Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Good news everyone:

https://twitter.com/TribalInstincts/status/872676385185071104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Interesting that it ends up being a case of "make sure to rinse off your strap before using it".

acksplode
May 17, 2004

iceaim posted:

Does anyone know if Werewolves Within still has an active playerbase? That looks like the next Ubisoft VR game that I want to grab since it also supports PSVR/Rift/Vive crossplay.

I don't play it very often, but when I do I get quickmatched into a full lobby within like 30 seconds. So I think it's still a good buy.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
OK headstrap arrived, 2 days after ordering. Guess I got lucky and ordered it before they sold out. They sent 2 boxes. One contained the headstrap, in a very nice package. same quality packaging as the vive itself, which makes sense. The 2nd box contained a single sheet of paper. I'm not joking. The box was the same size as the one the headstrap came in. Inside it was a piece of paper with simple instructions on how to unlatch the existing headstrap from the headset. I don't know why they felt the need to send this in a separate box, but they did.

Installation was pretty straightforward. There's a video on youtube that explains how to do it. If you can follow simple directions and plug Tab A into Slot B, you'll be fine. I don't see any reason I couldn't run longer/different cables instead of the ones the vive came with, if it comes to that.

Initial impressions are that it is vastly superior to the original headstrap. For one it feels like the back of my head is actually supporting the headset, not my cheekbones. The integrated headphones are nice too. A lot better than trying to deal with earbuds or separate headphones. Sorry Knifegrab, Oculus was right on that one. I can actually put the headset on quickly now, instead of needing like 5-10 minutes of adjusting and readjusting the straps so it sits right on my face.

I'll give it a run through tonight after work and see how it feels for extended sessions, but my first impression is that it's going to be a lot better than before.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Make sure to give the foam a sensual wash first

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

Make sure to give the foam a sensual wash first

Or not have a sweaty top/back of your head. I max out my AC and have hair so personally I don't think it'll be an issue for me. Supposedly it's also less comfortable without the stuff that rubs off when wet.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Or not have a sweaty top/back of your head. I max out my AC and have hair so personally I don't think it'll be an issue for me. Supposedly it's also less comfortable without the stuff that rubs off when wet.

You can still sweat even if you have hair

I don't think you could play many VR games without sweating at some point

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Note: Viveport had a major upgrade the subsciption has double the titles including:

Game/Steamscore

Arcade Saga (77%)
Cosmic Trip (90%)
Galaxy Golf [AKA Moonshot Galaxy] (92%)
Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shootin’ Gallery (90%)
HordeZ (88%)
Pierhead Arcade (95%)
Rom: Extraction (75%)
Sairento VR (91%)
Windlands (75%)
Knockout League (74%)

If you haven't used your trial you can get a month free. Cosmic Trip just came out of EA and is a full product now.

Additionally Payday2 is free: (permantently if you get it now)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/PAYDAY_2/

Battle Dome is free for 3 days (then you'd have to buy):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6g2i5s/battle_dome_is_free_for_3_days/

Holoball is 50% off and free for 3 days (then you'd have to buy):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6g39ch/holoball_is_50_off_and_3_days_of_play_for_free/

Also the Steam summer sale is coming up in a couple of weeks (dates have leaked but are NDAed).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If anything having hair makes my head way sweatier, hair is hot

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

Of course you end up sweating but it doesn't tend to get through my hair. We'll see what happens but I'm not too worried.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just picked up Star Trek and I have to echo what everyone has said so far. I've only done two missions so far through quick-match but it was a great time, even with a random group.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 8, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's amazing how friendly everyone is, I didn't expect it either. You see different levels of skill and familiarity with the game but I haven't witnessed any real screaming matches or ragequits even when things go terribly.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So Star Trek Bridge crew is awesome!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I still love Bridge Crew, but wow, gently caress backseat captains.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys has anyone played this Everspace thing? I just stumbled upon it:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/

Single-player rogue-lite space combat, seems highly reviewed?

Edit:

Also, stupid question, but can I play most of the Viveport subscription games with a Rift? I assume it won't lock me out?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 8, 2017

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Hey guys has anyone played this Everspace thing? I just stumbled upon it:

I'd be interested as well, I've had my eye on it for a couple of weeks.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Anybody tried Breach It yet? I honestly hope we get seven trillion vr siege clones

Stick100 posted:

Additionally Payday2 is free: (permantently if you get it now)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/PAYDAY_2/

Also the Steam summer sale is coming up in a couple of weeks (dates have leaked but are NDAed).

Thanks for the heads up on Payday 2 (looks like first 5million copies are free, wonder if they'll hit it), any news on VR support?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Last I read there would be a Beta this year sometime. Cross play should be good. Since it's more co-op than vs it'll probably work okay.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Has anyone figured out how to play out of ammo without a 5 meter by 5 meter play space? The main menu is just so big that even with my entire apartment I can't actually reach most of the options...

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Has anyone figured out how to play out of ammo without a 5 meter by 5 meter play space? The main menu is just so big that even with my entire apartment I can't actually reach most of the options...

You can teleport in that area

Main issue I've had is if the .50 cal bunker is facing certain directions, I have a bitch of a time working the charging handles

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The pikes peak hill climb in dirt Rally VR is antifun incarnate. loving hate this championship so much.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Any reviews for the rEvolve headstrap yet?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 9, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Paingod556 posted:

You can teleport in that area

Main issue I've had is if the .50 cal bunker is facing certain directions, I have a bitch of a time working the charging handles

Oh my god. I had no idea ><

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I used the new headstrap all night last night, re-learning how to fly in Elite. Not exactly strenuous activity, but I had no issue with the foam at all. I have long hair so I can't really sweat through it. Maybe that's why. Sucks to be a baldy.

Only thing I don't like is that apparently my head is shaped funny and the earphones dont want to lock down over my ears. I guess my head is too wide or something, or my ears are place weirdly. I bent the arms a bit and it works fine now though. Really satisfied with how the vive fits on my head now. I don't get fatigue and it perfectly holds the visor in the right spot in front of my eyes now, the old headstrap never quite worked right in that regard.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has there been any sale for psvr announced? Was thinking about getting it but figured I'd wait til after e3.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Has there been any sale for psvr announced? Was thinking about getting it but figured I'd wait til after e3.

Demand has been strong, Sony has seen no need to discount it.

Also we have a PSVR thread so be sure to check it out:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

No sales, but there are periodically really solid bundles that pop up and they get posted in the PSVR thread. Recently there was PSVR/Aim/Farpoint/RE7 for the normal price of the headset.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lemming posted:

I play with a lycra balaclava to keep the sweat in.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Ok, I think I need to stop playing Doom 3 before it gives me PTSD. Worst things I've had to fight so far are Imps, and they've already made me shriek in terror several times. Hell, a door closing behind me did that. :ohdear:

On the flip side, now that I've finally gotten around to trying it, Robo Recall is pretty :krad:! Is Superhot VR anything like this, with all the slow-mo bullet time and akimbo weapon badassery? If so, I may have to pick that one up during the Steam Sale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom has VR support now?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Someone retrofitted vr onto doom 3. It works really well, even if the graphics are a little blocky and dated.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

veni veni veni posted:

Doom has VR support now?

Someone's modded Doom 3 BFG edition to be full room scale VR
https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

Once you have the comfort options dialed in to how you want them it's pretty much better than it ever was as a traditional PC game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's dope. people can say what they will about Doom 3 but that would be amazing in VR. Thought you meant 2015 though.

The mods are the big thing killing me about PSVR right now. I'm very happy with it as a whole, but being at publishers whims feels so limited because so few of them seem to give two shits about VR right now.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Ok, I think I need to stop playing Doom 3 before it gives me PTSD. Worst things I've had to fight so far are Imps, and they've already made me shriek in terror several times. Hell, a door closing behind me did that. :ohdear:

On the flip side, now that I've finally gotten around to trying it, Robo Recall is pretty :krad:! Is Superhot VR anything like this, with all the slow-mo bullet time and akimbo weapon badassery? If so, I may have to pick that one up during the Steam Sale.

Superhot is basically the slower, more deliberate cousin to Robo Recall. It's a bit more strategic, in a way, in that you have all the time you want to stop and plan out your next move, and it's one of the most satisfying feelings in the world when your plan comes together and you dance a slo-mo ballet of dodging bullets while tossing out death of your own. One of the endless mode maps is a small enclosed escape room where bad guys just keep coming in through the doors, and it's basically like playing John Wick in bullet time. Definitely worth a buy.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Superhot VR is nowhere near the same game as roborecall. It is an amazing game though and you should get it. It isn't bullet time, time doesn't actually move unless you move, so it's the opposite. More like a strategy fps, since you need to think out the fight and how you'll move. And it gives you a decent workout by having you holding positions while you dodge bullets.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

(Superhot) is a bit more strategic, in a way, in that you have all the time you want to stop and plan out your next move, and it's one of the most satisfying feelings in the world when your plan comes together and you dance a slo-mo ballet of dodging bullets while tossing out death of your own.
What I find to be a second level of satisfying in Superhot is if you mess up a couple of times, your movements at the beginning are sort of muscle memory so you can zip through them with this amazing precision that looks like a choreographed movie fight in real-time.

Robo Recall you don't have much time to think because everything is always happening real-time, so you're mainly reacting instead of performing, as others have called it, the Superhot Ballet. Robo Recall does do some fun stuff with teleporting, slowing gravity, auto-aiming thrown objects, and giving your hand a giant suction power to give you somewhat of a similar kung fu feeling. The difference is that the game there is always nudging things into your favor, whereas in Superhot you're actually pulling off those moves and putting together cooler combos because you have plenty of time to work out just how you're going to kill three guys with their own single bullet.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Super hot VR is really loving good. It might be the best game I have played in VR so far.

My Vive has recently poo poo out. It doesn't seem to be getting video from the PC anymore. Although it seems to be tracking fine, in the mirror view I can see what the vive is SUPPOSED to be seeing, the vive itself is just a black screen. I've tried enabling and disabling direct mode, switching HDMI cables, reseting the device firmware, and updating to the SteamVR beta. Nothing seems to have fixed it. Anyone have ideas for what I should do next? Is there any way to erase all traces of the Vive and associated USB devices from my system? I have a feeling I managed to gently caress something up when I enabled the Bluetooth adapter in the breakout box.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just got my audio strap for the vive. +1 to massive upgrade. So quick and easy to put on comfortably and solidly.

Also everspace is a blast. It's not a perfect game, mostly because the kb+m support is borked in vr and there is no joystick support yet so xbox controller required for vr atm. BUT!!!! it has an option to aim with hmd so I'm a space apache pilot now.

Think elite dangerous getting kicked right in the controls and size but with an actual game and aim with face. It's a blast. Single player only.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.facebook.com/Infinadeck/videos/1520503598022805/

Infinadeck is testing things out with a vive tracker. If they can get smoother and quieter treadmills, that could actually be pretty cool. Maybe not for home use, but in an arcade or something, totally unlimited scale. Will need something to prevent people from falling down or whatever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

honda whisperer posted:

Just got my audio strap for the vive. +1 to massive upgrade. So quick and easy to put on comfortably and solidly.

Also everspace is a blast. It's not a perfect game, mostly because the kb+m support is borked in vr and there is no joystick support yet so xbox controller required for vr atm. BUT!!!! it has an option to aim with hmd so I'm a space apache pilot now.

Think elite dangerous getting kicked right in the controls and size but with an actual game and aim with face. It's a blast. Single player only.

No joystick support? That's... odd.

I guess I'll hold off on getting it for now.