Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat I don't know what you're talking about.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah it's the same with me. Backwards to forwards I've done the proper way naturally since I started. It's a lot easier to go from less comfortable position to a more comfortable position than the other way around.
Same here as well; I attribute it to straight survival instinct. :v: My teammate on D admits he is 100% the other way around and it's weird. He can haul rear end and is EASILY the fastest dude on our team will swing around into backskate like it's nothing but he can't get out of backskate back into forward that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Vargatron posted:

I signed up for the adult skills and drills clinic at the rink and I'm evidently the only goalie. In fact they don't even have a goalie specific plan but there will be some sort of goalie coach there.

Or I could just be taking shots for 6 weeks, either way is fine.

That's pretty much all I've been doing. They only got some goalie coaches in for our sessions within the last month or two. It's been an average of like 15 minutes of work with the goalie coach then all of the shots.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I'm playing on two summer league teams, and I have a small tournament with a 3rd team this week.

I had games Sunday and last night, with one on Thursday, 2 on Saturday, and potentially 3 on Sunday. I'm already banged up from the first two games with taking a slapper to the left foot and the bare part of my left thigh.

I'm gonna be drained but man it's so loving worth it. Hockey.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

Also I haven't skated in like a month so I'm going to die in summer league.

Didn't die but apparently our team is going to continue the plan of getting absolutely shelled all game while the ringer our captain brought in tries to score 7 goals by himself (he only got 4). It seems like a good chunk of the team would like to move down a league but my theory is that the captain won't move us out of upper C because the league has a rule that you can only play in adjacent leagues (so you can play in upper c and lower b but not lower b and lower c) and he want to continue playing on teams in upper c and lower b. I might need to stage a coup if this keeps up.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Woof, last night was bad.

Couple guys coming up the boards fighting for the puck. Ref was up against the boards and couldn't get out of the way in time. All 3 run into each other. Pretty much a combination of incidental contact and bad luck. One of the players falls, takes the refs legs out. His legs fly up in the air and he lands on his head. Ref stays down, other ref blows it dead. Totally looks like the ref landed on his head and is pretty badly concussed. Turns out, one of the players skates ended up getting him across the wrist. Huge pool of blood on the ice already and he's still bleeding a lot. Turns out the cut went to the bone and sliced all his tendons. Luckily we have a couple firefighter paramedics on our team, so they get the bleeding stopped. Takes about 15 mins for 911 to show up. After they work on him for 30 mins, they stretcher him off the ice. Took the rink crew like 15 minutes to scrape the blood off.

Not a good night. Glad we had a couple fire paramedics on our team though.

Yikes

There are definitely more than a few moments where I'm happy one of or good friends in Vancouver is a senior paramedic

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah with gear on there should be no reason at all to be scared to fall on ice. I always forget how much is sucks to fall on ice until I catch a lovely piece of ice while pond skating or something while wearing no gear. It really makes you think about how tough figure skaters actually are despite the stigma of how wussy figure skating is. In high school we had one practice a week after a figure skating group and this one girl about my age had been practicing some sort of jump, not sure if was an axle or what. Anyway I don't think this girl landed one the entire year. Jump, fall, get up, try again. Over and over and over again. I would have probably quit after taking one of those on the hip or the knee and she just kept going. I don't think I've ever been hurt by strictly impacting the ice any time I've been wearing gear.

Figure skaters have finally caved to sanity and most amateurs now train with butt and knee pads. They're much thinner / lighter / more flexible than hockey pads but they take the worst sting away.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
3v3 Month has begun and so begins the Hockey vs. My Body challenge. I'm skating 3v3 Tuesday,Wednesday, and Thursday. I'm playing standard games Thursday night, and Sunday, possibly filling in Mondays. My Tuesday/Thursday day skates are with all current KHL/Euro pros and at least one current NHL player right now. I brought my gopro yesterday but sadly it stopped recording and just appears to be empty, I have the sd card in a recovery app right now. Thankfully my Hero5 showed up later that day, hopefully these random recording kills stop happening on the new device.

I'll post vids of pro sessions if you guys dont find them annoying, I havent been in any of those morning workout skates with Sam Lofquist but he's been in these 3v3's.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Figure skaters have finally caved to sanity and most amateurs now train with butt and knee pads. They're much thinner / lighter / more flexible than hockey pads but they take the worst sting away.

I've seen those for sale in various pro shops and remember thinking what the hell took them so long to integrate padding into leggings for practice and poo poo. The story I told was from 20 years ago or so. There was no padding back then, I don't think. Even if she was wearing padding I still like the memory of her being the toughest person on the ice, hockey players included.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Oh I agree, figure skaters are all tough, even with their pads it hurts like hell to crash land a jump

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

titanium posted:

I brought my gopro yesterday but sadly it stopped recording and just appears to be empty, I have the sd card in a recovery app right now. Thankfully my Hero5 showed up later that day, hopefully these random recording kills stop happening on the new device.

Oooh I think I know the answer to this: Reformat your memory card when it's inside/via the camera. My hero black 3 does this and it is A Problem with gopros. I reformat my memory card before every time I use the camera now and haven't had a problem.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

Monarchs?

I was thinking lada, but they might be in the east side league. They were notorious for "oh, our regular goalie is away for playoffs, here is our div 2 replacement."

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Just arrived at pro skate....and held the door open for Matt Cooke

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you sure it was Matt Cooke? How can you trust your memories after he put his elbow through your temple?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

titanium posted:

:ohdear:

i hope you didnt get a concussion!!!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

titanium posted:

Don't jump to concussions.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Tank44 posted:

I was thinking lada, but they might be in the east side league. They were notorious for "oh, our regular goalie is away for playoffs, here is our div 2 replacement."

Lada is definitely in SKAHL. Well, their three or four teams are, plus their 3v3 team. It's fun playing against them and just hearing a bunch of angry shouting in Russian.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

titanium posted:

I hope you stomped on his achilles as he walked past and then gave him a good "AHHHHH .... GOTCHA"

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I figured out the root to my forward-to-backwards transition difficulties. It turns out I can't glide backwards on one foot for poo poo. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I figured out the root to my forward-to-backwards transition difficulties. It turns out I can't glide backwards on one foot for poo poo. :v:

Work your way up to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTq-vvQkjw&t=39s

With both edges. Both forward and backwards. :v:

When you start you won't have any arc whatsoever, it's fine to glide in a mostly straight line down the ice, just make a conscious effort to try and get onto whatever edge you're practicing. Eventually you'll get it. Doing it backwards will feel impossible but it can be done.

Added bonus is this will also help your crossovers a lot, the outside edge practice in particular is a big deal.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm already fairly decent at those going forward and on my inside edges, but yeah I suck at all other variations. I just wish I could get more ice time to work on the ten billion things I need to master in order to be good at hockey. There's never enough ice time. :negative:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just wish I could get more ice time to work on the ten billion things I need to master in order to be good at hockey.

The first step is to not get old.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bootcha posted:

The first step is to not get old.

Perhaps starting at age 34 wasn't the best idea then. :thunk:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Perhaps starting at age 34 wasn't the best idea then. :thunk:

The older you are, the more likely you are to be able to afford the gear and the beer. Beer being the most important.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quick, I need a catchy team name that conveys the concept of "we are a bad team and our goalie will be seeing 100 shots".

Best I got is 'Negative Corsi' but that's pretty lame.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Had a game last night where I was playing D again.

I got 2 assists from breakout passes and had a few good rush plays. The highlight of the night was my ability to make contact with the puck resulting in several goals for the other team due to ricochets and redirects. First one was flukey and went off my skate as I was clearing the guy in front of the net. Second was a wrist shot that went off the shaft of my stick and changed direction. Third one was off my shinguard while clearing the front of the net again. Next was off my inner thigh while trying to save a goal as our goalie was down in scramble mode. Another hit my glove through traffic and in. It was a close back and forth game and tied until the last few minutes of the game where we scored and sunk the empty netter.

I realized at some point that our forwards must have come down with a sickness of some sort, they all seemed to be allergic to the defensive zone.

God I wish my captain would quit, or that half of my team would just migrate and form a new one.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

Quick, I need a catchy team name that conveys the concept of "we are a bad team and our goalie will be seeing 100 shots".

"98-99 Sabres"

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

The Titanics, because you both look good until you hit the ice! :haw:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsYvvv2kKg

Not my best outing, last weeks was better so of course it corrupted. I slow-mo'ed some really good moves by the skaters so it's not 100% goaliecentric, there's going to be 6 more of these skates this month.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

a bad team

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Loqieu posted:

"98-99 Sabres"

Hahaha, that was good.

So I bit the bullet during the Memorial Day gear sales and bought some new skates. I got them sharpened and went to play on Wednesday night and had to take them off after warmups and first shift because the right skate had no edge. I was trying to figure out if I could play with them at all since I could get a little bit of grip if I stayed on the ball of my right foot and put hardly any pressure on it but it was too easy to fall into my regular skating style and my foot would just go flying out from under me.

It sucks that the shop totally hosed my sharpening but in the long run not a big deal since they re-did them for free and I'm sure the break in period won't be too, too bad. Newer skates seem to break in pretty easy compared to the skates of yesteryear and fighting off blisters and poo poo. I was hoping to get at least one good skate in them before the summer league starts next week though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Modern skates compared to old school skates are night and day. They might not last nearly as long but holy poo poo is the break-in easier.

I can go into a store, buy a pair of 8.5 bauer vapors and hit the ice for 2 hours without so much as a hot spot.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

xzzy posted:

Colorado Avalanche

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Atlanta Franchise

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm still contemplating changing our 3v3 league name from Team Faceplant to Team DEFENSE?!? considering what we do to poor Brad0rd every week. :v:

E: maybe "Defense Is For Jerks" if there's no character limit

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 10, 2017

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"So I can type anything I want in this box?" is for the no character limit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I learned that "attempted tripping" is a thing tonight.

I was definitely loving with the guy, he'd been elbowing me in the side all night and when we bumped together fighting for a puck and I went down, I figured a couple shoves were justified. Too bad the ref was looking. :angel:

I gotta learn to retaliate away from the play.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

I gotta learn to retaliate away from the play.

Way away from the play. No refs in the parking lot.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

No goals in today's rat hockey game, not even that many shots, but I was much, much better defensively than I was last game. I broke up several plays and even stripped the best player on the other team once. :toot:

I got into a bad collision with another guy going for the puck. I landed face-down, squarely on my chest, and the other guy landed squarely on top of my back, knocking the wind out of me hard. I had to sit out for a couple shifts after that one. I feel fine now, but I have to imagine my ribs will be super sore tomorrow.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Had a tournament this weekend. We went 4-1, with our sole loss being the final. Our last 4 games were played within 24 hours, with 10 skaters. The team that beat us definitely deserved it, but had more rest and we pretty much ran out of gas by midway through.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

did you run out of booze though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

sellouts posted:

did you run out of booze though
Nope, we were prepared :v: