Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tombot posted:

Next update the Cyclops will be made of pure potassium so it explodes the second it touches the water.

The Cyclops requires a tremendous amount of player energy to use, you must now eat and drink twice as much when inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thor-Stryker posted:

The Cyclops requires a tremendous amount of player energy to use, you must now eat and drink twice as much when inside.

This better include a Flinstones like hole in the base of the sub so you can stick your flippers through

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Azhais posted:

This better include a Flinstones like hole in the base of the sub so you can stick your flippers through

You should suggest that players should have to play a minigame to operate the Cyclops because verisimilitude or something. Let's go with a rhythm game because why not?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

You should suggest that players should have to play a minigame to operate the Cyclops because verisimilitude or something. Let's go with a rhythm game because why not?

Turning this into a Yoko taro game now?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Remember when the plan was actually to introduce 4 different submarines each with their own special abilities and all worth using?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GrandpaPants posted:

This is probably the best way to fight the hardcore game ruiners. Just start posting aaaaaalmost reasonable suggestions on why the game isn't hardcore enough

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GlyphGryph posted:

Remember when the plan was actually to introduce 4 different submarines each with their own special abilities and all worth using?
No? That sounds awesome though. I wonder what the 4th sub was gonna be like? If we assume that the Seamoth/Prawn/Cyclops was the evolution of those ideas.

I always thought a Catamaran-style boat that the cyclops could dock with and travel faster on the surface would have been cool, until I realized just how small the game world is and the seamoth is always probably gonna be faster than anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I think they got rid of them when they realized how small the world was gonna be. Remember that it was also supposed to be many times larger (and procedurally generated)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

My post in the linked steam announcement page might have got a little more meltdowny than I intended but it sums my feelings up well enough. I'm done.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder if these and other changes are enough to argue with Steam that this is no longer the same gameplay I payed for and ask for a refund, because I feel like this is going to keep getting worse.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Digirat posted:

I thought this was a joke until I looked at the link. Holy poo poo.

I had a lot of respect for unknown worlds from natural selection 2. That is rapidly evaporating. Every change I read from them that makes the game more tedious in service to the git-gudders while failing to address literally anything about the slideshow performance on competent systems is making me less and less confident they're going to pull this off.

Haven't followed development much in awhile, what's all changed lately for the worse outside of this silent running update. Also I never got to use the Cyclops much, what's the energy loop mentioned here?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

radintorov posted:

I wonder if these and other changes are enough to argue with Steam that this is no longer the same gameplay I payed for and ask for a refund, because I feel like this is going to keep getting worse.

That's a bit much. I just did a whole play-through without using the Cyclops at all. Went fine.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They're spending a lot of time not finishing the game. Fix the performance instead of the Cyclops nobody is going to use now.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

GrandpaPants posted:

If you want to use silent running, you have to pedal on a stationary bicycle to run the propeller. In order to pedal, you have to mash the left and right arrow keys in succession. The faster you do it, the faster your silent running speed.

By the way, you can't steer the sub while on the bike.

Zesty posted:

That's a bit much. I just did a whole play-through without using the Cyclops at all. Went fine.

And that's what I was trying to say with my earlier post. The Cyclops is becoming such a hassle to use that you'll be fine just ignoring it and spending your resources on a chain of bases where you can refuel your Seamoth/PRAWN.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 9, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I already never built the cyclops because it seemed inconvenient and that's when it was basically invincible. gently caress if I'm gonna try now. Let's turn this ocean floor into a metropolis.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I didn't mind the first silent running update so much. If the sub is actually gonna get even weaker and be even more of hassle to keep from burning up or running out of power I'll probably just forget it exists. It's so big and hard to maneuver into some of these cramped biomes as is. It's only real features for me was using it as a transport for the prawn and being able to move a large amount of supplies between bases. It's too high risk for that now. Maybe I should just move on. I don't know what it is about this genre, but The Forest, Subnautica, and The Long Dark all seem to have developers that haven't been doing much of anything but chasing their tail.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, I'm glad I never bought the game now. Can't wait to see what mess comes out of the finished product.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Flubby posted:

I didn't mind the first silent running update so much. If the sub is actually gonna get even weaker and be even more of hassle to keep from burning up or running out of power I'll probably just forget it exists. It's so big and hard to maneuver into some of these cramped biomes as is. It's only real features for me was using it as a transport for the prawn and being able to move a large amount of supplies between bases. It's too high risk for that now. Maybe I should just move on. I don't know what it is about this genre, but The Forest, Subnautica, and The Long Dark all seem to have developers that haven't been doing much of anything but chasing their tail.

That seems to be a running problem with the game's development. The cyclops is large, slow, and cumbersome and the majority of post-cyclops gameplay is about navigating cramped, dark areas that exacerbate these flaws. No amount of tedious upkeep minigames will make the cyclops interesting if it fundamentally isn't fun to drive.

It's like the lighting/draw distance issue. It needs to be fixed now because it's the single most important feature for their exploration game and if it turns out it can't be fixed (or requires the game to be fundamentally re-written) then any current polish might as well be thrown in the trash.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I believe it was their intent to limit the Cyclops in endgame so you're vulnerable while out and exploring. The submarine is meant to be a "home away" base that you use to stop outside these areas of interest.

But for some reason they decided that using natural designs to force players out of the sub wasn't enough, so they introduce burning garbage to make things artificially harder.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Coffeehitler posted:

I just want them to finish the loving story.

You escape safely, only to be blamed by Alterra for the loss of the Aurora and put into debtors' slavery for 87,472 natural human lifespans.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

You escape safely, only to be blamed by Alterra for the loss of the Aurora and put into debtors' slavery for 87,472 natural human lifespans.

You bring samples back and the Trans-System Federation creates their own version of the Kharra leading to the announcement of Natural-Selection 3 being a three-way between each of the factions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Whats up with all the people playing games that demand them to be as hard and punishing as possible? It was Dark Souls wasn't it?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've never seen a game gone down the drain from a really promising early access game to a sperg paradise that's not solving any technical issues and just adding more feature creep. I've requested a refund despite having 20 hours on it, lets see if it goes through.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
deleted

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 30, 2022

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

man you guys sound pretty spergy yourselves, Subnautica is still a fun and good game for people not Invested In The Principles of Gaming

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Efexeye posted:

man you guys sound pretty spergy yourselves, Subnautica is still a fun and good game for people not Invested In The Principles of Gaming

I prefer games that are actually games and not work simulators. Also games that don't crash and chug after 2 hours of playing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

twistedmentat posted:

Whats up with all the people playing games that demand them to be as hard and punishing as possible? It was Dark Souls wasn't it?

It makes them feel 'hardcore'.

Also, they have the idea that the relaxing fish-touching game is actually really scary and brutal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Night10194 posted:

It makes them feel 'hardcore'.

Also, they have the idea that the relaxing fish-touching game is actually really scary and brutal.

Its the kind of people who complain that in single player games that there are weapons that are too strong

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Efexeye posted:

Haha yeah, those spergs with their principles like "the game should not turn into an unplayable slideshow every 3 seconds."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Guys... It's not fully released yet, please save the incomplete-buggy-chuggy for when they finally finish the drat thing.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Guys... It's not fully released yet, please save the incomplete-buggy-chuggy for when they finally finish the drat thing.

It will never be finished. They'll put in the last bit of story, slap a 'Out of Early Access!' sticker on it, then wash their hands of the whole thing.

In general, gently caress this stupid attitude that 'game isn't finished' means we all have to just be quiet and polite until they decide at whatever arbitrary milestone that it's 'done'. It's called FEEDBACK, and it's what you are supposed to put a game out early for.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

It will never be finished. They'll put in the last bit of story, slap a 'Out of Early Access!' sticker on it, then wash their hands of the whole thing.

In general, gently caress this stupid attitude that 'game isn't finished' means we all have to just be quiet and polite until they decide at whatever arbitrary milestone that it's 'done'. It's called FEEDBACK, and it's what you are supposed to put a game out early for.

Feedback on story and mechanics, which is what they're looking for.

However if you're expecting them to optimize the game before it's feature complete, then you're in for a rude awakening on game development.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i would love to give them feedback on story and mechanics but it's kind of hard when the game slows to a crawl every time it has to load some loving textures because they keep sinking into grognard feature creep rather than actually doing crunch and finishing their game

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Thor-Stryker posted:

However if you're expecting them to optimize the game before it's feature complete, then you're in for a rude awakening on game development.

Other than tweaking sub numbers what are they actually doing though?
E: thats a real question i havent played in awhile but all they have added is a mech suit and some new areas. Which isnt much honestly and a hell of a lot less than the procedural large world they advertised when i bought it. My opinion is that got a pass when this game was unique and had promise. Kinda went the same old poo poo direction so maybe they dont get a pass anymore.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 10, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

DogonCrook posted:

Other than tweaking sub numbers what are they actually doing though?
E: thats a real question i havent played in awhile but all they have added is a mech suit and some new areas. Which isnt much honestly and a hell of a lot less than the procedural large world they advertised when i bought it. My opinion is that got a pass when this game was unique and had promise. Kinda went the same old poo poo direction so maybe they dont get a pass anymore.

They're putting out multiple experimental branch updates every day. They've got a public Trello page where you can actually see what they're doing constantly. Y'all are some tantrum throwing motherfuckers in here right now. Game continues to be excellent for where it is right now, will downgrade to merely ok if they don't fix technical stuff by 1.0.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

7c Nickel posted:

They're putting out multiple experimental branch updates every day. They've got a public Trello page where you can actually see what they're doing constantly. Y'all are some tantrum throwing motherfuckers in here right now. Game continues to be excellent for where it is right now, will downgrade to merely ok if they don't fix technical stuff by 1.0.

Again i havent played in a long time so it was an honest question. I havent heard of any new features thats why i was asking. Art assets arent poo poo to me because as i said i was a sold water world not some piss rear end caves. Its not a big deal and the game isnt poo poo, its just not good or promising anymore and everybody is starting to recognize that no subnautica is not an exeption to the early access norm, its the same old poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It seems okay to complain about the developers making a necessary part of the game incredibly unfun and difficult to deal with.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

sorry about your Stockholm syndrome

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Cyclops is the only sub that can survive deep enough to enter the lava caverns. The lava caverns are filled with things that make the Cyclops poop itself, among these are energy draining slugs and a host of predators that just love to bang holes in it and now they're making it even harder to use it down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yes, expecting to see literally any progress whatsoever after an entire year toward the game not turning into a slideshow every 3 seconds is just expecting too much and a failure to understand How It Works, even though that is the game's single biggest flaw in its current state and its single biggest risk for release since the devs don't appear to know what to do about it.