Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

myDad posted:

This seems good

It is and was, there's armor and mana ones as well. 90% increased damage per jewel slot is the max (assuming the others are limited by 3) but before this change if you were game rich you could stack 14 of them for around 800% increased damage total (56% increased damage per jewel slot used). More usable now since it doesn't require 90% of your passive points dedicated to it, but doesn't let you skyrocket your damage to the same degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is the hand of chaos a new thing? I googled it and didn't come up with much. It is a hand on the ground inside maps that, when you step on it, summons a HUGE amount of poo poo in a giant circle. I have encountered it twice, and both times it has murderfucked me.

I took a video of it the second time, which I am uploading at the moment.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I think you're talking Breaches, which were a thing introduced two leagues ago. They're fun. Kill the big ones and open hands.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, that sounds like it. Just haven't played the game in a while.

Day 2 of the beta, and made it up to 67. Finally able to handle some of the easier maps. Also snagged zana and have her in my hideout now. My gear is pretty crummy though. It makes me really miss poe.trade. Needing to keep an eye on the trade channel sucks by comparison.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Someone on Reddit playing in the beta posted this screenshot:

That's gotta hurt :v:
I don't think I'd be able to continue playing after that.

I want to buy into the beta but I'm afraid that if I do I'll get burnt out and not want to play much when it actually comes out. Haven't played since Essence league really, I dabbled in Legacy briefly but quit before long. I think in one of those two patches, GGG buffed one handed weapons by like 10% across the board. Did that change anything up in terms of "popular" builds, or is it just "play whatever the gently caress you want, everything's effective" ?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 9, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I want to buy into the beta but I'm afraid that if I do I'll get burnt out and not want to play much when it actually comes out. Haven't played since Essence league really, I dabbled in Legacy briefly but quit before long. I think in one of those two patches, GGG buffed one handed weapons by like 10% across the board. Did that change anything up in terms of "popular" builds, or is it just "play whatever the gently caress you want, everything's effective" ?

Popular builds are spells, bows, and 2 broke uniques that happen to be one handed melee weapons but aren't really affected by the change. But basically anything can get you to yellow maps these days.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here are some extra nerdy names for you guys to pick that as of right now are available in the beta:

Trundle, Yuffie, Terra, Zyra, Celes, Tryndamere, Scorpion, Wukong, Tidus, Guybrush, Jojo, Cid, Izaro, Indiana, Jones, Vancleef, Hogger, Kerrigan, Hansolo, Han_Solo, Shepard, Luigi, Terminator, Frankenstein, Aladdin.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 9, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How is labyrinth being handled in the beta?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

How is labyrinth being handled in the beta?

When you first access the Lab as usual, you'll find a waypoint there at the entrance. You can jump to that waypoint to the lab next to the hideout waypoint, whatever act you're in.

Inside the labyrinth, at the Aspirant's Plaza just before you enter the first door, there's a device that allows you to choose the difficulty of the labyrinth, and your current progress towards unlocking each difficulty. Once you choose it and click activate, the door opens and when you enter it you're taken to the appropriate labyrinth.

Here's an example of the interface:

Areas show "unknown" when you mouse over if you haven't visited them yet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Elentor posted:

When you first access the Lab as usual, you'll find a waypoint there at the entrance. You can jump to that waypoint to the lab next to the hideout waypoint, whatever act you're in.

Inside the labyrinth, at the Aspirant's Plaza just before you enter the first door, there's a device that allows you to choose the difficulty of the labyrinth, and your current progress towards unlocking each difficulty. Once you choose it and click activate, the door opens and when you enter it you're taken to the appropriate labyrinth.

Cool

So you only do the trials once ?

That's a little more streamlined .

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

Cool

So you only do the trials once ?

That's a little more streamlined .

No, there are different trials for the other difficulties. I updated my original post with a screenshot, you can see how it works there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks mate.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
So the outstanding uncompleted milestone for me in this game is beating Shaper. In fact I've never even managed to kill a Guardian. I usually get bogged down somewhere in early red maps because I'm dumb and don't just buy maps. I know it's early days yet for 3.0 builds, but what should I be looking at building if I want to take him down? (or more practically, what should I avoid)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ixjuvin posted:

So the outstanding uncompleted milestone for me in this game is beating Shaper. In fact I've never even managed to kill a Guardian. I usually get bogged down somewhere in early red maps because I'm dumb and don't just buy maps. I know it's early days yet for 3.0 builds, but what should I be looking at building if I want to take him down? (or more practically, what should I avoid)

on principle Doomfletch Pathfinder should still be a good choice, I don't think they can balance Flasks for 'finders

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
unless they nerf the poo poo out of pathfinders.

In other news man the harpoons because my dumb rear end just bought a supporter pack.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kitava ... just how? Between Kitava and High Templar I've died many, many times.

Might reroll as some kind of fire-and-forget char like SRS or something. How the gently caress do you even have time to attack when you're constantly dodging non-stop attacks?

e: or some kind of massive dot skill I guess

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

for kativa I just ran up to his dumb face and held down my cyclone button and went to town

there's enough time to get in plenty of attacks at different points for both the bosses I thought, its' just that you can't completely sleep walk through them

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new bosses wrecked my poo poo so hard. Every single one of them.

But specially the spider.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
New bosses sound fun, I can't wait to get owned in 3.0

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I got tilted into oblivion seeing Zizaran and his chat's reaction to the unique balance changes, so please don't give me an aneurysm and actually think about them this way:

Emberwake: This actually got a huge buff. The Double Ignite jewel for Burning Arrow singlehandedly made the damage from Burning Arrow competitive with other skills, and Emberwake lets you do that to all traditional ignite skills now (Fireball, Flameblast, Oro Flicker, etc). The only thing that got nerfed is the interaction with Taming, which means GGG obviously doesn't want Emberwake to exist only to work with Taming. This isn't a bad thing. Hell, they know that the only thing people used the two rings for was to abuse together, and that killed the server, so instead they're just remaking Emberwake and buffing Taming.

Grand Spectrum: Previous design was poo poo. There is no reason to have a set of 3 jewels that work with each other, but work just as well with more copies of themselves with no limit. No matter what the numbers or effects on Grand Spectrums, this guaranteed that no one would ever use more than 1 kind of Grand Spectrum in a build. This inherently leads to a situation where 1 jewel is worth a lot and the other 2 jewels are worth absolutely nothing because no build would ever want to use them over the "good" one. You could argue "what if one was phys damage and one was ele damage," but then no one would want to use both in the same build, so it's still a total poo poo design to have them work together. Don't get me wrong, new Grand Spectrum is weak and probably won't be used, but is a way better design. And the fact that it's weak can be fixed by changing the limit to 4 or 5 instead of 3, since from what I can tell a build that actually tries to get every single Jewel socket it can gets something like 13 or 14 max.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

The problem was you were watching ziz.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

pakman posted:

The problem was you were watching ziz.

Yeah this guy has taken a nosedive in quality over this last league. Between giving projectPT a spotlight and immediately spamming youtube with ''''3.0 build guides'''' the second the NDA went down, on top of him just being flat out not entertaining at all to watch, I'm not sure why people give him the light of day. He's starting to feel like he's desperate for views and ad-revenue.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I downloaded the game and all the names for characters are taken.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Problem doesn't exist in the Beta realm :v:

For real though, you'll have to try random poo poo until something sticks

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

panda clue posted:

Yeah this guy has taken a nosedive in quality over this last league. Between giving projectPT a spotlight and immediately spamming youtube with ''''3.0 build guides'''' the second the NDA went down, on top of him just being flat out not entertaining at all to watch, I'm not sure why people give him the light of day. He's starting to feel like he's desperate for views and ad-revenue.

It doesn't help (at least for me) that he has literally played the same build for over a year now (vspark) and only switched it up in breach, at least a little, to play poison minion witch. That gets so extremely boring to watch. At least Mathil and Ziggy change things up.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I played this game like one year ago and now I kinda want to try out again.

I only have a Marauder on lvl 35, still on Act 3 and I'm still confused by a few mechanics of the game. Like is there a way to transfer to new leagues when they happen? Or is that the entire point of them that everyone starts fresh and have to start at lvl 1 again?

The youtube guides listed on the OP are like from 2013, I imagine poo poo changed since then. Should I just wait for the next expansion since someone will probably do a few guides aimed at new players?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I normally don't watch streams at all I just wanted to see what builds people were trying and see how far Ziz had gotten on map progression.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

frajaq posted:

Or is that the entire point of them that everyone starts fresh and have to start at lvl 1 again?
yeah that

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

It is and was, there's armor and mana ones as well. 90% increased damage per jewel slot is the max (assuming the others are limited by 3) but before this change if you were game rich you could stack 14 of them for around 800% increased damage total (56% increased damage per jewel slot used). More usable now since it doesn't require 90% of your passive points dedicated to it, but doesn't let you skyrocket your damage to the same degree.

Why would I use it unless I was also somehow benefitting from the armor and mana from the other 2 jewels? You can get more than 30% damage from jewels with only 3 affixes.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
MoM got buffed yet again so i can see people using the ele damage and mana ones

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Kild posted:

Why would I use it unless I was also somehow benefitting from the armor and mana from the other 2 jewels? You can get more than 30% damage from jewels with only 3 affixes.

Because unless you're all in on armor it's not that great of a bonus and the mana is really only good for MoM or Guardians.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

frajaq posted:

I only have a Marauder on lvl 35, still on Act 3 and I'm still confused by a few mechanics of the game. Like is there a way to transfer to new leagues when they happen? Or is that the entire point of them that everyone starts fresh and have to start at lvl 1 again?

The youtube guides listed on the OP are like from 2013, I imagine poo poo changed since then. Should I just wait for the next expansion since someone will probably do a few guides aimed at new players?

I'd recommend playing a 'starter' build as far as you can before 3.0, that will give you a better understanding of what to do.

Then you can start fresh in the new league with the same, or different build.

As for what that build should be...who knows?!?

Pick a skill, any skill...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think that tool is broken because it actually lists something for Elemental Hit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

frajaq posted:

I really like the engineering eternity set of guides:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaFHfrY-6uGSAvmczp_7a6Q/playlists

Obviously the most nuanced things in the game like developing an intuition for valuable items can't be taught in just a ten minute video, but he covers pretty much all the bases in a very approachable way. It's quite up to date too.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 9, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Well I found a Quill Rain on my Ranger :v: guess I'm getting explosive arrow

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I really like the engineering eternity set of guides:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaFHfrY-6uGSAvmczp_7a6Q/playlists

Obviously the most nuanced things in the game like developing an intuition for valuable items can't be taught in just a ten minute video, but he covers pretty much all the bases in a very approachable way. It's quite up to date too.

thats exactly what I wanted, thank you

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Does anyone know how Ice Nova totems (which now have a 'more' modifier if cast on frost bolt) pop on frost bolt at all or intelligently?

edit: no that poo poo sucks rear end

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 10, 2017

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jinnigan posted:

Does anyone know how Ice Nova totems (which now have a 'more' modifier if cast on frost bolt) pop on frost bolt at all or intelligently?

edit: no that poo poo sucks rear end

They don't.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sab669 posted:

If I was GGG, in any void league or beta league I would make mirrors drop far, far more often just to gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Can a cool goon invite RighteousNoPantsLegacy to the guild?

• Locked thread