Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wuffles posted:

If they decide to make the switch, they gain nothing by watching the Honda engine fail the rest of the year. If retrofitting the Merc is a total disaster they at least learn something for 2018.

If the midfield competition wasn't so tight, they could probably get a Honda-powered car to limp into the points a couple of times this season. I just don't see that happening.

What makes you think Mercedes would even agree to do that? It's not like jamming a Cosworth V8 in there because your works deal didn't pan out.

Hell, 20+ years ago, in a much simpler time, the team that switched from works to a customer engine mid season basically floundered the rest of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Sky said Nando's problem in FP1 was that the engine dicided to widdle it's hydraulics.

:sigh:

I honestly wonder if he'll even stay the rest of the season at this rate.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

SA's character limit is too low to list all the different ways in which this comparison is dumb and wrong.

Good to know trolling this thread is still easy

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

I honestly don't understand where the confusion is here. Retrofitting a modern F1 car with a different engine, halfway through the season, is fundamentally retarded and pointless. There is literally nothing to gain whatsoever. No one would ever do this.

Maybe they should do it. After all, look at these magnificent results!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footwork_FA12

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Do you guys understand just how complicated even a modern car engine is? Like you may as well say McLaren should build their own engine powered by moon dust and it'll make 2000 hp.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Good to know trolling this thread is still easy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RIPRB

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Given the election results I'm pretty high on hope right now, so it's probably not the right time to assess the likelihood of McLaren unfucking themselves for Alonso's sake

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Do you guys understand just how complicated even a modern car engine is? Like you may as well say McLaren should build their own engine powered by moon dust and it'll make 2000 hp.

It's also whether Mercedes even has enough support staff to take on another customer mid way through the year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

People suggest this all the time on the various boards I read.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Given the election results I'm pretty high on hope right now, so it's probably not the right time to assess the likelihood of McLaren unfucking themselves for Alonso's sake

My personal conspiracy theory, based on a similarly ridiculous amount of hope, is that the decision has already been made to drop Honda (AT THE END OF THE YEAR), Eddie Jordan is right about Mercedes leaving after 2018, and McLaren will return to being the full Mercedes works team in 2019.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's simple. you make a 1 cylinder engine and then just stick 6 of em together.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm starting my own rumors about McLaren Porsche based solely on the fact that I want it to happen.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They can only do two races right now with the MGU-K they have designed for the chassis. Yeah let's just slap a new power unit in everything will be fine.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

My personal conspiracy theory, based on a similarly ridiculous amount of hope, is that the decision has already been made to drop Honda (AT THE END OF THE YEAR), Eddie Jordan is right about Mercedes leaving after 2018, and McLaren will return to being the full Mercedes works team in 2019.

Paddy Lowe knows... that's why he left.

That's why Rosberg left.

That's why Lewis is going to retire when Mercedes leaves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mclaren-Ford-Cosworth.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Honda are the Theresa May of engine suppliers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Grosjean:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Did Grosjean just say "Ah gently caress him" with respect to K Mag?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yes, yes he did.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Grosjean is rapidly approaching the point where he will not be in F1 next year.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Yes, yes he did.

good, good

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress Grosjean is trash

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

Holy gently caress Grosjean is trash

He's also insanely mad which is funny

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Honda are the Theresa May of engine suppliers.

That's being too kind to them.

Honda is the Unit 731 of engine suppliers.

Honda is the ISIS of engine suppliers

Honda is the Gestapo of engine suppliers.

Honda is the KGB of engine suppliers.

Honda is the Schutzstaffel of engine suppliers.

Honda is the Donald Trump of engine suppliers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Honda is the Tony of engine suppliers.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Honda is absolute loving scum and garbage for idiot babies.

My dad just yesterday suggested buying a Honda lawn mower and I literally had such a massive autismal trigger I was in my hugbox the whole day. gently caress them.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Honda's performance in the past few seasons has actually soured me on even buying an old Honda to tinker with. It's weird, being a Honda guy all my life and turning around to feel disgust toward them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Honda's performance in the past few seasons has actually soured me on even buying an old Honda to tinker with. It's weird, being a Honda guy all my life and turning around to feel disgust toward them.

Synergy

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
And, this, ladies and gentleman.... shows the power of marketing in motorsport.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I drive a Honda from the good era so it doesn't effect me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FP2 summary:
https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/872570610060283904

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Called it. 30 new tracks have approached Brawn asking for a GP.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Less rounds please.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Less rounds please.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
20 is perfect.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Was it Alonso saying that it would drive good drivers out if the season went for 25+ rounds? You're gonna see a lot more conservative engine development if they make them go for even more rounds and keep the same penalties for replacements. I'd rather have better racing than just more racing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Less rounds please.

16 or 17 is like the perfect amount.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remove China, Rusia and Barcelona

Bring back Imola, laguna seca, hockenheim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU