Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've never liked Blink that much. I've never been able to care about the characters, and the dumb sound effects ruin the Angels for me. (The only time they've been effective for me is in their two-parter.)

This has been my daily bad opinion in the Doctor Who thread. You may brickbat me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Deep Breath and Listen are both excellent.

So is Kill the Moon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like the ending of Deep Breath and I am thankful they never answered which happened- because it's irrelevant. The Doctor made him die, one way or the other.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Burkion posted:

I like the ending of Deep Breath and I am thankful they never answered which happened- because it's irrelevant. The Doctor made him die, one way or the other.

Yeah -- in this case, the difference between talking someone to death and pushing them off a ledge was basically just optics.

I mean, I don't buy that Clara -- and particularly Bill -- would travel with someone who acts like Capaldi's Doctor does, given his sheer deficit of empathy, but that's another issue.

(I personally hope that, as Capaldi's regenerating, someone is as brutally impatient with his sacrifice as he's frequently been with the deaths of others. I've always thought this to be a staggeringly nasty character trait, if clearly deliberate.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Clara wasn't going to stay with him, but she hung around out of obligation when Matt Smith phoned her and they got attached. Then when Bill came around he was much nicer anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

2house2fly posted:

The first half of Deep Breath didn't land for me but the second half totally did. I was weirded out when I saw people saying they didn't feel Capaldi because his character wasn't defined until the second series because, uh, are you kidding:

Early Capaldi was hamstrung by the ridiculous "am I a good man?" poo poo. The audience already knows the answer, there's zero chance the writers will provide the unexpected answer, so it comes off as forced and uninteresting. What finally sold me was dropping that and committing to his "3, but more insane and devious" persona.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Second half of Deep Breath is excellent. That first half though.... woof. As soon as they get to the restaurant the quality just soars.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've generally had fun with Gatiss's episodes over the past 10 years (even silly ones that weren't usually so well-received like "Victory of the Daleks" and "Robot of Sherwood")

Well everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, but just a reminder that Robot of Sherwood is objectively good and anybody who disagrees is wrong and a jerk.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best thing he's done with Doctor Who is probably "An Adventure In Space and Time".

This is still true though. However I think The Crimson Horror comes close, I loving loved that episode.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Theres a 12 and bill book called diamond dogs, but it doesn't look like its set in the cold war?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

See, what I should have said is that I'm the only person who liked the first half of Deep Breath. (Though I'm not sure I'd say it's good.)

I didn't like it the first time around, but after a rewatch I came to appreciate some things that I'm not sure were communicated as clearly as they should have been, namely Vastra being completely blinded by her own preconceptions of the Doctor and giving Clara a lot of horrible advice as a result.

Jerusalem posted:

This is still true though. However I think The Crimson Horror comes close, I loving loved that episode.

The Crimson Horror was fantastic, and that pulpy goodness is what I'm hoping for from Empress.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway, if you were going to put me on the spot for a short list of favorite Moffat episodes, Deep Breath wouldn't be on it, but The Wizard's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar would be.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Theres a 12 and bill book called diamond dogs, but it doesn't look like its set in the cold war?

Maybe it's set in 1984.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Well everybody is entitled to their opinion of course, but just a reminder that Robot of Sherwood is objectively good and anybody who disagrees is wrong and a jerk.

Yeah, who the hell doesn't like Robot of Sherwood? That ep owns bones. :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

docbeard posted:

Anyway, if you were going to put me on the spot for a short list of favorite Moffat episodes, Deep Breath wouldn't be on it, but The Wizard's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar would be.

Now that's a controversial choice!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

And More posted:

I can find something redeeming about most of his episodes. That one really was just awful, though. Particularly since it came right after the abhorrent Zygon two-parter and the tone-deaf Ashildr two-parter.

I think the eye-booger one was okay. It definitely doesn't manage to land intact, but it at least tried to do something interesting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the eye-booger one was okay. It definitely doesn't manage to land intact, but it at least tried to do something interesting.

I think Sleep No More only really falls apart in the places where that's called 'eye boogers' instead of stuff like 'sleep dust'. If you're going in and you call it a name like that, you inherently can't take the concept seriously, so you start off on the wrong foot since it's taking them seriously.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Astroman posted:

Yeah, who the hell doesn't like Robot of Sherwood? That ep owns bones. :colbert:

:wave:

It's not awful, but it was a mostly scrub tier episode for me.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking of controversial preferences, I think I might be the only person whose favorite DW episode is Paradise Towers.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ephemeron posted:

Speaking of controversial preferences, I think I might be the only person whose favorite DW episode is Paradise Towers.

I know someone who loves Time and the Rani. I just assume he took a blow to the head sometime in 1987.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

Nah, Paradise Towers is pretty drat good. Not my favourite (The Happiness Patrol) but I really like it and a lot of the ideas it's playing with.

(Which Kangs is best Kangs?)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, Paradise Towers is pretty drat good. Not my favourite (The Happiness Patrol) but I really like it and a lot of the ideas it's playing with.

(Which Kangs is best Kangs?)

Red. Duh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Ringmaster's rap was better than anything Murray Gold wrote. :colbert:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Ephemeron posted:

I had it on VHS as a kid and watched it endlessly, so it does hold a special place in my heart.

Pex is best Kang.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Paradise Towers was the very first Who I ever saw, and thus holds a special place in my heart. I was very young, and a man was being chased by a robot. This was enough to hold my attention, and has ever since. :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, Nick Briggs must be a fan. Otherwise why would he remake it _three_ times in the last four years.

Paradise Towers... but in an airport!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/spaceport-fear-708

Paradise Towers... but in a parking garage!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-high-price-of-parking-1257

Paradise Towers... but in an Amazon warehouse!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-warehouse-874

(All with the seventh doctor too!)

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Paradise Towers is the best S24 story and the scene where McCoy fools the guards with their own rulebook to escape is the moment when the 7th Doctor as he is well and truly begins for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCpaOLo6tio

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

Paradise Towers is the best S24 story and the scene where McCoy fools the guards with their own rulebook to escape is the moment when the 7th Doctor as he is well and truly begins for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCpaOLo6tio

The bit where he stops to look at his watch to see how long he's been a prisoner.... :discourse:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, Nick Briggs must be a fan. Otherwise why would he remake it _three_ times in the last four years.

Paradise Towers... but in an airport!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/spaceport-fear-708

Paradise Towers... but in a parking garage!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-high-price-of-parking-1257

Paradise Towers... but in an Amazon warehouse!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-warehouse-874

(All with the seventh doctor too!)

Spaceport Fear is a Six story, in fact. And it's pretty fun!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would much sooner put Paradise Towers on the top 10 list of stories than on the bottom 10.

Fil5000 posted:

I know someone who loves Time and the Rani. I just assume he took a blow to the head sometime in 1987.

Time and the Rani isn't good, but it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation. It's more mediocre than anything. It's better than all but 2 or 3 of Colin Baker's stories.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
As a kid, just through chance I'd only managed to see the worst McCoy episodes on public TV and it soured me for years. The one exception, which I loved right away, was Paradise Towers: it was fun, satirical (the allegory of the elderly cannibalizing the young always slew me), and had Richard Briers doing a John Cleese Gumby impression. I've always loved it, even when I was too young to know about the Ballard influence.

Also, I don't know why it took me so long to finally see Greatest Show in the Galaxy. It's really up there, too, and in much the same vein of mildly subversive social satire.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Also, I don't know why it took me so long to finally see Greatest Show in the Galaxy. It's really up there, too, and in much the same vein of mildly subversive social satire.

Plus it had Barack Obama rapping :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McCoy had some really wierd, but really ambitious stories in his run. JNT tried to reinvent the show after the offscreen issues and ratings declines of the Colin era, and you had a lot of new blood with Cartmel and other young writers. It was a great burst of creativity at the end of that era that probably would have been normalized out into mediocrity had the show gone on a few more years.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Getting back to election news, we here in Finland have just chosen as the leader of a major government party (and possibly our new Minister of Foreign Affairs) a disgusting lizard-faced crypto-fascist shithead who his followers seriously and unironically call the Master and I'm not even kidding.

Anyway, Paradise Towers is really good and looking like a reasonably appealing place to live right now.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The McCoy years prepared us for this era. At least we know that real-world fascists are as stupid as the ones who fell for his rulebook trick up above there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Time and the Rani isn't good, but it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation. It's more mediocre than anything. It's better than all but 2 or 3 of Colin Baker's stories.

I can't make it through it. And the only other serial that's happened with for me is the twin dilemma. Even Delta and the Bannermen has more to recommend it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I sort of ironically love Time And The Rani as well. Something about the combination of it being the desperate last gaps of the Colin Baker years, plus how incredibly 80's it looks (but especially how incredibly 80's it sounds with that goddamned Keff McCulloch score) makes it work for me as a once in a while guilty pleasure.

It's not good, not really, but it's got a sense of fun that the direst stuff from the C. Baker years lack.

Basically what I'm saying is that the DWM 50th anniversary poll of all the stories which put all of S24 in the bottom 30 is massively incorrect and I will fight about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God save the Queen! :britain:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that little hearing trumpet on the Victorian-era spacesuit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

FreezingInferno posted:

I sort of ironically love Time And The Rani as well. Something about the combination of it being the desperate last gaps of the Colin Baker years, plus how incredibly 80's it looks (but especially how incredibly 80's it sounds with that goddamned Keff McCulloch score) makes it work for me as a once in a while guilty pleasure.

It's not good, not really, but it's got a sense of fun that the direst stuff from the C. Baker years lack.

Basically what I'm saying is that the DWM 50th anniversary poll of all the stories which put all of S24 in the bottom 30 is massively incorrect and I will fight about it.

Yeah, that's unfair. I don't think there's any season/series of Who that's got nothing of worth in it. Even Trial has the first part of The Ultimate Foe, and Season 24 has the aforementioned Paradise Towers which (long shots of the cleaning robot accompanied by Keff's orchestra stabs aside) is great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm quite enjoying this, it's very Gatiss though. He loves Victoriana.

EDIT: Capaldi has cracked out the Tom Baker impression a couple of times now. :allears:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think Gatiss just loves historical stuff in general. The Lucifer Box novels start in the Victorian period, move up to the Edwardian and finish in the early stages of the cold war.

• Locked thread