Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Dirk winning in 2007 was not a close year and the only American who got first place votes was Kobe with 2 of 129.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

LeBron going in on the notion that Brady is the greatest athlete in sports was great

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

The myth of progress in politics bleeds into ideological understandings of science. Progressive evolution is a naturalization of technocratic politics.

But the separation of observed generational change from all our assumptions of teleology and progress (which may be a deeply rooted human instinct--We grow as people, why would we not grow a species?) was a mental stumbling block in science for hundreds of years and the guy who's famous for overcoming it was named Charles Darwin! It was like, his main gift to the field! You'd think that'd be more broadly understood!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
So why exactly did Derrick Rose win the MVP over LeBron anyway? Did all the voters pretend they were voting for a baseball award that day?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Who would be the best 3v3 All-Center team? Cousins | Davis | Jokic(?)?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bigass Moth posted:

So why exactly did Derrick Rose win the MVP over LeBron anyway? Did all the voters pretend they were voting for a baseball award that day?

backlash against Bron, mostly. he was persona non grata all of 2011

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bigass Moth posted:

1) he was a good chicago boy playing for his hometown unlike the great betrayer LeBron who left his people for fresh fish and year round bikini season

2) HE COULD GO UPSTAIRS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAp00SxP30

edit: god damned do I ever love that dunk although the way he detonates his knees on the landings is always a sad sight in retrospect

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 9, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

Who would be the best 3v3 All-Center team? Cousins | Davis | Jokic(?)?

Kibner you're ripping my heart into pieces is Davis a C or PF already you can't leave me in limbo forever

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

If the Cavs do pull off a 4 game sweep win the Warriors must immediately disband.

Yeah, Durant will come to town on the vet min because he just needs more help.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

kerr owns

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also Rose was kinda really really loving good.

He was fairly easily one of the top 3 players in the league that year.

Either Dwight, Bron, or Rose could have won it. Rose was just the one who said at the beginning of the year "Why can't I be MVP" when asked a question about it. So the narrative was set from press conference day, and when he far far surpassed expectations and played like one of the best players that year. He was all but assured it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2714680-cavaliers-players-reportedly-highly-agitated-over-stephen-currys-game-3-squat

cavs angry at curry getting schwifty

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

That quote is loving amazing

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Bulls having a surprising season getting the best record in the league with Rose as their big star coupled with Miami having a relatively disappointing season. LeBron hatred was at its peak and he had a worse season than his 4 MVPs.

Dexo posted:

He wasn't, and certainly not fairly easily. He was good but man it's a horrible chocie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

It also matters that he's one of the strongest to-the-rim-getters in basketball history and a superior defender in every way. Durant/LeBron/Kawhi is a way stronger team

melo even kinda sucks at getting to the rim lately. He's lost a bunch of hop last few seasons

Yeah it should be Kawhi, I was just thinking of how good prime Melo would be in this format. Actually the power of isolation in this format means that 90s/00s teams might actually be on the level of modern ones :v:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

This ad rules for so many reasons:

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
"Coach Kerr, would any of your Bulls teams stand a chance against this current Warriors squad?"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
If I was a player I'd start answering that poo poo with HELL YEAH I'LL SUIT UP AGAINST MAGIC JOHNSON RIGHT NOW. LET'S GET ON THE COURT

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

Either Dwight, Bron, or Rose could have won it. Rose was just the one who said at the beginning of the year "Why can't I be MVP" when asked a question about it. So the narrative was set from press conference day, and when he far far surpassed expectations and played like one of the best players that year. He was all but assured it.

I think Lebron, Dwight, Pau, and CP3 were all clearly more productive on offense and were all better defenders to boot.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I think Lebron, Dwight, Pau, and CP3 were all clearly more productive on offense and were all better defenders to boot.
Wade as well.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also I'm watching that Barbershop thing and I stand by Draymond being by far the most likeable Warrior, an opinion I held the last two years and continue to hold

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

zoux posted:

I mean, if the Grand Prize of the BIG 3 league isn't the right to rep the US at the Olympics, it's a major oversight on the part of this nation.

I like where your head's at

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

derp. I somehow forgot about KAT. whoops

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Eh, Pau and CP3 were pretty unreal that year too. Easily might be a strong word.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He wasn't, and certainly not fairly easily. He was good but man it's a horrible chocie.

5th in WS (LeBron James #1), 3rd in BPM, (LeBron James #1), 9th in PER (LeBron James #1), 4th in overall pts (KD #1, LeBron James #2), 8th in assists (Nash #1)

He had an okay case for being a top 5 player that year, maybe not top 3

But y'all are also forgetting that the Bulls won 62 games that year, most of any team in the NBA

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wade and Rose were pretty close that year IMO. Rose both in that next tier of guys with Dirk, Pierce, and Love. Anyone remember why Durant had a (relative) down year? Played 78 games but his numbers were across the board down from every other season in the past 8 years, much worse than the year before or the year after.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Michael Corleone posted:

"Coach Kerr, would any of your Bulls teams stand a chance against this current Warriors squad?"

"Well I think my Bulls team would do well, but probably lose by 15 or 20."

"Really coach? You think the 96 Bulls with Jordan and Pippen lose by that much?"

"Well, we are all in our fifties now..."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

The best part about the picture is that he's judging you for forgetting him and also telling you why

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder if Olympic 3 on 3 will have NBA players or be lame like FIBA 3 on 3. The team I'd want to see is LeBron/Durant/Leonard.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

Kibner you're ripping my heart into pieces is Davis a C or PF already you can't leave me in limbo forever

He has been shifting to playing more and more C since he entered the league and slowly bulked up. The last two (or maybe 3?) season, he spent the majority of his time at center. This coming season will be a reverse of trends because Boogie, but he'll still play C for the bulk of his minutes when Cuz is not on the floor with him.

So, the answer changes. Ideally, he would be a full time center.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm very glad the barbershop video ends with LeBron cackling at the athletic inferiority of whites

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IcePhoenix posted:

The best part about the picture is that he's judging you for forgetting him and also telling you why

He represents the DR in international play and is therefore no friend to the united states :colbert:

edit but I guess that question was parallel to the olympic discussion oops

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

EvanTH posted:

He represents the DR in international play and is therefore no friend to the united states :colbert:

edit but I guess that question was parallel to the olympic discussion oops

I think he only did that so he could spend time with Calipari before he was at Kentucky.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Kibner posted:

KAT is a loving monster but only when he gets mad, like some sort of incredible...hulk or something

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if Olympic 3 on 3 will have NBA players or be lame like FIBA 3 on 3. The team I'd want to see is LeBron/Durant/Leonard.

Kobe will post up fools all day long and lead Team USA to another gold medal.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I can't imagine anybody taking a single one pointer in those games. NBA guys shoot nearly 50 percent from the international line, and now those shots are worth twice as much as close shots? Plus it's losers ball anyway, so if you just get a dunk every single possession you can still get outscored anyway.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

one guy for the ringer was talking about how it might not be so good. I thought it was clickbait poo poo but the point they made was that FIBA may limit it to players who already play in their 3X3 world championship. I watched some of the highlights from that and it's pretty cool, albeit not as cool as having good nba players do it.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

And honestly they should just go fully NBA street and have judges score moves and dunks and award teams with shots that subtract points from the opposing team.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Should be make it, take it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

DeimosRising posted:

The myth of progress in politics bleeds into ideological understandings of science. Progressive evolution is a naturalization of technocratic politics.

Save it for the game day thread, scrub.

• Locked thread