Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

I'm in the audience during the climax along with a bunch of other improvisers from Philly. It was a fun day and they gave us free pizza after we waited around for like 6 hours. Good excuse to go to NY for the weekend.

I would have spent the entire time trying to play it cool but also trying to woo Kate Micucci and Gillian Jacobs.

I never really goon out over celebs or comedians, but those two are the only exceptions. Except like David Lynch

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Season 2 of Flaked has been out for a few days now. I'm mostly positive on it, though I haven't seen the last two episodes yet. The birthday party episode was simultaneously the funniest and saddest one yet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

The way that one juuuust doesn't come together is a bummer

yeah, especially since Calvary is like maybe my second or third favorite movie of the decade.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Franchescanado posted:

I would have spent the entire time trying to play it cool but also trying to woo Kate Micucci and Gillian Jacobs.

just come to LA, I'm pretty sure I saw Jacobs at a coffee shop in Larchmont yesterday.

I watched Catfight which was equal parts horrifying and hilarious

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah, especially since Calvary is like maybe my second or third favorite movie of the decade.

I'd heard negative things so I knew to lower my expectations going in but it surprised me that despite it not being particularly good you could still definitely tell it was in (John) McDonagh's voice.
Not sure if I'm articulating this correctly but I think one of the things he does really well is portray characters who are clearly rational thinkers but are often acting "wrong"/against their own interests in a conventional sense, whether it be a conscious decision by the character or an extension of their personality. Then they're sort of put against this somber/almost cliche world that's totally indifferent or antagonistic to their presence or their attitude and you watch them sort of bang themselves against it until they leave some sort of dent.
But with War on Everyone everything's amplified in that way (Mariachi band mid-gunfight) and I think Pena and Skarsgard's characters (not rly feelin up to googling the accent letters for their names) always seem so at ease in their environment and the world they inhabit that it's never a question that they're in control of the situation (and by extension - the movie) so when they're purposefully antagonizing someone it just comes off as them being assholes because the power's clearly aligned with them. Which maybe isn't a bad way to frame a movie about the police but then there's multiple scenes with Paul Reiser that make it clear their behavior is actively rejected by the police (and they succeed outside of the police) so it seems like that's not the goal.
Pena & Skarsgard (still not googling) really put their effort in and I think they sell the relationship between them but their interactions with everyone else just makes them seem like totally unlikable people. Plus like, when Gleeson makes racist/whatever comments in The Guard it's clear that he's actively tailoring those towards the audience for those remarks to gauge their reactions. But like Pena/Skarsgard are homo/transphobic even when they're just talking to each other in the car , which is fine if you want to characterize them as that way but then we see this intentionally contradicted by the ending it just means we're supposed to what, perceive them as insincere assholes?
Just bums me out because it's all so close to cohering but it just doesn't.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 9, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I never really goon out over celebs or comedians, but those two are the only exceptions. Except like David Lynch

It was definitely difficult just to be within fifty feet of them. (Mostly because of the restraining order)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I watched Catfight which was equal parts horrifying and hilarious

You should really listen to the episode of Doug Loves Movies guest starring Sandra Oh, Anne Heche and the director Onur Tukel. Onur was on an episode previously, and was kicked off for being an rear end in a top hat. He apologized, and asked to come back, this time to promote Catfight. Not only did he get kicked off again, but Anne Heche also got kicked off for being a blathering idiot, while Sandra Oh just sat there in awkward bewilderment at the mess around her.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'd heard negative things so I knew to lower my expectations going in but it surprised me that despite it not being particularly good you could still definitely tell it was in (John) McDonagh's voice.
Not sure if I'm articulating this correctly but I think one of the things he does really well is portray characters who are clearly rational thinkers but are often acting "wrong"/against their own interests in a conventional sense, whether it be a conscious decision by the character or an extension of their personality. Then they're sort of put against this somber/almost cliche world that's totally indifferent or antagonistic to their presence or their attitude and you watch them sort of bang themselves against it until they leave some sort of dent.
But with War on Everyone everything's amplified in that way (Mariachi band mid-gunfight) and I think Pena and Skarsgard's characters (not rly feelin up to googling the accent letters for their names) always seem so at ease in their environment and the world they inhabit that it's never a question that they're in control of the situation (and by extension - the movie) so when they're purposefully antagonizing someone it just comes off as them being assholes because the power's clearly aligned with them. Which maybe isn't a bad way to frame a movie about the police but then there's multiple scenes with Paul Reiser that make it clear their behavior is actively rejected by the police (and they succeed outside of the police) so it seems like that's not the goal.
Pena & Skarsgard (still not googling) really put their effort in and I think they sell the relationship between them but their interactions with everyone else just makes them seem like totally unlikable people. Plus like, when Gleeson makes racist/whatever comments in The Guard it's clear that he's actively tailoring those towards the audience for those remarks to gauge their reactions. But like Pena/Skarsgard are homo/transphobic even when they're just talking to each other in the car , which is fine if you want to characterize them as that way but then we see this intentionally contradicted by the ending it just means we're supposed to what, perceive them as insincere assholes?
Just bums me out because it's all so close to cohering but it just doesn't.

Yeah most of the cast is very good and there are a handful of funny one-liners but the whole thing feels very aimless and pointlessly mean-spirited without any of the humanity of JMM's earlier movies.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

wa27 posted:

Season 2 of Flaked has been out for a few days now. I'm mostly positive on it, though I haven't seen the last two episodes yet. The birthday party episode was simultaneously the funniest and saddest one yet.

I really liked it. I thought the first season was "ehh, something to watch, good enough but not great." But the second season actually had me compelled instead of just entertained enough to not shut it off.

I still totally want the soundtrack from season 2.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think Flaked is interesting because it captures a very different vibe of Venice than I get when I go to the beach. Like the show portrays Venice as a small indie town but when I'm there it's just trashy beach drunks and $100 a plate restaurants. I'm tempted to move there after my lease is up to see what it's really like. Not sure I would survive the bar scene though

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I watched Tower last night, and it was in interesting framing of the UT Austin sniper killings of 1966.

Since there wasn't a heck of a lot of archival footage from the time, it used interviews from people that were actually there/involved and incorporated voice actors/rotoscoping retelling the stories/showing it as if it had just happened recently. It was really both interesting and sad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After a few eps I'm pretty sure this season is where OITNB has totally jumped the shark. Although I guess you could argue that was last season or maybe even the season before.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LadyPictureShow posted:

I watched Tower last night, and it was in interesting framing of the UT Austin sniper killings of 1966.

Since there wasn't a heck of a lot of archival footage from the time, it used interviews from people that were actually there/involved and incorporated voice actors/rotoscoping retelling the stories/showing it as if it had just happened recently. It was really both interesting and sad

I saw it a little while back when it was on PBS, and yeah, I agree

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

After a few eps I'm pretty sure this season is where OITNB has totally jumped the shark. Although I guess you could argue that was last season or maybe even the season before.

Everything after season 1 is pretty terrible. It's like Dexter: it started really strong, but got to formulaic, maudlin and focused on the worst characters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

There's an Indonesian movie on Netflix called Headshot, it's brutal as gently caress. if you like action just watch it
Thanks for the rec, I actually had more fun with this than Raid 2. That may be blasphemous, it's not as packed or grand or operatic but it also doesn't have cheesy gimmicky lame poo poo like all of the hammer girl/bat boy stuff

Also caught Christine & Hard to be a God, all good for a variety of different reasons

veni veni veni posted:

I hate to say it, because I was really looking forward to it but The Girl With All the Gifts is incredibly mediocre. I had a hard time actually finishing it.
So was the book imho, so that's no surprise to me. Started out really promising and intriguing with the creepy school stuff and then it's just like "oh hey I'm just copying that ant fungus creepy pasta that like 8 media properties already cashed in on". Also thought the ending was stupid af

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So was the book imho, so that's no surprise to me. Started out really promising and intriguing with the creepy school stuff and then it's just like "oh hey I'm just copying that ant fungus creepy pasta that like 8 media properties already cashed in on". Also thought the ending was stupid af

I was middlin on Girl with all the Gifts; I thought the setup was creepy and mysterious enough; I liked some aspects, but like all other basic zombie things, it boils down to 'yeah, zombies'; plus the explanation felt a bit like Last of Us. Though at the end when Pady Considine's character was dying from the spore dispersal; I felt pretty sad when it came out that he hated the second gen 'hungries' because his wife was super-pregnant the last time he saw her before the outbreak

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it jumped the shark 2 seasons ago, but it kinda of redeemed itself last season. I enjoyed most of the storylines outside of Piper's. Haven't looked at this season yet, but I have a feeling if it goes bad it might be my last.

What the feeling of this season of HoC? I also thought it jumped the shark several season ago, but I found the last half of last season really good.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

The first three or so minutes of this where the group gets loose were excruciatingly precious and then when they were on stage things got even worse. Probably the fastest I've ever bailed on a movie.

I'd recommend giving it another shot, but going in I think you need to adjust your expectations. Despite having some funny people in it, it's a movie about the business, not so much a comedy. There are funny parts, but not really from the stage material which isn't really meant to be funny. If it was, they wouldn't all be struggling comedians trying to get their big break.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Simplex posted:

I'd recommend giving it another shot, but going in I think you need to adjust your expectations. Despite having some funny people in it, it's a movie about the business, not so much a comedy. There are funny parts, but not really from the stage material which isn't really meant to be funny. If it was, they wouldn't all be struggling comedians trying to get their big break.

I was definitely expecting an indie dramedy and not a comedy, but the thing with those types of movies is that if the characters don't work for you then it's hard to care about anything else that happens. I got the impression from the opening minutes that we were supposed to be witnessing *something special* but hey, I only watched a few minutes so what do I know. Mike Birbiglia's whole style just turns me off.

Also WTF people still watch Orange is the New Black?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Check out Crashing if you want a similar story but didnt quite gel with Birbiglia's movie.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

I was definitely expecting an indie dramedy and not a comedy, but the thing with those types of movies is that if the characters don't work for you then it's hard to care about anything else that happens. I got the impression from the opening minutes that we were supposed to be witnessing *something special* but hey, I only watched a few minutes so what do I know. Mike Birbiglia's whole style just turns me off.

Also WTF people still watch Orange is the New Black?

That's fair, if you aren't a fan of Birbiglia's style there's probably zero chance you'd like the movie. Personally I felt the characters and the plot worked pretty well together, with the exception of the B plot with the one guys dad. They aren't very likeable at least in the beginning but that's more because they put on a facade. When events put stress on their relationships and that facade breaks down, the characters become more empathetic and real.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Bribiglia and basically everyone involved and I thought it was...ok.

To be honest I'm really tired of "trying to make it" stories about comedians or industry insider/business side of comedy. There's just all of these movies and podcasts and comedians never seem to shut up about the business and it's really not as interesting as they think it is imo. It was interesting for a hot minute there but I just don't care anymore.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That's the beauty of it. The message isn't keep trying and you'll make it. It's "you might be hosed and toil in obscurity forever while your friends make it" which is a much more realistic message.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Yeah this is definitely not the kind of movie where you think any of these people are funny or even particularly good people. They are all failed, aging comedians who never got a chance for a big break, and have nothing to fall back on.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I still watch Orange is the New Black, and I thought last season was the best after season one. I still haven't watched the new season yet though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

I got the impression from the opening minutes that we were supposed to be witnessing *something special* but hey, I only watched a few minutes so what do I know.

To directly address this point: it is entirely consistent with the movie to think that the preciousness of the group at the beginning is a bit much, as a good chunk of the remaining run time of the movie is about deflating that.

Movie was still just pretty good to me, but it's definitely better than would be implied by taking the opening stuff as something that would go without examination.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I still watch Orange is the New Black, and I thought last season was the best after season one. I still haven't watched the new season yet though.

I've watched most of it now, and it's consistently entertaining, but it's seriously bad. I also liked the previous seasons.

The show has hit the point where it doesn't even feel grounded in reality anymore. Reminds me of the last 2 seasons of the Office.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
I have only 3 episodes to watch before I finished the actual season of House of Cards.

It's funny and interresting to see what Mr. Underwood is doing to become President and I really like the "I speak to the watcher" moments he explain his self but it feels from season to season it's getting less and less. Thats a bit sad because that are one of the core things that make HoC unique.
The ongoing story is really good and I look greedy foward to 2018 for the next season.
If you missed this show try it!
Best politican show on television since Boston Leagel but without comedy moments and more for real.

I have some interresting tipps from you noticed but atm I'm more on speechbocks as tv 😇

XenJ fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 12, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, fam, Daughters of the Dust is streaming on Netflix - this is a non-negotiable must see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Yo, fam, Daughters of the Dust is streaming on Netflix - this is a non-negotiable must see.

It's my mom's favorite movie of all time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Your mom has good taste

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Your mom has good taste

Her second fave is Orfeu Negro.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Unsurprisingly, :agreed:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

K. Waste posted:

Your mom has good taste

My mother's favorite movies are Romancing the Stone and Fletch.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Headshot is loving awesome! Thanks whoever recommended that a few pages back.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

My mother's favorite movies are Romancing the Stone and Fletch.

It's me Dr. Rosenpenis

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hi, Peter Lemongello. Your forums are on fire.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It still leaves a little to be desired, but Catfight is legit. Probably the perfect double feature with The Greasy Strangler

or after American Psycho

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 12, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, Into the Badlands is amazingly dumb. It reminds me a little of that show Revolution where the elecrticity went out so everybody welded a knuckle-duster onto a machete and decided to take up swordfighting.

Except in Badlands, they have nicer swords. And there's an entire faction of badass samurai warriors who wear fedoras.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Another gem from the Pioneers of African-American Cinema collection on Netflix: Veiled Aristocrats

The trailer is dope, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9RLl0C6hI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just watched Little Shop of Horrors for the first time since I was a little kid, and this is a loving awesome movie. My wife told me she had never seen it so I was going to just zoom through to my favorite number, but then I realized they're almost all perfect. Did they...touch up the plant's lip syncing with CGI?