Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Lockerroom talk is lockerroom talk. How you conduct yourself in public is different.

I guess you are not aware of the ad I'm talking about, but I saw it so many times in Iowa I got sick of it. Trump was angrily swearing during a campaign speech in front of a large cheering crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Swearing is bad for Dems and good for GOP

OH YEAH?

*Chokeslams U*

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Javes posted:

When/where did the notion of Paul Ryan being a policy wonk come from?

The same place every dumb regressive idea comes from. They just keep repeating it until people get tired of correcting them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rigel posted:

I guess you are not aware of the ad I'm talking about, but I saw it so many times in Iowa I got sick of it. Trump was angrily swearing during a campaign speech in front of a large cheering crowd.

A private rally with friends and supporters at an indoor convention center is effectively a lockerroom.

Gillibrand was speaking outdoors to students.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

A private rally with friends and supporters at an indoor convention center is effectively a lockerroom.

So she should have used her outdoors voice then? 🤔

Edit: I legit have no idea what you're saying.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 9, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
ima poo poo all over this here fuckin bar

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

students are normally known for keeping their language clean

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Javes posted:

When/where did the notion of Paul Ryan being a policy wonk come from?

Washington reporters don't actually read proposals or do math, if it looks impressive that's good enough.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It seems the consensus of the thread is that the greatest threat to Trump's presidency is too many McNuggets. :btroll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QNXnNftWk

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

You mean he hadn't studied this stuff before? Like during the transition? :stare:

"I'm new to this and don't know these darn laws and you're silly constitution, so I guess I'll learn them" is a thing the President of the United States actually said.

:stare:

Where can I see this full conference in all its stupidity?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:lol:

Bullshit, like loving hell that qualifies as "lockerroom".

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

evilweasel posted:

Washington reporters don't actually read proposals or do math, if it looks impressive that's good enough.

"He helped Scott Walker pay teachers less so he'll be great at balancing the federal budget!"

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I'm pretty sure he's doing the republican parlor trick of "Hey! Look how big this book of regulations is! Isn't that crazy!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012's just giving you a preview of how well anything "out of the ordinary" would play for Democrats, i.e. they are absolutely not going to get away with totally innocuous things (like cursing) that Republicans would just soar right by with

It's extremely easy to imagine all of the excuses Republican commentators will have when a Democrat gets poo poo on by the media for doing something Trump got away with cleanly in 2016. All too easy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Snuffman posted:

You mean he hadn't studied this stuff before? Like during the transition? :stare:

"I'm new to this and don't know these darn laws and you're silly constitution, so I guess I'll learn them" is a thing the President of the United States actually said.

ya he's also the current republican standards bearer lol

and idolized by 30% of the population lol

at least they're consistent. they loving hated obama and the man could probs recite the constitution word for word

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Swearing does have negative electoral consequences for Democrats.

They need to bring back the working-class white voters in the Midwest that have left them. Swearing in the Midwest is considered very urban and unappealing to working-class whites.

Nah, I'm calling bullshit on this as well. (so to speak!) Voters who would write off a candidate for swearing at all, in any rally anywhere, are not going to vote for Democrats under any circumstance.

The :sad:est troll.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Javes posted:

I'm pretty sure he's doing the republican parlor trick of "Hey! Look how big this book of regulations is! Isn't that crazy!"

Just write "Don't do bad things!" on a piece of paper, so easy, how did these politicians never learn this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CascadeBeta posted:

So she should have used her indoor voice then? 🤔

Edit: I legit have no idea what you're saying.

For better or worse, context is important. Donald Trump was not associated with urban life the way that Gillibrand is. He is a man of the white working-class in rural and suburban America. The same group that Gillibrand needs to appeal to.

When Gillibrand does things like:

- Drop the "F bomb"
- Pursue energy policies that make careers in extraction industries redundant
- Dress in a certain style - (saggy pants, T-shirts with memorials on them, and gold jewelry)
- Talk about guns in a context that is 100% through the lens of a city-dweller
- Disproportionately picks music with lower treble levels
- Highlights transportation policies that are anti-car or don't seem like rural lifestyle was considered when formulating them

That helps reinforce her image as urban. Being urban is antithetical to being white working-class.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 9, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

Oddly enough the person in the administration who comes out looking the best is Rick loving Perry. Because he's just stayed quiet listened to the career people, and is just doing his job.

This is an unsettling reality that we live in.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This is going to sound terrible but I don't want a woman on the ticket next time. I mean, I would love Gillibrand or Harris as President. I wanted Clinton so badly to become president. I voted for her in the primary and donated and of course voted in the general for her. I honestly believe being a woman cost her a lot of votes. Every little issue with her was magnified 1000x worse than it would have been with a male candidate. If you run that election over, with a highly qualified but kinda boring candidate who is actually quite progressive, but over decades of service has taken stands that seem questionable to liberals 20 years later, I think that person wins. (That person is John Kerry, btw).

I want the 2020 win to be massive enough to bring out libertopia, and I don't want to lose votes the same way Clinton did. It's not fair. It's terrible and I hate myself for saying it. But I want to win and win big and I think you need a ticket with a folksy charming white guy and a clean cut "articulate" black guy.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Donald Trump was not associated with urban life the way that Gillibrand is. He is a man of the white working-class in rural and suburban America.

But he literally couldn't be farther from that demographic except for the color of his skin.

Every last one of his actions has been a huge gently caress you to the working class.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What in the actual gently caress

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

i really want to win but i dont think having a black man from chicago is going to appeal to voters. THEY ONLY RECOGNIZE THEIR OWN.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Hollismason posted:

" Politics should become more circus like " - some loving idiot

That would be idiotic, but that's not what people are talking about here. People are talking about channeling real, authentic anger that people are feeling about our horrible government. One can argue whether or not Gillibrand or Perez or whoever is succeeding in making it seem real and authentic, as opposed to just being gimmicky (I haven't seen Gillibrand's speech, so I'm reserving judgment there), but come on.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

Numbers guy.

https://i.imgur.com/C3jwFHv.jpg No one cares about this one.

This is what someone who isn't holding the bar down looks like

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is going to sound terrible but

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

skylined! posted:

ima poo poo all over this here fuckin bar

And suddenly I like you again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Majorian posted:

That would be idiotic, but that's not what people are talking about here. People are talking about channeling real, authentic anger that people are feeling about our horrible government. One can argue whether or not Gillibrand or Perez or whoever is succeeding in making it seem real and authentic, as opposed to just being gimmicky (I haven't seen Gillibrand's speech, so I'm reserving judgment there), but come on.

It does come across a little forced when she says "gently caress," but she does say that Trump was "bitching" about something almost like she wasn't even thinking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHuaMkblfpg

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

PhazonLink posted:

Numbers guy.

https://i.imgur.com/C3jwFHv.jpg No one cares about this one.

On the topic of embarrassing photos, someone in the previous Trump thread posted a really hilariously awful family photo of the Huckabees that wasn't this awful one:

I think it was a Christmas photo, but I can't seem to find it online.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Every time you wring hands about swearing, a Republican gets its wings.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

What in the actual gently caress

He's trolling you. It's a thing he does.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Snuffman posted:

You're not surprised. You're not shocked. He'd done none of these things and you know it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I don't know how people aren't realizing that Trotsky 2012 is loving with us. Kirsten Gillibrand, the senator from NY who wears sagging pants and chains

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/SenateDems/status/873001941521108992

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RiggenBlaque posted:

On the topic of embarrassing photos, someone in the previous Trump thread posted a really hilariously awful family photo of the Huckabees that wasn't this awful one:

I think it was a Christmas photo, but I can't seem to find it online.

Is this picture wheezing for anyone else?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I can't tell you how happy I'd be to be wrong about this but I think being a woman is an automatic -2 or -3 nationally.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I'm enjoying the shifting narrative as the day goes on from "LEAKY LEAKER MUST BE ARRESTED!" to "Umm...Oh, just Trump throwing lawsuits at someone he doesn't like again...nevermind".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Every two generations or so every swear gets normalized to be normal words and other words (including words that were once acceptable) become taboo.

No one really cared 20 years ago if you used religious swears, now no one really cares if you use body function swears, they are rude words at best. "Swears' that target types of people are now the ones that hold the most cultural power and have actual "you will lose your job" potential level of taboo, both to say them and hurt people and not like to hear people say them.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

- Dress in a certain style - (saggy pants, T-shirts with memorials on them, and gold jewelry)

This is the weakest weak sauce troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo