that should mean he has lots of experience bribing "working with" foreign governments. But somehow he's just turned into Sleepytime Rex instead.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oddly enough the person in the administration who comes out looking the best is Rick loving Perry. Because he's just stayed quiet listened to the career people, and is just doing his job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dexo posted:

Oddly enough the person in the administration who comes out looking the best is Rick loving Perry. Because he's just stayed quiet listened to the career people, and is just doing his job.

Are you sure? He might just have dozed off and nobody noticed.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Dexo posted:

You know what, this is bullshit. He was just waiting for his turn to rape the Republic. Don't give him any plaudits just because he's too stupid to elbow his way into the line.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dexo posted:

Now that he knows what it is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Overwined posted:

You know what, this is bullshit. He was just waiting for his turn to rape the Republic. Don't give him any plaudits just because he's too stupid to elbow his way into the line.

"person in trump's cabinet who has covered themselves in the least amount of shame" isn't really giving someone plaudits

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

I agree with this thread. I've started calling out gender-based insults the last year or two, I don't like them. "rear end in a top hat" or "idiot" are fine alternatives if you want to insult someone.

Here's me giving a gently caress about J.K Rowling. :rolleyes:

That being said, she's right.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Dexo posted:

That's because Good Hair isn't really that ideological he's just a old fashioned Republican crook.

OMG how bad is it that this new batch of Republicans make me nostalgic for W and crew, who for all their many faults weren't cartoon villains.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I agree with this but I couldn't help but laugh at "1/14" when I first saw the tweet.

Yeah, gently caress people who do this. If you have so much poo poo to say that you need more than two, maybe three tweets, write a loving blog and include the link. People can click that if they really care. Hint: they probably don't.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Skex posted:

That's because Good Hair isn't really that ideological he's just a old fashioned Republican crook.

OMG how bad is it that this new batch of Republicans make me nostalgic for W and crew, who for all their many faults weren't cartoon villains.

Let me know when trump has a million bodies on his name.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

rear end in a top hat or idiot sometimes just lack the imagery good insults have and most good insults have at least some form of sexual reference that could be taken as gender-based or sexuality-based, though whore is also bland and bad as well so there's no reason you'd ever go with such a bad insult besides misogony

what i'm saying is we need our colleges and universities to work on the new intellectual pursuit of this century, more and better insults

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Skex posted:

Eh, Congress was a little more sane during the W years, but his cabinet was arguably as crooked and a lot more competent than these idiots

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Rigel posted:

JK Rowling is an "rear end in a top hat" or "idiot" for talking about electability and then voting for the Lib Dems.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Eh, Congress was a little more sane during the W years, but his cabinet was arguably as crooked and a lot more competent than these idiots

only if you leave out trump & family, who are technically not part of the cabinet

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I dunno, I respect someone who going in wanted to gut the department they were put over. But once he got in realized how loving important it is and actually changed his mind on it.

Meanwhile Betsy Devos and Ben Barson are completely gutting their departments.

I don't agree with just about anything he stands for, but considering it seems like he's taking it seriously and doing the job right I am willing to give him at least some respect compared to everything else going on in government.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

Tillerson shouldn't be the absolute dregs. You look at his resume, he has the credentials that he should be what you're looking for in a Republican administration - successful business executive in an industry that should mean he has lots of experience bribing "working with" foreign governments. But somehow he's just turned into Sleepytime Rex instead.

If there's one thing the GOP has taught me, it's that on the whole, businessmen are some of the stupidest and most worthless people on the loving planet.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That twitter profile creeps me out. Probably because it is exactly what happens when middle-aged marketers try to talk like adolescents.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dexo posted:

I dunno, I respect someone who going in wanted to gut the department they were put over. But once he got in realized how loving important it is and actually changed his mind on it.

Respecting someone is one thing, but believing they are the right person to lead said department given this clear evidence that they don't know what the gently caress is going a little far.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Don't worry, we only have to wait until some foreign leader says he has small hands.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Night10194 posted:

If there's one thing the GOP has taught me, it's that on the whole, businessmen are some of the stupidest and most worthless people on the loving planet.

a business executive has to be good at (a) appearing incredibly competent and (b) good at internal politics in order to get where they are because they need to knife out a bunch of other people who wanted the job

somehow Sleepytime Rex seems to have neither of those at all

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like seriously

http://time.com/4810418/rick-perry-china-clean-energy/

quote:

Those are three areas that I think we have extraordinary opportunities to be partners to work on clean energy issues," Perry said. ... An official readout of the meeting later distributed to journalists cited Perry as also mentioning renewables — essentially wind and solar power — as another area of "mutual interest" to both countries.

That's Rick loving Perry.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

Meanwhile Betsy Devos and Ben Barson are completely gutting their departments.

I don't agree with just about anything he stands for, but considering it seems like he's taking it seriously and doing the job right I am willing to give him at least some respect compared to everything else going on in government.

Yeah, on a scale of 0 to 1,000,000, he gets 1 unit of respect from me, which is more than 0.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Like dick Cheney convinced the president to go to war under false pretenses, destabilizing an entire region and killing over a million innocent Iraqis, and he used his former company to do it. They were so corrupt they couldn't even build a shower that wouldn't electrocute soldiers. They created a massive private army and made its owner so wealthy he was able to buy his way out of treason charges. Bush believed the war was fulfilling biblical prophecies.

And for kicks they institutionalized torture and crashed the world economy.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

TheMadMilkman posted:

That twitter profile creeps me out. Probably because it is exactly what happens when middle-aged marketers try to talk like adolescents.

It's a parody account doing far too good a job.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

really loving the "Hey guys, bigotry is bad.. (1/69)" tweetstorm meme

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I doubt it. There was nothing actually devastating in the DNC emails. Nothing career-ending or the like - just enough to stoke the paranoia of berniebros who believed they'd been robbed and to keep the word "email" in the news against hillary EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS clinton. I'm sure they'd rather they not come out as they'd be annoying, but I'd doubt there's something blackmailable in there enough to control people.

I don't know, I imagine there's some pretty disparaging remarks against Trump and his antics that would be enough to drive a wedge through the Trump supporters and King Cheeto. He's pretty thin skinned.

Also, I'm sure they knew all about his ties to Russia and wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't in the GOP emails as well.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

turns out the glasses made him smart, after all

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Night10194 posted:

I think the GOP's fondest wish right now is that he stroke out and they be done with him without having to do anything.

That's the coward's way, like hoping a girl breaks up with you because you're too afraid to do it yourself, or ignoring some major medical problem because you're afraid of what it might be and not knowing means it isn't happening. So yeah that sounds about right.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Respecting someone is one thing, but believing they are the right person to lead said department given this clear evidence that they don't know what the gently caress is going a little far.

He's not the right person. But he wouldn't be the first person to be over promoted outside of his skill level. But that can work if the person is willing to listen to the people around them that do know what they are doing rather than going full bluster.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah let's wait until they've killed a few million people to judge them. Give him a chance!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mastershakeman posted:

turns out the glasses made him smart, after all

I think it's more that coal is actually not really profitable anymore and the coal lobby is getting eclipsed by other, larger lobbies that see the profit in renewable energy. Like the only people invested in keeping coal around are coal companies, coal miners and their families, and people whose political ideals can be summarized as "lol libs u mad?".

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

All appreciated. I was able to correct to an allowable standard with a few word substitutions and I'll mail it off.

Notice that all lawyers here had words evil or hell in their name.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think it's more that coal is actually not really profitable anymore and the coal lobby is getting eclipsed by other, larger lobbies that see the profit in renewable energy. Like the only people invested in keeping coal around are coal companies, coal miners and their families, and people whose political ideals can be summarized as "lol libs u mad?".

I think it's more that a guy from Texas has not one bit of loyalty to coal, which competes with his state's oil and natural gas. Renewable energy mostly threatens coal, not oil and gas (and Texas has plenty of room for solar/wind plants).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

Yeah let's wait until they've killed a few million people to judge them. Give him a chance!

Relative to bush?

I'm alright not saying he's worse than a mass murdering war criminal. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

I mean Coal lobby is not great, but the Oil lobby is still going strong.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

FizFashizzle posted:

Like dick Cheney convinced the president to go to war under false pretenses, destabilizing an entire region and killing over a million innocent Iraqis, and he used his former company to do it. They were so corrupt they couldn't even build a shower that wouldn't electrocute soldiers. They created a massive private army and made its owner so wealthy he was able to buy his way out of treason charges. Bush believed the war was fulfilling biblical prophecies.

And for kicks they institutionalized torture and crashed the world economy.

Your argument is not incorrect, it's just atemporal. If you told Trump that he'd get paid $100 for every American Soldier that died in combat, he'd start spinning up the meat grinders stat.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

evilweasel posted:

I think it's more that a guy from Texas has not one bit of loyalty to coal, which competes with his state's oil and natural gas. Renewable energy mostly threatens coal, not oil and gas (and Texas has plenty of room for solar/wind plants).

Yeah. I guess that is a pretty good point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FizFashizzle posted:

Don't worry, when the AHCA Passes the Senate you'll hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I got my issues with HamNo(he's got the berniebro "if we fix class we fix race" blindness) but OK

awesome KG quotes tho. She trying to get on the Dem ticket?

• Locked thread