Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
But the best deck in modern is a control deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The only good Magic player is a dead one, I always say.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

myDad posted:

But the best deck in modern is a control deck

It is actually an aggro control deck or a tempo deck which means

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

It is actually an aggro control deck or a tempo deck which means

What deck archetype is "winning the die roll" ?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

A big flaming stink posted:

Gotta win the flip so you can thoughtsieze their thoughtsieze.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I went to look up some lists and oh wow there's Gideon of the Trials in a few

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Vintage.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I went to look up some lists and oh wow there's Gideon of the Trials in a few

Yeah, people will try anything. I really don't know what that card is supposed to do, especially in a control deck. Gain you 4 life?

lol

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, people will try anything. I really don't know what that card is supposed to do, especially in a control deck. Gain you 4 life?

lol

It's supposed to give you an emblem which makes Gideon, Ally of Zendikar even dumber than it already was.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

lol

Makes it so you can't die vs Ad Nauseum?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Makes it so you can't die vs Ad Nauseum?

Is it the only deck that its good against? I don't think silver bullets against ad nauseum is worth a sideboard slot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Is it the only deck that its good against? I don't think silver bullets against ad nauseum is worth a sideboard slot.

Ad Nauseum is apparently the deck's worst matchup so it might be worth it? It's fine against most decks that aren't packing red too.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Ouch

But for real some weird UWx builds keep popping up as 5-0s. A couple people have started showing up to FNM with Restore Balance/As Foretold decks.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just run Enchanted Evening, Mycosynth Lattice, March of the Machines, Opalescence, Conspiracy (for Saproling), Life and Limb, Living Lands, and then play Ghostly Flicker and try to figure out what the gently caress just happened.

All of your cards are 1/1 Forest Saproling Enchantment Artifact Land Creatures and you flicker two of them?

The only thing I'm not clear on is whether they are green (because of Life and Limb) or colorless (because of Mycosynth Lattice), and if all your actual land cards will die as a state-based action because they temporarily become 0/0 creatures if you flicker Life and Limb and Living Lands specifically (are state-based conditions checked during resolution of a spell, or after the spell finishes resolving)

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 9, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ad Nauseum is apparently the deck's worst matchup so it might be worth it? It's fine against most decks that aren't packing red too.

I'm not sure how it beats Ad Nauseam tbh

first of all you need to playing against someone who doesn't bring in Echoing Truth, and then you need to also have some way to beat lightning storm to kill gideon with a labman followup

Jabor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 9, 2017

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

St0rmD posted:

All of your cards are 1/1 Forest Saproling Enchantment Artifact Land Creatures and you flicker two of them?

The only thing I'm not clear on is whether they are green (because of Life and Limb) or colorless (because of Mycosynth Lattice), and if all your actual land cards will die as a state-based action because they temporarily become 0/0 creatures if you flicker Life and Limb and Living Lands specifically (are state-based conditions checked during resolution of a spell, or after the spell finishes resolving)

For the first, it's based on timestamp order. For the second, state based actions are only checked when a player would receive priority. Though, there are targets you can pick for ghostly flicker to destroy all lands here (if they weren't already).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

I'm not sure how it beats Ad Nauseam tbh

first of all you need to playing against someone who doesn't bring in Echoing Truth, and then you need to also have some way to beat lightning storm to kill gideon with a labman followup

game 1 they might not have echoing truth and storm + labman is a shitload of mana

but yea a lot of people are dumb and don't realize that if a good ad nauseam player is capable of drawing their entire deck, you're probably dead no matter what

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

game 1 they might not have echoing truth and storm + labman is a shitload of mana

but yea a lot of people are dumb and don't realize that if a good ad nauseam player is capable of drawing their entire deck, you're probably dead no matter what

oh this is maindeck? that seems even worse.

it's not even a "shitload of mana" though, like if ad nauseam is going off turn 4 they can play their 4th land, pitch spirit guides to lightning storm gideon, and then pass the turn with a hand of angel's grace, lab man, cantrip, untapped land, 3x pact of negation and you somehow have to fight through all of those to stop them winning next turn

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Announcement week

Monday: Rosewater's article on standard and announcement on changes to sets going forward

Tuesday: Magic Digital and B&R announcements

Wednesday: Announcement of new products

Thursday: Organized play announcement for 2018

Friday: HoD preview stream from Vegas

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

Announcement week

Monday: Rosewater's article on standard and announcement on changes to sets going forward

This is going to be good. :allears: I'm excited to see what they believe is going to fix Standard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BJPaskoff posted:

This is going to be good. :allears: I'm excited to see what they believe is going to fix Standard.

Their fix is that you have to throw all of your cards that rotate out of Standard into the trash. You can mail them in for a Magic Planeswalker™ Voucher at one dollar per 1,000 cards sent in (customer pays for shipping costs) that can be used on Magic Puzzle Quest or Magic Duels. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing. Cards opened from packs of Iconic Masters, Commander 2017, Commander Anthology, and all other supplemental sets must be destroyed by fire after purchase. Containers of limited edition Purifying Fire™ featuring artwork of Chandra may be purchased for $6.66 at authorized Wizards retailers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

I laugh at people who still cling the idea that standard is fine right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

Announcement week

Well that's ominous.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

BJPaskoff posted:

If they ban anything right before GP Vegas I'm assuming there will be some pissed off people there. Not like there ever is a time when bannings won't piss people off but If they do people will be scrambling to the vendors at Vegas for cards to play in the standard event

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

I laugh at people who still cling the idea that standard is fine right now.

It's a touch better now that Felidar Guardian is gone, but Aetherworks Marvel needs to die in a fire. Whatever deck comes out on top after that, like BG Constrictor, won't have the power of a turn-four combo win.

Dehtraen posted:

If they ban anything right before GP Vegas I'm assuming there will be some pissed off people there. Not like there ever is a time when bannings won't piss people off but If they do people will be scrambling to the vendors at Vegas for cards to play in the standard event

They will not have changes to the banlists for Modern and Legacy take effect until after GP Las Vegas.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 9, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

People seem to think it's gonna be some sort of core set returning since there were questions about that on one of the recent market research surveys. I wouldn't be surprised to see the spring block be replaced with a core set and a standalone large 'return to ___' set, with the fall/winter sets continuing to be new plane blocks.

Dehtraen posted:

Vegas is Legacy/Limited/Modern, there's no Standard main event.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
When was the last time Standard was good? I quit playing right before they banned Jace and Stoneforge because that was loving dumb, I do remember Alara-Zendikar being fun as gently caress before that by the time RoE came out, but prior to that the field was like 75% stupid Jund decks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

When was the last time Standard was good? I quit playing right before they banned Jace and Stoneforge because that was loving dumb, I do remember Alara-Zendikar being fun as gently caress before that by the time RoE came out, but prior to that the field was like 75% stupid Jund decks.

Theros/M15/KTK

I've posted this before, but http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8770&f=ST

All these decks were really good.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 9, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

The best standard was rav/tsp or tsp/lor before Morningtide got printed, but the last good one was probably som/inn.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

They would be hilariously dumb to announce a new modern/legacy banning right before a GP and not have them become effective the following Monday.

So I do actually expect this to happen.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DariusLikewise posted:

Never.

Nothing about Magic has ever been good. Everything you've ever wanted is a lie.

Despair.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Dehtraen posted:

The only thing that should be banned from any format right now is Marvel in standard. I swear to god if they gently caress with Modern I'm going to pop a blood vessel.

If they arbitrarily decide that Death's Shadow decks need to die they'll ban Street Wraith and pretend like it's the exact same thing as Gitaxian Probe. Storm could also be in the crosshairs because every time someone casts Grapeshot for lethal the timed explosives implanted at the base of every WotC employee's skull ticks down an extra 5 seconds but banning Grapeshot means they just immediately go off.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Innistrad-RTR and Theros-Khans were the two great Standard formats since then. Both had upwards of a dozen good decks at any given time and good gameplay all around.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DariusLikewise posted:

But for real, my favorite part of that year of Standard was when Zendikar was new, people lost their god drat minds that blue was a weak color in the format until Worldwake came out. Though it was fun playing Quenchable Fire and getting in six damage in a single spell for three months.

God I miss that version of Red Deck Wins so much. Goblin Guide, Hellspark Elemental, Hell's Thunder, Ball Lightning...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anathemancer was an awesome card.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

ShaneB posted:

Theros/M15/KTK

I've posted this before, but http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8770&f=ST

All these decks were really good.

The Shortest Path posted:

The best standard was rav/tsp or tsp/lor before Morningtide got printed, but the last good one was probably som/inn.

Tales of Woe posted:

Innistrad-RTR and Theros-Khans were the two great Standard formats since then. Both had upwards of a dozen good decks at any given time and good gameplay all around.

The common theme I think here is Standard is fun when you can play 3+ colors and not have a slow deck and pre-turn 5 combo decks don't exist

Star Man posted:

But for real, my favorite part of that year of Standard was when Zendikar was new, people lost their god drat minds that blue was a weak color in the format until Worldwake came out. Though it was fun playing Quenchable Fire and getting in six damage in a single spell for three months.

God I miss that version of Red Deck Wins so much. Goblin Guide, Hellspark Elemental, Hell's Thunder, Ball Lightning...

I think this is the build you are talking about?

http://decks.tcgplayer.com/magic/standard/anthony-eason/red-deck-wins/661068

That deck was incredibly fun to play with and against. I usually ran the LSV Naya deck with Basilisk Collar, Cunning Sparkmage, Stoneforge Mystic and the whole bunch. It got even better with Fuana Shaman which allowed you to pretty much tutor any utility creature in your deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

The only thing that should be banned from any format right now is Marvel in standard. I swear to god if they gently caress with Modern I'm going to pop a blood vessel.

If they arbitrarily decide that Death's Shadow decks need to die they'll ban Street Wraith and pretend like it's the exact same thing as Gitaxian Probe. Storm could also be in the crosshairs because every time someone casts Grapeshot for lethal the timed explosives implanted at the base of every WotC employee's skull ticks down an extra 5 seconds but banning Grapeshot means they just immediately go off.

I swear to God if they ban anything from the Shadow decks and it's not Shadow itself I give up on WotC. And I'd be fine with Grapeshot and Empty going if it means maybe we can have some stuff unbanned (which it won't but whatever.) Also you forgot Deathrite.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

DariusLikewise posted:

The common theme I think here is Standard is fun when you can play 3+ colors and not have a slow deck and pre-turn 5 combo decks don't exist

Yes but the root of it is choice. When you only push cards that are 2-3 colors you don't end up with one deck that just splashes all the pushed cards it can. Instead you have to make choices on what deck to play and what to incorporate in it and the different choices have different pros and cons.

Siege Rhino was really good, but you had to play 3 specific colors and you lost out on the ability to play other really good cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Shortest Path posted:

Anathemancer was an awesome card.

It's a card that I wish I could play with in Modern to get an effect like Price of Progress with a creature attached to it, but it's probably just better to play Fulminator Mage to pick off utility lands or color splashes in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

suicidesteve posted:

I swear to God if they ban anything from the Shadow decks and it's not Shadow itself I give up on WotC. And I'd be fine with Grapeshot and Empty going if it means maybe we can have some stuff unbanned (which it won't but whatever.) Also you forgot Deathrite.

They will only ever ban enablers because that's the axiom they chose and no one with authority at WotC can make judgements on a case-by-case basis.

They live in some alternative universe where people are going to play Grapeshot in decks where casting it for a storm count of 6 or 7 is a reasonable play and totally doable if they just ban the right cards.

Deathrite probably needs the axe but I doubt WotC is going to touch Legacy and I think Leovold is more egregious anyway.