Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They definitely work there, but it could just be you didn't throw them close enough as their gravity pull isn't strong enough to move L3 objects into range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

HATECUBE posted:

recyclers did not eat the leverage3 boxes outside of HR in the lobby but that could be a lack of trying more than once
If it's positioned properly, it should at least displace the object enough for you to get through.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They are picky, but I know I've used them to get into HR specifically. If you get unlucky and land it right against the doorframe or another object or something it won't work because it needs line of sight. Think of it like it shoots out disintegrator rays from the grenade itself instead of being a spherical blast like the graphic implies. It seems to work best if you give it a little bit of distance from the object too.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

If you mean recycler grenades, you can go through any and all leverage obstacles including level 3 ones. They eat up all of the various liftable objects.

You still need the real level 3 to get through unpowered doors. I don't remember any of those that you couldn't bypass, though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gadzuko posted:

They are picky, but I know I've used them to get into HR specifically. If you get unlucky and land it right against the doorframe or another object or something it won't work because it needs line of sight. Think of it like it shoots out disintegrator rays from the grenade itself instead of being a spherical blast like the graphic implies. It seems to work best if you give it a little bit of distance from the object too.
Keep in mind you can also attach them directly on objects, in case of "this specific cargo parcel/tape drive needs to go away". Just walk up to the thing so that Morgan changes the position of his arm, slap the charge on the thing, stand back and shoot it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

If you're also picky about being wasteful with recycle charges I also found out the other day that any leverage lvl. 1 object being thrown will shove lvl. 2 or 3 objects out of the way. It might take 2-3 tries, but can reliably push open pretty much any path blocked by heavy items.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Anyone finished with Prey and have not played Dishonored. Go do so now. It's held up really well.

I took the opportunity to play the challenges which I've never done before and they're more fun than I thought.

gently caress that burglar expert Cheevo though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

If you're also picky about being wasteful with recycle charges I also found out the other day that any leverage lvl. 1 object being thrown will shove lvl. 2 or 3 objects out of the way. It might take 2-3 tries, but can reliably push open pretty much any path blocked by heavy items.
There's an additional trick to that. Pick up a lvl 1 object and place it right next to the lvl 2/3 object you want to move. Now stand in the pick-up range of the lvl 1 object but in such a way that the lvl 2/3 object's edge is in your way. Now pick up the lvl 1 object. For some reason this "pull" force is way stronger than throwing stuff and even the biggest poo poo gets moved immediately.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Just take leverage 3.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The writing and voice acting in Prey is a lot better than Dishonored, which was honestly laughable in many places.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Anyone finished with Prey and have not played Dishonored. Go do so now. It's held up really well.

I took the opportunity to play the challenges which I've never done before and they're more fun than I thought.

gently caress that burglar expert Cheevo though.

I tried to do this but the controls felt like garbage. Really floaty and sluggish. Not sure if there is a fix.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Kurzon posted:

The writing and voice acting in Prey is a lot better than Dishonored, which was honestly laughable in many places.

As much as I love the Dishonored series for its world design and gameplay, yeah, the writing isn't all that great. At its worst, it's one or two steps above Saturday-morning cartoon villainy. I absolutely adore Stephen Russell for his work as Garrett (and Mercer Frey in an otherwise bland questline in Skyrim), but even he can't save some of the snide high-chaos Corvo quips in D2.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 9, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurzon posted:

Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Prey's $40 on PSN atm, if anyone's interested in that version.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Shall we gather for whiskey and cigars tonight?

Never doubt it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I liked playing around in Dishonored but it always felt more like a playground than something more engrossing. I have a lot of criticisms about the game, but at the heart of the issue, I think, is that it asked you to invent your own challenge rather than providing it organically. You're never really vunerable or short on resources, unless you choose to play that way.

Also didn't like how underdeveloped the non lethal options were.

Which isn't too say it's not a great, inventive, beautiful game but imo it's deeply flawed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Like it rewards creativity, but mostly by just making you feel clever. In Prey your circumstances push you towards those alternative solutions themselves. This isn't totally absent in Dishonored, but it's marginalized.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Things are bad. Could the station get any worse?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

Yes. There's a ton of resources lying around and you could get a lot less value from the recycled materials so you'd constantly be scrounging. I started popping neuromods and weapon mod kits out mostly for fun by the end, just to see how ridiculously powerful I could get.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Rinkles posted:

Like it rewards creativity, but mostly by just making you feel clever. In Prey your circumstances push you towards those alternative solutions themselves. This isn't totally absent in Dishonored, but it's marginalized.

Dishonoured to me felt strangely like Hotline Miami in that you die often, but you feel like a loving action hero when things go just right. That's assuming you're playing high chaos however.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Digirat posted:

Honestly the phantom dialogue makes Dishonored NPC barks seem many and varied by comparison. It makes sense in the lore that any one phantom might repeat themselves a lot, but it really feels like there are only four lines of dialog across the entire population.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the phantom voice lines in this are repetitive as hell, it's just that you can barely hear them from the masking.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
The phantom voices would probably work better if they weren't subtitled.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yeah the phantom voice lines in this are repetitive as hell, it's just that you can barely hear them from the masking.

They probably shouldn't have given them subtitles.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stupid god drat......hhummrhmhmrghmhrrggghghhh......stupid god drat typhon.....neuromods...all of it. All this...crap...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Piss off, choffer." - Phantom, as I powerslide up to it with my shotgun out

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lambskin posted:

Dishonoured to me felt strangely like Hotline Miami in that you die often, but you feel like a loving action hero when things go just right. That's assuming you're playing high chaos however.

You're most at danger when being overly reckless or overly concerned about the well being of others. Which I guess is sort of interesting thematically.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

You're most at danger when being overly reckless or overly concerned about the well being of others. Which I guess is sort of interesting thematically.

I've been meaning to try dishonored 2, it seems that nonlethal combat can actually be quite fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Non lethal had some really frustrating and artificial limitations. Like you couldn't choke someone when they were leaning against something, even if you were directly behind them and their upper torso was entirely exposed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But that happens very rarely and D2 has lots more options for loudly non-lethalling enemies. play dishonroed is good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My preferred method of FPS is save scumming so that my actual playthrough is composed of one dude, be it Adam Jensen, Corvo, or Ms. Morgan Yu just perfect scoring every single John Wu fight scene in one masterstroke after another.

Prey is built this way, Dishonored is and from what I played in the Demo it seems at least Emily's playstyle is very much defined by moving through people quickly.

I think that while they are far from perfect, I'm comfortable saying that they are very clever people and they get more right than they get wrong!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do yourselves a favor and play all of Arkane's games. Some of them are better than others but all of them are great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dishonored was a game I wanted to love because it did things I appreciate in games well, some even splendidly, but the parts didn't quite interlock perfectly. It's a fantastic game on many levels despite my (many) misgivings. Of course, play it if you haven't yet. I criticize it as much as I do precisely because it does so much right but somehow (for me) falls short of excellence.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Have you played the second?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Have you played the second?

Nope, but hope to when I have some spare cash.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
In D2, you can even still take someone down non-lethally when they're already engaged in combat with you, and i mean with your hands, not something like stun bolts. they vastly expanded your options for non-lethal stuff.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rinkles posted:

Nope, but hope to when I have some spare cash.

I hope you like it. I had a blast playing it. Based on what you wrote, I think you might like what they've done.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I actually liked that takedown difficulty was not symmetrical between lethal and nonlethal approaches. Compare DXHR, for instance, where the stun gun trivializes silent KOs and, unlike w/ sleep darts, can carry plenty of ammo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I actually liked that takedown difficulty was not symmetrical between lethal and nonlethal approaches. Compare DXHR, for instance, where the stun gun trivializes silent KOs and, unlike w/ sleep darts, can carry plenty of ammo.
Oh, its still far easier to go nuts with the murderspree, don't worry. Its just that they got rid of a lot of those artificial limitations about takedowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I generally play non lethal in both games. But sometimes you just have to release the rats.

It's EFB but agree, still really rewarding going non lethal.

You might really like being able to create stacked bonecharms in the second. It made choking fools super cathartic after the first game for me.

Two levels in particular are :stare: levels of great in DH2. I think you owe it to yourself man.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 10, 2017