Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fados posted:

That's why I like the Black Lodge inhabitants and also why we supposedly haven't seen a White Lodge, because there isn't really one in this universe.

Well no. There is absolutely a white lodge in the show. It was named in the show before the black lodge. Major Briggs has been there and possibly Windom Earle.

Something I'm noticing re-watching season 2 is the whirling stars motif shows up much more often in relation to the owls / white lodge stuff. We see it again in S3E3. I think the White Lodge has a lot to do with how Cooper ended up back in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

COOL CORN posted:

Counterpoint to the James scene:

"Leland says you're going back to Missoula... MONTANAAAAAA" is the best line reading I've ever heard

It really, really is.

But the song is also good. It's the theme!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JrgmwWAF0

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
james song is one of the most provocative scenes in the series and its really good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They should've sent a poet :allears:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

I agree, David Lynch, I agree.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

art

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anyone who thinks she's a bad actress has never met that kind of aggro jerkwad whose sole mission in life is to theatrically bend every situation so that they're the victim.

I showed that scene to friend of mine who hasnt seen any TP and he immediately said "this is some horrible acting". I was like are you insane? I work retail and have met this person a million times, its fuckimg perfect.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Basticle posted:

I showed that scene to friend of mine who hasnt seen any TP and he immediately said "this is some horrible acting". I was like are you insane? I work retail and have met this person a million times, its fuckimg perfect.

counterpoint it really sucks balls

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Acting aside, I think the disconnect between the character in the book and show is that Frost clearly wrote the book after they were done scripting. It's just ancillary media really and while there's clearly going to be little hints and connections in the book, they're going to be separate from one another (Like the Dale Cooper book that breaks continuity).

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dick Horne

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Basticle posted:

I love all her weird physical quirks, when she opened her vest I busted up.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Neurosis posted:

audrey horne was really loving hot.
so hot

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basticle posted:

The problem is that they seem to have literally hired that person instead of getting a real actor to play somebody like that person.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

King Vidiot posted:

The problem is that they seem to have literally hired that person instead of getting a real actor to play somebody like that person.

Yeah, that had to be a producer's mom or something.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I have exactly zero qualms with that scene.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i dunno its just the standard italian mom you guys whats the big idea
:italy:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, that was Candy Clark. Crazy.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I get what Truman's Wife's character was going for, but she didn't just have in-fiction obnoxious character quirks, she does bad actor habits that rookie actors do.

Like in that clip, it's humorously exasperated until about the 51 second mark and she starts doing these hand motions that are things inexperienced actors do when they don't know what to do with their hands. Like at 1:06 as she says "Frank", she limply swoops her arms out to the side. It looks dumb. I watch pro wrestling, and you see it with indie wrestlers cutting promos all the time. They make these gestures off to the side that are kind of meaningless but give their hands something to do.

Don't get me wrong, the scene is genuinely hysterical, but I think it's because of the horrendous acting. And I think that stilted performance was possibly intentional too? I'm never sure with Lynch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S_3KbUra1E

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Candy Clark owns and that scene owns. Between this and Wally Brando - to borrow a phrase from SMG - I'm beginning to think Twin Peaks fans do not like Twin Peaks.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its a great scene

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Truman wife was good and Truman reacted in a good way

I know couples like them it's very real

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I can't keep my eye on a bucket ALL DAY, FRANK!

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I didn't loathe the Truman/Wife scene, but I think I'd rather have seen something with one of the dozen things they set up in episode 1/2 and haven't revisited since.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's better than James rides his bike helmetless for five minutes again

I found it weird that he wore a helmet that just looked like his forehead but bigger

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Cromulent posted:

I didn't loathe the Truman/Wife scene, but I think I'd rather have seen something with one of the dozen things they set up in episode 1/2 and haven't revisited since.

I hope box ghost is never revisited.

I hope nothing is ever revisited.

I hope Twin Peaks Season 3 was secretly David Lynch's couple sitcom pilot this whole time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cromulent posted:

BOB appear in like, six(?) episodes of the original run of Twin Peaks, the vast majority of its runtime is goofy subplots like the mill, Audrey having sex with Billy Zane and James doing stupid poo poo. The Return by comparison has been far more concentrated on its Black/Whitw Lodge mythos main plot and the tangents so far have been good and funny one off scenes like Insane Wife and My Dharma is the Road.

Ingmar terdman posted:

to borrow a phrase from SMG - I'm beginning to think Twin Peaks fans do not like Twin Peaks.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Someone said it better than me, but I feel like The Return benefits largely from David Lynch's mastery of dream logic. Things are pretty disjointed, but somehow it ties together just well enough for me. I'm digging the trip and trying not to get too invested in any particular outcome or piece of information. Every once and a while I see something that means something to me, like Mr. C basically verifying that he and Bob are distinct but operating together. I've been loving wondering THAT since I first finished Season 2! But for the most part, it's just a weird ride.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

no true twin peaks fan

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

That doesn't sound like a problem to me. It was a great scene.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm on S2E9 right now... should I skip straight from this to the finale?

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

mary had a little clam posted:

I get what Truman's Wife's character was going for, but she didn't just have in-fiction obnoxious character quirks, she does bad actor habits that rookie actors do.

Like in that clip, it's humorously exasperated until about the 51 second mark and she starts doing these hand motions that are things inexperienced actors do when they don't know what to do with their hands. Like at 1:06 as she says "Frank", she limply swoops her arms out to the side. It looks dumb. I watch pro wrestling, and you see it with indie wrestlers cutting promos all the time. They make these gestures off to the side that are kind of meaningless but give their hands something to do.

She's been acting since 1972. Perhaps that's before you were born? She received a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in American Graffiti. She also played opposite David Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

I wouldn't call her a rookie/inexperienced actor.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

COOL CORN posted:

I'm on S2E9 right now... should I skip straight from this to the finale?

Are you already bored? I would just see how unwatchable the season gets first. You're gonna miss some good stuff if you skip right to the finale. I mean, you can still fast forward through scenes that seem to go nowhere (especially the ones with James in them), but what's wrong with giving it a shot?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

And More posted:

Are you already bored? I would just see how unwatchable the season gets first. You're gonna miss some good stuff if you skip right to the finale. I mean, you can still fast forward through scenes that seem to go nowhere (especially the ones with James in them), but what's wrong with giving it a shot?

That's fair. I'm just in a hurry to get to The Return, but it'll always be there I guess

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

That's fair. I'm just in a hurry to get to The Return, but it'll always be there I guess

The only truly skippable parts are with James outside the town. As soon as he meets a character you don't recognize, skip the rest of his scenes till he leaves the show. Everything else is hammy, but not nearly as pointless as james' season 2 storyline.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Don't skip scenes, episodes or anything else. Just sit down and watch the goddamn show.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Skip James (heh), skip Catherine/Josie, skip Lucy/Andy/Dick, skip Nadine, skip Billy Zane. It's alllll garb.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
agreed except for nadine. never skip nadine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Skip James (heh), skip Catherine/Josie, skip Lucy/Andy/Dick, skip Nadine, skip Billy Zane. It's alllll garb.

I don't think you like Twin Peaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Please stop with the "you don't like twin peaks" bullshit