Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cowofwar posted:

I hope someone robs the party.

Not money-related, but she put the links to the dolls and clothes her daughter wants on the invitation. So, all the guests know exactly how much she needs and that they will be responsible for crushing her daughter's dreams if their gifts don't exceed that threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not money-related, but she put the links to the dolls and clothes her daughter wants on the invitation. So, all the guests know exactly how much she needs and that they will be responsible for crushing her daughter's dreams if their gifts don't exceed that threshold.
Is she poor or nouveau riche because she lacks a tremendous amount of class

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cowofwar posted:

Is she poor or nouveau riche because she lacks a tremendous amount of class

She makes 104k per year and has a J.D.

To be fair, she wasn't like, "You will be crushing her dreams!" and was instead "These are the ones Addison wants. Here's the links, don't they look cute! We're going to The American Doll Store afterwards to get them for her. Just MC or Visa Giftcards as gifts for her to use, thanks!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 9, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Better be a kickin rad party. To be truthful I always have $25 rewards cards around that I want to get rid of because it is embarrassing when you get denied trying to buy a 4 dollar happy meal cause the balance is used up.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

At that point why not just have a kickstarter campaign that culminates in a party? Perhaps only people who pledge at the $25+ level get an invite.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elephanthead posted:

Better be a kickin rad party.

She took off today and a half-day yesterday because she needs 72-hours to prepare it.

Hopefully, it will be.

(Fun Fact: The party is being catered by a local restaurant who will only be serving food from The Official American Girl Doll Cookbook.)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

(Fun Fact: The party is being catered by a local restaurant who will only be serving food from The Official American Girl Doll Cookbook.)
What the gently caress.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

serving food from The Official American Girl Doll Cookbook

new thread title

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hoodwinker posted:

What the gently caress.

There's even an official American Girl restaurant

http://gawker.com/the-best-restaurant-in-new-york-is-the-american-girl-ca-1546979492

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Is American Girl publicly traded? I feel like I need to get in on this

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Barry posted:

Is American Girl publicly traded? I feel like I need to get in on this

Mattel bought out the original company back in the late 90s.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

She took off today and a half-day yesterday because she needs 72-hours to prepare it.

Hopefully, it will be.

Man every post seems to reveal a new layer in this onion of upper-middle class bland white girl toy purchases, anything else you can think of?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ate all the Oreos posted:

Man every post seems to reveal a new layer in this onion of upper-middle class bland white girl toy purchases, anything else you can think of?

Nothing else exciting that is related to American Girls.

Her daughter is putting on a tumbling show for all the guests and the moms are having a "wine contest" where everyone brings the best bottle of wine they can and then picks a winner.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

haha this is truly excellent jesus christ

I think he's graduated college and gotten a better job since then, but when he first put his deposit down, he was working as a waiter at some mid-level restaurant. He's also talked about buying Tesla stock.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Her daughter is putting on a tumbling show for all the guests and the moms are having a "wine contest" where everyone brings the best bottle of wine they can and then picks a winner.

This is a sitcom set-up, right? If not it should be.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
American Girls 18" doll + outfit:

Toys R Us 18" doll + outfit:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

spog posted:

American Girls 18" doll + outfit:

Toys R Us 18" doll + outfit:

I still feel sad about that knock-off My Little Pony I got in the '80s. And the Go-Bot.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Leon you work with some truly fascinating people?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

brugroffil posted:

Leon you work with some truly fascinating people?

80% of my work stories are about the same 3-4 people.

Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
A few of my friends work at Applebees on weekends and they've told me about an employee that is extremely BWM. Notoriously spends all of his available money on cigarettes and weed.

But the particular story they told me about was that he becomes automatically attached to any other female servers at Applebees. So much so that when they inevitably leave the job, he tries to hand them money as a farewell gift. Usually $40-60. Regardless of how long they've been at the job, how well he knows them, or where or why they're leaving.

One girl that worked there for a few months said she was moving out of town and quitting Applebees, he gave her $60. She ended up not moving out of town or quitting. She still kept the money. A few of the girls outright rejected the money (he tried to chase one throughout the restaurant with money in hand trying to give it to her).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

80% of my work stories are about the same 3-4 people.

Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Is that one guy (can't remember his relationship to you) still "interning" at a car rental place?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Enfys posted:

Is that one guy (can't remember his relationship to you) still "interning" at a car rental place?

He's my co-worker's boyfriend.

I don't think he is anymore. He quit to do the police academy, but didn't get in. He's been doing part-time security work, the National Guard one weekend a month, and refereeing kids soccer on the weekends.

He interned at Enterprise for a year and a half. It was a paid internship, though.

(He and my coworker are the ones that bought a house with 3% down because "the monthly payments are only a little higher than renting for more space.")

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 9, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So this lady blows $1000 a month on her kid's tumbling bullshit as well?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cowofwar posted:

So this lady blows $1000 a month on her kid's tumbling bullshit as well?

Yes.

Same lady.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sometimes I think people should have just tried hobbies themselves instead of creating tiny people that they could do hobbies through vicariously.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Enfys posted:

Sometimes I think people should have just tried hobbies themselves instead of creating tiny people that they could do hobbies through vicariously.

Youth Soccer (in America), Horseback Riding, Children's Beauty Pageants, the Music Industry, and Pianists would evaporate overnight.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

cowofwar posted:

I hope someone robs the party.

I'll do it, what's the address?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Poldarn posted:

I'll do it, what's the address?

3303 Pinnacle Hills Parkway
Rogers, Arkansas 72758
USA

(This is actually the Convention Center where the Wal-Mart Corporate Headquarters has its Christmas Parties. It would still probably be a good robbery target, though.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 9, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Goons, don't!!!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

He's my co-worker's boyfriend.

I don't think he is anymore. He quit to do the police academy, but didn't get in. He's been doing part-time security work, the National Guard one weekend a month, and refereeing kids soccer on the weekends.

He interned at Enterprise for a year and a half. It was a paid internship, though.

(He and my coworker are the ones that bought a house with 3% down because "the monthly payments are only a little higher than renting for more space.")

Didn't a police force sue for the right to hire people of below average intelligence because it helps their retention rate?

How bad does a person need to be in general to not get in?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

Didn't a police force sue for the right to hire people of below average intelligence because it helps their retention rate?

Speaking as somebody from the military: you have no idea.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blinkman987 posted:

He failed the PFT.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

This might cross into GWM territory, but my boss is having an American Girl Doll theme for her Daughter's 5th birthday party and requesting pre-paid Mastercard and Visa giftcards only as gifts. Her daughter wants to go to the American Girl store and pick up a Doll and some clothes as her presents.

The Doll + 3 Outfits that she wants are about $650.

I will give odds of 2-1 that the amount you gave on your giftcard will be mentioned, or alluded to, during your next performance review.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

spog posted:

I will give odds of 2-1 that the amount you gave on your giftcard will be mentioned, or alluded to, during your next performance review.

I'm not going and management doesn't get performance reviews.

:smug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Blinkman987 posted:

It was more like, the right to refuse to hire above average intelligence people. I don't remember details or anything but that's definitely what was reported.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It was more like, the right to refuse to hire above average intelligence people. I don't remember details or anything but that's definitely what was reported.

It was a police force in Connecticut and they sued for the right to change their "merit hiring" rules.

They wanted to ability to reject applicants with advanced degrees or who scored very high on proficiency tests for entry-level jobs and certain desk work.

The reasoning is that in order to get those jobs, they have to go through the police academy and training.

- There is limited time, money, and space for police academy cadets.
- Merit rules required them to hire these people if they applied (because they were the best qualified on paper).
- These people were statistically the most likely to be bored/not challenged by the job or have much better opportunities available elsewhere.
- That meant that these people were most likely to leave.
- That meant the police had to wait until another cadet class graduated to fill that position and spend time, money, and limited cadet slots to train a new person (who would get the job if they had very high scores or an advanced degree) and then they would be likely to leave again.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This might cross into GWM territory, but my boss is having an American Girl Doll theme for her Daughter's 5th birthday party and requesting pre-paid Mastercard and Visa giftcards only as gifts. Her daughter wants to go to the American Girl store and pick up a Doll and some clothes as her presents.

The Doll + 3 Outfits that she wants are about $650.

Making other people pay for American Girl doll merchandise is solid GWM.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have an attic full of American Girl dolls and accessories because gently caress all we're not buying this poo poo again for our eventual granddaughters/sensitive grandsons.

Thousands of dollars worth of this poo poo. To the extend I started describing monetary units as American Girl dolls.

"We need new tires and it's going to cost 8 American Girl dolls."

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have an attic full of American Girl dolls and accessories because gently caress all we're not buying this poo poo again for our eventual granddaughters/sensitive grandsons.

Thousands of dollars worth of this poo poo. To the extend I started describing monetary units as American Girl dolls.

"We need new tires and it's going to cost 8 American Girl dolls."

Tell us the story of you were BWM re: American Girl Dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"Should I take out a second mortgage for my horse? He only eats American dolls and I think I can use the equity I have in my truck as collateral. The only problem is all of my savings are tied up in bitcoin and my fiancé wants to use that money to pay for our destination wedding at Disney land." :thunk: