Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Probably not something we should speculate too heavily on, lest the thread gets gross again.

Today I learned that talking about bewbs makes Beet uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Everything about this game, from the 40 shows CIG makes every week, to the excuse documentaries (Road to Citizen Con aka stdh.mp4) to the backers claiming how much fun they're having in the "verse" has the strong stench of STDH. You could end anything Star Citizen related with "and that developer was Albert Einstein" and it would work.

"You don't understand game development." -- George Carlin

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

It's also very funny to me that the most original thing to come out of Star Citizen is the Stimpire bit.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

holy crow

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

lmao, checking in again... 2 minutes in the new ATV, did Sandi get a boobjob?

I dunno, is anyone around the office missing some tits?

(edit: their whole face looks like it has been worked on super hardcore)

(sorry)

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 9, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

X-Ultron posted:

It's also very funny to me that the most original thing to come out of Star Citizen is the Stimpire bit.

It is also somewhat sickening.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Virtual Captain posted:

Bear asses confirmed for 3.0?

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/873194971792367617

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Ah yeah, the dawn of the new Jesus Patch is upon us. I remember when it was 2.0, then it was 2.5. Now it's 3.0.

DAE feel like prospective backers should wait for 3.0. the current alpha is frustrating. honest opinions.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

When chest tumours get so bad that you put on a bra to support them and make your face and hair up to look like a lady, you know it's time to visit the docs. :magical:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pull up thread pull up

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
save us Assrapistdude420 and the schedule report!

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

We have entered the time where all will turn against us and seek our lives.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
i hear crobber doesnt even have real hair

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Star Citizen: That's just the tip of the asperg.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
"I’ve never heard someone say the word “systems” as much as I just did watching the latest Star Citizen 'Around the Verse' video."

heh, don't know if it's been posted

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/star-citizen-item-20-update

Deathsquid
Apr 26, 2017

TheAgent posted:

I'd say post huge tits, but there's enough pictures of Chris and his brother in the thread already

Here - 22 Cans and 1 Huge Tit:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Nick Elms of Gizmondo fame lets us know that they've simplified spawning in wank pods. It was a lot of flow graph complexity before to get those 12 commandos waking up in their pods but now there are spawn objects or whatever.

Simulated universe with thousands of independent mobile NPCs going about unique daily interactive schedules, two weeks.

They're also getting close to having the AI able to run unnaturally down the middle of a hallway.

Capital ships bustling with AI and player life as they all move smoothly about the ship replacing fuses and saluting, two weeks.

"The first Levski exterior VFX pass is underway!"

Totally gonna be in 3.0 at the end of the month :lol:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Deathsquid posted:

Here - 22 Cans and 1 Huge Tit:

It's that bald guy in the back, isn't it? :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chin posted:

Nick Elms of Gizmondo fame lets us know that they've simplified spawning in wank pods. It was a lot of flow graph complexity before to get those 12 commandos waking up in their pods but now there are spawn objects or whatever.

Simulated universe with thousands of independent mobile NPCs going about unique daily interactive schedules, two weeks.

They're also getting close to having the AI able to run unnaturally down the middle of a hallway.

Capital ships bustling with AI and player life as they all move smoothly about the ship replacing fuses and saluting, two weeks.

"The first Levski exterior VFX pass is underway!"

Totally gonna be in 3.0 at the end of the month :lol:

....and Evocati next week. Totally.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

big nipples big life posted:

Please tell me the person who wrote that has used the words "you don't understand game development" at some point in his redditing career.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ubik_Lives posted:

Is that significantly different to a software license though? I don't have an exclusive right to Windows 10, I can't give it away, but I could dispose of it. But if someone takes my Windows 10 key, they've denied me access to my licensed software. Or stealing your iTunes or Amazon Movies accounts. I don't own any of that stuff, I just have an agreement with the people who do. I feel like this must have been settled in a court somewhere. It can't be that there has never been a case involving someone being caught stealing laptops, with the contents of those laptops being considered either way for restitution.
They're both licenses, and how courts view them vary because in the end it's a contract claim made against the service provider and it depends on the contents of the specific license offered to the consumer. So in theory, the license can say "you're hosed" and that may well be the end that. I'm not personally aware of any case that has contested such a clause that was a defense when the provider screwed it up. Mostly though, because of the shitstorm such a stance would cause, providers don't try to strictly enforce it.

But in the end, these are claims based on contract law, or consumer protection laws in how a company may provide a service. You're not chasing a hacker for claims of theft to retrieve an iTunes account; such cases turn on questions on what duty you're owed as a subscriber, not an intrinsic right as a property owner.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:perfect:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

They're both licenses, and how courts view them vary because in the end it's a contract claim made against the service provider and it depends on the contents of the specific license offered to the consumer. So in theory, the license can say "you're hosed" and that may well be the end that. I'm not personally aware of any case that has contested such a clause that was a defense when the provider screwed it up. Mostly though, because of the shitstorm such a stance would cause, providers don't try to strictly enforce it.

^ this. There's been a bunch of claims against clickwraps and EULAs over time, but they've usually resulted in a more finely grained EULA rather than resulting to calling anything ephemeral and digital 'property', so it remains largely contractual and a headache that nobody really wants the test case for when someone attempts to claim grandpas iTunes Ska collection.

There's value in accounts, but it's largely contractual and dies with the owner.

palpable, palpable cognitive dissonance. Forebrain is completely panicking.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Please, thread, stop quoting that boob flexing abomination of a jpeg I mean gif

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

Well my sex bot that I keep in a rubbermaid container only has featureless tan lumps for breasts, so if liking that is wrong I don't want to be right :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Happy Friday Disappointment Day, commandos.

What features in 3.0 do you look forward to us delaying or removing today?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
... what?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wish I cared as much for something as much as these people do for what some person wrote about their precious game concept.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lladre posted:

I wish I cared as much for something as much as these people do for what some person wrote about their precious game concept.

All it takes is one purchase donation. Join them!

Also, the whole donation poo poo or "I didn't buy a ship I funded development" is pants-on-head retarded because CIG has an item in their store to do just that... donate 5$. Ok, maybe it gives you something dumb like a Big Benny's Soup Bowl on release of the game, but if ships are NOT the intended product, why not just actually donate money?

Why be concerned about getting a ship in return at all?

Oh, right, because owning a ship in a space sim game is sorta/kinda essential and not having one is dumb.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ubik_Lives posted:

Is that significantly different to a software license though? I don't have an exclusive right to Windows 10, I can't give it away, but I could dispose of it. But if someone takes my Windows 10 key, they've denied me access to my licensed software. Or stealing your iTunes or Amazon Movies accounts. I don't own any of that stuff, I just have an agreement with the people who do. I feel like this must have been settled in a court somewhere. It can't be that there has never been a case involving someone being caught stealing laptops, with the contents of those laptops being considered either way for restitution.

Windows licenses are handled a little differently because of their activation scheme. Your key is not your license, and your license is not your key. An OEM license allows you use of Windows on a specific machine, whereas a retail license you can install anywhere you like, and move it from system to system if you don't keep it on the previous systems, etc. The "license" is a concept that you just have to keep mental or spreadsheet track of. The "activation key" is just a technicality and since several are given with each license, it's historically assumed you'll use a specific key on with the systems you've licensed. If I am a legal owner of 10 Server 2012 R2 licenses, and 8 of the machines are activated with the 50-use MAK that came with the license package, and the last 2 are activated with some key I got from a friend, Microsoft couldn't give less of a poo poo. Activating the system is really not their concern - whether I've paid them for licenses is. You can even call them on the phone and they can manually activate the box without a key. Most companies do annual audits with Microsoft and all they care about is Number of Machine Cores Running OS vs. Number of OS Licenses.

So with that derail out of the way... this is one of the fastest growing areas of law - digital ownership. When you own 100 Steam games, what do you own? Do you have an agreement with Steam or the original publisher? If Steam goes out of business what are you still entitled to, or are you SOL?

I personally liken it to an annual pass for an amusement park. I pay my money, I can go into the park for 365 days. The park could go bankrupt and close, and I'm out that money, because there's nobody to give me a refund. Maybe I get sick and can't go 3/4 of the year. Again, I'm SOL. Maybe on the day I plan to go I get into an accident. Historically, not every cash transaction was "cash money exchanged for physical item with all ownership privileges". People have paid for intangibles for as long as there have been people: prostitutes or other companionship, guard duty, plays/movies/other entertainment, gym memberships with tiers of privileges, and so on. There's a reason the phrase "get your money's worth" is older than dirt: sometimes you're not paying for a thing, you're paying for the potential to do a thing.

The reason all this circles back to a useless conversation with respect to Star Citizen is that because Chris Roberts is in charge, this project never had a prayer of being completed, much less of being good. Everyone who pumped money into this is going to get hosed in the rear end without lube, and they can Reddit-Rage all they want - they're getting poo poo in return. All the armchair lawyers in the world can't restore self-respect to someone who only bought in because they had none to begin with.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

If I am a legal owner of 10 Server 2012 R2 licenses....

If you connected them to the internet, you wouldn't be the 'owner' for long. Ba-dum *tsch*.

edit: Florida tree cattes

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 9, 2017

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All it takes is one purchase donation. Join them!

Also, the whole donation poo poo or "I didn't buy a ship I funded development" is pants-on-head retarded because CIG has an item in their store to do just that... donate 5$. Ok, maybe it gives you something dumb like a Big Benny's Soup Bowl on release of the game, but if ships are NOT the intended product, why not just actually donate money?

Why be concerned about getting a ship in return at all?

Oh, right, because owning a ship in a space sim game is sorta/kinda essential and not having one is dumb.

Imagine if it were PBS taking donations and giving out totes. You would have gangs of these people online discussing the various strengths of the fabrics used for the totes. The size and volume capacity of the totes. The types of missions you could take your tote on. There would be online trading posts for buying and selling totes without donating more to PBS. The totes would be purchasable with lifetime guarantees to maximize their values. There would be a rush to donate more every time a new concept tote would be released.

None of these people would give a poo poo otherwise about donating to PBS to keep public broadcasting alive. It would all be about the totes.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

If you connected them to the internet, you wouldn't be the 'owner' for long. Ba-dum *tsch*.

edit: Florida tree cattes

opossums appear to have poor chewing skills

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
I want to be the guy that mines the materials for the totes. Especially the rare mats located on a distant moon that has sand worms guarding it. I also have a friend that wants to run the alien sweat shop where the space asians in SC work for just 1 UEC a day :dreams:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

DarkRefreshment posted:

I want to be the guy that mines the materials for the totes. Especially the rare mats located on a distant moon that has sand worms guarding it. I also have a friend that wants to run the alien sweat shop where the space asians in SC work for just 1 UEC a day :dreams:

I want to be the guy who writes the lore for the totes that come from a race that is barely legally distinct enough from Klingons to not be sued.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Sarsapariller posted:

Time for some stories:

So I fired up Bridge Crew for the first time today. After a brief time playing around in the tutorials I decided to launch a single player mission rather than inflict myself on anyone else as a bridge officer. The basic setup for single player is that you are in the captain's chair, and generic AI npc's are sitting at all the other stations. You get the objectives and the big picture and you can touch various buttons on your chair to pull up additional information, and send commands to the npc crew by gesturing at them and picking off a radial menu. You can also take the stations over and do the jobs yourself, but the AI are generally competent. Except for Ensign Rao. gently caress that guy.

Our first mission is some kind of shakedown cruise- it's possible that Starfleet did not trust me to handle their fully armed "Science vessel" after some incidents during simulation. Apparently you shouldn't tell your instructor "Today is a good day to die!" the second he hands you control of the helm. So we're out doing the usual star trek poo poo- scanning a bunch of hosed-up cargo ships that all seem to have flown into a space minefield(!) somehow. Let's talk about space-mines for a minute. Shouldn't these be really easy to avoid? Like, in a normal minefield, you've got to walk across the flat surface that they are presumable buried under. But in space you can just fly around them. Well, you could. Ensign Rao apparently came from the Khan school of piloting, the one where they don't teach you about the third goddamn dimension. Also for some reason he had a disturbing tendency to read the "Engage target" order as "Fly directly at the target and rub it on your cheeks like a downy bunny."

So this predictably leads to several moments of panic as I, Engineering, and Tactical are all scrambling to make up for Helm's incompetence. I boost phaser range up past 20km and order tactical to begin sniping the mines out of the sky long before Ensign Rao can give them a hug. Crisis passed, we come to our first downed cruiser. Something something radiation, something something quantum neutrinos, beam us off the ship, I'm not really listening... wait, did they say scuttle? I get to blow up a friendly ship, on my first day in starfleet! They'll even thank me for it! I order tactical to begin beaming everyone aboard and begin counting down the seconds until I can issue that sweet sweet fire order. Finally, the moment arrives.

Three problems with that, as it turns out. First of all, Ensign Rao has not given up on his commitment to personally inspecting the loving grundle of every goddamn space object that I target, and while we've been beaming people aboard, he has crept within 5 km of this ship. Second, ships tend to make... really big explosions when you blow them up. Safe range for this thing is like 25km. I'm not a nuclear physicist but I'm pretty sure that's a whole loving lot of megatons, especially in space where there's basically nothing to transmit the energy. Third, that whole thing with beaming people aboard? Apparently it requires lowering the shields. Tactical didn't deem that important information, I guess. They also didn't feel like raising them was a high priority afterwards.

So this thing goes up like someone left the gas on over the weekend in grandma's apartment while we're right up its rear end in a top hat with absolutely no shields. The entire bridge kicks like Ensign Rao finally got that close encounter he keeps aiming for, and suddenly half of my bridge is on fire and the other half is eyeing the escape pods. Somehow, miraculously, the ship holds together. I shove Engineering out of the way and take over the repair crews- 26% hull and virtually every system is crippled. But whatever! It's my first day on the job, I'm sure every captain comes back from his shakedown cruise with just a little more than one quarter of his ship still displaying the original paint. I give all of my crewmen the stink eye and explain that nobody is ever going to mention this. Nobody. Also, I resolve that Ensign Rao is going to have an unfortunate airlock accident the second we get off duty.

Damage contained, for the most part, I sit back down in the captain's chair. Looks like there's one more ship they want me to go inspect before I get back to base. Okay, fine, how bad can it-

It's last reported position was just across the border in the Neutral Zone.

Ship name: The Kobayashi Maru.

Oh, just gently caress me then. Ensign Rao, go prepare a second seat in that airlock. I think my tour's ending here.

Thanks, I'll keep this game in mind for if I ever get a VR set!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Well my sex bot that I keep in a rubbermaid container only has featureless tan lumps for breasts, so if liking that is wrong I don't want to be right :colbert:

Every time I see this I want to know what was so hosed up that the guy had to redact it in a photo where his imaginary sex robot accessories already includes lube, costumes and the sex robot itself.

It's driving me crazy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

History Comes Inside! posted:

Every time I see this I want to know what was so hosed up that the guy had to redact it in a photo where his imaginary sex robot accessories already includes lube, costumes and the sex robot itself.

It's driving me crazy.

He has two boxes of "special attachments" for the doll (all from Bad Dragon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's driving me crazy.

You make it sound like this is abnormal.