Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

maskenfreiheit posted:

i said qatar is a slave owning dictatorship and it wouldn't be the worst thing if they got invaded, which broke the circlejerk, which pissed off their new tankie mod

If that's what you think you said, take a communication class, because everyone else read it as "I don't care if slaves die for their masters in a war."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Love conquers hate, everyone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If that's what you think you said, take a communication class, because everyone else read it as "I don't care if slaves die for their masters in a war."

His position also necessitates the invasion of Hong Kong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

Or, and hear me out, they open up to grandpa, and help him work through his prejudices and they can all grow to be better people?

Step 1 is making him understand that physically assaulting his daughter's fiance and telling her he never wants to see them have kids is not ok. Cutting him out at least for the time being is 100% the right move even from a standpoint of reconciliation. If he does not understand the consequences of his actions he'll never have any motivation to change.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Also racist dad has made no effort to be not racist in the years dating. He just hid it like a good suburban.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The dad trained the fiance in realty and took him on vacations.

Dad sounds like a giant pussy who was hoping that if he just smiled and nodded long enough the "problem" would go away.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Like, if you assault someone before their wedding for no good reasons it's not their responsibility to sit down and try to reconcile things so that you can feel better about your utter failures as a human being.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Legality of my photos of my husband in our home [OH] (self.legaladvice)

quote:

So this could be a r/relationships post but I think I will probably resolve it with the legal side... Anyway, last night my husband and I had a few drinks and watched some tv, and I took a photo of him with my phone while he was watching. It is, or I should say it was, of his face and upper torso, fully clothed, looking off at the tv. I was sitting next to him on the couch, to give you an idea what the photo looked like. My husband is a handsome guy, granted he had a bit of rbf, but who doesn't when they're concentrating. Anyway, he demanded that I delete it and I declined. He escalated with some playful biting and tickling and I thought we were just playing around. He kept demanding that I delete it and I continued to refuse. At some point he turned very serious, raised his voice, and said that he wasn't joking, I needed to delete it. I said fine, and did from my phone, but a backup was stored online. He immediately realized this, made me delete it there too, and accused me of lying about deleting it because I didn't immediately delete the backup. I felt like he overreacted about the whole thing, but I agreed to willingly delete future photos of him that he doesn't like as a favor to him. He wasn't satisfied without me admitting that I was wrong, and that he has a right to privacy in his own home. So we went to bed angry.

This morning, he started up again with asking if I was ready to apologize, that he has a right to privacy in his own home, and that I legally and ethically did something wrong. Is that true? What takes legal precedence, his right to approve photos of himself in our home, or mine to take photos in our home? Assuming those photos are not compromising in any way. Does that legally make a difference?

We're in Ohio, and both our names are on the lease.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lady, pro-tip, your husband is either a wanted criminal, having an affiar, or a sexy combination.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

maskenfreiheit posted:

Holy crap, that guy has issues. But what's rbf...resting bitch face? Seriously?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yes nobody has ever changed thier views or overcome character flaws after having children or grandchildren come into thier life. People never, ever change. And it is a super geat idea to marry someone who has irreconcilable differences with your family.

I don't blame the guy for not wanting to deal with him, but at that point maybe he shouldn't go through with the marriage because it is gonna be a huge problem down the road if they have kids and thier mom wants the grandparents to be a part of thier lifw.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Plenty of people change. I used to dislike carrots. But if you're so loving racist that you charge at your daughter's fiance when they announce their engagement, you might be a lost cause.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The eventual baby is going to get dropkicked so hard.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It sounds like he realized he was wrong and is try to make ammends so no, probably not.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sorry, but you're on the outs until you have two strong character witnesses from prominent black people such as Billy Dee Williams or LeVar Burton.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
THE COURTS HATE THIS! One weird trick to get out of jail free!

I disputed a credit card charge for bail as soon as I got out.

OP posted:

Maybe a hasty move. What repercussions can come from this? I was feeling and still do that I was really wronged by a small town police dept. it was less than $700. I was so angry I call d and reversed the charge. I am going to contest by mail as I was out of state. Anything to worry about or something I should be aware of?

OP posted:

Didn't pay a bail bondsman. Payed in jail. With my credit card. CC company asked me if I gave them my card. I said no since they took it, but told them I did sign the slip as it was my only way out. I guess the better idea is to fight the charge and if win get the money back. Thanks for the responses this far. I probably will delete this soon as I seem to have won some sort of idiot award. This is not a regular event for me so I just reacted and I guess in the wrong way. Never been though this before.

quote:

You abject moron. It's BAIL. You don't get the money back if you "fight the charge." You get the money back after you SHOW UP and the case is heard and disposed of.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

therobit posted:

It sounds like he realized he was wrong and is try to make ammends so no, probably not.

Maybe. Just imagine if every time they reconciled, he slipped back and did something heinous.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 10, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Danaru posted:

but if you reverse the charge you won't get any airline miles dumbass

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

clearly the father who assaulted the son in law because he's black is the real victim here

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

quote:

If you cannot reverse the charge back, you should get a lawyer ASAP to handle the inevitable warrant.

Expect said lawyer to not take a credit card.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My dad [51M] thinks the guy [31M] that I'm going out with is using me [21F]

quote:

I'm 21 years old and my dad found out I'm dating a 31 year old and now he's disappointed in me and says that I'm being used and that I need to find someone my age.. he told me that he thought I was smarter than that and don't let my first male experience be from a guy who's trying to use me and he said he was a clown and that I'm running after the 31 year old and he's not running after me I don't want to stop seeing him but maybe I should my dad has only had one conversation with this guy but I feel like he maybe wrong and maybe right

Tl:DR; even though this guy treats me like a gentleman I don't want to be gullible he's really sweet and he asks can he come and see me a lot. He microwaves my food at work put my lunch up for me he bought me bath and body works on Mother's Day and when I ask him to bring me a hot pocket or cookies he brings it to work for me. I need advice from experienced people

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

La Brea Carpet posted:

I can't stop laughing at the mention of a hot pocket and I don't know why.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

I can't stop laughing at the mention of a hot pocket and I don't know why.

Hot pocket delivery is the mark of a gentleman

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Love to buy my college aged girlfriend Bath and Body Works on Mother's day

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

La Brea Carpet posted:

I like how the TL;DR is almost as long as the original story. What is punctuation?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

not to say his reaction was appropriate but considering the lady is literally going to reddit so she can tell him that she's technically right about the legality it feels like the sorta situation where he's already expressed he doesn't like having his picture taken and she's just ignoring it. There's a bunch of mundane stuff in some relationships that don't work in others cause of personal preferences and if it's already been talked about there's no logicing around their preferences. Like just cause my gf is okay with playing grabass doesn't mean I'd ignore someone else who said that they didn't enjoy that kind of affection outside the bedroom, if I kept doing it and they eventually strongly reacted it would not be "oh man look at how she overreacted" because their reaction would be to a trend of behavior and not simply an individual incident.

I dunno you're views may vary but it feels a bit like "I've been consistently pushing a certain button until they blew up and want validation over their button being wrong".

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 10, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

therobit posted:

Judging by the OP's comments it sounds more like he's scrambling about the consequences of his actions rather than really apologetic about them. If he was truly sorry he'd be willing to wait for actual forgiveness rather than trying to force them into it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

not to say his reaction was appropriate but considering the lady is literally going to reddit so she can tell him that she's technically right about the legality it feels like the sorta situation where he's already expressed he doesn't like having his picture taken and she's just ignoring it. There's a bunch of mundane stuff in some relationships that don't work in others cause of personal preferences and if it's already been talked about there's no logicing around their preferences. Like just cause my gf is okay with playing grabass doesn't mean I'd ignore someone else who said that they didn't enjoy that kind of affection outside the bedroom, if I kept doing it and they eventually strongly reacted it would not be "oh man look at how she overreacted" because their reaction would be to a trend of behavior and not simply an individual incident.

I dunno you're views may vary but it feels a bit like "I've been consistently pushing a certain button until they blew up and want validation over their button being wrong".

yeah "i'm legally allowed to do this so you can't complain" is not the best ammo in a lover's quarrel

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

That could very well be the case, although it's possible I tend towards that because I generally don't like getting my picture taken either

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

yeah "i'm legally allowed to do this so you can't complain" is not the best ammo in a lover's quarrel

once this lady finds out about no fault divorce she's going to regret reading up on admiralty flags

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Yeah I mean I can't say for sure just her general wording and no mention of whether or not he's usually okay with that kind of thing simply comes across to me as her fishing for e-people to back up her crossing a boundary she's already been told about.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah I mean I can't say for sure just her general wording and no mention of whether or not he's usually okay with that kind of thing simply comes across to me as her fishing for e-people to back up her crossing a boundary she's already been told about.

can you show me where in the ohio criminal code that it says "crossing boundaries" is illegal?

:goonsay:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So tell me about lying to your SO to manipulate them AC

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea my dad was racist until I was a teenager, and overheard him telling my brother not to date someone not 'his kind.' Me being a dumb teenager and pretty sheltered, I thought he meant that my brother was wanting to date a guy or someone a few years younger. I found out my dad was a horrible racist after the divorce; my mom had managed to keep the lid on him in that regard.

gently caress I still remember in the 80s, a new family moving in, and my mom cautioning us kids that the kids in the new house were...a bit special, and if she ever found out we had made fun of them or called them names, she'd ground us for a year. So we imagined the kids were mutants, like X-men, or were maybe even like the kids from The Wrinkle in Time. Imagine our disappointment when the kids showed up and their dad was black, mom was white, and kids were biracial. I was hoping for a green or purple or winged best friend. The fact she was just a normal kid bummed me out horribly.

I do like how the lady in that story is insisting it's no big deal and she totally wants her abusive racist dad at the wedding. Because that can't go wrong at all.

No, invite him! And then Facetime live the entire reception. It will be glorious.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
that lady's a piece of poo poo and her fiancé should leave her

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
hmmmm

Wife [28f]yells at me [29m] in her native language whenever she's upset, and refuses to teach our child [2m] in anything but her language. How to get her to listen to me?

quote:

My wife and I have been together for over 9 years, but married for 4. Some years ago, I went abroad to study, and that's when I met her, we came back to the states and eventually got married. Even through she speaks fluent English, she still speaks in her native language quite a lot.She tells me it helps her to feel less homesick, as she still does suffer from becoming homesick, even after all these years of being here.

There is only one problem about this that is starting to cause some tension among us, and that's when it comes to our child (2 yr old). I do my best to read to him in English and speak to him in English whenever I'm around him, but its not seeming to have any effect on him anymore.

Due to my work schedule and my wife being a stay at home mom, she is around our child a lot more than I am, and therefor has the most impact on him when it comes to what he's learning.

I don't have any problem with raising our baby bilingual, as we both agreed on that, but at this point I can't understand anything he's saying. Every time I try to tell him to do something, or even talk to him, he just looks at me blankly. She's hidden all of our English books because she says it "confuses him" and whenever we are together and I do start to speak to him she stops me and tells me to say it in the language he will understand. I don't know if she doesn't want him to learn for some reason, but whenever I ask her she just simply states, "He'll learn that one day".

We're still trying to get over her habit of "venting" at me in her language (which I'm pretty sure is more than just ranting) but now I feel as if I'm having no say in when it comes to raising our baby. Whenever we argue or disagree on something I don't want to have to feel like I can't talk to her either. We've talked many times about this but she always goes back to doing it again. How else can I get through to her?

tl;dr: Wife is raising baby mainly in her native language and stops me everytime I try to teach him English. She's started to yell at me in her native language when upset as well and I'm fed up. How else can I get through to her?

obviously this is a weird situation, but it's still loving hilarious that not once does he think that maybe he ought to learn this language as well

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So tell me about lying to your SO to manipulate them AC

I think it's more likely the person going to reddit to score points in an argument is misrepresenting the situation than that dude knowingly lying about law on who is allowed to take pictures of you in your own home without your permission but ymmv. I dunno, maybe I'm just reading into it too much but the total lack of background plus the obvious goal of "see, I'm right" with a one sided story just rubs me the wrong way.

e: it just comes across as them being more concerned with being correct than an actual mutually agreeable conclusion

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 10, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I think it's more likely the person going to reddit to score points in an argument is misrepresenting the situation than that dude knowingly lying about law on who is allowed to take pictures of you in your own home without your permission but ymmv. I dunno, maybe I'm just reading into it too much but the total lack of background plus the obvious goal of "see, I'm right" with a one sided story just rubs me the wrong way.

Hint: it's not illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Hint: it's not illegal.

My point sorta entirely hinges on that not being the point