Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bring back last year's engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

It puts Honda in a very difficult position, because either they rush the upgrade and risk totally blowing it again, or they wait too long and force McLaren to drop them.

I would argue that unless the engine is ready​ right away they've blown it either way. Brown's point that this is a fast moving sport really drives home that Honda needs to be constantly bringing strong updates to have a chance at a championship. Waiting a third of a year to fix a completely broken engine is absolutely unacceptable for a works engine manufacturer.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

They have a far, far, FAR better chance of scoring points with Honda than they do with a hastily retrofitted Mercedes engine.

Ross "The Boss" Brawn would like to have a word with you

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Zak's comments to the media definitely need posting.

quote:

Brown made it clear that Honda's way of working, using in-house personnel at its F1 R&D base in a remote part of Japan, has not paid off.

"Eric [Boullier] talks about the F1 culture, they don't have the head-start that the other engine manufacturers have. So I think something cultural, and where the engine's being built, and the people involved, they need some more F1 experience, which they need to be open-minded to get.

"Something needs to change. If you keep doing the same thing you're going to get the same result, and they've been doing the same thing for a couple of years now.

"So they need to take some change, maybe take some risks, maybe do some stuff they wouldn't normally do.

"But you can't just keep doing the same thing, getting the same result, and then just think that by some miraculous thing it's just going to change the next race. They need to approach it a little bit differently."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-mclaren-honda-needs-change-916089/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Ross "The Boss" Brawn would like to have a word with you

That car would've been so much better with the engine it was designed for.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I would argue that unless the engine is ready​ right away they've blown it either way. Brown's point that this is a fast moving sport really drives home that Honda needs to be constantly bringing strong updates to have a chance at a championship. Waiting a third of a year to fix a completely broken engine is absolutely unacceptable for a works engine manufacturer.

I'd disagree with that. With the ridiculous penalties for changing engine parts, and the amount of work that needs to be done, it makes sense to do it all in one fell swoop.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I also think Brown would not be doing this if the word from Honda was anything other than "this update is going to be mediocre or a disaster"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I'd disagree with that. With the ridiculous penalties for changing engine parts, and the amount of work that needs to be done, it makes sense to do it all in one fell swoop.

They've gone through five engines. They're working to make the world's best typewriter while everyone else is making smartphones.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I also think Brown would not be doing this if the word from Honda was anything other than "this update is going to be mediocre or a disaster"

Eh, it seems more likely that they're not telling him much of anything. "It's not ready and we don't know when it will be ready."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

Oh gently caress YOU Lewis, he was asked to simplify something for the fans and said "naw man I don't do that because I can't be bothered ha ha ha" and then when asked a technical question said "nah man you wouldn't understand"

What a class act. Lol... keep it up Lewis, alienate even those delusional enough to still support you.

wicka posted:

Didn't they change the rules for penalties so teams couldn't take advantage of it like that anymore?

I can see Brown's comments above make sense... but it's still a bit out of place for McLaren to make demands on Honda to change their corporate culture. They knew what they were getting into when they signed up (largely), and for them to start telling Honda (via the media) how to do their job now is a pretty obvious indication that the relationship is hosed and there's no going back. I still don't think they'll have any better results by changing mid season, although they might be able to get a head start on next year by writing the rest of 2017 off as testing with the new manufacturer, which has worked well in the past for teams.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If they are serious about challenging next year with a customer engine sticking it out with Honda and throwing maximum resources behind the 2018 car is the best bet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe they should just start blatantly cheating just to finish in the points like who's even going to be looking and who's going to care.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Powershift posted:

Maybe they should just start blatantly cheating just to finish in the points like who's even going to be looking and who's going to care.

Sauber.

Sauber who is soon to become the works Honda team when McLaren split at the end of the year.

Sauber is going to be drinking from that Honda money chalice and won't give a gently caress how poo poo the engines are cause they'll be raking in the dough with the minimalist of expectations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

On reflection you're probably right...Alonso said he wants to be winning by September in order to commit to McLaren, but Brown just came out and said they need to make an engine decision by the end of July in order to be adequately prepared for 2018. It puts Honda in a very difficult position, because either they rush the upgrade and risk totally blowing it again, or they wait too long and force McLaren to drop them. I would still argue that, when Honda takes their time and does things right, their upgrades have been effective. But I certainly don't think an upgrade of this magnitude, released before they're absolutely ready, has a particularly great chance of success.

Also, the fact that McLaren is going to the media to hash this out tells me that the partnership has (again?) totally broken down behind the scenes.

They have a far, far, FAR better chance of scoring points with Honda than they do with a hastily retrofitted Mercedes engine.

Given that it's more likely that Tyrrell Racing get on the podium than Honda scoring a top 10, it's safe to assume Alonso isn't coming back. He was just looking for polite way to say that he's done with McLaren. I can't see McLaren putting the resources into anything related to Honda in 2018. They need to just call the last three years a sunk cost and start over as a customer engine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I for one am happy for the return of Spirit as the Honda works team in 2018.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Given that it's more likely that Tyrrell Racing get on the podium than Honda scoring a top 10, it's safe to assume Alonso isn't coming back. He was just looking for polite way to say that he's done with McLaren. I can't see McLaren putting the resources into anything related to Honda in 2018. They need to just call the last three years a sunk cost and start over as a customer engine.

McLaren scoring points this year is an absolute certainty, to be honest, and I don't see what better option Alonso realistically has in F1.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

McLaren scoring points this year is an absolute certainty, to be honest, and I don't see what better option Alonso realistically has in F1.

A turn 1 pile-up taking out most of the field and both McLarens escape it by starting from the pits after replacing bits after qualifying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Big Nando and Our Kimi at Haas.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Oh dear god yes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

#teamgrampa

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That's the thing though the biggest competitors for McLaren is the engine.

If this was the USGP 2005 all over again and it was just the two McLarens instead of Ferraris, Jordans, and Minardis we'd have a 1-2 Jordan, a Minardi podium and two remaining cars on the back of tow trucks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it's ever happened but what if you finished in a points paying position BUT also were lapped so many times the car ended up being not classified? Would the points still stand?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's not a better option, though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't think it's ever happened but what if you finished in a points paying position BUT also were lapped so many times the car ended up being not classified? Would the points still stand?

I think to get to that point you'd have to be so outside the 107% qualifying time that they'd just not let you race.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes with Our Jense was the best version of post-2000 McLaren.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

The regulations say the top 10 finishers score points, and if you are not classified then you are not considered to be a finisher.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The TSN feed is hosed as hell right now. It's the commercials sound but showing the guys in the commentary room taking their break and chatting and stuff and video markers and poo poo.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

If they are serious about challenging next year with a customer engine sticking it out with Honda and throwing maximum resources behind the 2018 car is the best bet.

Surely time is their biggest constraint in that scenario and perhaps its worthwhile to see if they can Frankenstein a merc engine into their current chassis? McLaren have been pretty confident in their chassis performance if it just had a power unit that worked. At least they'd be able to see where the square peg doesn't fit in the round hole and what changes they will need to make in 2018.

I don't think they'll score a point all year with Honda.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone who sincerely thinks that McLaren should try to retrofit the Mercedes engine into their current chassis...just holy poo poo, you guys. No.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Human Grand Prix posted:

There was that insane race (Monaco?) where the two lead cars ended up in the pits and then the new lead car had to do three extra laps to win, the cars in the pits came 2nd and 3rd because they had completed 90% of the race distance. So you would have to be 11 laps down on a 100 lap race not to be classified.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'd like to see Alonso in the Haas.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sky said Nando's problem in FP1 was that the engine dicided to widdle it's hydraulics.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I'd like to see Alonso in the Haas.

I'd like to be in Alonso's Haas.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kelly :swoon:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grosjean is awful

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

Counterpoint: Brawn won both world championships with a hastily retrofitted Mercedes engine

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

wicka posted:

Anyone who sincerely thinks that McLaren should try to retrofit the Mercedes engine into their current chassis...just holy poo poo, you guys. No.

If they decide to make the switch, they gain nothing by watching the Honda engine fail the rest of the year. If retrofitting the Merc is a total disaster they at least learn something for 2018.

If the midfield competition wasn't so tight, they could probably get a Honda-powered car to limp into the points a couple of times this season. I just don't see that happening.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

I'd like to be in Alonso's Haas.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Counterpoint: Brawn won both world championships with a hastily retrofitted Mercedes engine

SA's character limit is too low to list all the different ways in which this comparison is dumb and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wuffles posted:

If they decide to make the switch, they gain nothing by watching the Honda engine fail the rest of the year. If retrofitting the Merc is a total disaster they at least learn something for 2018.

If the midfield competition wasn't so tight, they could probably get a Honda-powered car to limp into the points a couple of times this season. I just don't see that happening.

I honestly don't understand where the confusion is here. Retrofitting a modern F1 car with a different engine, halfway through the season, is fundamentally retarded and pointless. There is literally nothing to gain whatsoever. No one would ever do this.

• Locked thread