Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What? I don't remember this at all.

Mario Kart 64 was the first N64 game I bought that wasn't $70. Mario 64, Wave Race, and Shadows of the Empire were all $70 when I bought them. I think MSRP was $60 but retailers weren't keen on making a dollar or two on a $60 cartridge when they were buying disc-based games for the PSX and Saturn for much cheaper.

Zelder posted:

To be fair, like 8 of the 9 first party games that they've announced aren't to your taste so it was kind of a dumb gamble

1-2 Switch, Zelda, Snipperclips, Arms, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, Splatoon 2, and Mario are the 8 Nintendo games that were announced when I bought the system in March. I own 3 of the 8 and will get Mario when it comes out, which means I'll have bought half of the first-party games I knew about before buying the system. So no, I don't really see that as being a fair argument. Rabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokken, etc. weren't even announced yet. I'm hoping for Animal Crossing, Metroid, Smash Bros (that isn't just a port of the game I already spent $100 on), Kirby, Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, or something besides a quick $60 port to be announced next week. That's what I gambled on.

Wheany posted:

Yeah, but you should wait until there are games that you want before buying the console. I didn't buy a PS4 until like 18 months after the launch.

I didn't get a PS4 until last January, but I do most of my gaming on a PC so it hasn't seen a whole lot of use, aside from Yakuza, FFXV, and Kingdom Hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

whaley posted:

Looking at old toys r us ads it looks like they averaged around 60, but I do remember some N64 games coming out at 70 dollars. Sure can't remember which though. Donkey Kong 64?

Launch period games were expensive, here Turok cost £70 and i remember only the rich kids at school getting it, us poors had to trade poo poo in.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I haven't had many problems with the joycon grip except the shoulder buttons are awkward as hell. Might need to get this before Splatoon2 hits.

Well, it is not so much that it is a problem but the pro instantly improved a bunch of games for me. The only one that's worse is BoI because the stick is too sensitive and the pad is too hard to push for character control.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

I used to go based on whether or not the system is getting a Castlevania game but obviously that metric doesn't really work anymore.

Presumably they'll make a new game to coincide with the upcoming cartoon, right?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Vikar Jerome posted:

Launch period games were expensive, here Turok cost £70 and i remember only the rich kids at school getting it, us poors had to trade poo poo in.

Turok owned. Thanks for reminding me that game existed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

rumor of the moment from a "guy working on the booths" is that Sin and Punishment by Platinum will be a surprise game

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Don't talk like that around me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/873240437934260224

I don't like this...wait maybe I do it depends on how badly Game Theory Guy will be bodied at this exhibition.

Game theory: GameFreak was WRONG about Sun/Moon!

three hour video about how necrozma looks like a fossil and trying to connect gladion and buzzwole

Vikar Jerome posted:

sounds to me like video game rental stores were a necessity back then

TurtleRock
Nov 16, 2015

Blue shells are my woes

DLC Inc posted:

rumor of the moment from a "guy working on the booths" is that Sin and Punishment by Platinum will be a surprise game

Now this is a game I wouldn't mind if they used the Joycon gyro controls on. Of course options would be nice!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Presumably they'll make a new game to coincide with the upcoming cartoon, right?

If they do it it'll probably be outsourced. IGA is making Bloodstained and MercurySteam is working on whatever this is.

The people who worked on the even older games are probably scrubbing toilets or something if they're even still there (or alive).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

spit on my clit posted:

Game theory: GameFreak was WRONG about Sun/Moon!

three hour video about how necrozma looks like a fossil and trying to connect gladion and buzzwole

sounds to me like video game rental stores were a necessity back then

No all game theories are Five Nights at Freddy now. Every last one, even the ones that aren't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DLC Inc posted:

The leaker of ARMS thought it was Platinum. Basically if it is Japanese and an action game, people assume it's Platinum.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The leaker of ARMS thought it was Platinum. Basically if it is Japanese and an action game, people assume it's Platinum.

We don't live in a world that perfect sadly

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zelder posted:

We don't live in a world that perfect sadly

Say what you will about Platinum, it's pretty clear that as a company they don't scale well. They can make as many really good games as they can, and if somebody gives them money to make more, we just get Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The lack of money was the issue there, not an abundance of it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Activision licensed property with strict time crunch and budget explains a lot but there are decisions in tmnt that those factors dont really excuse

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Are Matthew Patrick and Stephanie Patrick related?

Married

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Real hurthling! posted:

Activision licensed property with strict time crunch and budget explains a lot but there are decisions in tmnt that those factors dont really excuse

We also don't know how much of that was Platinum vs. how much of it was like the design doc that got handed to them.

Like, that Transformers game was fine. Avatar was almost fine, but it seems like its problems were mostly because they couldn't or didn't do a pass for polish.

Meanwhile both Bayonettas, Metal Gear Rising, and Nier:A are loving baller.

I'm willing to blame Activision and Nintendo for the bad Platinum games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Sure but then also that game had online multiplayer as well.

Not even trying to defend it, Scalebound looked like it was going to be similarly sorta boring. I just thought the notion of them failing TMNT because being given a ton of money was silly.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What were the lowlights of TMNT? I saw it was removed from the store but occasionally considered an $8 Craigslist copy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electromax posted:

What were the lowlights of TMNT? I saw it was removed from the store but occasionally considered an $8 Craigslist copy.

Mainly it was repetitive and boring. Every level is a plain sandbox with around 3 of 5 possible objectives (which basically boil down to killing mooks, collecting things or disabling bombs) that throw you to another part of the sandbox. The most common and boring objective is disabling/hacking a thing, in which you hold B while you hope the other turtles beat up infinite waves of braindead AIs. After everything is done, you fight a massive damage sponge. That's it, do it seven times with no real enemy escalation or variety and only 3 actual levels, one of which is poo poo and another one is rear end.

Like, if Korra was Only the first level and yet it was pushed to last twice as long but also its bosses were completely trash.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

HyperPuma posted:

im not playing super mario world on the switch today

Same... hosed up

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm willing to blame Activision and Nintendo for the bad Platinum games.

Not a single Platinum game released by Nintendo was bad. That includes Star Fox Zero/Guard

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bloodplay it again posted:

When pressing left or right on the d-pad, the controller sometimes inputs up. I never noticed it during Zelda but it happens fairly frequently in PPT and causes whoever is using the controller to accidentally insta-drop a piece at least once per game. Couldn't get into either the Wii or Wii U Xenoblade games after sinking about 8 hours into each of them, ARMS/Splatoon/rabbids don't interest me at all, and I played Hyrule Warriors enough that I could never play another musou game and be ok with it. Leaves pretty much only Mario and whatever e3 surprises we have to look forward to, in my case.

Bought everything at launch. Still need to contact Nintendo to get everything repaired.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I think all pro controllers are like that more or less.

I think it is an issue with PPT itself, although I can't speak to the Pro controller D-pad because I don't have one. But I had the same issue playing on individual joycons in the PPT demo and that's why I decided not to buy the game.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have that issue with the D-pad on things other than PPT, like text entry and poo poo. The up button is extremely sensitive.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

enojy posted:

As the thread's resident Smash hater, ohhhhh boooyyyyyy.

I hope Smash isn't Nintendo's ace in the hole for E3 because ohhhhh boooyyyyyy.

where's the tag

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I think it is an issue with PPT itself, although I can't speak to the Pro controller D-pad because I don't have one. But I had the same issue playing on individual joycons in the PPT demo and that's why I decided not to buy the game.

It's an issue with the pro controller, the same thing happened in Breath of the Wild and in the controller test page.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Not a single Platinum game released by Nintendo was bad. That includes Star Fox Zero/Guard

Star Fox Zero is good. I only wish it would have had multiplayer. You can really do some cool poo poo with the controls once you get it down.

Guard is even better and I suggest people that don't have an interest in Zero check it out. It's one of the most fun tower defense games I've played and I say that as someone that normally doesn't care for the genre.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I totally saw the dpad act up in blaster master while going right since aiming at a diagonal makes a big THUNK sound

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's a shame about the dpad in the pro controller since that's the only selling point for me to buy one. I find the joycons in the grip to be fine for tv play. Hopefully they revise it and fix the dpad then I'll pick one up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've had every Nintendo system released in NA and they've all had a bunch of decent games in the first 6 months or so, including the N64 when games were $70 for a while. My most played Switch game is a port of a game that came out over 3 years ago. I don't think it's unreasonable to gamble on a Nintendo console's first year of games because it has paid off every time except with the Wii U.

Is it possible to discuss the negative points of a console in its Games thread or would more people like to act as if my disappointment is a personal affront to them and I'm a big ol dumb dumb for not wanting to play a rabbids game?

I mean you can do what you want man, you're the one saying you feel like a chump for buying a Switch because apparently the currently announced stuff isn't enough to justify your purchase. Which is fine! People have different tastes. If you had followed my advice you wouldn't feel like a chump.

Personally having BOTW portable, Mario Odyssey, Monster Hunter, Splatoon 2, and the various indie stuff that I never played but would love to play portable (shovel Knight, stardew valley, etc) are worth it to me. That's why I bought a Switch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Guard is even better and I suggest people that don't have an interest in Zero check it out. It's one of the most fun tower defense games I've played and I say that as someone that normally doesn't care for the genre.

Haha no way

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/873291131634802688

Well, it beats mountain dew

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's actually bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's actually bad.

I meant no way someone could think that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

What the Hell is Pepsi Fire?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*is old and had to google Pepsi Fire*

That was in relation to myself btw, not mocking you for not knowing a pepsi drink I just pick bad times to post poo poo.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 9, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well, it beats mountain dew

no! that poo poo gave me a stomachache. gently caress if im drinking that again. pepsi with way too much cinnamon is a bad road to go down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Please don't drink soda, even if they give you items for your favorite video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Infinitum posted:

Supposedly the E3 Direct is focusing specifically on games coming out in 2017

So Smash Bros before the end of the year = gigantic system seller

Like Nintendo are going to have ALL their first party IPs out before year end. It's absolutely nuts and unprecedented.

I just hope we actually get a new Mario Kart and new Smash Bros in a few years for the Switch. They were already really lazy with 8DX having no new racing tracks.

• Locked thread