Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Snuffman posted:

You mean he hadn't studied this stuff before? Like during the transition? :stare:

"I'm new to this and don't know these darn laws and you're silly constitution, so I guess I'll learn them" is a thing the President of the United States actually said.

:stare:

Where can I see this full conference in all its stupidity?

Regressives : That "community organizer" has a law degree and specialized in constitutional law? *barks n-word for 8 years*

Edit: Bo, White House dog for the Obamas.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Lockerroom talk is lockerroom talk. How you conduct yourself in public is different.

Gillibrand needs to appeal to the Midwestern white working-class. Most of them are suburban and rural.

Cursing in public, wearing your pants sagging, and pursuing energy policies that direct resources away from extraction industries are all very urban. Gillibrand was 2 out 3, but now she is 3 out 3 and will have trouble with the "I am one of you" test for those voters.

Oh my god, I thought you were joking.

Last month a politician literally punched a reporter in the face and got elected. Blue collar america doesn't appreciate people stroking their delicate sensibilities anymore. That is not an important issue for people who are seeing rural America being gutted of its employment prospects.

You are the quintessential out-of-touch white liberal voter.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 9, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

i really want to win but i dont think having a black man from chicago is going to appeal to voters. THEY ONLY RECOGNIZE THEIR OWN.

There is a bit truth to that.

We have only ever had one urban President in U.S. history.

2020 is a must-win for the Democratic Party. Why jeopardize it by taking the risk?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Every two generations or so every swear gets normalized to be normal words and other words (including words that were once acceptable) become taboo.

No one really cared 20 years ago if you used religious swears, now no one really cares if you use body function swears, they are rude words at best. "Swears' that target types of people are now the ones that hold the most cultural power and have actual "you will lose your job" potential level of taboo, both to say them and hurt people and not like to hear people say them.

tl;dr to people under 70 "gently caress" and "poo poo" aren't actually offensive, but n-bombs are.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

2020 is a must-win for the Democratic Party. Why jeopardize it by taking the risk?

:snoop:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

You're not surprised. You're not shocked. He'd done none of these things and you know it.

I know, its just some days I still wake up and I'm like: "Wait....Trump is President?"

None of this is surprising at all, I agree. When he wasn't doing his victory rally's he was probably golfing.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

ronald reagan was a hollywood actor.

donald trump is a nyc "businessman".

voters ALWAYS choose the person they see as authentic (right or wrong), doesn't matter where they are from.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

I thought Trump praised the blockade?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's a certain amount of truth to the idea that Democrats can't get away with poo poo that Republicans get away with easily, because Democratic voters have standards and Republican voters don't.

BUT

You also can gain increased voter turnout and engagement by demonstrating anger and an emotional connection with voter's problems

Cursing is one way to do that. Not necessarily the only way but one way. It's a valid strat and we'll have to see how it plays out.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xombie posted:

Last month a politician literally punched a reporter in the face and got elected.

This logic never makes sense to me. The democratic candidate in a race could go on tv and stomp on baby the day before an election and my opinion would be something closer to "well this is hosed up" more than "I guess I support republicans now" if we were already past primaries and choosing candidates and that sort of stuff and there is no chance of getting someone else.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Is this picture wheezing for anyone else?

If you look closely you can see the ghost of a dog hovering behind one of them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is going to sound terrible but I don't want a woman on the ticket next time. I mean, I would love Gillibrand or Harris as President. I wanted Clinton so badly to become president. I voted for her in the primary and donated and of course voted in the general for her. I honestly believe being a woman cost her a lot of votes. Every little issue with her was magnified 1000x worse than it would have been with a male candidate. If you run that election over, with a highly qualified but kinda boring candidate who is actually quite progressive, but over decades of service has taken stands that seem questionable to liberals 20 years later, I think that person wins. (That person is John Kerry, btw).

I want the 2020 win to be massive enough to bring out libertopia, and I don't want to lose votes the same way Clinton did. It's not fair. It's terrible and I hate myself for saying it. But I want to win and win big and I think you need a ticket with a folksy charming white guy and a clean cut "articulate" black guy.

A (Republican) woman is currently leading among white males in the GA-06 special election. I don't want to extrapolate anything from that, but I don't think womanhood is immediately disqualifying.

RiggenBlaque posted:

On the topic of embarrassing photos, someone in the previous Trump thread posted a really hilariously awful family photo of the Huckabees that wasn't this awful one:

I think it was a Christmas photo, but I can't seem to find it online.

Was it this one?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Will you gullible idiots stop quoting Leon it's getting through my block list

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Boy, Hatch sure has a ghastly visage. Can we please stop having ghouls lead our country?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

hanales posted:

But it's his permanent record!

He's just going to have to work for his safety country, Canada.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A (Republican) woman is currently leading among white males in the GA-06 special election. I don't want to extrapolate anything from that, but I don't think womanhood is immediately disqualifying.

Was it this one?

the face of the daughter reminds me moon over june exists

Huckabee family is very unsettling

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

I don't think that "urban" means what you think it means.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sloober posted:

Hey friend did you hear that John McCain is a maverick

The actual Maverick's would have punched McCain in the face for besmirching their name.

The Maverick's were liberal/progressive yellow dog democrats . The reason that Samuel Maverick didn't brand his cattle was because he thought that it was cruel to the cows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maury_Maverick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maury_Maverick,_Jr.

It's a loving insult to the name to have it applied to that POS McCain

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder one of the sons is morally inept. He's a dog killer(and probably a dog fucker)

Also the father fucks grits.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Was it this one?

It's not disqualifying if you're signing on to the platform of "women shouldn't have rights over their bodies or equal rights in general" sure.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a certain amount of truth to the idea that Democrats can't get away with poo poo that Republicans get away with easily, because Democratic voters have standards and Republican voters don't.

BUT

You also can gain increased voter turnout and engagement by demonstrating anger and an emotional connection with voter's problems

Cursing is one way to do that. Not necessarily the only way but one way. It's a valid strat and we'll have to see how it plays out.

Counterpoint: Blue-collar voters are now voting Republican in part because Democrats are more worried about inoffensive liberal morality than creating an economy that will employ them, and have stated as much every time they're questioned on their voting habits. Worrying too much about the balancing act of appearance is part of why Democrats are not willing to run someone who connects with these voters.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

White-collar doesn't mean white working class, hth

Typo. Meant blue-collar.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 9, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder one of the sons is morally inept. He's a dog killer(and probably a dog fucker)

I may be misremembering, but I believe Mike Huckabee pushed a jury to commute the sentence of a serial murderer/rapist because one of his victims was a relative of Bill Clinton. They are not good people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Xombie posted:

Counterpoint: White-collar voters are now voting Republican in part because Democrats are more worried about inoffensive liberal morality than creating an economy that will employ them, and have stated as much every time they're questioned on their voting habits. Worrying too much about the balancing act of appearance is part of why Democrats are not willing to run someone who connects with these voters.

Which 2020 contender for the Democratic nomination do you think has the best platform on PC culture?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

White-collar doesn't mean white working class, hth

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

For better or worse, context is important. Donald Trump was not associated with urban life the way that Gillibrand is. He is a man of the white working-class in rural and suburban America. The same group that Gillibrand needs to appeal to.

When Gillibrand does things like:

- Drop the "F bomb"
- Pursue energy policies that make careers in extraction industries redundant
- Dress in a certain style - (saggy pants, T-shirts with memorials on them, and gold jewelry)
- Talk about guns in a context that is 100% through the lens of a city-dweller
- Disproportionately picks music with lower treble levels
- Highlights transportation policies that are anti-car or don't seem like rural lifestyle was considered when formulating them

That helps reinforce her image as urban. Being urban is antithetical to being white working-class.

Anyone who thinks that Trump is the man of "white working-class in rural and suburban America" lives in an alternate reality and is unreachable by facts and frankly we don't need them to win loving elections.

Actual white working-class people in rural and suburban America curse like sailors and sure as gently caress don't think of saying gently caress as implying that you are "urban" which is generally just a loving dog whistle for black anyway. Anyone who wouldn't vote for her for saying gently caress, wasn't going to vote for her anyway because she's a democrat and they consider that to mean that she's a race traitor because the people you are talking about are racist poo poo heals.

I don't care if they vote for Democrats. Hell I don't want them voting for Democrats because I don't want to be associated with them.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

Javes posted:

I'm pretty sure he's doing the republican parlor trick of "Hey! Look how big this book of regulations is! Isn't that crazy!"

Yeah it was the same type of poo poo that they did with the health care bill with the whole look how many pages the ACA is vs our streamlined bill. Trump was announcing a new panel that's supposed to cut through all the needless beuarcracy and endless red tape of trying to build new highways and dams and whatever else people can scam a whole bunch of money from. Because really who needs an environmental impact study when you're building a new dam. Clearly it somehow makes the dam worse and now we will have the biggest and best dams ever, just you wait and see.

I'd go on bitching about how ludicrous this all is, but that should really just be a default position on anything that comes out of his stupid mouth until expressly proven otherwise.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
God drat, they're going pro with this "he didn't know that was inappropriate" stuff, aren't they? Well... since this is all just a big misunderstanding... maybe they can give Comey his loving JOB BACK THEN?!?!?!?!

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Democrats conflating all working-class voters (who don't put manners on a pedestal) with southern Christian fundamentalists (who do want to be buttered up and lied to, but will overlook it if you're as racist and hateful as them) is honestly a symptom of how out of touch they've become.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chilichimp posted:

God drat, they're going pro with this "he didn't know that was inappropriate" stuff, aren't they? Well... since this is all just a big misunderstanding... maybe they can give Comey his loving JOB BACK THEN?!?!?!?!

Also, while I'm sure it's better than being a nefarious criminal, Trump's approval rating is in the toilet partly because most of America has realized 'Oh poo poo, he IS that dumb.'

More 'He's an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing' doesn't help. Which is especially ironic when the whole reason they give for voting for 'outsiders' is 'Oh they know so much better how to run a government and will fix it quick.'

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

BUT

I think this is true, but there is a fine line to walk regarding acceptable passion for a democrat. There is 100% a different standard between parties. Like Howard Dean was great for the party and might have beat Bush, but he lets himself get too excited at a rally, and welp, he is a joke forever. Meanwhile, Trump can, umm, be Trump and nobody on the right gives a poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Who was that?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I think this is true, but there is a fine line to walk regarding acceptable passion for a democrat. There is 100% a different standard between parties. Like Howard Dean was great for the party and might have beat Bush, but he lets himself get too excited at a rally, and welp, he is a joke forever. Meanwhile, Trump can, umm, be Trump and nobody on the right gives a poo poo.

What do you expect from the party of do as i say not as i do

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Was it this one?

Haha, that's it! I love that photo so much, I totally forgot about that poor dog's 1000 yard stare, I can only imagine what horror's he's seen. I like to imagine the photographer told them to smile and each one of Huckabee's fugly rear end kids tried their best but only Sarah knew that normal people smile with their teeth (although she's fuzzy on the details).

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

Who was that?

Gonna go with the left-field guess and say Garfield.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/873242291904946176
yes yes yes yes

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reik posted:

I thought Trump praised the blockade?

Of course he did. Trump is the George Costanza of politics. He'd make an amazing advisor because you could just do the opposite of everything he says.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Glumslinger posted:

only 1/3rd of americans even approve of trump, he hasn't been shot into the sun yet or anything but his act isn't exactly winning him acclaim and popularity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jaxyon posted:

Who was that?

Donald Trump

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

president trump is set to lie his rear end off in the wake of james comey's testimony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

Dog knows true fear.

• Locked thread