Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Post about more cave divers those guys rule too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

Post about more cave divers those guys rule too

Only if they are dead.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Looks like the Diving into Unknown documentary from last year is in youtube with subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpVKqdQHyVo

It's pretty interesting watch about the accident team of Finnish divers had when diving into Steinugleflaget cave system in Norway in 2014, resulting in death of two divers from the group. Norwegian authorities decided it was too dangerous to attempt to bring the bodies back, so the remaining divers from the group organized a clandestine "rescue" operation to bring the bodies back.

BBC story from last fall http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36097300

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cave diving gets a big ol fuckin NOPE from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yes, clearly my post history casts me as someone who idolises this guy.

When you're done beating up your straw man with a side helping of misogyny maybe you'll be a whole lot less angry about things?

:iceburn:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, between the bodies, the poop, the garbage, and the lineups, Everest looks like a terrible objective even without the danger.

Of course there are other mountains across the planet that get those lineups too, and I'm sure they're also really polluted, but not like Everest. I go up mountains to get away from all that.

I'm really glad that my mountains rarely get super busy except for a couple of exceptions. I've been lucky to scramble up peaks and back down and never encounter anyone else but the one or two people I went with.

extra bird parts
Apr 30, 2012

creepy blue bird with an upset expression crashing into a fire truck and causing an explosion in the style of vaporwave aesthetics

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, between the bodies, the poop, the garbage, and the lineups, Everest looks like a terrible objective even without the danger.

Of course there are other mountains across the planet that get those lineups too, and I'm sure they're also really polluted, but not like Everest. I go up mountains to get away from all that.

I'm really glad that my mountains rarely get super busy except for a couple of exceptions. I've been lucky to scramble up peaks and back down and never encounter anyone else but the one or two people I went with.

Out of curiosity, which mountains are those? So I can put them on my "places I'd rather not" list. Those pictures look like the exact opposite of what I want to see while up in the mountains.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last one looks like Half Dome in Yosemite.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Lunsku posted:

Looks like the Diving into Unknown documentary from last year is in youtube with subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpVKqdQHyVo

It's pretty interesting watch about the accident team of Finnish divers had when diving into Steinugleflaget cave system in Norway in 2014, resulting in death of two divers from the group. Norwegian authorities decided it was too dangerous to attempt to bring the bodies back, so the remaining divers from the group organized a clandestine "rescue" operation to bring the bodies back.

BBC story from last fall http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36097300

Thank you for giving me something interesting to watch while working sick today

god caves are fuckin scary

but the ones that aren't underwater are where bats live and bats are really cute... :ohdear:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Lunsku posted:

This American Life had part of an episode on David Shaw, who died while trying to recover a body. Oddly enough, while he didn't survive, he did accomplish his goal.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Last one looks like Half Dome in Yosemite.

It is but it doesn't look like that anymore since they put in a permit system

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Levitate posted:

That's good. If I saw that line, I'd just turn back. Nature is something you want to be able to stand around and enjoy, not move through in an assembly line.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zo posted:

i know you're kinda slow but the point is that you're getting really mad over people doing cool stuff while hundreds of millions of people are talking far bigger risks by not exercising

also lol, just lol at your scare quoting "achievements"

I'm not mad. "u mad?", seriously?

and personal achievements of strength endurance etc. aren't the same as, say, the achievements of astronauts or scientists or even businessmen, who are arguably accomplishing something that is valuable to other people.

Zo posted:

lol on a purely statistical life expectancy basis, you're taking a far bigger risk than them by being a sedentary fatass

Not really, no. I'm not a "sedentary fatass" either, but if I were, that'd still be irrelevant. We're discussing specifically those extremely dangerous activities that have extremely high death rates, not just any old exciting physical activity like general rock climbing (with ropes) or alpine climbing (reasonable climbs that may have technical challenges but aren't killing like 1% of everyone who participates annually).

Maluco Marinero posted:

Maaaaate, people take bigger risks in industry than these folks do. To work in offshore oil & gas you need to learn how to get out of a helicopter that's ditched in the sea. People have vaporised themselves by cracking bolts on the wrong pipeline. People have been horribly disfigured by improperly designed shielding/protection.

A modern lifestyle is built on the backs of people taking far greater risks than these guys are. Even in environments where thrill isn't the aim, we haven't fully controlled risk and likely never will be able to mitigate it entirely due to nature being nature.

No, actually, and this is the entire point.

The most dangerous jobs in the US are in logging and fishing, and these jobs carry an accidental death rate of around 120 to 130 per 100,000 workers (and this is also presumably among people doing this job 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year). I found various sources for the last few years that varied in exact numbers, but most cited the bureau of labor statistics, so those are pretty solid numbers. And of course, we actually need wood and fish, a lot; and I'd argue those rates are also unacceptably high and could be lowered if those industries were better regulated, so I'm not even making an argument that 130 per 100,000 is an acceptable death rate.

But 130/100,000 annually translates to an average risk of death for each worker of 0.13% per year, or approximately 0.00052% per day at work.

It's harder to find the death rate for, say, free climbers per day of free-climbing, but I'm quite certain it's drastically higher, probably by a factor of at least 100 and maybe more like 1000 to 10,000.

Destro posted:

Humans also have an innate desire to accomplish things. Free soloing El Cap after climbing for 20 years is definitely praiseworthy it is an amazing feat that stands as a testament to what humans are really able to achieve.

Yes, humans want to accomplish great things, and that's very very good. I disagree about what is praiseworthy. I believe that men like Honnold have tremendous talent and physical ability and dedication; but they could channel that talent and dedication into activities that are just as (or more) rewarding both personally and to others, and yet do not carry as extreme a danger as this particular one.

We have a culture where we praise people for being really good at things, which is fine, but we should not praise people at being really good at near-suicidally-dangerous behavior. Even if that behavior is really, really impressively skilled.

quote:

If we never gave into our desire for adventure and curiosity we'd still be hitting things with sticks. Space travel is an extremely dangerous endeavor, there is no possible way to have zero risk, your argument suggests that space travel or anything with a high risk factor is not praiseworthy or an achievement.

No, because space travel actually accomplishes very valuable things, it's not just a sport. Similarly, I've repeatedly emphasized that I'm not arguing that people should take no risks, that's absurd. I'm only arguing that risks should have commensurate rewards, and that we should not encourage people to take pointless risks by rewarding their basically pointless risky activity with praise and attention.

Why is this so hard to understand? That there's a difference between doing a dangerous job, and doing a dangerous liesure-time activity?

I just want to end by reminding you guys of how this particular derail always gets started:

Maluco Marinero posted:

Many people's relationship with physical risk is all sorts of hosed up these days. Many will go their whole life without having to train/practice to offset a physical risk, such that when people decide to pick up an activity that has physical risk involved, they don't appreciate the risks nor how it is necessary to offset risk through training and preparation.

They see other people partaking in a risky activity and think they MUST be foolhardy thrill seekers thumbing their nose at the odds, and then hopping back into their car for a statistically more likely vehicular death.

To paraphrase, and I'm trying to be fair: "people think these super-trained experts are taking insane and stupid risks, but they're not really because of all the training" is just wrong. No amount of training, not even decades of it, can reduce the fatal risk to a point where it's even in the same ballpark as, say, being a logger, fisherman, or offshore oil worker. Even the most finely-honed hyper-trained athletes and sportsmen in the world still make minor errors from time to time, it's unavoidable. And most importantly because no amount of training can prevent the rock you're holding from coming loose, and I'd argue you can't totally eliminate the risk of making some very small mistake that, under the conditions, turns out to be fatal.

I find that tragic and regrettable and I think if praising and lauding and heaping attention on people like Steck is part of what ultimately gets them killed, that's kind of hosed up.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Leperflesh posted:

The most dangerous jobs in the US are in logging and fishing, and these jobs carry an accidental death rate of around 120 to 130 per 100,000 workers (and this is also presumably among people doing this job 40 hours a week, 50 weeks a year).

Those are both highly seasonal jobs, with nowhere near 50 weeks/year of work. Crab fishing (the most deadly of the fishing jobs IIRC) is only for a couple months out of each year.. so the death rate/100k is a lot higher.

Leperflesh posted:

It's harder to find the death rate for, say, free climbers per day of free-climbing, but I'm quite certain it's drastically higher, probably by a factor of at least 100 and maybe more like 1000 to 10,000.

Translation: I conveniently can't find the data that supports my argument so I'm just going to assume it's out there and agrees with me.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I'm not even sure what you want besides for us to not think that free soloing is cool as gently caress. The accomplishments of people like Ueli and Steck or race car drivers, boxers, football players or any support that can cause injury, death, or long term disability have inspired many people and that in and of itself is value added to people's lives. And people are going do what they find most interesting in life. There doesn't seem to be any way for you to look at it from another perspective. It's not a stupid risk if that is all or a big part of what you live for.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Leperflesh posted:

I believe that men like Honnold have tremendous talent and physical ability and dedication; but they could channel that talent and dedication into activities that are just as (or more) rewarding both personally and to others, and yet do not carry as extreme a danger as this particular one.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think he could/should be doing instead that uses his unique combination of skills but has near zero risk?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think he could/should be doing instead that uses his unique combination of skills but has near zero risk?

Fly a wingsuit three feet away from a canyon wall.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Incesticide posted:

Out of curiosity, which mountains are those? So I can put them on my "places I'd rather not" list. Those pictures look like the exact opposite of what I want to see while up in the mountains.

Everest, Snowdon (Wales), Paterno (Italy), Fuji, Half Dome.

Levitate posted:

Well thank gently caress for that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

near zero risk?

it's like I'm talking to a brick wall

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Oh for gently caress's sake. Okay, what do you think he could/should be doing instead that uses his unique combination of skills but has extremely, dramatically lower risk?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I don't understand what everyone wants out of this derail either. Ok so you disagree on risk assessments, bfd.

For better or for worse, people are always going to be fascinated by extreme risk takers.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Honnold does what he does because he wants to and he's good at it. loving leave it at that already.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He saw a lot of good men die on that hill.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If only he had listened to leperfish and stayed inside to watch some anime in the safety of his home

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Okay, what do you think he could/should be doing instead that uses his unique combination of skills but has extremely, dramatically lower risk?

His natural abilities probably revolve around being very even-tempered, able to focus for long periods, high degrees of eye-hand and body coordination, and of course, physical fitness and strength. I don't know if having no fear of heights is a natural ability or a developed skill. If he can also pass academic classes, he could probably be an actual astronaut. Or an olympic athlete. Or maybe he could do underwater welding, or operate a crane doing skyscraper construction. He could be a stunt pilot, maybe? There's countless careers and endeavors that those abilities could apply to and which aren't nearly as dangerous and/or have some greater benefit to society.

It's not even just doing rock climbing that I'm critical of. It's the freeclimbing. What's wrong with doing the exact same climb, but with a rope? What is the great achievement that you get from going "look ma, no hands" while you climb the exact same rock face? It's certainly impressive from a "holy poo poo dear god that man is insane" viewpoint. :shrug:

Ruggan posted:

I don't understand what everyone wants out of this derail either. Ok so you disagree on risk assessments, bfd.

For better or for worse, people are always going to be fascinated by extreme risk takers.

Understandably. I am too, to some degree. I guess I just hoped to make a point about how hard it is for people to assess or even recognize the difference between very high risk, and extreme risk. I feel pretty vindicated in that assessment when people say poo poo like "oh well I guess he should just sit on his rear end watching anime instead???" like that's the only alternative to free-climbing El Capitan. In the previous thread, I recall some everest-climbing mom's quote that basically showed she felt attempting to summit everest carried about the same risk as riding a bicycle on public roads. It's the reason why people buy lottery tickets; they just can't really gut-feel fathom what a 1 in 35 million chance is, compared to say a 1 in 1000 chance.

Clearly that's just not something most posters in the thread care to discuss, though. I'm still gonna think people who freeclimb sheer cliff faces are doing something suicidally stupid that everyone who loves them should be trying to talk them out of, not praising them for.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Leperflesh posted:

Clearly that's just not something most posters in the thread care to discuss, though. I'm still gonna think people who freeclimb sheer cliff faces are doing something suicidally stupid that everyone who loves them should be trying to talk them out of, not praising them for.

Quick everyone write to him and tell him to stop free climbing dangerous things.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

khysanth posted:

Quick everyone write to him and tell him to stop free climbing dangerous things.

Dear cool climb guy,

Don't climb cool.

Please,

Arivia

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

His natural abilities probably revolve around being very even-tempered, able to focus for long periods, high degrees of eye-hand and body coordination, and of course, physical fitness and strength. I don't know if having no fear of heights is a natural ability or a developed skill. If he can also pass academic classes, he could probably be an actual astronaut. Or an olympic athlete. Or maybe he could do underwater welding, or operate a crane doing skyscraper construction. He could be a stunt pilot, maybe? There's countless careers and endeavors that those abilities could apply to and which aren't nearly as dangerous and/or have some greater benefit to society.
I think you have a very unusual idea of the way talents and skills transfer at these super high levels. Remember the world's greatest basketball player of all time couldn't even successfully play another sport that required identical skills with a slightly smaller ball. Not just that he wasn't the world's best at it too, he was literally incapable of doing it at a professional level.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk

Alex Honnold to the entire world.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you have a very unusual idea of the way talents and skills transfer at these super high levels. Remember the world's greatest basketball player of all time couldn't even successfully play another sport that required identical skills with a slightly smaller ball. Not just that he wasn't the world's best at it too, he was literally incapable of doing it at a professional level.

I remember seeing some large study about why professional MLB batters who hit 90 mph balls would just get destroyed by softball pitchers throwing balls at 70 MPH. Eventually you're relying on learned reflexes and instincts over actually seeing and reacting to the ball being thrown, so despite it being an objectively easier pitch, MLB batters could not hit them and would swing out every time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought we were imagining a world in which Honnold decided to do something other than dedicating his life to climbing rocks?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Well poo poo now I gotta watch Blackhawk Down again. Ironically it involves someone becoming seriously injured and several other people dying trying to rescue him because he failed to descend properly on a rope.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

High Lord Elbow posted:

Well poo poo now I gotta watch Blackhawk Down again. Ironically it involves someone becoming seriously injured and several other people dying trying to rescue him because he failed to descend properly on a rope.

And if the pilots would have had their goddamn reflective belts on they would have been fine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I thought we were imagining a world in which Honnold decided to do something other than dedicating his life to climbing rocks?
Yeah, I'm saying he wouldn't necessarily be good, let alone world-class, at anything else. So "just use your talents/skills for a safer thing" isn't realistic advice.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nobody who climbs rocks or mountains or anything gives a single poo poo what you think about it...so what is even the point of all this discussion? It's masturbatory and super loving boring,

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

great argument. well thought out. gold star.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

No, really. It's a stupid conversation.

Discuss why idiots with zero experience go up Everest to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Leperflesh posted:

It's not even just doing rock climbing that I'm critical of. It's the freeclimbing. What's wrong with doing the exact same climb, but with a rope? What is the great achievement that you get from going "look ma, no hands" while you climb the exact same rock face? It's certainly impressive from a "holy poo poo dear god that man is insane" viewpoint. :shrug:

Understandably. I am too, to some degree. I guess I just hoped to make a point about how hard it is for people to assess or even recognize the difference between very high risk, and extreme risk. I feel pretty vindicated in that assessment when people say poo poo like "oh well I guess he should just sit on his rear end watching anime instead???" like that's the only alternative to free-climbing El Capitan. In the previous thread, I recall some everest-climbing mom's quote that basically showed she felt attempting to summit everest carried about the same risk as riding a bicycle on public roads. It's the reason why people buy lottery tickets; they just can't really gut-feel fathom what a 1 in 35 million chance is, compared to say a 1 in 1000 chance.

Yes, if only Alex Honnold had a safe job like astronaut or stunt pilot.